Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

life is a joke posted:

after all the pointless whining i did on this page, they end up releasing a live one today that sounds good and they roll with the shouting etc.
i wanna see them live some time.

That was the show I was going to go to but it sold out before I could get tickets :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
They should come to Rochester, NY. My fair city has been mentioned a handful of times already in the show. Most notably with the insane Taxidermist guy. Ward's Natual Science still exists!

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

life is a joke posted:

after all the pointless whining i did on this page, they end up releasing a live one today that sounds good and they roll with the shouting etc.
i wanna see them live some time.
This is definitely preferable the weird silent ones they've put out, but it does show why they try to turn down the crowd noise-- they go "wooo!" so many times, and for such flimsy reasons. Surprisingly, Gareth seems to get sick of it before Dave does.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

waffles beyond waffles posted:

They should come to Rochester, NY. My fair city has been mentioned a handful of times already in the show. Most notably with the insane Taxidermist guy. Ward's Natual Science still exists!

They should come to Honolulu instead because no one cool ever comes here.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
'Blood puked his jaw off' is right up there with 'Babe Ruth'd lightning,' js.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Old Boot posted:

That's the kind of thing you can start a religion about. I don't know why he did all the "gold plates" stuff.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Waaaaaaaaah! People are mean!

quote:

So, I'm going to reel in my interaction with fans of the Dollop. The vast majority of you are great. By far. There's just a group of complainers who are basically relentless.

Recently we did three weekends of shows in a row. 9 shows in three weeks. Tons of writing, tons of travel. That's a shitload of work. So much so that I was exhausted to the point my body was aching.

While the episodes we uploaded were well received, holy poo poo some people just can't stop themselves. Emails, facebook messages, tweets, about how much they don't like the live episodes. It's just tedious to put in that much work and then have a bunch of people give us poo poo.

I'm not a fan of live albums by bands. So I don't listen to them. What I don't do is write to the band and tell them that.

Anyway, I've sort of reached a breaking point now with complaints. If it's not this it's something else. I'm just going to not read much as far as messages here and I won't be looking at comments. Same goes for Twitter. Emails I will read once a week.

Sorry. I obviously appreciate all of you who are normal and supportive.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Honestly I can’t blame him. I would have even less tolerance for people’s poo poo than he has.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Binowru posted:

Honestly I can’t blame him. I would have even less tolerance for people’s poo poo than he has.

Same. He says what 99% of his colleagues would say if they weren’t terrified of the consequences. Dave’s experienced enough to know that the kind of person who gets mad about an entertainer they don’t pay watching out for his mental health isn’t the type of “fan” to coddle.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

head58 posted:

On the other hand, gently caress those people? The live episodes own.

dougdougdougdoug
Jun 10, 2016

head58 posted:

He's is done dealing with jerks.

Seems 100% reasonable.

He said on the Reddit thread about this they drove Gareth away a while ago.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

head58 posted:

lol you're one of those people aren't you

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Previa_fun posted:

I think it's more the fact that it's the most Dave Anthony thing to do to leave in a visible huff with a screed instead of just quietly stopping the interaction and ignoring these kind of people. The kind of people he's calling out aren't going to have their behavior changed by a post like this.

That said, it's still absolutely understandable he feels this way. Fandoms (all fandoms) are the worst, and I hope doing this makes them both feel better about continue to do and enjoy the show.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Previa_fun posted:

Nope, I like the live shows just fine and have never complained about the sound quality. But Dave’s just the sort of guy who puts on a big show of being a tough guy who gives no fucks but who throws big dramatic tantrums when things don’t go his way. I can’t imagine that the number of complainers compared to the number of weekly downloads was significant. Just ignore them and go to sleep on your pile of Talkspace money.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

head58 posted:

Nope, I like the live shows just fine and have never complained about the sound quality. But Dave’s just the sort of guy who puts on a big show of being a tough guy who gives no fucks but who throws big dramatic tantrums when things don’t go his way. I can’t imagine that the number of complainers compared to the number of weekly downloads was significant. Just ignore them and go to sleep on your pile of Talkspace money.

Why do you care so much.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Cael posted:

I think it's more the fact that it's the most Dave Anthony thing to do to leave in a visible huff with a screed instead of just quietly stopping the interaction and ignoring these kind of people. The kind of people he's calling out aren't going to have their behavior changed by a post like this.

Right but if he just ghosted all his normal, well-adjusted fans without saying what's up that would be a dick move too. Best to give folk a heads up.

head58 posted:

It's also a bit weird to get annoyed about someone being rightly peeved about getting moaned at relentlessly, you get that the dude has his own inner life and isn't obligated to take people's poo poo without rancour, right?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The live show owns.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Cael posted:

That said, it's still absolutely understandable he feels this way. Fandoms (all fandoms) are the worst, and I hope doing this makes them both feel better about continue to do and enjoy the show.

It is the most Dave Anthony thing to do - but it's also the decent thing to let the non-jerkasses know "hey, I'm not ignoring this place because fame has gotten to me and I'm too big for my proverbial britches, it's just all the jerkasses are bringing me down, man." That's how you keep non-jerkasses from thinking you're an entitled twat and becoming jerkasses about it.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
If this is what you call a screed or tantrum then just lol

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Yeah. DA is capable of both, but this seems fine.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dave tweeted a picture of Virgil Texas, so we might be getting another Chapo crossover

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Old Boot posted:

Speaking of which, who was the guy who babe ruth'd lightning again? I remember it was kind of a non sequitor at the end.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Rochallor posted:

Speaking of which, who was the guy who babe ruth'd lightning again? I remember it was kind of a non sequitor at the end.

278 - James Otis

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

head58 posted:

Dave’s just the sort of guy who puts on a big show of being a tough guy who gives no fucks

I see you've listened to his album, Coolhead.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
gently caress yeah Wobblies.

Oh noooo America.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
The sheriff was drunk

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

MonsieurChoc posted:

gently caress yeah Wobblies.

Oh noooo America.

Not an emptyquote. Also, funny he should talk about amazon.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm back on the Dollop train again, and just listened to the jetpack episode. I expected it to be about the history of crazy jetpack invention attempts, but no, it's Record of the Rocket Wars holy gently caress.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I’m not sure if I’m emotionally ready for Dave finally getting to Blackwater.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Imagine if you will, a worse company than Uber.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

"Comedians Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds examine super rich guy Erik Prince and his contributions to humanity."

Serf
May 5, 2011

lmao dave and gary are gonna get into a mysterious accident with one of those self-driving ubers

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
It's so funny that Dave tagged it "live" just to piss people off - I came in and was talking about it with my Dollop converts at work, and they were apprehensive about the live tag.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Heads up: The Netflix documentary series "Wild Wild Country" covers Acharya Rajneesh from Episode 22 (the Indian sex cult that tried to poison people with salmonella and bussed in homeless people to sway elections). Haven't watched it yet but heard good reviews.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
https://twitter.com/thedollop/status/978898188336844800?s=19

Jesus Christ :magical:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Aw hell. I'm not even halfway through the first one yet. :smith:

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Jesus Christ, Mike Hindmarsh, the retired Australian general-cum-mercenary butcher in command of making Yemeni children poo poo themselves to death mid starvation is a Prince hire :stare:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

General Cum Mercenary is a good username.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Stolen valour, imo. Disrespectful to our pmc boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Dave's been tweeting horrific things from the Reagan administration the last couple of weeks. I'm not sure I want an extended look at that American nightmare. :ohdear: