Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I'm a fairly lean guy, my wrist is around 17cm. What is a good watch band that gives a fairly even pressure distribution over such a squashed cylinder (4.5cm/6cm) shape and breaths well enough to not get gross/smelly/uncomfortable when running? I imagine the Nike one with holes is best? Although I feel like a more flexible fabric band might work better since I hate tight watch bands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Holy poo poo this watch is drat good.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

cowofwar posted:

I'm a fairly lean guy, my wrist is around 17cm. What is a good watch band that gives a fairly even pressure distribution over such a squashed cylinder (4.5cm/6cm) shape and breaths well enough to not get gross/smelly/uncomfortable when running? I imagine the Nike one with holes is best? Although I feel like a more flexible fabric band might work better since I hate tight watch bands.

I doubt the Nike band is gonna help with the sweatiness, but probably better than the regular sport band. Sport loop is probably the most comfortable of them all.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Zwille posted:

I doubt the Nike band is gonna help with the sweatiness, but probably better than the regular sport band. Sport loop is probably the most comfortable of them all.

I have the Nike band and it's way better than the Sport loop in terms of sweatiness.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How does the Apple Watch nightstand mode know how to pick up taps? I just tap the corner of my bed and the watch on the nightstand knows I did something. Is it some super fine movement detector or mic listening for a thump? It’s really cool.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Accelerometers.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

How does the Apple Watch nightstand mode know how to pick up taps? I just tap the corner of my bed and the watch on the nightstand knows I did something. Is it some super fine movement detector or mic listening for a thump? It’s really cool.

That really is the best part of nightstand mode. I just tap my nightstand too and it lights up. Smart of them to put it in super sensitive mode for that.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That really is the best part of nightstand mode. I just tap my nightstand too and it lights up. Smart of them to put it in super sensitive mode for that.

Super sensitive. Mine triggers when I walk around on the other side of a (reasonably large) bedroom.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

What’s the best run tracking app that I can use on the watch sans phone ? Something that tells me if GPS is connected , tracks GPS and heart rate, etc. I’ve been using he Nike app but honestly it’s not great compared to the Garmin system I’ve used with my Forerunner in the past.

Also if the apps data is visible on the web and can be exported easily, those would be big ++.

I guess I just wish Garmin made an app for the Apple Watch using their Garmin Connect system... but I guess that would lead to fewer. Hardware sales for them :argh:

tonic fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 17, 2018

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Froist posted:

Super sensitive. Mine triggers when I walk around on the other side of a (reasonably large) bedroom.

:btroll:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tonic posted:

What’s the best run tracking app that I can use on the watch sans phone ? Something that tells me if GPS is connected , tracks GPS and heart rate, etc. I’ve been using he Nike app but honestly it’s not great compared to the Garmin system I’ve used with my Forerunner in the past.

Also if the apps data is visible on the web and can be exported easily, those would be big ++.

I guess I just wish Garmin made an app for the Apple Watch using their Garmin Connect system... but I guess that would lead to fewer. Hardware sales for them :argh:

Strava

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

tonic posted:

My experiences:
Nike Run Club - ok UI and tracking, but your data is stuck in their ecosystem.
Strava - good UI, but is loving infuriating when you go to check your distance mid-run and it auto-pauses because you aren't swinging your arm anymore. It seems to judge auto-pause on whether your arm is moving, and not by, say GPS movement. The alternative is to completely turn off auto-pause, which sucks.
RunKeeper - good UI, but it doesn't seem to take more than a GPS sample every 15-secs or so, so you get a bunch of cut corners when you look at the map afterward.
iSmoothRun - Paid app, but is good. I haven't used it a ton yet, but it seems to do a great job and is super customizable. And can auto-export your data to other ecosystems, like Strava/Garmin/whatever. This is my preference out of all the apps so far.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

tonic posted:

ChetReckless posted:

iSmoothRun has a pretty decent watch app that is highly customizable. You can have it automatically export your runs to whatever services you want, including Strava, Runkeeper, Nike+, and (my favourite) Smashrun. I mostly use Smashrun but like certain aspects of Strava -- this way, I don't have to choose one over the other, I just upload to both.

I have a Series 2 so I generally don't run just without my phone, but it supports "watch" and "watch + phone" modes. I know there are plenty of options for audio cues from the phone, not sure if the watch mirrors them without the phone around.

Yes it's a paid app, but it's absolutely worth it as far as I'm concerned. It's well maintained and feature rich.

edit - http://www.coachmag.co.uk/fitness-apps/7026/the-one-app-runners-with-an-apple-watch-should-download

It will upload your run data to Garmin Connect if you're still using that. I know 'GPS signal' is one of the customizations you can make to the running display, though I don't know if it will show connection before you start a run (I always run with my phone and it's displayed there).

It doesn't have it's own web interface but I consider that a plus since I'm already using other services for that and I appreciate that I don't have to have another. The app is just there is collect all your data (and it collects a lot) and push it through to the more established services. The running interface is still good, though.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I got the watch for monitoring my blood sugar via cgms complication but I’m actually enjoying it for everything else. Nice to not take out your phone to check on whatever notification you received. I seem to notice the watch vibration a lot more than my phone as well.

I track my runs with strava on my phone, does the strava watch app murder the battery?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

cowofwar posted:

I got the watch for monitoring my blood sugar via cgms complication but I’m actually enjoying it for everything else. Nice to not take out your phone to check on whatever notification you received. I seem to notice the watch vibration a lot more than my phone as well.

I track my runs with strava on my phone, does the strava watch app murder the battery?

I haven’t noticed it be any worse vs say using the built in workout app.

If you have a series 3 even doing a multi hour run the battery will still last all day and then some.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Huh? You can barely run a 4-hour marathon with the watch using GPS on the S3 LTE.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

cowofwar posted:

I don’t run (because it is proof Satan exists and wants to punish us) but I use Strava for biking. I regularly take my S2 out for 5-6 hour rides and come back with about 45% battery left.

For me at least, 45% is plenty to the end the day on.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Huh? You can barely run a 4-hour marathon with the watch using GPS on the S3 LTE.

I remember you ranting about this earlier - that’s crazy. Wonder if tracking Bike vs tracking Run just has significant battery perf differences?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I think he's actually blasting LTE during those 4 hours. That would do it.

But if you just put four hours of music on the watch a S2 or S3 will get you through a mara with many hours to spare.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, that's streaming music for sure. I'm sure if you put music on the watch, it'd make a massive difference. I just haven't bothered to do that because I like having my whole library available, and I don't run marathon distances anymore. I just get annoyed when I go for a lunch run and my watch goes down 40%. The battery is probably my biggest complaint, especially when my old Garmin can go like 3 weeks without charging. Yeah, I know the AW is doing a ton more stuff, but still, I really wish the battery life was way better.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah, that's streaming music for sure. I'm sure if you put music on the watch, it'd make a massive difference. I just haven't bothered to do that because I like having my whole library available, and I don't run marathon distances anymore. I just get annoyed when I go for a lunch run and my watch goes down 40%. The battery is probably my biggest complaint, especially when my old Garmin can go like 3 weeks without charging. Yeah, I know the AW is doing a ton more stuff, but still, I really wish the battery life was way better.

I mean I get what you are saying it’s just not realistic and probably won’t be for years. Especially with the way battery technology is. I mean the cell radios will definitely get more efficient same with everything else but the battery in the watch is pretty drat small so it’s probably going to be years before we get multiple days out of an LTE watch.

My remark on battery life definitely was not counting on using LTE for a whole run.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Thanks for the iSmoothRun recommendations, this app is great. I love how customizable it is.

Does the Apple Watch just not accurately report heart rates during exercise ? I noticed today mine jumped up over 200 and then down below 90 a bunch during my run. Is there something I can do to fix this?

Also, what app are you all using to stream music over LTE with the watch? Apple Music can sync music but I don’t see an option to stream from my watch.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tonic posted:

Thanks for the iSmoothRun recommendations, this app is great. I love how customizable it is.

Does the Apple Watch just not accurately report heart rates during exercise ? I noticed today mine jumped up over 200 and then down below 90 a bunch during my run. Is there something I can do to fix this?

Also, what app are you all using to stream music over LTE with the watch? Apple Music can sync music but I don’t see an option to stream from my watch.

Maybe wear your watch tighter? Mine does the same thing for whatever reason which is why I switched to a Polar Strap.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Maybe wear your watch tighter? Mine does the same thing for whatever reason which is why I switched to a Polar Strap.

But not too tight... because then you're restricting blood flow and it distorts the HR reading. It should be snug but you should be able to slip your pinky finger under the strap and then it should feel completely tight.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I did an hour 11k run at consistent speed and it only got 1 heart rate reading over 100bpm. Not sure why it took so few readings. Looking at the plots it normally takes a read every 5 min but while on my run it didn't take any and then I got a high reading right at the very end before it started reading every 5 min again.

Weird.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I take it you didn’t actually start a run in the app? It won’t poll the sensor often unless you do.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Has anyone else had the issue where they take the watch off the dock after being on all night and its only at 93%? This has happened a few times and it seems to correct itself the next day but I'm curious if its some weird battery issue.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Agronox posted:

I take it you didn’t actually start a run in the app? It won’t poll the sensor often unless you do.

So if I start a run in iSmoothRun instead of the standard workout app... is this why the watch is polling for HR so infrequently ?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

tonic posted:

So if I start a run in iSmoothRun instead of the standard workout app... is this why the watch is polling for HR so infrequently ?

My last couple of runs I have been lazy and haven't used my chest strap HRM, just the watch itself. The heart rate readings were fairly frequent (from the Health app):

The iSmoothRun entries were all added simultaneously at the end of the run, while the Apple Watch entries were all added as they were taken. The 'source' is given as my watch, and the 'heart rate context' is listed as workout. I am only starting the iSmoothRun app, not touching the Workout app. Going through the entire workout there are stretches where there are several iSmoothRun entries in a row, but the Apple Watch entries are never more than a minute apart and usually are several per minute. I don't know if it means anything, but I'm also bringing my phone along as I only have a Series 2. It also started pulling readings almost immediately -- apparently I started the run at 0851 and there are 6 readings in the 0852 minute from the Watch.

Plenty of data over the course of the run between the two 'sources':

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Some workout apps won’t up the HR frequency if you start the workout from your phone, not sure about that app in particular.

But for cowofwar's problem, one possibility is ... if you don’t start a workout, the watch may not take the usual (I.e. every 5 or 6 minutes) HR reading if it thinks you’re moving a lot. It wasn’t that way originally, but I can’t remember when they changed it.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I started the run on my Watch. I ended it on the Phone because the uploads work better for me that way.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Some workout apps won’t up the HR frequency if you start the workout from your phone, not sure about that app in particular.

But for cowofwar's problem, one possibility is ... if you don’t start a workout, the watch may not take the usual (I.e. every 5 or 6 minutes) HR reading if it thinks you’re moving a lot. It wasn’t that way originally, but I can’t remember when they changed it.
Why do I need to start a workout when the watch has an accelerometer and GPS and knows when I am running? Seems ridiculous to have to tell it that I am running when the same goddamn app can report to me later that I was running during that time yet didn't record heart rate data because I didn't tell it I was running during that time.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

cowofwar posted:

Why do I need to start a workout when the watch has an accelerometer and GPS and knows when I am running? Seems ridiculous to have to tell it that I am running when the same goddamn app can report to me later that I was running during that time yet didn't record heart rate data because I didn't tell it I was running during that time.
Partially cause it's dumb, but mostly cause afaik HR and GPS eat battery life and don't run continuously as a result. I do think HR should just be auto switched to continuous recording given enough accelerometer action though. I think it gives exercise ring credit if you're moving enough, but seems kinda useless cause it also disables the HR reading during those times. I'd guess cause single samples are slow and/or unreliable when not steady?...which would be even more reason to switch to continuous reading :downs:.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

japtor posted:

I'd guess cause single samples are slow and/or unreliable when not steady?
Apple never said, but this is a reasonable guess. Especially since the passive HR monitoring only uses the infrared sensors and not the green LEDs. I’m pretty sure that’s the case at least.

Looked it up and they made that change real early. 1.0.1 in fact.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Apple never said, but this is a reasonable guess. Especially since the passive HR monitoring only uses the infrared sensors and not the green LEDs. I’m pretty sure that’s the case at least.

Also battery life. Probably would be costly for it to start and stop that subsystem over and over every time you spike your heart rate a little.

Given apple’s obsession battery life, that’s probably a likely reason.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Are you sure about the infrared thing? I see the green LEDs turn on pretty regularly when I’m just sitting around. Right now, in fact.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No, that’s why I said “pretty sure”. Could be. Personally I can’t remember ever seeing green unless I’m in a workout or explicitly taking a measurement via the pulse complication/app, but I don’t look at the bottom of my watch often.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Yeah it’s definitely on from time to time when not on a workout.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anyone else having an issue with indoor swims on the workout app giving you totally wrong distance readings?

Mine are STARTING at like 9 or 10 KM.
The number just stays there throughout the entire workout, even though the lengths counter works fine and when you finish the workout, it logs the proper distance.

S2 on the latest OS!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm having issues of slow wake when I turn my wrist to see the time on my S2. How often do you need to reboot these things to keep them running fast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I only reboot mine when there's an update and don't have any problems