Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Odd Mutant posted:

I played a bunch of Victor VRam on the computer. The ways in which it differentiates itself from other Diablo clones are pretty weird and the character design for Victor and his costumes are all dumb (one of his outfits has a tophat made of steel with a giant "V" on it) but it's still a really fun game that controlled great with the controller.

Well you and I have different definitions of dumb.

e; gonna check the game out thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I was wondering how long it would take a Diablolike to get onto the Switch, that's always seemed like a genre that'd be great portable. Victor Vran is legit pretty fun as they go too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finally getting around to Mario Rabbids and this game is great. I was really skeptical of comments I’ve heard about it improving on stuff from XCOM but I’m a believer now. The focus on aggressive play is great. I still don’t think I’d call it better than XCOM or anything but it certainly is enough of its own thing that I’m glad that both of them exist.

The only things I don’t like is that I find the overworld pretty confusing at times, and even after like 4 hours my brain cannot process that I am controlling this roomba and not Mario, which makes the controls feel lovely even though they aren’t.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Finally getting around to Mario Rabbids and this game is great. I was really skeptical of comments I’ve heard about it improving on stuff from XCOM but I’m a believer now. The focus on aggressive play is great. I still don’t think I’d call it better than XCOM or anything but it certainly is enough of its own thing that I’m glad that both of them exist.

The only things I don’t like is that I find the overworld pretty confusing at times, and even after like 4 hours my brain cannot process that I am controlling this roomba and not Mario, which makes the controls feel lovely even though they aren’t.

Whatever year they patch out the roomba will be the year mario+rabbids becomes GOTY

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

veni veni veni posted:

That took me the longest god drat time to get used to. I overshot so many pipes and other interactables because I forgot I wasn't actually controlling Mario himself.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

The top down Kirby's Air Ride races were so fun. Drifting around the turns was great.

Wow, somebody posting about Kirby's Air Ride and not just gushing over City Trial. That's refreshing!

And just reminds me how much I want more City Trial.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah it's a cool sidegrade of xcom with less RNG and the focus being on each map being kind of a puzzle.

The movement option you get in it are also really great.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I was a huge Kirby's Tilt and Tumble fan back in the day.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

is Flinthook on switch worth a buy? i have a bunch of dollars in nintendo points so id get it pretty discounted

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Lol who the gently caress is Victor Vranv? This looks like some weird team fortress 2 fan art.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

deep dish peat moss posted:

You also unlock a Boss Rush mode where you pick your starting power and three allies and are stuck with that team, then you take on boss waves. You do play as Kirby in this one. Both modes can of course be played co-op.

You can actually play as the helpers in Boss Rush mode as well. If you press X when selecting a power at the start you can switch between Kirby and the power's respective helper.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I was going to say that Victor Vran was a cool game, but I'm thinking of Van Helsing on Steam.

Helsing good, no idea about Vran.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Vran is an okay action RPG with an extremely goofy sense of humor.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I can think of two problems with luncheon kingdom. It doesn't feel like a living place like most of them do. It's more like a series of obstacles and puzzles that happens to have a town in the middle.

This is actually exactly why the Luncheon kingdom was one of my favorites. I play Mario games for the platforming. I don't care if it "feels like a living place," I just want to jump around on blocks and climb things. The levels with more "natural" feeling spaces were my least favorite, like the Flower plant kingdom, and the Jurassic kingdom. Too much extraneous stuff and big, blank areas getting in the way of my platforming. It's overall why I think I like Mario 64 more than Odyssey; 64 has more pure platforming, which is what I'm there for. (Standard Internet disclaimers: I loved Odyssey, it is is great and everyone should get it; I'm disagreeing with you, not attacking you; it's OK for people to like different things.)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Since we’re all being honest here I’ll say I didn’t like odyssey too much. I like it and it’s a good game, but I doubt I’ll go back to it very much, whereas most mario games have a lot of replay value for me.

I feel like the hat mechanic and other movement stuff obfuscated the core gameplay too much.

Like I see the insane balloons in Luigi’s balloon world videos and it doesn’t even look fun to me.

I’m just weird.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Infinitum posted:

I was going to say that Victor Vran was a cool game, but I'm thinking of Van Helsing on Steam.

Same genre, but more arcadey and with a really goofy sense of humour and a love of going over the top to play on how much everything looks like a cheesy metal album cover. If you like that genre it's probably worth a spin, and if the Switch release is too much I've seen it for less than $5 during Steam sales.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

My main issue with Mario odyssey was that most of the moons were either simple or samey to get, making it overall less memorable than the other 3D Mario games for me. Like sure it rocks that there’s so many of them, but I dunno.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Infinitum posted:

It's one of those Steam games that I seem to have gotten somewhere in a bundle or cheap sale, and then totally forgot to ever play it. Maybe I'll give it a go today.

Watching a trailer, I did notice that Victor has the exact same voice as Geralt from The Witcher, so that's a plus.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I also picked up Victor Vran for super cheap but was very impressed with it. Fun action RPG with guns and even some jumping up on ledges and stuff, which for whatever reason I enjoyed about it, at the time.

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?

man nurse posted:

My main issue with Mario odyssey was that most of the moons were either simple or samey to get, making it overall less memorable than the other 3D Mario games for me. Like sure it rocks that there’s so many of them, but I dunno.

I would have traded more worlds for less moons. Hopefully they fine tune this eventually with the dlcs or a same engine sequel.

Now if only VC would come out so I can buy Mario64 for the 5th time and reminisce my youth once more.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I want to wrap up Skyrim. I've explored pretty much most of the map and I'm pushing level 50, plus I've more or less maxed the trees I was aiming for (a punchy arrow user). Perhaps to the games credit I've hardly done any actual quest-lines (plenty of quests though), I don't think I've finished a single one. What is the general recommendation: Companion's, Dark Brotherhood, Thieves and Mages guild, plus the DLC story quests and the main storyline? I know that's gonna add I don't know how many more hours, but I figure if I streamline those I'd be satisfied with my efforts in the game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Whatever year they patch out the roomba will be the year mario+rabbids becomes GOTY

It’s weird that they went with the decision to have the roomba be a huge rear end in a top hat. You will NOT disrespect Toad in MY presence you little piece of poo poo

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
The Roomba's great. He's like the Midna of Mario, just permanantly tired of your poo poo.

Cappy is like Navi in this example, a loving shrug.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Odyssey mostly just reminded me how much more I enjoy Mario in 2D. It was an easy eBay sell after a couple hundred moons and I haven't really thought about it since.

Didn't make it bad by any stretch.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I want to wrap up Skyrim. I've explored pretty much most of the map and I'm pushing level 50, plus I've more or less maxed the trees I was aiming for (a punchy arrow user). Perhaps to the games credit I've hardly done any actual quest-lines (plenty of quests though), I don't think I've finished a single one. What is the general recommendation: Companion's, Dark Brotherhood, Thieves and Mages guild, plus the DLC story quests and the main storyline? I know that's gonna add I don't know how many more hours, but I figure if I streamline those I'd be satisfied with my efforts in the game.

Companions is pretty meh, but the rest are great. For a punchy arrow dude thieves guild would probably be the most useful for you.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I think with me it's just because I haven't really played any Nintendo 1st party games since the Gamecube days, and so picking one up now feels so refreshing to play. The games are actually finished for a start, there are practically no bugs, no microtransactions or loot crates, controls feel responsive, intuitive, everything has an immaculate level of polish. You rarely see that these days and so playing Mario and Zelda feels, to me, like a step up from most of the PC games I've played over the last half-decade or so, and this is causing my opinion of the games to be a little hyperbolic but that's how they feel to me right now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Huxley posted:

Odyssey mostly just reminded me how much more I enjoy Mario in 2D. It was an easy eBay sell after a couple hundred moons and I haven't really thought about it since.

Didn't make it bad by any stretch.

I’m kinda in the same boat. I’m really looking forward to the next NSMB or 3D World remaster or whatever is next for 2D mario.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

The Bee posted:

Wow, somebody posting about Kirby's Air Ride and not just gushing over City Trial. That's refreshing!

I liked all modes of Kirby's Air Ride. Now give us a Switch sequel Nintendo.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The cool kids ignore the main story. I wouldn't bother with it either unless you really want to play more. Personally I'm a fan of the Dark Brotherhood and the Thieves Guild, but it was the Mage's Guild that gave me my "win condition" I was happy with and I put down the game after that. At the end of the Mage's Guild you become the head of the guild and the Academy. I realized I had basically become Dumbledore and how can you possibly top being Dumbledore?! So I stopped there.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

THE loving MOON posted:

Companions is pretty meh, but the rest are great. For a punchy arrow dude thieves guild would probably be the most useful for you.

Companions is fine just a bit wrote, but it's got neat characters and a cohesive competent storyline. Skyrim Thieves Guild is some of the worst writing Bethesda has ever done. The whole thing is just painfully stupid and railroady.The Dark Brotherhood is solid as always. The main storyline and mages are inoffensive. Mostly.

The DLC quests are all the best bits of the game though. Dragonborn especially kinda rules.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Bee posted:

it's kinda funny that the titular mode was the worst (though still very good and fun)

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Thieves Guild gives you a lot of useful stuff though, like having those fences around is pretty nice if you're like me and become an uncontrollable kleptomaniac who breaks into houses left and right when you play video games. I'd say out of all of them, Thieves Guild wound up being the most handy. The gear is nice too.

Its story does in fact blow huge chunks, however. I did not care about any of its characters. Some of the quests are fun, like the meadery one.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Thieves guild quests themselves kinda suck but boy is it satisfying to kill Mercer and his incredibly annoying and goony voice

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Kirby lets you pick up MK as a helper and go on a spacefaring asskicking adventure. Awesome.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I kinda want to play one of the Shantae games, should I play Half Genies Hero or wait for Pirate's Curse? From what I gather both games are good but I haven't played either.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m kinda in the same boat. I’m really looking forward to the next NSMB or 3D World remaster or whatever is next for 2D mario.

Especially if it has challenges as hard as SMO had. It was still great, but yeah :same:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

THE loving MOON posted:

I kinda want to play one of the Shantae games, should I play Half Genies Hero or wait for Pirate's Curse? From what I gather both games are good but I haven't played either.

Haven’t played either but everywhere I have read says the new one coming out is a better game

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Nah gently caress that Pirate's Curse is the way better game, by miles. Trust me on this.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

THE loving MOON posted:

Half Genie Hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Guess I should just get either of them :psyduck:

Pirate's curse isn't really new, it's just coming out on the Switch on Tuesday

• Locked thread