Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

BMW/Porsche brakes just have a ton of feel and modulation..... VWs are overboosted and grabby.

yeah so is there any way to fix that? would SS lines help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I don't think so, I'd say almost all of the extra feel people get out of SS lines is because they had old-rear end fluid in there; I see them more as a safety thing.

As for your problem... I don't have a cure, I just got used to it :v: It's really, really, really hard to beat the driving feel of a drat E30-E46. Could experiment with different pads, but it comes down to master cylinder / caliper piston ratio.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 14, 2018

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I’m eyeing a 2017 GTI at a local dealer. Anything I should know about these cars before I jump in?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Mill Village posted:

I’m eyeing a 2017 GTI at a local dealer. Anything I should know about these cars before I jump in?

When you test drive it, put it in sports mode. Make sure it has the lighting package.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Get the manual and always have Sport mode.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Alternatively, get the DSG and never do sport mode.

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

It’s planted as gently caress in the snow with proper tires. It’s actually hard to break loose even when trying. I did have some massive understeer on turn in at times and had to left foot trail-brake to get past it. But for regular driving in the snow it’s fuckjng perfect. I even did a launch in the snow and it hooked happily.

Edit: Also I’ve had a 2018 for a month or so now and will report back on the LSD after auto-x this weekend.

You are all supposed to say it is terrible in the snow. I guess I should go give one a test drive

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kick-Puncher posted:

You are all supposed to say it is terrible in the snow. I guess I should go give one a test drive

It's fantastic in the snow. The more snow, the better, honestly. Unplowed roads and parking lots are a hoot.

KidDynamite posted:

Edit: Also I’ve had a 2018 for a month or so now and will report back on the LSD after auto-x this weekend.

How much did you eat on the trade in?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

KillHour posted:

How much did you eat on the trade in?

Didn’t trade the old one in. Got the new one for 41,600 out the door. Which was a great price under MSRP.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

Didn’t trade the old one in. Got the new one for 41,600 out the door. Which was a great price under MSRP.

So you just have 2 RS's now? You hoping they'll appreciate?

Lord Douchebag
Oct 22, 2010

Are you a man of peace
Or man of holy war?
I've been looking at a 2016 Veloster Turbo. It's the R-Spec, barely 22k miles on it, they're asking for around $15k. Anybody know why I shouldn't do this/have anything bad to say about the Veloster line? I've driven it twice now for test drives, and it seems like a fun car, with good size management.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Drive a fiesta and focus st first before you decide, both can be had in that range. I found the Veloster to drive like a normal ecomony car, I wouldn't really classify it as a hot hatch.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I have a 2016 r spec. The rear torsion beam is meh and stock suspension understeer pretty badly. A tune on the 2016 adds quite a bit of power with the exhaust changed. I gained roughly 60 ft lbs and 30 whp.

The price seems ok but not great. You can probably get $1k off easy, new they sold just under $20k

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Voltage posted:

Drive a fiesta and focus st first before you decide, both can be had in that range. I found the Veloster to drive like a normal ecomony car, I wouldn't really classify it as a hot hatch.

I still haven't found a reason to buy a veloster when you could get either ST. The focus is even a bit more practical, has a lot more space on the inside. (And four doors)

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Fiesta st is too small and focus st was a lot more to insure and cost a lot more at the time. Also the focus st is like 500lbs more

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I pick up my new Golf R on Monday morning! I'm excited!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Can anyone recommend a good detailing kit? I want to keep the whip looking nice. Despite never being in it, the dog has managed to get hair all up in it.

Lord Douchebag posted:

I've been looking at a 2016 Veloster Turbo. It's the R-Spec, barely 22k miles on it, they're asking for around $15k. Anybody know why I shouldn't do this/have anything bad to say about the Veloster line? I've driven it twice now for test drives, and it seems like a fun car, with good size management.

It has three doors and that’s kind of silly.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

PT6A posted:

I pick up my new Golf R on Monday morning! I'm excited!

Are you in Canada? They still haven't been released yet in the states, although it looks like that might change in a few weeks. Cars have been held at port in Jax, FL for a while now.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Radiohead71 posted:

Are you in Canada? They still haven't been released yet in the states, although it looks like that might change in a few weeks. Cars have been held at port in Jax, FL for a while now.

Yes I am.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Larrymer posted:

Alternatively, get the DSG and never do sport mode.

This is basically the right answer, although there are times where sport mode is sweet.

The DSG is really good. It's a dual clutch badass that will actually hold a tune. Whereas if you try to tune with the manual, you're gonna be buying a new clutch.

The Sport level of trim on the GTI is probably the best bang for the buck. It has the all of the performance-oriented upgrades including
the lightning pack and the performance pack (which has the excellent slip diff).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
PT6A: what color of Golf R did you order? you Canadians get quite the selection

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

PT6A: what color of Golf R did you order? you Canadians get quite the selection

Indium Grey. I’m boring and also I didn’t want to pay another $3000 for one of the fancy colours.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Taima posted:

This is basically the right answer, although there are times where sport mode is sweet.

The DSG is really good. It's a dual clutch badass that will actually hold a tune. Whereas if you try to tune with the manual, you're gonna be buying a new clutch.

The Sport level of trim on the GTI is probably the best bang for the buck. It has the all of the performance-oriented upgrades including
the lightning pack and the performance pack (which has the excellent slip diff).

GTI Sport owner here. I don’t know what this guy said but shots fun. Slow car fast from what I’ve been told. What’s a differential and why do I want to limit its slip?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
When you slip traction accelerating the open diff spins one tire. Limited slip keeps both tires under power. Helps on fwd a lot accelerating hard out of a turn.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Warbird posted:

What’s a differential and why do I want to limit its slip?

:kimchi:

omfg this is the most adorable thing

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Warbird posted:

GTI Sport owner here. I don’t know what this guy said but shots fun. Slow car fast from what I’ve been told. What’s a differential and why do I want to limit its slip?

Son, you need Jesus. And to watch the entire catalog of Engineering Explained:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujsxq9WBllU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Ferret King posted:

Son, you need Jesus. And to watch the entire catalog of Engineering Explained:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujsxq9WBllU

lol @ this guys hair

here's a a couple videos about VWs VAQ differential

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQqh2Tv5Puc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiUJLN5_le0

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The Ferret King posted:

Son, you need Jesus.

This is our same bro that didn't know how to manually shift an automatic (DSG). Go easy on him. :laugh:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Larrymer posted:

This is our same bro that didn't know how to manually shift an automatic (DSG). Go easy on him. :laugh:

I know, hence the need for a saviour.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Magic engineering shenanigans enable the wheels to rotate at different rates in turns because physics. The limited hoobistank or whatever does more shenanigans to let the wheels turn at different rates but still get twerk or power or speed force.

Am I in the neighborhood here?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
yes, something something torsens lock under throttle and are open off throttle, point and shoot

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

yes, something something torsens lock under throttle and are open off throttle, point and shoot

Torsens don't lock :eng101:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
true

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Warbird posted:

Magic engineering shenanigans enable the wheels to rotate at different rates in turns because physics. The limited hoobistank or whatever does more shenanigans to let the wheels turn at different rates but still get twerk or power or speed force.

Am I in the neighborhood here?

Essentially. Consider each wheel in a turn. The wheel on the outside of the turn travels a longer distance than the wheel on the inside of the turn, but in the same amount of time, so it's actually going faster. If you had an axle directly attached to each wheel, this would cause a major fuckup since it would force the wheels to rotate at the same speed, so there's what's called a differential in between which allows the wheels to rotate at different speeds.

Without getting into the engineering: an open differential -- the cheapest, least complicated sort -- basically allows the wheels to rotate completely independently of each other. In practice, this means that power is always sent to the wheel which is encountering the least resistance. If one wheel loses traction and begins to spin, more power will drive that wheel, and make the problem worse. With a limited slip differential, the difference in speeds between the two wheels is limited, so power will be transferred to the wheel which has more traction if one wheel loses traction.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PT6A posted:

With a limited slip differential, the difference in speeds between the two wheels is limited, so power will be transferred to the wheel which has more traction if one wheel loses traction.

All of the engineering magic goes into making a differential that will do this, without compromising its behavior in a turn, and do so reliably with relatively little maintenance.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

All of the engineering magic goes into making a differential that will do this, without compromising its behavior in a turn, and do so reliably with relatively little maintenance.

A Wizard Did It

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That’s all fine and good. Why don’t all/most cars have this? Is it a matter of horsepower that necessitates whether or not a vehicle needs one?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cost, mostly. They're much more complex than a few spider gears in an open differential.

A large number of modern cars can fake it anyway. Now that ABS can brake each wheel individually, it just takes some extra programming to use the computer and brakes to slow down a wheel on an open differential that is trying to lose traction. The big downside here is that in prolonged and frequent use, brake wear goes up dramatically.

And yes, there's a benefit aspect to it too. My old NB Miata had an open differential, but it had so little power and so much mechanical grip that it was still very difficult to light up one tire in a street situation. My C10, with loads of power and no weight over the stiffly spring rear, will smoke one tire anytime I want it to (and sometimes when I don't).

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 18, 2018

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Warbird posted:

That’s all fine and good. Why don’t all/most cars have this? Is it a matter of horsepower that necessitates whether or not a vehicle needs one?

Part of it is cost, and most people won't push a car hard enough to see the benefits, and most low to medium power cars won't see much benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Never, ever track a white car with an aggressive pad, then skip washing it for 5 months straight.

Learn from my mistakes. I’ve been clay barring rust of the sides of my fiST for 2 hours now. Almost done with one side.