Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I cannot believe you're the same person who posted hosed Up Hell Building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Haha man why not

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It's just a complete 180 from the unironic grimdark to the most wholesome group in for ever.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Jenny Angel posted:

the second Argo is his surly but loyal lieutenant and body double, a doppleganger named Margot (which, contrary to Argo's belief, is not short for Margothrax).

I imagine that when you're a doppleganger you quickly disabuse yourself of the habit of correcting someone who gets your name wrong.

Jopoho
Feb 17, 2012
Had a fun moment in DnD I wanted to share:

Our party recently came into possession of the Codex, a book of immense power. It can store and retrieve the collective knowledge of the world with a simple spoken or written request. However, it's very malevolent creator seems to be able to control and track it to some degree, and it's full capabilities aren't known. It's the kind of thing you'd destroy immediately...if you didn't think there was a chance of somehow losing massive stores of recorded knowledge across the world. Our party is keeping it safe while we decide the safest way to deal with it. And who is in charge of this immensely powerful tome? We have:

Stream (Played by me) - A young tabaxi bard who wants to be recognized as a great explorer/archaeologist. Is allowed to continue hanging out with the team because despite his age, his skills make him a valuable companion.

Kya - A half-elf monk with a love for the written word and a knack for medicine. She had a book of cures and potions that was absorbed by the Codex, and wants a way to get it back.

Ori - An aasimar paladin on a quest of her own, but won't turn away at the opportunity to do good. Isn't allowed to lie, no matter how helpful or useful it might be.

Lys - An elf druid that's on a quest to find out why her swamp is slowly fading away.

Khatayin - A tiefling sorcerer that finds that traveling with a group of adventurers provides adventure and excitement, which certainly beats hanging around the same streets all the time.

Grymshaw - A goblin ranger who was not around for this anecdote, but is a valued member of the team and won't be left out of introductions.

After coming face-to-face with the creator of the Codex, and realizing he wasn't someone they were prepared to face, the party agreed that they would suspend all usage of the codex until they could reach a decision on what they were going to do with it. They've been on the run in an airship, landing only when necessary to resupply, ever since. That way, the codex is rarely near where anyone else could take it and get themselves into trouble. Not everyone cares about the codex equally. Kya wants to find out how to get control of her own writings back. Ori and Lys think it might be helpful for their individual quests. Khatayin and Grymshaw don't have many particular uses for it. Stream, on the other hand, had a grand old time, asking it about stories from the history of his people and their art and everything. With some very lucky rolling, he was able to learn the ancient tabaxi language (so old he's the only person alive who can speak it). It could be a continuing boon to his efforts to be a great explorer.

So it wasn't really a surprise that Stream would be the first to break their agreement and try to use the Codex. During their flight one night, he crept (unsuccessfully) through the lower decks of the airship to where they kept it. He was not stealthy enough to avoid the detection of Ori's puppy, who alerted the whole party with happy barks. The rest of the party wakes up and gives chase - the Codex is not a toy and they don't need the attention. They catch up to Stream, hand inches above the book. A piece of paper with a single question, hastily written, is wedged in his fingers. (At the table, I had a piece of paper in my hand, folded up).

Kya takes a step forward. "Stream, buddy, what are you doing?"

"Oh just...you know..." Stream tries to shred the paper and destroy the evidence, but Kya is quick to react. In the ensuing scuffle, Stream stumbles, paper flying from his hand, landing at Ori's feet. (I tossed her player the note). She grabs it and reads it. Her eyes go wide. Stream is perfectly still, expression caught between terrified and pleading.

"What does it say?"

Ori shakes her head. She can't lie, but she doesn't have to talk. Everyone is now actively curious about the note, but she holds firm. She won't say what it is, and folds it up. Kya isn't having it, and she has the speed and dexterity to seize the note for herself (we gave her player the note). She unfolds it and reads it. The rest of the party chimes in again, asking what it says.

Her expression remains stoic, but she shakes her head. No amount of insistence is able to sway her, and no one is good enough to take it back. She hands the note back to Stream, who shreds it and breathes for the first time in minutes.

Ori tells everyone that they should get back to bed. Kya pulls Stream aside and offers to talk about the contents of the note if he wants, but he just wants to get back to bed and think for a good long while.

Canonically, those three are the only ones who know what the paper said, but at the end of the session I let everyone see the real-life note and it's single question. A seven word secret, meant to be considered by an artifact of immense and dark knowledge. A secret half of our party wouldn't give up.

Stream's question: "How do I talk to other guys?"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I did not see that coming!

The Codex now sends them on a great quest to recover a lost ancient spell - “Melf’s Esteem Beam.”

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That is incredible - love the use of a real world prop too!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The following is just venting but also could serve as a "don't do this" guide to DMs I suppose.

I pretty much always DM for my friends and want to play in a game but basically the one time my friend DMed a campaign he just would not let us deviate for even a moment because "then all the stuff i wrote is wasted" even after i told him a thousand times to just make small notes then improvise, especially on the first session.

E.g. In my first cthulhu campaign the players did the opposite of what I intended and ended up joining the bad guys and basically ended up running the illuminati and nearly ending the world. In my most recent campaign I made up an island setting and the players ended up going to a totally different city and are willfully defying the main plot and doing whatever they like instead, one of them is now running a fantasy pizza franchise instead and the other has discovered his patron god is evil but has decided to be his avatar instead.
Hell, in my vampire campaign my party ended up as a vampire drug cartel being chased by werewolf Liam Neeson because one of the players stole his dog by ghouling it with enema butt-blood, basically the fun of being a DM and player of a roleplaying game is that it can go anywhere.

But not my friend, in his game we figured out that the mayor was the bad guy on session 1 and tried to kill him but he just wouldnt let us, every subsequent session the mayor would make some obviously evil speech he had written weeks ago and we would be like "okay, so we attack him and liberate the village" and he would just be like "no, you dont, theres still like 5 quests left here". We all talked to him about it but he still just does it anyway
I played a wizard with no damage spells, all illusions but he just wouldn't let me use them properly because somehow it would be OP even though all I was really trying to do was give advantage/disadvantage or distract/scare enemies. I ended up having to get a damage spell even though it was against my character because he would just go "no the illusions dont work anymore,"
He also never lets fights end early, even after a 2 hour fight (man, D&D immediately slows to a crawl as soon as a large combat starts), its midnight and we all want to stop and we've killed 10 out of 12 human enemies without any of us going down and every turn we're trying to get them to surrender or flee.
He also won't let you solve issues if he hadn't thought of it, at one point we ended up in jail and one of our characters can straight up mind control people but nope cant get a guard to open a door, thief isnt allowed to pick the lock etc, instead theres some kind of food puzzle to attract the jailer or something.

we tried to get one of our recovering alcoholic friends to play and the DM would just read this 25 minute script (when we only have 2 hours to play) of what happened last time in incredible depth so by the time he'd finished the dude had already fallen off the wagon

he'd also be like "okay its 30 minutes til we play, i need you to draw 6 NPCs each, dont worry, doesnt have to be detailed" when nobody aint draw me poo poo when I DM, nobody even learns the rules or makes their own characters

bah, i'm still a little salty about it maybe, i'd like to get to make my own character and play in a game but I don't really have much interest in just running through someone elses pre-written stuff exactly as planned

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
:sever:

No gaming is better than bad gaming.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Holy gently caress, it's like he found a list of every poo poo thing lovely DMs do to drive off their players and decided to do all of them. And to top it off it doesn't even sound like what he plans out is even that interesting or would even be enjoyable even if he weren't committing literally every DMing sin!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

nopantsjack posted:

He also won't let you solve issues if he hadn't thought of it, at one point we ended up in jail and one of our characters can straight up mind control people but nope cant get a guard to open a door, thief isnt allowed to pick the lock etc, instead theres some kind of food puzzle to attract the jailer or something.

I smash my head on the wall of the cell for 4hp over and over. I fail my death test. I get in my car and go home.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

JBP posted:

I smash my head on the wall of the cell for 4hp over and over. I fail my death test. I get in my car and go home.
Same, except I skip steps 1 and 2.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TRPGs are a consensus reality. The GM has no power that you do not grant him. Agree with the other players to seize the world from his grasp, and just keep playing the game, riffing on each other and ignoring the GM entirely

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Tunicate posted:

Agree with the other players to seize the world from his grasp, and just keep playing the game, riffing on each other and ignoring the GM entirely

Turn it into Fiasco and leave none of his pet NPCs in peace.

Edit: holy moly, I didn’t even see that you guys didn’t get to make your own characters :sever:

BadSamaritan fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 23, 2018

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

nopantsjack posted:

nobody even learns the rules or makes their own characters

To each their own I guess but these two facts horrify me on a spiritual level.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Out-of-context theater from my DM's Skype/Roll20 game that he runs for friends across the country...

quote:

Cleric: “My persuasion is actually better than my religion.”

Druid: “That’s how crusades happen.”

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Exclusive sneak preview of Funhavers Episode 8

https://twitter.com/HannahYoleau/status/977210546431971328

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Sounds like that degree was money well spent :colbert:

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Just getting back from session 7 of Cybertitans, it was full of some really good stuff with all kinds of high-octane action, in which the team hit an enemy with a jumbo jet. I'm riding that post-awesome-game high right now, and I just gotta say I love my group. :)

Still have to write up session 5. Going to try to get to that tomorrow.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Falstaff posted:

Just getting back from session 7 of Cybertitans, it was full of some really good stuff with all kinds of high-octane action, in which the team hit an enemy with a jumbo jet. I'm riding that post-awesome-game high right now, and I just gotta say I love my group. :)

Still have to write up session 5. Going to try to get to that tomorrow.

Can't wait.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Samizdata posted:

Can't wait.

I shared some of the comments that were made here with my players, they were pretty tickled that other people have been enjoying reading about their exploits. Though it took a while for Doctor Delphi's player to understand where the suggestion to get a cat was coming from lol

Noir Orleans Session 5

The cast:

-Doctor Delphi, the leader, with the powers of local precognition and short-range telepathy (though he dislikes using the latter power.)

-Click, a hacker extraordinaire whose skills are enhanced by cyberkinesis. He can speak to machines, and they generally do what he asks them – though for some reason, his powers don’t work when he’s outside of structures. He can also induce what he calls his “ice cream headache attack” – basically a very minor psychic blast.

-Snarl, the muscle. Born and trained on Mars, she’s blessed with super-strength and invincibility. She has has some pretty serious anger issues.

-Baskerville, the ghost. A G2 (second-tier engineered life form – in his case, a human-dog hybrid) with ability to phase himself and other objects/people through non-moving objects.

-Gateway, the rookie. Also from Mars, she has the power to create two-way teleportation portals. She’s also a skilled investigator.

Previous sessions:

Session one
Session Two: part one, and part two
Session three
Session Fourpart one and part two

When last we left, Baskerville escaped with a force field generator, leaving Click and Doctor Delphi at the mercies of two members of the teen hero team the Sentries. He then went ahead and negotiated a deal with the kid villain pair Shadowdancer and Shooting Star, despite the fact that was something Doctor Delphi, as team leader, made very clear he did not want to do.

Of course, Click and Doctor Delphi didn’t know the latter bit while they walked their sorry asses back to the Motley Cruise, going the long way there and attempting to dodge the authorities – who were now scrambling in an attempt to recover the stolen force field generator. Luckily, they managed to get there safe and sound with only a few close calls, mostly thanks to Doctor Delphi’s local precognitive abilities.

Once back, Doctor Delphi calls a team meeting. He makes it clear that he’s worried about insubordination within the team, and that he won’t be leader for long if this becomes a habit.

He’s not the only one who’s upset at what went down, though...

quote:

Click: “Baskerville. What the actual gently caress? I get we're bad guys, and loyalty isn't our usual bag, but you don't gently caress each other in the middle of a mission. How can I trust you if you abandon us like that?”
Baskerville: “I didn't mean to abandon the team. I wanted to complete the mission.”
DD: “Alright, my bad. For the record, escaping with the entire team is part of our mission objectives. Though I'll be honest, that sounds like a bullshit excuse, and I suspect you just wanted to make a deal while I wasn't around to stop it.”
Snarl: “I support his decision. I wasn't going to punch little girls.”
DD: “...”

quote:

DD: “Baskerville, I see you as something of my right-hand-man.”
Baskerville: “Really? I thought that would be Snarl.”
DD: “Well, no, she punched me in the face. And I think there's a good chance she'll attack me before this meeting is over.”

Things get a bit heated at points, as Doctor Delphi tries to play up the part of the wounded, put-upon leader. Yet, he receives criticism from an unlikely corner, when Click points out to him:

quote:

Click: “You didn't really hear what your team had to say during the mission prep. You just made your decision, and went forward. You may want this to operate like a military, but it’s not – you need to actually convince us that your decisions are worth following, otherwise we need to keep discussing things.”
Gateway: “Sometimes there won't be time for discussion.”
DD: “That's true. Someday our base may be attacked by ten year old girls – our one weakness, apparently. What then?”
Click: “Wait... Are you using your precognition right now? Like, is this something that's going to happen?”

In the end, Doctor Delphi promises to listen to objections in the future, and Baskerville promises to take orders more seriously.

The meeting is brought to an abrupt end when Doctor Delphi gets a message about his DJ friend Boudicca – she’s in the ICU at the Noir Orleans hospital, and apparently he’s her primary contact. Taking off his costume, Doctor Delphi enters the hospital in his civilian persona of Walter Hodge, former regional sub-manager for the Tastee Ghoul corporation (cannibal foods for the masses). He and Gateway go to the hospital to visit her in an attempt to figure out what happened.

Boudicca is in an induced coma while they wait for her brain to stop swelling. She’s receiving the best of care – apparently she comes from a rather wealthy family, though she’s never mentioned this to Walter before – and Doctor Delphi is powerless to do anything to help her recover. Gateway asks a nurse why Boudicca (or Bailey according to her chart) is in such a sorry shape, and the nurse replies vaguely that there was some kind of terrorist attack on an underground show last night, but details are sketchy – most of the people who were there either fled into the night during the attack, or ended up like Boudicca... or worse.

Gateway remarks that it’s a shame there aren’t any eyewitnesses to question, but Doctor Delphi realizes there might be... He hates violating the privacy of even his enemies with his telepathy, much less an innocent victim, but sometimes other priorities need to take precedence, so he searches Boudicca’s mind for memories of last night’s show. He sees a hazy, fever-dream image of a massive, one-armed monster tearing through concert goers like a wolf through a chicken coop.

The team gathers together and heads to the scene of the attack, hoping they can learn more. Sure enough, the concert area – once a small shopping centre at the edge of the Bywater District, now long abandoned and lacking most of its roof – showed signs of attack by something very big, impossibly strong, and with some very nasty claws.

quote:

DD: “Gateway, take Snarl and try to figure out where it came from. The rest of us will try to find where it went.”
Gateway: “uh... Is that a good idea?”
DD: “What do you mean?”
Gateway: “Well, if you're all going in the direction of the horrible monster, and Snarl’s with me...”
DD: “Oh. Good point. We stick together, team.”

They follow the trail the monster left in the wake of the attack, which leads to the sewers. Eventually they come upon what is, for lack of a better term, a nest not very far from the site of the concert; a makeshift home in a relatively dry part of the sewer, consisting of plywood, cinder blocks, and half-rotted, scavenged furniture arranged to accommodate something much, much larger than the furniture was built for.

They also find a desiccated (almost mummified) normal-sized corpse wearing a hawaiian shirt and holding a short sword, amid signs of week-old violence not far from this nest. Gateway immediately begins searching the corpse for clues.

quote:

DD: “Gateway... Were you checking to see if he was a vampire?”
Gateway: “Of course not, don't be silly. I was checking to see if he was attacked by a vampire. That's completely different!”

The corpse shows signs of battle wounds, but strangely there is no obvious cause of death. Unsure of what to make of it, and unable to follow the trail any further, they decide to collect the corpse in the hopes that they can convince Dr. Zoe to perform an autopsy and perhaps reveal another clue. They return to the Motley Cruise to plan their next move...

But the decision of what to do next soon becomes obvious when they’re contacted by the Cache Cowboys via holochat.

quote:

Scrawl: “You mentioned that you wanted to work closer with us. We’ve talked it over, and we think that might just work.
Doctor Delphi: “Excellent news! If you don’t mind me asking, what brought you to that decision?”
Scrawl: “I try to keep this quiet, but there’s a reason why Shadowdancer and Shooting Star maintain territory so close to us without us coming to blows. We’re allied with them.”
DD: “Really?”
Scrawl: “I’m not much for charity myself, but they’re good kids. I’d rather have them there doing the work, than not. When I heard about how you handled them last night, I knew you were people we could work with.”
DD: “Ah. Well, that’s... great...”
Baskerville: :smugdog:

The Cache Cowboys only have one issue – they’re currently engaged in a turf war with the Nuclear Hellhounds, and they’re losing. If they lose the contested territory, then the Nuclear Hellhounds have a clear route to Shadowdancer and Shooting Star’s territory, and since they have a much smaller gang itt would put the Hellhounds in a position to wipe the kids’ operation completely off the map.

The team briefly discuss matters, and plan a strike against the Hellhounds for the next night, with the idea that it might take some pressure off the Cowboys. Before they end the chat, Scrawl gives them a target: One of the facilities where the Nuclear Hellhounds get all their bleeding-edge cybernetics installed in their most proven lieutenants. Some brief scouting by Baskerville and Gateway reveals a weak point in the security of the facility in question – these gang members may have military-grade tech, but they’re still just street thugs, they don’t have the discipline required to properly maintain a perimeter. Slipping through the cracks in their security should be easy.

Unfortunately, the Crimson Key doesn’t get a chance to start the mission before the next crisis occurs, only hours later. Baskerville and Doctor Delphi are going over last minute preparations for the mission in the Motley Cruise when Click’s perimeter alarms go off. Bringing it up on screen, they see the Sentries attacking their riverboat base!

Former-villain-turned-hero Psyte is there, as is teen heartthrob and sometimes pop-star Paragon, but the rest of the Sentries are there as well this time, including...

Backlash, the leader. With a reputation for keeping her ultimate plans and intentions secret even from her teammates, she has the power to lay down fields that reflect and intensify energy - not so useful on its own, but devastating when combined with Paragon or Rainbow's powers.

Eldritch, the newest member of the team, though also considered the most powerful. He’s only ever given one (very confusing) interview since joining the Sentries, and he’s known for rambling about doomsday a lot during combat. His powers are all centred around warping reality – his body shifts itself to become more “ideal” to whatever task he’s performing (growing longer limbs when running, hardened shells or spikes when being attacked, etc.) and he seems to be able to select which rules of physics apply to him at any given time.

quote:

Snarl: “Wait, THAT’s who Paragon’s dating?”
Doctor Delphi: “Suddenly I understand why his thoughts had scare quotes around the word ‘boyfriend.’”

Rainbow, a tinker who specializes in creating technology that manipulates light waves, including the creation of illusions, lasers, and hardlight constructs. She has a reputation for cruelty, and her evil laugh has made many think that she’d be happier as a villain than a hero.

Gateway is the first to act, opening up portals in surprising places in an effort to keep the Sentries off-balance, while Click uses the ship’s security systems to keep them harassed and confused (as best as those bare-bones systems will allow). Gateway gets a brief success against Eldritch by using her portals to deposit him into the river, but instead of falling in Eldritch runs across the Mississippi as though the water was solid, then up the side of the boat to rejoin the combat. He really seems more embarassed at being tricked than anything.

quote:

Eldritch: “MORTAL! DO YOU THINK YOUR PETTY TRICKS CAN DEFEAT ME? WHEN MY BRETHREN AWAKEN, MANKIND’S SUFFERING WILL BE LEGENDARY IF THAT’S THE BEST YOU CAN DO!”
Gateway: “...are you feeling okay?”

Although Click tries to secure the ship to buy them some time to prepare, Rainbow’s laser blasts, Paragon’s super-strength, and Eldritch’s ability to seemingly turn nearby solid objects into [smoke/butterflies/tapioca pudding] makes those defensive measures largely useless. The Crimson Key is forced to engage in fisticuffs, with Snarl taking point.

Snarl does well, for the most part – she’s able to go toe-to-toe with Paragon and Eldritch at once, but only for a time before a mass of Rainbow’s 3-foot-tall hardlight “robots” overwhelm her. (Snarl: “I’ll get you yet, Rainbow Brite!”) She does manage to clock Paragon with the riverboat’s iron anchor – a blow hard enough that it takes him out of the fight for almost half a minute while he catches his breath, and when the blow lands Gateway notices that Paragon seems to flicker kind of like an old-style CRT television that’s getting a poor signal... Very strange, but she doesn’t really have much time to ponder what it might mean. Baskerville is able to put Rainbow on the defensive by engaging in hit-and-run tactics with his pistols and phasing, but this just draws Eldritch’s attention, whose presence seems to interfere with Baskerville’s ability to go fully intangible.

Things are going bad, fast. Doctor Delphi, desperate, begins scanning minds for any kind of tactical or emotional leverage he can use. He learns that Rainbow and Psyte don’t like each other – Rainbow’s career on the Sentries has been eclipsed ever since Psyte joins, and she blames the former villainess for that. Paragon is still every bit as much of a boy scout as ever. But then, when he gets to Eldritch, things go wrong... Eldritch’s mind isn’t normal, and the very act of scanning it sends Doctor Delphi into a seizure.

quote:

Eldritch: “MY MIND IS NOT FOR YOU TO KNOW, MORTAL! I WILL DEVOUR YOU FOR AEONS FOR THAT INSULT!”
Paragon: “Calm down, babe... You sent him into convulsions, that’s not cool.”
Eldritch: “...FORGIVE ME, BELOVED. YOU KNOW HOW I CAN GET SO ANGRY AT FOOLISH MORTALS, SOMETIMES!”
Snarl: “Not sure whether to think that’s sweet or terrifying.”
Gateway: “Why not both?”

With their leader down for the count, everyone looks to Baskerville for what to do next, and he issues a grave order: He tells Gateway to start portaling everything of value (especially anything that could reveal their links to Mars) to somewhere safe, and then for everyone to abandon ship.

The Crimson Key begin a fighting retreat, which isn’t easy – Backlash had been laying down her fields all over the ship while the fight was going on, never actually engaging herself. A second after Baskerville gives his orders, she tells Rainbow to fire a laser at one in particular, which bounces around the battlefield, gaining intensity with every reflection, until it hits Snarl and takes her down at once. With the Crimson Key’s heavy and leader both down, the Sentries press the attack and it’s all the villains can do to escape with their most incriminating equipment (and their hides).

Once off the ship, the Sentries seem content not to give chase. Instead, Eldritch and Paragon work together to split the riverboat right down the middle...

And the Motley Cruise sinks.

Next Time: How we have heard of the might of the kings! The Crimson Key dip their toes into the mystical side of Noir Orleans...

Falstaff fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 25, 2018

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Falstaff posted:

The meeting is brought to an abrupt end when Doctor Delphi gets a message about his DJ friend Boudicca – she’s in the ICU at the Noir Orleans hospital, and apparently he’s her primary contact. Taking off his costume, Doctor Delphi enters the hospital in his civilian persona of Walter Hodge, former regional sub-manager for the Tastee Ghoul corporation (cannibal foods for the masses). He and Gateway go to the hospital to visit her in an attempt to figure out what happened.

Yay! Wendymeat! (See Rudy Rucker's *ware novels.)

Falstaff posted:

And the Motley Cruise sinks.

Man. Villainous AND homeless sucks.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

:unsmigghh: Brutal. I said "oh no" aloud at least three times, but I thought it many more. Looks like underestimating the JV squad was very nearly a lethal mistake.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
So my regular group is playing a brief Shadowrun minicampaign, and I decided to stretch my narrative legs a bit and play a character type I rarely played. The group's Decker (hacker-type) had gotten some data on the target of our upcoming run that someone clearly didn't want us to have, and what was almost certainly a corporate security team in gangbanger disguises was dispatched to his home. He and another character who was there were alerted to this, and observed their arrival from a roof across the street, and then he called up my character.

My character is named Chuck. "Chuck" is his clever Shadowrunner handle, because he can't use his real name on the street. His real name is Charles.

Chuck is a homeless Troll. He is... um... he is not subtle. See, I usually play the intellectual types, the social types, the guys who'd rather use diplomacy than start a fight (one of the players was talking at one point about how my Tiefling Monk in our 5e campaign has become the party's moral compass, and another player went "DCB is always the party's moral compass!" Which is true). So I decided that for this game I was gonna play a zero forethought, maximum aggression, blow-poo poo-up-first-and-worry-about-the-consequences-never type. And then, because I thought it was a neat idea, I made him sleep in dumpsters and own nothing that he cannot carry with him at all times. Intelligence and Charisma were his dump stats. His most prized possession is a Smartlinked shotgun he calls "Judy." It has a grenade launcher attached.

So Chuck strolls up and when he's about a block away he can see that there are two SUVs- a white one parked across the street from his teammate's house, and a black one down a side alley blocking the side door. The black SUV disgorged four people, who had previously entered the dude's building and now have exited and are walking in two groups down the street in opposite directions, pretty clearly keeping an eye out for their target. Chuck calls up his Decker buddy and says "Okay, I here. How loud you want dis to get?" And he is told, "Roust 'em a little." The Decker's expectation was that he'd go up and start a scene, maybe pick a fight, but nothing too serious. The GM expected much the same.

So everyone was kinda stunned when I said "Okay, I pull out Judy and fire a grenade from the underbarrel grenade launcher, aiming to roll it right under that black SUV."

At this point the black SUV's door opens, and the tech nerd that was inside - the team was basically planning to waste their target, then bring this dude inside to scrub the computers - desperately scrambles out, pulling the wires that had him hooked in to whatever rig he was in out in his panic. He does not escape the blast radius. There are three basic types of grenades in Shadowrun: Offensive Grenades, which go boom, Defensive Grenades, which have a smaller blast radius, and Concussion Grenades, which do stun damage. Naturally, Chuck went with 'Offensive.'

So... SUV go boom. Techie is chunky salsa. Nearby dumpster flies into the air, falls down on top of the SUV. The white SUV is crewed by people who apparently failed their morale check or something, because they went "um gently caress this" and drove away with all available speed; we gunned down most of the other dudes, but left when DocWagon started showing up (in a remarkably short amount of time, meaning these dudes are well-heeled).

Later, Chuck was told, "That was a little more violent than I'm really comfortable with, man." To which he responded, "Hey. I asked how loud. Only one guy got killed, dat's pretty quiet. If he'd a' stayed inna truck he mighta not got blowed up, I can't be responsible for his poor decisions."

........it is actually really refreshing to never have to stop and think "what would my character do?" and instead just do the first thing that comes to mind.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

So my regular group is playing a brief Shadowrun minicampaign, and I decided to stretch my narrative legs a bit and play a character type I rarely played. The group's Decker (hacker-type) had gotten some data on the target of our upcoming run that someone clearly didn't want us to have, and what was almost certainly a corporate security team in gangbanger disguises was dispatched to his home. He and another character who was there were alerted to this, and observed their arrival from a roof across the street, and then he called up my character.

My character is named Chuck. "Chuck" is his clever Shadowrunner handle, because he can't use his real name on the street. His real name is Charles.

Chuck is a homeless Troll. He is... um... he is not subtle. See, I usually play the intellectual types, the social types, the guys who'd rather use diplomacy than start a fight (one of the players was talking at one point about how my Tiefling Monk in our 5e campaign has become the party's moral compass, and another player went "DCB is always the party's moral compass!" Which is true). So I decided that for this game I was gonna play a zero forethought, maximum aggression, blow-poo poo-up-first-and-worry-about-the-consequences-never type. And then, because I thought it was a neat idea, I made him sleep in dumpsters and own nothing that he cannot carry with him at all times. Intelligence and Charisma were his dump stats. His most prized possession is a Smartlinked shotgun he calls "Judy." It has a grenade launcher attached.

So Chuck strolls up and when he's about a block away he can see that there are two SUVs- a white one parked across the street from his teammate's house, and a black one down a side alley blocking the side door. The black SUV disgorged four people, who had previously entered the dude's building and now have exited and are walking in two groups down the street in opposite directions, pretty clearly keeping an eye out for their target. Chuck calls up his Decker buddy and says "Okay, I here. How loud you want dis to get?" And he is told, "Roust 'em a little." The Decker's expectation was that he'd go up and start a scene, maybe pick a fight, but nothing too serious. The GM expected much the same.

So everyone was kinda stunned when I said "Okay, I pull out Judy and fire a grenade from the underbarrel grenade launcher, aiming to roll it right under that black SUV."

At this point the black SUV's door opens, and the tech nerd that was inside - the team was basically planning to waste their target, then bring this dude inside to scrub the computers - desperately scrambles out, pulling the wires that had him hooked in to whatever rig he was in out in his panic. He does not escape the blast radius. There are three basic types of grenades in Shadowrun: Offensive Grenades, which go boom, Defensive Grenades, which have a smaller blast radius, and Concussion Grenades, which do stun damage. Naturally, Chuck went with 'Offensive.'

So... SUV go boom. Techie is chunky salsa. Nearby dumpster flies into the air, falls down on top of the SUV. The white SUV is crewed by people who apparently failed their morale check or something, because they went "um gently caress this" and drove away with all available speed; we gunned down most of the other dudes, but left when DocWagon started showing up (in a remarkably short amount of time, meaning these dudes are well-heeled).

Later, Chuck was told, "That was a little more violent than I'm really comfortable with, man." To which he responded, "Hey. I asked how loud. Only one guy got killed, dat's pretty quiet. If he'd a' stayed inna truck he mighta not got blowed up, I can't be responsible for his poor decisions."

........it is actually really refreshing to never have to stop and think "what would my character do?" and instead just do the first thing that comes to mind.

When I used to run Paranoia games, we used what I called the Dramatic Tactical Combat Resolution System. Put simply, they who speak first shoot first.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

This thread has the best stories. :allears:
Someone really should gather the best and worst and put them to print. The Catpiss Chronicles - Tales of True Tabletop...something. I dunno, I'm not feeling witty tonight.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

"If he'd a' stayed inna truck he mighta not got blowed up, I can't be responsible for his poor decisions."
The best part about this is that I have to assume that "I can't be responsible for his poor decisions" is a phrase he picked up from someone else talking about him.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

PMush Perfect posted:

The best part about this is that I have to assume that "I can't be responsible for his poor decisions" is a phrase he picked up from someone else talking about him.

In Shadowrun you can spend cash at character generation to buy Contacts, but for a little more cash you can buy a Buddy - someone who'll actually go out of their way to help you, as opposed to just someone you know. Chuck's Buddy is a Neo-Catholic nun who runs a homeless shelter, named Sister Peter Marie (I named her after the character from HBO's Oz). I basically assume that any time he says something that sounds smart, he learned it from her.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Great story. I was hoping it would be a "roust"/"roast" mixup :).

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
So last time we saw the gang at Omen Academy they had just defeated the Compass Knights(read: Power Rangers) to claim the title of Audition Hall All-Stars. Most notably Halfling Rogue Barner used a stolen Gnomish Battlecart to deliver the final blows, prompting the crowd to chant “Go-Kart”at the incoming champions.

That was two weeks ago.

The party members present for this adventure:

Barner, Halfling Rogue: The aforementioned “Go-Kart” of the Audition Hall finals. After the auditions Barner became fascinated with the clockwork technologies of the Cogsworth brothers and joined the Blue School because “I need to do learn how to make these myself.”

Asteron, Minotaur Barbarian: Fun-loving stoner and heir to his Barbarian tribe. Joined the Green school because their emphasis on tradition and history allows for Barbarians to party and be hooligans as long as they fulfill the heroic part of a heroic destiny.

Caerynn, Dragonborn Ranger: Pronounced “Say-rin”. Caerynn joined the party while in the dungeon. Joined the Green School initially because they remembered his disgraced house and put him in a noble’s quarters. Stayed with the green after he found they have a handful of books regarding the Flower of Flaming Truth, a philosophy/religion of warrior priests that the Priestess threw out of Santa Cora.

Alberic, Halfling Paladin: The first “Paladin” of the Prince of Shadows. Had his Paladin abilities put into his soul as a shady deal he doesn’t quite understand the implications of. Made the deal because he needed to escape a death maze elven nobles put people in for fun.

Mittens, Half-Orc Sorcerer: A drop-in, drop out character/player. To be honest Mittens has been rare because his player tags along with Barner and they mostly want to hang out and help kill monsters. Nice kid though. Has a skeleton cat and is still deciding on a house.

There was a session before this one but it didn’t really warrant a post. Caerynn and Alberic explored the school, decided that the Hogwartsy-feel of the Green school and its culturally specific chambers for Champion students and above attract the two. Caerynn finds a large private room with a library, bar, wardrobe and studying area. Alberic finds a large room with an army cot and various common goods still packed in crates. Alberic is fine with this and spends his days exploring the other schools(save for the Red because it’s like walking around inside a kaleidoscope and non-Reds hate it.)

Caerynn spends his time touring the grounds with Who Tends the Garden? the flower person from the Audition Hall. She explains that her people all have questions for names, knowing the people being the same as knowing who to ask what question in their worldview. As a consequence people tend to leave the flower folk alone. Who Tends the Garden? is the party’s handler, and will be the one who confirms jobs, arranges travel, and puts together a small package of a potion and one other item(temporary enchantments, skill boosts, etc) for each party member every mission.

When we catch up today Barner and Alberic are casing the dorms as well a the large market square in the middle of the grounds. They find a few prospective marks but ultimately decide it’s not worth starting trouble in their first month. After a few days they’re learning that while the food varies in the dorms most students eat at the various dining halls within the Black school. The Black school specializes in teaching necromancers, infiltrators, and assassins. The last two are trained to enter high society as servants and entertainers. While training the Black school teaches their students by having them run a really nice set of restaurants, cafes and lounges within their wing of the school. As a consequence everyone eats in the Black halls.

The party is having brunch when a pair of thick portfolios arrive. They outline the first two jobs offered to the party. First, the Green and Black school have located the tomb of a Bard from a forgotten age. They want a party to explore the ruins and report back with any findings that would be significant to either school’s research. Or a group of spies in the Archmage’s Horizon Academy have reported that they have found out about an abandoned golem lab. Apparently it was left in a matter of hour and covered in an impenetrable fog layer until a few days ago. Since Imperial Artificing requires a lot of gold, platinum, and precious stones the party is told they can keep anything worth selling as long as they bring back items of interest to the Red or Blue.

They take the first job, agreeing to bring back any large energy sources, advanced golemancy, or other supertech. They decide to hire Old Clim to sail them to the Demon Coast. Clim informs them that he’s willing to do it for free(he’s at the school on work study) but he won’t be able to leave his boat unattended. Deciding they still need extra muscle Asteron pays the Cogsworth Brothers for the use of Sir Tick Tock a clockwork knight the brothers brought to the Audition Hall. Otto Cogsworth takes the control circlet from his head and attaches it to Asteron’s bicep, oddly enough this works and Sir Tick Tock follows the Minotaur to the docks.

As dawn breaks the next day Asteron is smoking a joint on the docks while Clim shows off his newly renovated boat(color shifting enchantment to make it hard to spot from far away, new harpoon firing ballista).The Cogsworths give Barner the responsibility of keeping salt water from damaging the battle cart or Tick Tock. If he can do that they promise to start his gearsmithing apprenticeship. Well, Otto promises, Manuel can’t or refuses to speak anything but Gnomish. Alberic, Mittens and Caerynn load a few personal effects and they raise anchor. As always Clim takes the wheel and asks the party “Fast or Quiet?”

Barner is adamant about going quietly, saying that whatever beats them to the dungeon won’t be as bad as speeding over open water with an engine running. Asteron and Alberic are adamant about getting to the lab first in order to secure the most loot. Eventually they convince Barner to turn the engine on, nobody else cares one way or another. The engine is one of the upgrades Clim is proud to show off. Turns out the Blue School has these big crystals that steadily release a large amount of heat. By running seawater over the crystal the ship is able to run on a steam engine. At the team’s request Clim lowers the heat stone into a tank and fills it with water, starting the engine.

After a few days underway the party passes a series of small barren islands, signaling that they’re nearing the Demon Coast. As the crew is lounging on the deck around noon Clim begins ringing an alarm bell and yelling a word over and over again.

“Dragon!”

The crew looks around and sees the telltale wings and whipping tail of a dragon. Before they can see anything specific it rockets upward and flies into the sun. By the time everyone’s eyes recover the boat rocks slightly a a Large White Dragon lands on the front of the ship and snaps at Barner and Caerynn, leaving bloody marks where its long teeth pierce through their armor. It then rears back and lets loose a blast of icy breath, Staggering Caerynn before any of the party can act.

Asteron and Barner charge in with their blades drawn. They hit hard but find that the dragon has coated itself in a layer of ice, increasing its Armor Class. Clim hooks the dragon with a fishing line and drags its head into Asteron’s axe and Mittens lights it up with fire magic. Caerynn’s arrows glance off helplessly as it towers over him.

Escalation Die 1

The Dragon swipes at Alberic and Asteron. Asteron ducks out of the way but Alberic catches a claw to the stomach. Barner embeds his dagger into the ice shield while Asteron and Clim team up to get another solid axe hit to the thing’s head. Alberic swings with a nat 1 and makes the ice shield sharper and more dangerous. Mittens can’t get another layer of fire to stick and Caeryn embeds more arrowheads into the ice shield without penetrating the scales. The party asks where Tick Tock is and Asteron explains that he doesn’t want to pay for salt water damage.

Escalation Die 2

The dragon gets a claw into Barner, Mitten ducks out of the way of its jaws by inches. Barner finally gets a dagger into the dragon while Asteron cracks it in the jaw. Alberic gets fed up and charges his weapon with holy energy, smiting the dragon and cracking the Ice Shield. Mittens and Caerynn start laying the artillery on the dragon’s face. A giant sturgeon leaps from a charm on Clim’s hat and bites at the dragon’s tail but can’t make purchase.

Escalation Die 3

The dragon lets loose one last frost breath before Asteron knocks its head up, exposing its neck. Caerynn puts an arrow through its jugular and drops it.
The party takes a skill challenge to butcher the dragon, actually getting a handful of alchemic components and smithing materials. They move on to the coast and sneak a dinghy on shore and hide it in the nearby hardwood trees. Alberic spots a campfire and walks up to it. As it turns out it’s the spies from Horizon, Chad(iweth) the High Elf and Brad(ley) the Human. Chad immediately pisses Alberic off by speaking to the air slightly above his head. Luckily Brad explains that Chad is just a dick because they’re library mages that have been dragged into field work. They hate all this camping and keeping watch but the money’s worth leaving Horizon over and joining Omen Academy. The two lead the party to the gates of the lab and leave them to their own devices.

As the party approaches the lab they realize that somehow the place is immaculate. After 30 feet or so the walkway are broken and overgrown, barely visible in places. When they get to the building everything looks like it was built yesterday. The party enters the unlocked door to a large showroom reminiscent of Jurassic Park’s lobby crossed with Tomorrowland. Cheesy ads for “Artificials” or mechanical limbs, are everywhere. Oddly enough the product and prototypes have also broken down over 10 years of neglect. The only parts of the building that are clean and new are the building and its internal golems/gadgets.

Barner is investigating this and finds a reception desk and closet full of brochures and maps. He also sees a curious set of tracks on the landings of the stairs. Before he can relay this information Alberic attempts to run up the stairs. When he reaches the first landing several stairs rush across the landing and throw Alberic back to the ground floor, dealing a bit of damage on the way. A hologram of an elven mage politely tells them not to access the restricted areas without authorization. In the process of getting up Alberic bleeds on the floor and a small golem squeegees the blood off the floor and scoot off towards the wall.

Alberic and Barner force their way into the Roomba golem’s side tunnel. They enter a maintenance bay. Alberic suffers some damage as he gets stuck in the maintenance hatch and Barner has to yank him through the door. Once inside Barner steals a Roomba so he can make a hoverboard later and they break the elevator that brings Roomba golems to the other floors. Alberic punches in the access panel and they emerge on the second floor and disable the traps.

The party finds an elevator to a Restricted R&D floor but decides that they want to gently caress up the gift shop before they leave. While Asteron is throwing some things around he knocks over the cash box and causes Hologram Mage to pop up again. After some scolding they hear a clicking noise and realize the animatronic band has grown sword and crossbow arms and are advancing on them. They barricade themselves in the gift shop and meet the golem charge at the bottleneck. Asteron directs Tick Tock to assist him in taking on the front line. They start trading blows with half the band but not gaining any ground. Alberic charges a golem and Barner runs in to assist his fellow halfling. Mittens begins trading spells and arrows with the archer golems.

Escalation Die 1

Asteron and Tick Tock get pushed back. Alberic and Barner eat a couple of arrows to the back. They counterattack and dismantle one golem but Alberic mentions that their Recoveries are running low.

Escalation Die 2

ONe more sword golem goes down to the two greatswords of Asteron and Tick Tock. Barner finishes he and Alberic’s golem and Mittens burns a hole in the final sword golem. Caerynn launches another folley of arrows that fail to meet their mark.

Esclation Die 3

Tick Tock overwhelms the last sword golem and Asteron charges the archers. Alberic joins him and they hammer on the last two golems. Barner and Mittens drop one of the archers with sustained fire. Caerynn begins to build a complex as the Ranger who can only land killshots as he jams the final golem up, killing it.

Caerynn shoots out the speaker and Barner breaks into the register, pocketing a small pile of gold and silver. The party loots an array of wind up toys, baseball caps and other souveneirs and heads into the elevator, where we will catch up in the next post.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Last night we had an excellent moment in our Scum and Villainy game where we're playing in the Star Wars universe. The crew was attempting to sell a load of stolen Force artifacts to an eccentric quarren sorcerer and discovered that another crew was attempting to do the same thing and that the quarren wanted them to fight for the better price. During the combat, the crew's Scoundrel (who has taken some combat abilities), took on the enemy wookie. She dodged under the wookie using the rockey boots that our rodian Mechanic made for her and turned around, pressing the boot into the small of the wookie's back and set him on fire. Enraged, the wookie grabbed her, and then she did one of those cool kung fu movie moves where she spun upwards and kicked the wookie in the side of the head with other rocket boot, rolling a critical success on the Scrap roll.

And thus our human Scoundrel concussed a burning wookie with a rocket-powered kick to the head and put an end to the fight pretty quickly.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

the_steve posted:

This thread has the best stories. :allears:
Someone really should gather the best and worst and put them to print. The Catpiss Chronicles - Tales of True Tabletop...something. I dunno, I'm not feeling witty tonight.

Ribaldry. True Tales of Tabletop Ribaldry.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Previous on Tanicus – Tombs, illusions, swords, and orcs.

Returning from the capital city after meeting with High Queen Kaelynn Dragonhall, the party stops over in the city of Chapel Hill at the request of our wizard Kynwal. Chapel Hill serves as the gateway to the southern lands of Wintermount, servicing nearly all the trade heading in that direction and therefore giving the local merchant guilds a fair amount of power. The party makes their way to an inn known as the Stone Gargoyle to rest for the evening…

The inn itself was completely modular. The wall tiles, the floor tiles, the steps, the doors – all of them were done via 3-D printer by a friend of the DM. With our DM using glue dots to hold the furniture in place the whole setup looked AMAZING when it was put down on the table. The oven in the kitchen was also created with a 3-D printer and had a little orange LED light inside that made it look like it was in use! We’d see the walls and floor tiles again in several other non-inn encounters later on the session as well. I’m pointing this out because the friend deserves to be recognized for doing something this awesome. It really cool to see just how far the hobby’s come along in the past few years and how much further it can go in the next few years!

The party settles down for some hardcore drinking, with Hale offering to buy the first round in order to bribe the waitress to switch out her beer for apple cider in return for paying full price for the beer. While this deception is being set up, Kynwal delivers his message to the bartender, a request to meet a lady unknown to the rest of the party known to Kynwal as the Blue Rose. She was not available to meet with our wizard that evening however, but promised to make it up to him in the future.

Aya decides to play wingman to Biff…

quote:

Aya – ”I’M SORRY THE LAST WOMAN YOU LAID WITH HAD CONCERNS ABOUT YOUR MASSIVE PENIS!”

…and Biff ends up spending the evening “touring” the local temples with a lovely female companion.

The rest of the party remains at the Stone Gargoyle where Kynwal decides to introduce Typhomine to some of the local culture.

quote:

Typhomine – ”I am quite familiar with the alcohol from my homeland, and I must wonder how the types of barely and grains used in crafting your beers and ales would affect not only the taste but perhaps their potency as well.”

Kynwal – ”I can’t speak for beer, however I can say our whiskey would differ from yours due to the trees we use to craft the barrels we age it in.”

Typhomine – ”Whiskey? I do not believe I’ve ever had whiskey…”

Kynwal – ”Barkeep! Whiskey please!”

Barkeep – ”Double malt or single malt?”

Kynwal – ”A double of the single malt.”

The drinks are brought over and Typhomine proceeds to have his first ever drink of whiskey…

quote:

DM – ”Roll a CON save.”

Typhomine – ”…I got a natural 1.”

DM – ”Did you use your breath weapon against the orcs?”

Typhomine – ”No I didn’t.”

DM – “OK…Typhomine takes a strong slug of the whiskey. A moment passes as he savors the taste before his eyes widen and a cloud of icy breath slaps Krowe across the face for…”

Typhomine – ”Just 3 damage.”

Krowe – ”Um…it’s still the same day as the orc fight so we haven’t taken a long rest yet right?”

DM – “Yep, it’s the same day. You arrived at Chapel Hill during sunset.”

Krowe – ”Well considering I only had one hit point left…Krowe fall unconscious…and fails a death save.”

Our Cleric is out getting busy and no one else has the Medicine skill at any proficiency. Krowe fails a second death save (Krowe – ”Let’s be honest, Krowe dying in a inn because of a whiskey-related accident wouldn’t surprise anyone who knew him”) before a Monk at one of the nearby tables comes over to heal him and save my PC from an indignant death.

quote:

DM – ”I admit I would have been disappointed if Krowe had died, however I would have told that story of how he died to every other DM I would have ever met.

After a good night’s sleep, the group departs from Chapel Hill to head back to Fallcrest. Midway through the second day of their three-day trip the party comes upon a group of tents. In the middle of the tents is a cookpot that is currently bubbling over as there is no there to tend to it.

With the aid of a female gorilla (which would eventually be christened “Fay”) from Aya’s Bag of Tricks, Krowe and Biff move to explore the camp (Biff – ”Hey, your food is burning!”). As Krowe goes to check the cookpot he steps on the trigger for a trap. The area around the cookpot explodes in a cloud of dirt and leaves as Krowe and the gorilla Fay get caught in a clamshell trap, the signal for the nearby bandits to come out of hiding.

The bandit leader reaches into a bag hanging on his belt, pulls out a longbow, and proceeds to open fire and hit Hale for a ridiculous amount of damage. While Krowe and Fay force open the clamshell (Krowe – ”I’m trapped in close quarters with a muscular female with a very unique musk and strangely this isn’t the first time this has ever happened to me.” Aya – ”Remember Krowe, you are married to my cousin!”) the party and bandits trade fire through the fantasy equivalent of an artillery barrage, trading arrows, spells, and bullets. Trees are catching on fire, bandits are falling from the sky, and Krowe manages to force open the clamshell trap. Fay emerges from the clamshell, something held in her hand…

quote:

DM – ”For the records, Apes in my campaign have the ability to Throw Rock, not Fling Poo.”

Biff – ”Not even for 1d8 dignity damage?”

Krowe quickly closed in on the bandit leader while Fay started to chuck rocks. As Krowe moves into melee range the bandit leader drops the longbow to reach into the pouch once again, this time removing a short sword to fend off his attackers, including a charging, raging Aya. The rest of the party took care of the other bandits with ease. Typhomine attempted to show a quality of mercy and allow one of the bandits to flee with his life only to watch as Hale blew that one’s head clean off with a critical hit as he had been the one who opened combat by shooting her.

The bandit leader took one look at his fallen comrades and another look at a feral Aya pulling back her greatsword before throwing down his short sword. ”I surrender. I have information you’re going to want to know.” Krowe managed to interpose himself between the bandit leader and Aya before relieving him of the weapon’s pouch on his belt. The bandit leader gave us his name, Cabott Swain, and told us that the information he had would definitely be worth sparing his life – the location of the notorious bandit known as the Red Fox.

The Count of Eastwyld, Lord Kendrian Graywinter, had been slain in a bandit attack several weeks prior along with nearly his entire family. Only the count’s youngest son Kennet survived thanks to the heroic actions of one of the count’s personal guard. It was rumored that the bandits who had participated in the attack were members of a group of brigands led by the bandit captain Reinard Lenfaux, also known by the colorful moniker “The Red Fox.” Cabott tells the party that Lenfaux’s hideout is located in the deepest portions of the Brandywine Forest, well beyond the areas currently being felled by the Woodcutter’s Guild, and that he’s holed up in an old castle with fallen towers aptly named Brokenspire Keep. ”The keep itself is pressed up against the mountains,” Cabott says. ”But the areas around the keep are well patrolled and it’s drat near impossible to sneak up on the place thanks to Lenfaux having a Druid in his back pocket. Nasty piece of work too. Does all sorts of blood sacrifices using humans instead of animals.” This piece of information resonates with Aya as in her tribe’s past several Druids were exiled due to performing their rituals using humanoid blood. The party holds up their end of the bargain and lets Cabott go after several well-rolled Insight checks confirm he’s telling the truth and that he’ll keep his word to leave Eastwyld. He heads north as the party brings the bodies of the bandits together for burning (one of the drawbacks of having a Cleric who serves the demigod of burial and funeral rites – if there is time after a battle to properly dispose of bodies, the two high Strength PC’s are going to be hauling corpses and stacking wood for a pyre) and Typhomine takes a few minutes to determine the magical nature of Cabott’s pouch, or rather what was in his pouch.

Definitely a piece of loot that may come in handy in a pinch should the party need a (quasi) magical weapon at a moment’s notice.

The party resumes their journey to Fallcrest, arriving just before nightfall and retiring for the evening. Biff heads to the temple of Lethik and Kynwal goes to the Lazy Wyvern while the rest of the party heads to Krowe’s house (Krowe – ”I guess it’s the Dragonhall Summer Place?” Biff – ”No it isn’t, I will NOT have that song stuck in my head”. As Krowe passes some gold over to his butler Cavendish in order to maintain the comfortable lifestyle…ah, the joys of being low level and having copper and silver coins actually matter…Aya gives Cavendish one of her big, crushing, embarrassing hugs.

quote:

Aya – ”We met the High Queen! Oh, and we also went to the house of Krowe’s older brother for fancy clothes! Krowe looks great in an almost-dress! And we met another Cavendish!”

Cavendish – ”Oh. You met my father. Is he still alive?”

Aya – ”Yes…and in good health for a man his age.”

Cavendish – ”Oh. Pity. I’m waiting for him to pass away so I may move up from serving Krowe.”

Aya – ”You want to leave here?”

Cavendish – ”Our family has served this branch of the Dragonhalls for years. Opportunities for advancing in the butling field are few and far between.”

Aya – ”Well if you do move to the capital city I PROMISE to come visit you every chance I get!”

Cavendish – ”Joy.”

As Krowe is having an ale while beginning to polish and oil his newly acquired magical sword, there’s a frantic knocking on the front door. Krowe opens the door to reveal a smaller looking man in leather clothing. He’s panting, sweating running down his red face, as he all but collapses into Krowe’s arms.

”Krowe…it’s Bryan. He’s been arrested.”

During his younger years, Krowe would often been seen around Fallcrest drinking and getting in trouble with three individuals – the Wizard transmuter Bryan Kenzie, the quick witted and smart mouth Bard Noth Vellvytt, and the rebellious noble Rebekkah Steelhilt. As the quartet grew older and more mature their responsibilities began to take hold. Krowe got married to a barbarian princess, Rebekkah found herself becoming part of the political structure in Fallcrest, and Bryan became involved with the Cabal, the arcane order that controls and regulates most of the world’s magic. Noth found himself falling in with Bryan, accompanying him on several assignments and tasks.

After Aya and Krowe get Nott to a chair and get a goblet of wine down his throat, Nott explains what had happened.

quote:

Noth - ”A few days ago, Bryan and I were hired by this gnome named Delkor Gearbender. Some old standing stones out in the country apparently sprouted a whole bunch of runes and he wanted a Cabal wizard to give them a once over. Bryan and I rode out to look at them, but while Bryan was studying them an Aedar patrol showed up. They said he was tampering with the border security of Merek and arrested him for it! They were going to haul him into Merek for a trial, but I managed to talk them into letting me find someone from the Cabal to defend him. When I left they were on their way to Pennynail to wait for me to show back up but I don’t think they’re going to wait too long, especially since those bastards took our horses. I had to run all the way back here…”

Krowe – ”Alright. You take a little bit to rest. Our friend Kynwal is a member of the Cabal and he’s pretty good with people…”

Noth – ”Krowe, we’re not going to defend Bryan at trial. We’re going to break him out of jail.”

A little backstory…

After the Third Incursion of Kaos the Aedar (the formal name for the dwarves of underground kingdom of Barak-Alorak) decided that enough was enough. For centuries the Aedar had endured tragedy after tragedy, including the destruction of two grand duchies, the loss of their capital Devorak during the Dragon War, the attempt by the Duergar clan to seize control of the city of Jherak, and finally the death of their patron god Fergus at the hands of the renegade archangel Az. Once the war against Az was over the Aedar withdrew from the surface and closed the iron gates to Barak-Alorak. They blamed humanity for the rise of Az’s cult and near-destruction of Tanicus and also blamed the Sidh (elves), more than anyone, for the death of their god. Only the gnomes and the seafaring dwarves known as the Firblog are welcome in the kingdom. The closest part of Barak-Alorak to Fallcrest is the city of Merek located in the mountains to the east, ruled by the Granite Duke Durgan Stonehammer.

While the Aedar have mostly retreated underground, there are still some dwarves that chose to remain on the surface, including those in the small town of Pennynail. While they enjoys somewhat cordial relations with most of the surface folk, the remaining Aedar in Fallcrest are often viewed with suspicion…

In the past few months several outlying farms have been looted and put to the torch by what were apparently Aedar raiding parties. Along with the substantial bounty posted above, the ruling bodies of the Eastwyld have responded with Article XXXIII.

quote:

Article XXIII. As a result of recent attacks, adult Aedar and Firbolgs, as well as visiting Vaegar and Thuizar are restricted to gatherings of no greater than three such individuals except under the chaperone of the guard. Such folk are under a twilight-to-dawn curfew within the political borders of any hamlet, town, or city within the Eastwyld.

Between the raids and the curfew, new Aedar…any new dwarven folk really…are viewed with suspicion and must step very lightly around the authorities. Even the kobold tinkerer known as Ginish Humanfriend has more respect than Aedar at the current moment – the guards just throw him out every time they catch him. Few Aedar remain inside the city of Fallcrest, mostly those who work in the service industry and assorted craftsfolk. The remaining Aedar have taken up residence in a tent city on the southern outskirts of Fallcrest. Perhaps most importantly, and unknown to most, Durgan Stonehammer has taken notice of the laws regulating the rights of his kind…

After a sorely needed night’s rest the party, with Noth riding alongside, departs at dawn for Pennynail, making a stop at the standing stones first to examine the dwarven runes. Kynwal and Typhomine study the runes and determine were indeed Aedar in nature. However the carvings themselves were inert, with no evidence of Aedar runecrafting magic evident. The only magical energy present was the residue of a tripped Alarm spell…

The party continues to ride towards Pennynail. Pennynail is a small village located in the foothills of the Broken Peaks. Once an outpost for the Aedar city of Merek before the kingdom shut its doors, Pennynail now serves to support a nearby iron mine being excavated by the Mining Guild. The small town hosts a temple to Moradin, the thain of craftsmanship and mining, as well as a temple to Brom, the eidolon of brewing and perseverance. In the absence of official relations between the kingdoms of the Wintermount and Barak-Alorak, the temples of the dwarven demigods have served as a sort of backchannel diplomatic means of communication.

Noth is advocating skipping the pleasantries and jumping right to the jailbreak as we approach the temple to Moradin. The party is greeted by Forgemaster Gond, who shows confusion when asked about the human prisoner he is holding.

quote:

”We are holding no prisoners, and there hasn’t been a patrol from Merek through this area in years.”

One frantic ride back to the standing stones later, Aya and Hale discover a pair of tracks heading north towards the mountains. One set of tracks appears to have been made by a small humaniond wearing heavy armor while the other set of footprints are deeper and even in stride, each step nearly the exact as the last. There are no footprints that would relate to a captive spellcaster.

Following the footprints brings the group to a sheer cliff. The footprints appear to head into the cliff, however there’s no entrance or doorway visible. It’s Typhomine’s turn to step forward and examine the cliff face, discovering that the section of the cliff is actually an intricate clockwork door – not quite as advanced as the modrons the party had encountered previously but still very detailed. He manages to find the catches to set it in motion. The door slowly pulls back to reveal a dark cave. Hale leads the way, Krowe hanging back to cover her with the rest of the party checking their six.

Rounding a corner, Hale calls for a stop. At the edge of her darkvision stand a stout figure holding a large hammer. As Krowe steps forward the figure lowers its head and charges…

It grapples Krowe with one clawed appendage and proceeds to nail him in the head with the hammer that makes up its other arm. Most of the party’s magic glances off of it for half-damage and it takes the melee efforts of Aya, Biff, and Krowe to bring it down.

After advancing further into the cave the party fought their way through three more mechanical figures before coming upon another set of clockwork doors.

After it failed to respond to Krowe’s repeated application of his boot, Typhomine and Biff discover the secret – a tiny hole that responds to the intake of air. In short, the door has to be blown open without the use of explosives. Kynwal cast Gust of Wind several times and eventually the doors swung inward.

Our friend Bryan is unconscious, bound to some sort of metal slab. A small gnome stands in front of it, feverishly working a series of dials, buttons, and levers. Another automaton stands motionless off to one side while a very much in motion automaton, humanoid in shape but packing heavy armor, is advancing towards the now open door. As the party readies their weapons, a pulse of electricity arcs between the helpless Bryan and the motionless automaton.

Behind his screen, the DM sets a die to 1. ”Roll initiative.”

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Yeah, that's a pretty sweet inn set up, well done to the player who put it together.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I love the Pikachu representing the electricity tracker.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Podima posted:

I love the Pikachu representing the electricity tracker.

Actually, Pikachu is how we track party inspiration. Along with personal inspiration the party has three uses of Pikachu per game session. First person to use it passes it on to someone of their choosing, who then passes it to the last person once they've used it. Only rule is you can't use it twice in one session.

We joke that our DM needs to make a Psyduck one for anti-inspiration and give it to me every time I make a horrible pun.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man that’s excellent. I love it!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Those tiles and walls look very similar, one of the players in my saturday game has a 3D printer and loves finding cool open source stuff to print out for our games.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Have I mentioned what I would give to be in any of your campaigns? Because I am very open to negotiations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

the_steve posted:

Have I mentioned what I would give to be in any of your campaigns? Because I am very open to negotiations.

Seriously I haven't DND'd since College but I would kill to come play with that group