Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aesop Poprock posted:

So everyone knew about him for decades and nothing was ever done? That’s some Stephen king poo poo

The Vancouver police ignored prostitutes disappearing for years and years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Randaconda posted:

Yeah I knew that part but I wasn’t aware the townsfolk were all woke to it apparently

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Randaconda posted:

While this thread has done nothing for my faith in law enforcement, the whole community knowing the local weirdo is a serial killer and just treating him like a missing stair feels pretty strange. Are there more cases like that? That's what really makes this story creepy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Did he ever kill people that weren't sex workers?

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Jedit posted:

Shut down the thread, boys, you know we've gone mainstream when the Guardian starts joining in.

When we heard the announcement that the Trailside Killer had been captured, my mom calmly said "I went on a couple of dates with him". she told us that they were group outings, where he was her 'date' for the evening, not an event where he asked her out, and they went somewhere on their own. All the girls knew not to be alone in a room with him.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Aesop Poprock posted:

So everyone knew about him for decades and nothing was ever done? That’s some Stephen king poo poo

between this and the toronto serial killer i'm beginning to think canada keeps it's murder rate down by just never arresting ppl for murder :shrug:

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Caganer posted:

between this and the toronto serial killer i'm beginning to think canada keeps it's murder rate down by just never arresting ppl for murder :shrug:

Gays and prostitute's don't count.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Caganer posted:

Was the dead person a sex worker, gay person, or Indigenous person? If not, maybe someone will get arrested.

Not that the US has anything to brag about in this respect, of course.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Flyball posted:

Gays and prostitute's don't count.

would the PM care if they put on weird socks?

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

AlbieQuirky posted:

Indigenous person
Oh, yeah, I forgot them - just like the government does.

Caganer posted:

would the PM care if they put on weird socks?
I don't understand that one.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Flyball posted:

Oh, yeah, I forgot them - just like the government does.

I don't understand that one.

The new PM, Justin Trudeau, has been criticized for mostly showboating - lots of photo ops etc but not much substantive progressive policy. He often does zany stuff like wear star wars socks and the press eat it up.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Reading about this woman’s death and the disposability of Filipino women in overseas domestic work is heartbreaking.

Slain Filipina in freezer shows risks to overseas workers

quote:

When Joanna Demafelis’ indebted family needed money to fix their typhoon-battered home, she followed in the footsteps of millions of other Filipinos and left to find work overseas. And like far too many Filipinos, her journey ended in tragedy.

Demafelis’ mutilated body was found last month inside a freezer in an abandoned apartment in Kuwait, where she worked as a housemaid for a Lebanese man and his Syrian wife. She had likely been dead for more than a year.

Demafelis’ calls to her family were brief and scant and she did not mention any problem, according to her sister Joyce Demafelis. When she stopped calling in 2016, her family started to get worried and notified authorities in December that year, [brother] Joejet Demafelis said.

“I asked why no action was taken and I was told it was humanly impossible to attend to them ... there was too much work,” [Labor Secretary Silvestre] Bello said, adding he did not accept that excuse and recalled the Kuwait-based officer and two others.

Unlike professionals who work in offices, housemaids are particularly vulnerable to abuse given that they work in the privacy of homes out of sight of authorities, said Bernard Olalia, who heads the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration, which regulates the deployment of Filipinos abroad.

In some countries, such as Kuwait, employers often keep the passports and cellphones of their maids to prevent them from fleeing, but it also cuts them off from their families and other support systems, Olalia said. An option the government is considering is to ban Filipina maids from being deployed but continue allowing professionals to seek jobs abroad, Olalia said.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Busket Posket posted:

Reading about this woman’s death and the disposability of Filipino women in overseas domestic work is heartbreaking.

Slain Filipina in freezer shows risks to overseas workers

I was actually pondering something related to this after the earlier posts about the (some supposedly voluntary, others not) sex workers locked up in the guy's basement. For exploitation-vulnerable positions like maids, or in theory sex workers where it's legal but still not ironed-out yet, I wonder if it would be helpful to require the person to show up in person every other month or so for some kind of mandatory training/feedback session (billed to their employer so they aren't losing work hours), where part of the intent is to get them into a secure location away from their employers where you can explicitly ask them if there's any abuse, and if allegations come up authorities can physically prevent alleged abusers from getting at them?

Non-immigrant sex workers it might be trickier since they might have family or other associates you can threaten, but with either imported maids or imported sex workers, their families and most of their non-work friends are in another country, so they're presumably not risking too much beyond whatever pay they're owed and whatever amount of personal possessions they have at their workplace, so harder to leverage them if they turn witness while at their secured training site.

Not that I'm in a position to set policy, just spitballing ideas as a thought exercise.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

probably more helpful in the long run to solve the issues (like western exploitation of countries in the global south, systemic poverty and income inequality, othering/dehumanizing of foreign workers, misogyny...) that lead people to those positions. Your proposal feels like it's trying to file off the "rough edges" of a bucket full of glass shards.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

probably more helpful in the long run to solve the issues (like western exploitation of countries in the global south, systemic poverty and income inequality, othering/dehumanizing of foreign workers, misogyny...) that lead people to those positions. Your proposal feels like it's trying to file off the "rough edges" of a bucket full of glass shards.

Solving global income inequality is going to take, bare minimum, at least three of four years, so in the interim providing some level of oversight seems a good partway measure.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
The Disappearance of the Yuba County Five

:spooky: posted:

Joe Shones was having a heart attack. The 55-year-old Californian had felt fine just a few minutes previously, navigating his Volkswagen on a desolate mountain road near Rogers Cow Camp in the Plumas National Forest to see if weather conditions were good enough to bring his family along for a weekend excursion the following day. But as he drove further into the night, snowdrifts slowed his tires. When he got out to push his car, the exertion brought on a searing pain in his chest. It was February 24, 1978, and Shones was miles from help.

As he sat in his car wondering what to do, he noticed two sets of headlights, one belonging to a pickup truck. Hoping he could flag down the passerby, he exited his vehicle and began screaming for help. He would later say he saw a group of men, one woman, and a baby. They continues walking, ignoring him. Hours later, back inside his car, he saw what he thought were flashlights. When he went back outside to yell into the darkness, no one responded to the sound of his voice.

Hours into his ordeal and with his car still stuck and now out of gas, Shones felt well enough to begin walking down the mountain road and toward a lodge roughly eight miles away. He passed a 1969 Mercury Montego, but the vehicle had no occupants. Perhaps, Shones thought, it belonged to the group he had seen earlier.

At the time, Shones was preoccupied with his own emergency. But authorities would later realize the biggest story to emerge from that dark, desolate road wasn't his brush with death. It was the fact that Shones had likely wound up being the last person to see Ted Weiher, Gary Mathias, Jack Madruga, Jack Huett, and Bill Sterling alive.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I was actually pondering something related to this after the earlier posts about the (some supposedly voluntary, others not) sex workers locked up in the guy's basement. For exploitation-vulnerable positions like maids, or in theory sex workers where it's legal but still not ironed-out yet, I wonder if it would be helpful to require the person to show up in person every other month or so for some kind of mandatory training/feedback session (billed to their employer so they aren't losing work hours), where part of the intent is to get them into a secure location away from their employers where you can explicitly ask them if there's any abuse, and if allegations come up authorities can physically prevent alleged abusers from getting at them?

Non-immigrant sex workers it might be trickier since they might have family or other associates you can threaten, but with either imported maids or imported sex workers, their families and most of their non-work friends are in another country, so they're presumably not risking too much beyond whatever pay they're owed and whatever amount of personal possessions they have at their workplace, so harder to leverage them if they turn witness while at their secured training site.

Not that I'm in a position to set policy, just spitballing ideas as a thought exercise.

There was a decent long read in The Guardian last week about how similar cases are handled in the US. Spoiler: it's badly

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Solving global income inequality is going to take, bare minimum, at least three of four years, so in the interim providing some level of oversight seems a good partway measure.

"Making everyone not poor" is going to take three or four years minimum? I'd love to see the plan you have in your head for that timeframe. I can't think of one that doesn't take decades, unless it includes magic wands.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
hint: they get hired not for housework--their employers can afford housework. they are hired to be sex slaves and to be abused. that is a big part of why the system does not change.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Apropos.
There was a video last year showing an Ethiopian maid who dropped from a 7 story building while her employer was filming her as she was clinging on to the window for dear life.
I'm going to link the video but be warned I really regretted watching the video at the time and it was even worse the second time around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beDc7EyHzRA

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

"Making everyone not poor" is going to take three or four years minimum? I'd love to see the plan you have in your head for that timeframe. I can't think of one that doesn't take decades, unless it includes magic wands.

That's the joke.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I agree except that Dubai isn't the West. Exploitation by rich countries of workers from poor countries isn't only a Western problem anymore.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Spooky as heck although they do try to avoid the topic that these men were mentally deficient and probably did dumb things as a result.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Sarcopenia posted:

Apropos.
There was a video last year showing an Ethiopian maid who dropped from a 7 story building while her employer was filming her as she was clinging on to the window for dear life.
I'm going to link the video but be warned I really regretted watching the video at the time and it was even worse the second time around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beDc7EyHzRA

I didn't watch so I googled this case, and fyi to anyone who's wondering - she survived with a broken arm and some other lesser injuries.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
Pick posted a couple stories in GBS this thread might like:

Burned out caretaker kills granddaughter

Pick posted:

She spent 14 years caring for a granddaughter with cerebral palsy. Then she shot her, police say.

Saw this on the Washington Post, which opens up a lot of questions.

Do you think this really was just a case of burnout? Caregiver burnout is a big thing. Was this her suggesting she didn't trust anyone else to step in? What services should have been available to the family? Have you ever burned someone out because they were trying to care for your stupid rear end?

Autistic 18 year old kills caretaker

Pick posted:

I mostly think it's sad she killed the girl who still had a ton to offer but it might have been because she didn't trust anyone else to give her the respect and care she deserved.

Of course this can end very badly in other ways.

link

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I definitely feel like, while there are inherently stressful things about caring for a severely disabled person, societal ableism and difficulty of finding resources makes an already stressful situation hellish. And plenty of people manage to deal with that without killing their dependents or abusing them, but everyone would benefit if there was more of a societal support network so people were not going bankrupt or pushing themselves to mental breakdowns to deal with illness and disability.

Luxury gay space communism now!

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
I'm actually a little surprised no one's tried this before.

From a cold, emotionless engineering standpoint if you had multiple people abducted by a serial killer you could probably shortlist quickly people who were near all the crime scenes or dump sites.

(I'm reading a book now about Ted Bundy, and apparently they'd narrowed down a small list of "Teds" to work through as suspects and if they'd have had modern computers they could have easily noticed that the only one who moved from Washington to Utah was Ted Bundy with basic data science)

Raleigh cops are investigating crime by getting Google to reveal the identity of every mobile user within acres of the scene

quote:

Public records requests have revealed that on at least four occasions, the Raleigh-Durham police obtained warrants forcing Google to reveal the identities of every mobile user within acres of a crime scene, sweeping up the personal information of thousands of people in a quest to locate a single perp.

The warrants came with gag orders that banned Google from disclosing their existence; in their requests for the warrants, local prosecutors say that they don't even believe that warrants are needed to get this information, but since Google insists, they're willing to get them.

The cops insist that this approach balances the public's Fourth Amendment rights with their need to fight crimes. Only one of the crimes in which police used this dragnet technique has had an arrest; it's not clear if this arrest was the result of data from Google.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
What judges are signing off on those warrants? Goddamn.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The What If? Podcast did an episode on the Yuba City Incident and the whole thing is just utterly bizarre, not like paranormal bizarre, but even with the various psychiatric and intellectual disabilities, their actions make absolutely no sense. Since I listened to the episode, I've thought about it occasionally and this is what I think happened.

The best I can figure, the guys met some people at the basketball game and they were somehow enticed to go with them, like with the promise of a party at their new friends' cabin or something. They all leave the game together, with the Mercury following the new friend's pickup.

They all make it to the spot the Mercury is found, either with a "the cabin is just a mile or two ahead" or by force, the guys get into the bed of the truck at that point. If they weren't forced, at some point they realize that things are profoundly wrong. Maybe it's when they get to the murder cabin, maybe it's before that and they make a break into the woods.

The guys bail out and run into the woods, their would be captors in hot pursuit. The guys manage to lose them but now they're out in the woods without the right gear or any idea how to get back.

The guys are still afraid of the crazy people in the pickup finding them, so they keep going away from where their car is. Weihr and Matthias are the only two who make it to the cabin, the others dying from exposure on the way. Weihr is in no shape to go for help, but Matthias is in somewhat better shape, so he goes for help almost immediately, changing shoes with Weihr for some reason.

Matthias then dies somewhere else while going for help, while Weihr, in a poor mental state from hypothermia and frostbite, slowly starves to death.

Admittedly, it requires a lot of leaps, but it's the only thing that even kinda makes sense to me.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

pookel posted:

I didn't watch so I googled this case, and fyi to anyone who's wondering - she survived with a broken arm and some other lesser injuries.
I should have mentioned it but yeah, I wouldn't have posted the video if she died in it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Someone needs to tell these cops about GPS spoofing, which is freely available on any Android phone.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Jedit posted:

Someone needs to tell these cops about GPS spoofing, which is freely available on any Android phone.

Also iPhones exist. And airplane mode. And power switches, and not taking a phone to a crime.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

On the Yuba City Incident, I am still bemused by why Weihr didn't eat the food in the cabin. I mean, he might have died from hypothermia anyway, but eat the food, Weihr!

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Pick posted:

Spooky as heck although they do try to avoid the topic that these men were mentally deficient and probably did dumb things as a result.

it's still unnerving :colbert:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Also iPhones exist. And airplane mode. And power switches, and not taking a phone to a crime.

I often put my phone in airplane mode just for battery reasons. I have a low data plan cause it's cheaper, and rely on podcasts to keep my entertained.

Plus not being constantly available is a feature, not a bug.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Pick posted:

Of all posters I didn't expect you to label them "mentally deficient"

Azathoth posted:

The What If? Podcast did an episode on the Yuba City Incident and the whole thing is just utterly bizarre, not like paranormal bizarre, but even with the various psychiatric and intellectual disabilities, their actions make absolutely no sense. Since I listened to the episode, I've thought about it occasionally and this is what I think happened.

The best I can figure, the guys met some people at the basketball game and they were somehow enticed to go with them, like with the promise of a party at their new friends' cabin or something. They all leave the game together, with the Mercury following the new friend's pickup.

They all make it to the spot the Mercury is found, either with a "the cabin is just a mile or two ahead" or by force, the guys get into the bed of the truck at that point. If they weren't forced, at some point they realize that things are profoundly wrong. Maybe it's when they get to the murder cabin, maybe it's before that and they make a break into the woods.

The guys bail out and run into the woods, their would be captors in hot pursuit. The guys manage to lose them but now they're out in the woods without the right gear or any idea how to get back.

The guys are still afraid of the crazy people in the pickup finding them, so they keep going away from where their car is. Weihr and Matthias are the only two who make it to the cabin, the others dying from exposure on the way. Weihr is in no shape to go for help, but Matthias is in somewhat better shape, so he goes for help almost immediately, changing shoes with Weihr for some reason.

Matthias then dies somewhere else while going for help, while Weihr, in a poor mental state from hypothermia and frostbite, slowly starves to death.

Admittedly, it requires a lot of leaps, but it's the only thing that even kinda makes sense to me.

This makes a lot less sense than making a series of mistakes and bad decisions.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, "guys got lost in the woods and died" is a lot more believable than "guys got chased through the woods by murderers, somehow got away, and then died from being lost in the woods."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm not calling them that, the article did. I'm not trying to be a dick, maybe I should have written mentally challenged? But that was their thing right?

It might not be their fault they couldn't make good decisions but imho that's the easiest answer under normal circumstances and double so under these.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Jedit posted:

Shut down the thread, boys, you know we've gone mainstream when the Guardian starts joining in.

You've got to hand it to him on the whole "inviting them over for a barbecue" thing, like that's so loving self-referential it's amazing.

So uh, I (very loosely) know someone who got serial-killed. :stare:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42980512
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/americas/toronto-bruce-mcarthur-suspected-serial-killer/index.html

When Andrew first went missing we'd assumed he was on the run for murdering someone but it ends up her got murdered himself.

The loving kicker was that Toronto police denied for weeks there was a serial killer preying on gay men after multiple disappearances, allowing even more men to be killed. Guy was a landscaper that hid parts of his victims in plots and planters/pots he worked in. Super hosed up, exacerbated by Toronto PD not giving a gently caress about the victims because they're gay.

http://torontosun.com/2017/07/10/kinsman-not-the-first-gay-man-to-go-missing-in-village/wcm/8049db1c-59ef-4078-82a3-3f0c90764a45
http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/are-police-doing-enough-to-find-missing-people-in-torontos-gay-village/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So Andrew was a crazy guy huh?