Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Deadmeat5150 posted:

It would be easier to sell the Toro to some Davion noble collector for more c-bills than its worth. They'd probably dip it in bronze or something equally stupid.

No it wouldn't.

The nobility knows garbage when they look at it. Anyone who can afford to pay an arm and a leg for the Toro is going to know enough about BattleMechs to not buy a 35 tonner with a top speed slower than all but the largest assault 'Mechs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

No it wouldn't.

The nobility knows garbage when they look at it. Anyone who can afford to pay an arm and a leg for the Toro is going to know enough about BattleMechs to not buy a 35 tonner with a top speed slower than all but the largest assault 'Mechs.

Unless they're someone starved for mechs enough that they don't really care that it's bad. I mean, people still consider Wasps valuable. Wasps. I'm sure some Outback world would be happy to allocate their entire defense budget for the next couple years towards paying for a gen-u-ine Battlemech to be the centerpiece of their defense forces.

And then weep tears as the next pirate attack wrecks it because the Toro is poo poo, but that's firmly in the realm of "not our problem". Plus there's plenty of stupid nobles. Not all of them own Battlemechs, or have extensive knowledge of them. You're said yourself in the past that Battlemechs are practically mythical in their status, even though tanks and other combat vehicles are far more cost effective. So even if the noble sees that it's an outdated piece of trash, that doesn't mean it's necessarily a no-sell. You can't have it both ways, that mechs are seen as far, far better than they really are AND that every single nobleman in the Inner Sphere is an expert on them and knows how terrible this one is, and would refuse to buy it on the grounds that "it's bad." There's lots of bad mechs, and people still pay high prices for them, especially here at the end of the 3rd Succession War.

I mean you say nobility knows garbage when they look at it but I bet you if I got the average more-money-than-sense nobility a McBurger Lord Happy Meal and took it out of the packaging, arranged it on a fancy plate and got their cutlery put in place properly and told them it was a specialty from [insert far away planet here] they'd eat it up. Literally and figuratively.

Hessi
Oct 28, 2010
Considering that the Taurians put the single Toro that survived the battles with the SLDF on a huge pillar in their capital city (according to Sarna.net) and this mech is the precursor of said unit, i d say the Taurians would definitely pay the most for it, but given the situation, sell it to ComStar so they can offer it to the Taurians for brownie points is the only realistic option.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Do we even know what this thing is, in-character? Or, rather, isn't the only reason we know it's a Toro and Toros are bad is because someone looked it up on Sarna?

Either way, whoever we're dumping this junk on selling this valuable artifact to, we ought to play up how ~old~ and ~mysterious~ and ~lostech~ it is. Because odds are if professional mechjockeys don't know what this is, everyone else won't either.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's a piece of poo poo we found in a cupboard. Like finding a rusty armoured car from the 50s in the back of your barn.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Do we even know what this thing is, in-character? Or, rather, isn't the only reason we know it's a Toro and Toros are bad is because someone looked it up on Sarna?

Either way, whoever we're dumping this junk on selling this valuable artifact to, we ought to play up how ~old~ and ~mysterious~ and ~lostech~ it is. Because odds are if professional mechjockeys don't know what this is, everyone else won't either.

The issue is that it's an old Mech stored in a warehouse for indeterminate reasons that's also close to a major planet, and that the planet said mech is stored on is absolutely swarming with "pirates." In other words, it makes an already shady situation even shadier.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Not quite, or at least not entirely. Even without knowing the name, the techs can see it's a 35-ton mech with a really lovely engine and completely outdated armor. That alone would be reason enough not to keep it, even aside from any historical/cultural value it might be worth to sell.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

No worries, I had some issues at first to. Here is the thread which should point you to the files and walk you through the set up and start.

Anyone using this guide should know that the latest MekHQ release comes with an AtB rules sheet included, so there's no need to download one separately like the first step says.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

So for new folks, today's lesson: What makes a good lance?

At higher scales, you're often going to be served best by having purpose-specific lances: close combat, recon, deep raiding, fire support, etc. But at the level we're at (and likely will be at for quite a while), you're going to want your lances to be generalists. What does that mean?

One of your mechs should be a reconnaissance unit. Generally this means a light mech that's fast, jump-capable ideally. Having some kind of enhanced sensor suite is nice if possible (though not an option in some tech level/scenarios). The recon unit's primary job is to find the enemy, ID their force composition and act as a forward spotter for longer ranged attackers. Recon mechs often work as knife-fighters as well - their speed and the fact that they're out forward of everybody else means they're going to frequently be in close to the enemy. As the main method of survival is staying out of their firing arcs, this mech is going to be behind the enemy a lot. So that's good opportunity to score back shots for easy internal damage. Heat efficiency is not usually an issue - with their speed, disengaging for a turn to cool down is simple. Keep in mind that recon mechs are also fragile and usually die first, so don't get too attached. These are your Locusts, your Jenners, your Firestarters.

One of your mechs should be a fire support unit. Usually this means they're reliant on LRMs, though light autocannons or PPCs can work as well. Speed is not a major factor, though jumping is useful (but not required) so you can get into position. This mech's primary job is to lay down fire at long ranges, using the recon as a spotter. This is generally your best shot as they'll be firing from really long ranges and thus worse to-hits. Heavier armor is good, since this mech is often going to be fairly stationary to get better shots off. These mechs should be as close to heat-neutral as you can get - you want to be able to keep up a constant stream of fire, so both good heat management and deep ammo bins are critical. Here's your Catapults, your Awesomes, your Jagermechs.

One mech is your striker - generally a jump-capable medium with a mix of weapons. This is your skirmisher and serves a few roles - they're the one that breaks off to chase down enemy units that try to flee; they're the one that intercept enemy flankers; they're the one that flanks in the opposite direction as the recon mech to try and split the enemy's fire. This is one of the more dangerous roles, since the striker tends to be off alone a lot. Pick on the fire support units, disrupt their formation, harrass the strong and kill the weak. Weapon choices vary a lot, but because they're jumping a lot and moving through rough terrain you'll usually have to watch your heat carefully. Usually you're better off with a brace of smaller weapons - getting into close range is easy, but hitting is tougher. Bad to-hits mean that rolling the dice on a bunch of smaller strikes usually gives you a better outcome than one single roll for a lot of damage. (Exception: Griffins. Goddamn Griffins are great.) These are things like the Phoenix and Shadow Hawks, Valkyries, Wolverines and the like.

The last mech is usually a trooper or close assault mech - their job is to be the wall between the enemy and the fire support mech. Heavy armor and a varied weapon suite is the way to go here. You want a generalist that can engage at most ranges while being able to soak incoming fire. The anvil to everybody else's hammer. Firepower should be a priority - the mech should be something the enemy wants to avoid and stay out of the way of, rather than trying to run past. Here's where you find your Centurions, Thunderbolts and Hunchbacks.

With this kind of breakdown, you'll generally have all your bases covered and be able to at least put up a fight against most opponents. It's not as strong in a particular area as a specialized group, but you won't be caught with your pants down. And when you've only got a handful of mechs to work with, that's more important.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Your lance is going to be a bit strung out with that set-up, isn't it?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

We've been broadly sticking to that setup so far and it's worked out pretty good. Nasir up front, scouting with the Commando :rip:, Lionheart in the back laying on consistent damage with the LRMs, Jimmums in The Shitbird doing midrange and closerange work, and Figment doing longrange/midrange work.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Having downloaded MekHQ from the sourceforge site, I can't seem to find an actual MekHQ file to run, as per the guide. I've got practically everything else, from campaign files to megamek and meklab stuff, but nothing to run campaigns with.

Edit: Nevermind. Turns out the version I had was intended for different purposes.

Edit 2: Even reading the guide linked, I seem to have messed up. Might be because I've set the starting date too early or something? I can't seem to generate a force inside the app itself, do I have to do that in the Excel sheets and then import them?

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 17, 2018

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

evilmiera posted:

Edit 2: Even reading the guide linked, I seem to have messed up. Might be because I've set the starting date too early or something? I can't seem to generate a force inside the app itself, do I have to do that in the Excel sheets and then import them?

What do you mean by being unable to generate a force? Is there no dropdown menu at the top left titled Marketplace that you can select Purchase Unit from? There is no built-in way to generate a randomized starting force in MechHQ itself. So you can either choose your starting units as you please, or roll from a Random Assignment Table (RAT) from one of the Battletech products that include them, or use Megamek's force generation function to select a RAT to roll on, etc. Once you've decided on how many mechs you want to start out with and which ones you just add them, as mentioned above, through the Purchase Unit in the Marketplace.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah, if you're having to use Excel for anything I don't even know WTF you're doing. You shouldn't need anything that's not included with the MekHQ download. If you do, it's time to download a newer version. The AtB poo poo is integrated and has been for some time.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yeah, nevermind. For some reason, adding funds via the GM option wasn't showing up. Everything seems to be working now.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

A dumb question about MekHQ - where do I get it? I googled MekHQ and went to the sourceforge page, went through the link to the place where it is allegedly currently stored, downloaded the mekhq-master.zip, and when I unpacked it it looks like I just have MegaMek. As much fun as I have playing MegaMek, MekHQ as well would be nice. There's a bunch of ATB docs and guides in the \docs folder, and there is some mekhq .jar files in the \src subfolder...

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
https://github.com/MegaMek/mekhq/releases

That's where to get the newest version.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Q_res posted:

https://github.com/MegaMek/mekhq/releases

That's where to get the newest version.

Thanks.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

This thread inspired me to get into MekHQ, only to get stymied by the lack of documentation. I got a lance set up, got to the planet, got a mission to go on, at which point I can't actually do the mission. There's a button for start game in the briefing room, except it's greyed out along with all the other buttons. Does anyone have a tutorial that isn't from 2014 and doesn't stop at the unit creation process?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is it the correct day? The mission shows up a couple of days before go-time.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

seaborgium posted:

This thread inspired me to get into MekHQ, only to get stymied by the lack of documentation. I got a lance set up, got to the planet, got a mission to go on, at which point I can't actually do the mission. There's a button for start game in the briefing room, except it's greyed out along with all the other buttons. Does anyone have a tutorial that isn't from 2014 and doesn't stop at the unit creation process?

Make sure you advance time until the day of the mission.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

seaborgium posted:

Did you assign the lance to the mission?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

Did you assign the lance to the mission?

The original question wasn't from me, but I'm having the same problem.

How do you assign a lance or mech to a mission? In the TO&E I was able to assign a lance to what seems like my mercenary company. And on the briefing room tab I can assign a "force" to a particular role on a mission so I can fulfill that. I was able to do the first mission in my contract by advancing to the relevant day and then clicking the mission, and I could just hit Start Game.

But I now have a special mission that says I need to send a single mech to do something or other and I have no clue how to do that. The Start Game button and all the other mission specific missions are greyed out.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Make sure you advance time until the day of the mission.

Thank you.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Arcturas posted:

The original question wasn't from me, but I'm having the same problem.

How do you assign a lance or mech to a mission? In the TO&E I was able to assign a lance to what seems like my mercenary company. And on the briefing room tab I can assign a "force" to a particular role on a mission so I can fulfill that. I was able to do the first mission in my contract by advancing to the relevant day and then clicking the mission, and I could just hit Start Game.

But I now have a special mission that says I need to send a single mech to do something or other and I have no clue how to do that. The Start Game button and all the other mission specific missions are greyed out.

Go to your TO&E and choose the mech you want to send, then right click on it and deploy it to the mission, just like you would for a whole lance.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
For anyone looking for a VERY in depth guide to AtB campaigns with MechHQ, try this: http://www.mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against+the+Bot+Instructions+v2-5.pdf

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Invalid format error (on my phone).

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

Invalid format error (on my phone).

It works fine with my PDF reader on my laptop, I don't know what could cause the issue. It's got a lot of reference pictures in it, I dunno if that would do anything?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Some of these megamek sprites bother me so I've started editing them, but I get the feeling this is a timehole that's way too easy to fall into.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Xarbala posted:

Some of these megamek sprites bother me so I've started editing them, but I get the feeling this is a timehole that's way too easy to fall into.

I've modified a bunch because I hate how boxy and ugly the newer, standardised sprites look. If you're like me and preferred the older ones you'll have to hope you can find an older version of megamek from before they decided to hand everything over to one artist.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Scintilla posted:

I've modified a bunch because I hate how boxy and ugly the newer, standardised sprites look. If you're like me and preferred the older ones you'll have to hope you can find an older version of megamek from before they decided to hand everything over to one artist.

I'm not entirely sure I'll go that route, but only because I also went a bit silly and decided to grab a bunch of mwo concept art, repaints, and so forth to provide some fluff images for when I look at the mechs in the mekhq hangar. I also tossed some of my own artwork in there out of vanity. Also some plog stuff, like his XTRO Gunslingers work. And then went and modified some sprites to look more like their mwo counterparts or, in some cases, their MW4 incarnations like the Hellspawn. The megamek sprite for the Hellspawn is a generic collection of boxes (like many lights and mediums, sadly), while its model in MW4:Mercs was a neat lopsided design.

The MWO Fafnir is basically just an FD'ed up David White Fafnir so I'm just treating those as the same in spirit. And a Fafnir from a top-down perspective is probably not the most exciting silhouette, I admit, but simplicity can be a good thing.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

The Fafnir is one of my favorite mechs, at least in concept. Take the biggest loving gauss rifles you can find, make them even bigger, and weld them onto a set of legs. Problem is it's both short ranged and slow as poo poo but hey, 2x heavy gauss yo.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Fafnir is one of my favorite mechs, at least in concept. Take the biggest loving gauss rifles you can find, make them even bigger, and weld them onto a set of legs. Problem is it's both short ranged and slow as poo poo but hey, 2x heavy gauss yo.

iHGRs fix that so you basically get AC/22's with PPC range.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Xarbala posted:

:iit:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Xarbala posted:

They're also, individually, the size of some 'mechs.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

finally got MekHq to work, got into a one on one scenario fight with my griffin vs a hunchback g. Hunchback fires its AC/20, crits, blows off my right arm and ppc. next round, blows off my left arm. gently caress you, gently caress your cannon, gently caress this. Griffin jumps for a death from above, knocks down the hunchback, knocks out the pilot, and proceeds to kick the poo poo out of the downed hunchback for the win. 11/10 would snipe again

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Good thread idea and good execution.

Getting the MegaMek and MekHQ to work on linux seems strangely odd. Most of the .sh launch scripts it it supposed to extract with (listed on the download page for that specific file as being part of the contents) are not there, and all of the provided scenarios folders are empty. Don't seem to be able to start any games either. I've tried to ensure that the proper java is installed but it errors out at the end of the installation for all of them.

Don't know what I'm doing wrong, but it appears to be everything? :confuoot:

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

winterwerefox posted:

finally got MekHq to work, got into a one on one scenario fight with my griffin vs a hunchback g. Hunchback fires its AC/20, crits, blows off my right arm and ppc. next round, blows off my left arm. gently caress you, gently caress your cannon, gently caress this. Griffin jumps for a death from above, knocks down the hunchback, knocks out the pilot, and proceeds to kick the poo poo out of the downed hunchback for the win. 11/10 would snipe again

That's what happens when you get within Murder Range of an AC/20.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah I'm just impressed the bot managed to get a hunchback in blamming range of a griffin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Given the value of that LRM-hauler we sold earlier, it seems like a highly viable strategy would be to just show up with several dozen of them and a single spotter 'mech. What's the counter to this strategy?

• Locked thread