Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

pumpinglemma posted:

I have a Chinese friend who unironically argues that Trump and Brexit prove democracy is a terrible system and China's approach is better. Obviously I don't agree, but I'm not particularly surprised the pro-army rule group is growing.

whats chinas approach mean? Theyre sliding back into a dictatorship. Dont we have plenty of historical evidence that dictators are bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

"Gonna be here shooting a while?"

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

thewalk posted:

whats chinas approach mean? Theyre sliding back into a dictatorship. Dont we have plenty of historical evidence that dictators are bad?

China's cultural appetite for nationalism seeps into a lot of Chinese people who are otherwise smart and reasonable.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Sorus posted:

How much of this is bullets?

This is actually becoming a problem.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

thewalk posted:

China's official position is that its brand of ostensibly worker-focused oligarchy is the best system. More stable than democracies, less tyrannical than dictatorships, and the guiding principles of the CCP prevent the exploitation of the weak (yeah right)

Caros
May 14, 2008

actionjackson posted:

"Gonna be here shooting a while?"

I think I even see a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range on the shelf.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

thewalk posted:

China used to be a Democracy?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
How much Alabama gun crime can be traced to guns stolen from gas stations like that?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Pakled posted:

China's official position is that its brand of ostensibly worker-focused oligarchy is the best system. More stable than democracies, less tyrannical than dictatorships, and the guiding principles of the CCP prevent the exploitation of the weak (yeah right)

Also Papa Xi cult of personality bullshit.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Caros posted:

You are misreading it. They whisked him off to play golf, in order to keep him from getting any angrier and possibly trying to fire sessions again. This is the political equivalent of taking your shrieking child to dairy queen in order to get them to calm down. Except this man has access to the nuclear codes.

"MAR-A-LAGO! MAR-A-LAGO! MAR-A-LAGO!"

We need the equivalent of someone who can drive Trump to the McDonald's drive-thru then order a coffee for themselves.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Brazen Bull. Generally considered a fictional torture device (like the iron maiden) from antiquity.

Excellent use of the reference too.

gently caress that. Scaphism would be the way to go for Trump stooges.

Charliegrs posted:

I'm going to take a wild guess and say Medvedev will be president of Russia every 12 years then.

Putin's 65 right now, so he's nearing the expiration limit for most of the Soviet premiers, save Gorbachev and Georgy Malenkov, so it's likely this will be the last go-around. Given the similarities in reign, comfort level, etc., I'd probably put Putin's retirement closer to Stalin and Brezhnev, who died at 75 and 76 after being in charge 29 years and 18 years, respectively.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Katt posted:

I think they're differentiating between dictatorship under one person (like Mao) and oligarchy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://twitter.com/mrbromwich/stat...&tfw_site=axios

McCabe's lawyer

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Granted, Putin will probably have a much longer lifespan than Soviet leaders.

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

Fallom posted:

My Facebook is just funny videos and people I know talking about the cool stuff they’re doing. I half suspect that the people who see an avalanche of garbage are doing it to themselves.

depends what your family and life social circle consists of. For most of my 40 years of life my social circle built up in ohio, my family, military friends

And then Obama got elected and I started to see how horrible many of them are via facebook. Then they elected Trump and like pigs rolling in their own poo poo joyously.

Yeah you start cutting people off. Start building new social circles. But certain connections are harder to sever and then once in a while theyll post some fox news garbage they got from one of their contacts and the finger starts to hover over the de friend button

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Katt posted:

It's more 'democratic' in local elections.

It's never been a democracy beyond that, but I don't think anyone suggested it had been. They did have at least a semblance of one-party rule instead of one-person rule, but abolishing term limits puts them squarely in Mao territory.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Does Trump have another plausible reason for hating McCabe---even just something to give this situation an ounce of legitimacy for the Fox crowd---because right now it just looks like he's afraid of the FBI?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

People secretly want a dictator right up until they actually get a dictator?

It's the same thing about kings, as long as that dictator has your same belief system or you perceive it as such, they're fine with it. If Trump decided tomorrow that, after some soul-searching, has converted to Islam and has begun transitioning to become a woman, and was willing to use the military to disarm the population and redistribute the wealth, you'd see his base come around to thinking they've elected the Anti-Christ.

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's more 'democratic' in local elections.

It's never been a democracy beyond that, but I don't think anyone suggested it had been. They did have at least a semblance of one-party rule instead of one-person rule, but abolishing term limits puts them squarely in Mao territory.

At least with one-party rule, you still have factions vying for power.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

You can tell he's a lawyer because he clearly wrote that in a word processor and copy pasted it into the tweet box, hence the weird use of line breaks. Lawyers loving love manual line breaks.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Does Trump have another plausible reason for hating McCabe---even just something to give this situation an ounce of legitimacy for the Fox crowd---because right now it just looks like he's afraid of the FBI?

His wife is a Democrat.

No, this isnt a joke.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Young Freud posted:

It's the same thing about kings, as long as that dictator has your same belief system or you perceive it as such, they're fine with it. If Trump decided tomorrow that, after some soul-searching, has converted to Islam and has begun transitioning to become a woman, and was willing to use the military to disarm the population and redistribute the wealth, you'd see his base come around to thinking they've elected the Anti-Christ.

At least with one-party rule, you still have factions vying for power.

No they wouldn't. They would cut their penises off themselves on video while kissing a Quron. Their a cult, if he told them to believe the opposite of everything they think now, they'd follow.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

There was some shifty stuff going on with his wife and her Senate run. She got a big donation from a PAC associated with friends of the Clintons while at the same time her husband was investigating the Clinton email server. There are maybe two or three degrees of separation here, but it's close enough that McCabe shouldn't have been involved in the FBI investigation.

Trump probably believes the $500k political contribution influenced the Clinton email results. So you've got FBI (hates), Clinton (hates even more), and a wife who was almost more successful than her husband (hates the most).

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Rinkles posted:

McCabe's wife is a democrat. And he would have authorized Comey's return flight after his firing if he had to make the call. And he didn't tell Trump who he voted for. So he's got lots of absolutely totally legit reasons to hate the guy.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stickman posted:

Feeding whipped cream to a dog is probably not the best, but what did the dog do?

Strongman (and wannabe strongman) politicians actually got elected worldwide, and the leopards are finally starting to gnaw on people's faces. Also, Trump is a total loving moron.
I know you know who I was referring to, but my last experience of Dog + Whipped cream ended with my dog (the german Shepherd I shared a few pages ago) throwing up all over my shoes. So yeah, I'd rather not feed my dog stuff that might make him ill.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Covok posted:

No they wouldn't. They would cut their penises off themselves on video while kissing a Quron. Their a cult, if he told them to believe the opposite of everything they think now, they'd follow.

It's not so much if a cult, but rather it's important for them to have made the right choice. You can see that in pretty much everything they do/say.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Covok posted:

You must have forgotten when Trump floated the idea of gun control after Parkland and half of thedonald and the NRA freaked the gently caress out.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

There was some shifty stuff going on with his wife and her Senate run. She got a big donation from a PAC associated with friends of the Clintons while at the same time her husband was investigating the Clinton email server. There are maybe two or three degrees of separation here, but it's close enough that McCabe shouldn't have been involved in the FBI investigation.
nah
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/949834366133456896.html

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Teddybear posted:

You can tell he's a lawyer because he clearly wrote that in a word processor and copy pasted it into the tweet box, hence the weird use of line breaks. Lawyers loving love manual line breaks.

so does
everyone
who uses
slack
:+1:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

PhazonLink posted:

It's nice that news orgs use the worst pics of him.

Like even Fox News can barely get an okay pic of him.
Those are the most flattering pics, though. He’s that special case where someone really is as ugly on the outside as they are on the inside.

Damn Your Eyes!
Jun 24, 2006
I hate you one and all!

I know we all love explanations that blame dumb Republicans, but to me it seems like the most likely explanation for the peak in "the president should not have to worry about congress" in 2011 (aside from bad study methodology) is that the left was sick of everything Obama did being blocked by Congress. 2011 Republicans absolutely did not want a more powerful president.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 18, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Data Graham posted:

so does
everyone
who uses
slack
:+1:

I do this because in my mind Slack = (A)IM and so the manner of communication is more conversational where you say what’s on your mind as it comes to you and not in some long effort post with sentences and punctuation.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Aramis posted:

It's not so much if a cult, but rather it's important for them to have made the right choice. You can see that in pretty much everything they do/say.
You are literally describing one of the main things that keeps people in a cult after they start getting shown the obvious red flags. People hate admitting they're that wrong about something that important, so they double down rather than face it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

AmiYumi posted:

Those are the most flattering pics, though. He’s that special case where someone really is as ugly on the outside as they are on the inside.

Yeah, he's the Carlos II of Spain of American presidents, where even the best pictures of him still can't hide that he's got some major problems going on.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/975488992542998528?s=20

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Well poo poo.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Krispy Wafer posted:

Trump probably believes the $500k political contribution influenced the Clinton email results. So you've got FBI (hates), Clinton (hates even more), and a wife who was almost more successful than her husband (hates the most).

That's a lie and a half-truth combined.

The lie: McCabe wasn't involved in the Clinton investigation until he was promoted into supervising it months after his wife's campaign had ended.

The half-truth: McCabe's wife ran for the Virginia State Senate, and was given money by Clinton friend Terry MacAuliffe, who also was governor of Virginia at the time, so he was responsible for fundraising for Virginia Democrats. She wasn't just given money by friends of the Clintons because friends of the Clintons were looking out for Hillary and wanted to influence her, as is heavily implied by your phrasing.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I don’t think Trump honestly sees the two as separate.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Young Freud posted:

You must have forgotten when Trump floated the idea of gun control after Parkland and half of thedonald and the NRA freaked the gently caress out.

They came home.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AmiYumi posted:

He has also never been much for exercise or any sort of self-care. Like, when Oprah interviewed him like 30 years ago, he looked "okayish" for a 42-year-old, and it was probably due to all the pericazos that he took. He now looks at least +10 years older than he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

Marenghi posted:

You forgot the 96 election. Where an unpopular Yeltsin looked set to lose to the Communist Party so the US got him a 10 billion loan through the IMF which helped him to buy the election.

Its hard to blame them for USA election meddling thru facebook in comparison

• Locked thread