Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

:D Seriously! Listen to some old jazz drumming like Max Roach. Take a little section and write a guitar riff or whatever based on his rhythms. It’s a crazy hard exercise that can open up some very musical ways to approach the guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Kilometers Davis posted:

Take a week off and do non guitar stuff and then come back. If you’re at all like me sometimes you get so absorbed by frustrations that you get stuck and can’t move forward until you reset and come back.

I've already taken a five or so day "break" due to of influenza, after which I had a couple of days of just halfassing it because I was still recovering. I don't want to fall behind.

Kilometers Davis posted:

But yes, keep practicing. Use youtube, it’s amazing. Instructors are fine but you can get anywhere alone with the internet.

Sure. I've really only been looking at Justin Guitar's poo poo because out of the seventy billion guitar videos on YouTube I don't really know which ones are good for struggling beginners. Do you have any recommendations?

Kilometers Davis posted:

You could always post a clip here and we’ll try to help.

I'll see what I can do. What should I do in it? What kind of things are you looking for in these videos?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You loving dork. A day off won't kill you. A week off wont even put a dent into what you've learned already. Take time off and suck it up.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

I've been at the same place for a couple of weeks now.

From what I've experienced, progress isn't measured in weeks.

Try months.

Or years.

Or maybe I'm terrible at guitar. I'm pretty sure that's it.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Progress is measured in breadth, not depth. Try something new you haven't yet.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

My two cents: Learning theory is good and will help you branch out and try new things, or help you understand other people's work better.

But don't do what I did and neglect practice because you're learning theory. Up shot, I know all about modes, intervals, building chords, etc. Downside is I'm coming up on six years of playing and I am not nearly as technically proficient as I'd like.

So yeah, don't neglect theory, but definitely do not neglect actual practice. It's only been in the last year I'm been doing technical exercises to get faster and more accurate.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I just realized I never made my split post stringing video, sorry dudes. I’ll get to that I swear.

Mak0rz posted:

I've already taken a five or so day "break" due to of influenza, after which I had a couple of days of just halfassing it because I was still recovering. I don't want to fall behind.

Sure. I've really only been looking at Justin Guitar's poo poo because out of the seventy billion guitar videos on YouTube I don't really know which ones are good for struggling beginners. Do you have any recommendations?
It’s

I'll see what I can do. What should I do in it? What kind of things are you looking for in these videos?

You can take years off of guitar and get your skill and feel back easily. It’s a very easily retained skill. Don’t worry!

Beginner YouTube channels. Hmm. It’s funny because this is actually stumping me since I’m not sure what level you’re at. Justin is a wonderful one for anyone so stick with him for sure. Look up Ben Eller’s channel and watch some of his guides related to things you’d like to work on and see if that’s at a level you can follow. It’s a deeper end of the guitar learning experience but I’ve personally never been a fan of linear learning with music. Learning bits and pieces and then practicing the ability to weave it all together is satisfying. If his videos don’t work out, come back and mention what was difficult to grasp and I or someone else can toss you other channels.

Really I think Justin guitar basics + a grab bag of harder random technique and riff videos would serve you quite well for a long time.

Early internet days I just watched infinitely harder than I could play videos and tried my best to get anything out of them. Pay very close attention to the players hands, how much movement they use, the way they pick. While there are definitely “right” ways to play, most of the big players have very idiosyncratic playing styles. Marty Friedman has a horrifying bizarre right hand technique but plays better than I ever will. The main thing to avoid is pain. If something you’re doing on guitar hurts, stop and find a different way. Playing should feel natural and easy with the only discomfort being callus building and such.

If you’re struggling with a certain chord or technique, record that and I’m sure we can figure out something to help you along.

e: what kind of music do you want to play?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yeah I agree with Davis, (gently caress we don't we have @mention'ing here?) - JustinGuitar will get you all the basic fundamental skills you'll need to know and even then it can branch out into genre-music should you wish.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

With the one minute changes, try doing it without keeping count. Just turn the timer on and do the changes as smoothly as possible without worrying about a number. Keeping count adds an extra stress factor and most likely the problem is in your head. "Why am I not getting better?" You ask, putting the suggestion in your mind that you're stuck, and in so doing making yourself stuck. Try doing the work without measuring it. The work will do what it's supposed to do.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Oh, and use Justin's stuff but use it on his website with the course outline as laid out. Don't view on YouTube.com, you miss the context and order that way.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

A bit late but to add to the comments regarding not to worry about taking a break for a while; its worth to taking a break. Not just in terms of theory or song writing where you hit a creative block and need a break to get over that block, but even for practicing technique. I used to book days off work so I'd get long weekends and spent those entire weekends practicing passages or techniques I was struggling with (If you don't need an amp on just watch a film while doing this to avoid getting bored/get round to those films you've been meaning to watch but didn't have time to). This not the best idea because sometimes by the end of the long weekend I'd be a) frustrated because I didn't feel as though I'd progressed much, if at all and b) on a few occasions I came close to causing injury to my fretting hand. I found after putting the guitar down for a few days when I returned there'd be a noticeable improvement in my playing, just by taking that rest.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid?source=3TP5DNB&mscr=2103348_88921

Anyone looking for a 7 string? That’s a super good deal.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Oh...❤️

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
My guitar buying habits probably belong in the SMS thread, but eh... Just missed out on buying an SG Special in polaris white by like thirty minutes and I'm deeply depressed. Massive fan of the 61 Special and that's the best colour; short maestro trem optional but preferable.

On the other hand I now have a bunch of budget to spend on something else! Second bit of good news is that the management of the group I'm currently playing for are talking to Hiwatt and Victory about endorsement deals, so I'm gonna get to try out a bunch of sick amps real soon.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

I am both sad and glad that I did not see this post yesterday.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
So I got my guitar back from the setup.

Wow what a difference. The string tension is much lower somehow, so it’s quieter by itself and easier to play. Perfect, that’s exactly why I wanted an electric.

And now I have somewhere I can halfway trust for repairs. I’m gonna take my old bowing acoustic there to get it some TLC.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Now learn to do your own setups and realize your true power :drac:

////////

Is there like, a Buckethead cheat out around for his go to chords and scales and intervals and whatnot? Mostly looking for his Colma + Electric Tears sound. It’s very similar to some stuff I’m writing now and I want to expand my influences a little. I know I could just look up tabs and/or use my ear but I’m a loving guitarist not some kind of real musician who actually listens :argh:

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

I feel like guitar-tech knowledge is some kind of monkeypaw-poo poo.

Sure, you don't have to pay for setups but OTOH you're the designated guy for everyone's guitar-problems.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Pondex posted:

I feel like guitar-tech knowledge is some kind of monkeypaw-poo poo.

Sure, you don't have to pay for setups but OTOH you're the designated guy for everyone's guitar-problems.

As a software developer, the secret is to never let anyone else know you know anything about computers / guitars.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Or take my route, no friends!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

////////

Is there like, a Buckethead cheat out around for his go to chords and scales and intervals and whatnot? Mostly looking for his Colma + Electric Tears sound. It’s very similar to some stuff I’m writing now and I want to expand my influences a little. I know I could just look up tabs and/or use my ear but I’m a loving guitarist not some kind of real musician who actually listens :argh:

I've tried messing around with some Buckethead stuff for funsies (I'm like Level 1 and he's Level 500 in terms of skill difference) and I physically can't do some of what he does. His fingers are so freakishly long that he can do chords and changes that I can barely stretch to reach.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I dont know much about pickups, just that the ones that came stock in my fender blacktop jazzmaster are shite. The actual JM style pickups are fine (although the benift from a hi cut) but the bridge is crap.

I want something big and snappy sounding, but not so high output as to be obnoxious. Suggestions?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Was browsing the G&L site today. They make a tribute (budget) version of the Doheny now. Neat.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Well, this kept popping up on our local for sale ads, so threw an offer and looks like it's heading my way now. Let's see who can guess brand and model! Been wanting P90s and been wanting a (semi-) hollowbody, so this covers it all.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 17, 2018

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Well, this kept popping up on our local for sale ads, so threw an offer and looks like it's heading my way now. Let's see who can guess brand and model! Been wanting P90s and been wanting a (semi-) hollowbody, so this covers it all.

Looks sweet. I think that’s a Yamaha but I forget the model number. Yamaha is one of those sleeper brands that really deliver for reasonable prices.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Clayton Bigsby posted:

AEX502. I had the 500 and it was my favourite guitar to play but couldn't get a satisfactory sound out of either the mega bright piezo or the (also mega bright) magnetics. Who builds a jazz guitar without a tone control? Beautiful feeling though.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

darkwasthenight posted:

AEX502. I had the 500 and it was my favourite guitar to play but couldn't get a satisfactory sound out of either the mega bright piezo or the (also mega bright) magnetics. Who builds a jazz guitar without a tone control? Beautiful feeling though.

It’s not that uncommon but usually a carved top with a floating neck pickup. Odd to have a semi without a tone control.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

You guys are fast. AEX 502 it is. They seem relatively unusual, and the few vids I've found have them sounding pretty nice. Also, my experience is that Yamaha rarely makes a poor instrument, so despite its fairly low price it ought to be a nice player. Previous owner had fret leveling done just before selling it too.

Reading up on them I'm kind of curious about the various 500N* models with nylon strings and piezo pickup. Been eyeing some sort of thin-ish nylon acoustic/electric.

Lots of good info here: https://yamahamusicians.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9477

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Anyone here played a Gibson LP Traditional? Someone flogging a goldtop with OX4s and I'm really tempted...

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I was revisiting the "search Reverb for your birth year" game we were playing a few months back and stumbled on the Gibson Sonex, a prime example of Norlin-era Gibson's unsuccessful attempts to expand their line. I'm weirdly intrigued; I kinda dig the janky late-70s look and since nobody likes them a decent example is actually affordable. Anybody ever played one?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Anime Reference posted:

I was revisiting the "search Reverb for your birth year" game we were playing a few months back and stumbled on the Gibson Sonex, a prime example of Norlin-era Gibson's unsuccessful attempts to expand their line. I'm weirdly intrigued; I kinda dig the janky late-70s look and since nobody likes them a decent example is actually affordable. Anybody ever played one?

Yep because what an LP needs is to be a covered in thick globs of multi-phonal resin - jesus. OTOH looks pretty rad, I'm a huge fan of that oxblood colour.

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
Looks cool. Hopefully the resin doesn't mean it weighs a tonne.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Someone did a bad job replacing the tuners

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Someone did a bad job replacing the tuners
It's pristine compared to some of the others I saw.

I suppose if you want unloved vintage guitar prices you also have to put up with unloved vintage guitar repair jobs.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

What kind of overdrive works with a Marshall? I feel like I should know this by now. I have a klon-style pedal and it's ok, but thinking I'd like to investigate. My favourite sound is with the Klon gain/tone down and level up.

Maybe some kind of boost with an EQ? I have no idea but don't want a distortion pedal - want to rely on the amp as much as possible.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 19, 2018

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Okay I decided to listen to everyone and just take a break for a week. I've been coming home from work exhausted and irritable all last week anyway, which wouldn't have been helpful.

Eccles posted:

From what I've experienced, progress isn't measured in weeks.

Try months.

Or years.

Or maybe I'm terrible at guitar. I'm pretty sure that's it.

Yeah, I know that. At the time I was just getting kind of frustrated because I've been practicing daily for a couple of months and feeling like I wasn't getting anywhere beyond the first few weeks where I felt a notable huge improvement. I was under the impression (based on poo poo I've been reading online and whatnot) that I'd be able to play maybe a song or two by now. Maybe I was mistaken?

I've been told by pretty much everyone in my life that I'm way too self-critical so chances are that's the biggest problem here :(

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Progress is measured in breadth, not depth. Try something new you haven't yet.

I never thought of it that way. What's "new" though? A new chord or strum pattern? Or would that be considered too similar to what I'm already doing?

syntaxfunction posted:

My two cents: Learning theory is good and will help you branch out and try new things, or help you understand other people's work better.

But don't do what I did and neglect practice because you're learning theory. Up shot, I know all about modes, intervals, building chords, etc. Downside is I'm coming up on six years of playing and I am not nearly as technically proficient as I'd like.

So yeah, don't neglect theory, but definitely do not neglect actual practice. It's only been in the last year I'm been doing technical exercises to get faster and more accurate.

What kind of theory should I be doing in the interim then? What are some good resources for that kind of stuff?

Kilometers Davis posted:

Beginner YouTube channels. Hmm. It’s funny because this is actually stumping me since I’m not sure what level you’re at. Justin is a wonderful one for anyone so stick with him for sure. Look up Ben Eller’s channel and watch some of his guides related to things you’d like to work on and see if that’s at a level you can follow. It’s a deeper end of the guitar learning experience but I’ve personally never been a fan of linear learning with music... If his videos don’t work out, come back and mention what was difficult to grasp and I or someone else can toss you other channels.

Really I think Justin guitar basics + a grab bag of harder random technique and riff videos would serve you quite well for a long time.

Thanks for the video recommendation.

I don't know how to quantify what level I'm at. I've been practicing for just over two months. I know A, D, E, their respective minors, G, and C. I can switch between them between 25 and 40 times per second, depending on the combination. I've gotten a grasp of strumming in-time, but doing chord changes along with that is still kind of a struggle.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Learning bits and pieces and then practicing the ability to weave it all together is satisfying.

So how exactly do I do something like that? Or is that Eller's method? It isn't clear in your post if he does things this way or not.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Playing should feel natural and easy with the only discomfort being callus building and such.

If you’re struggling with a certain chord or technique, record that and I’m sure we can figure out something to help you along.

Yeah it definitely doesn't really feel natural or comfortable. My fretting hand and strumming arm tend to cramp after a short while. Posture is also difficult because I can't really find a comfortable way to sit and play. I'm very tall and we have a small apartment that already has enough furniture.

This is probably why I always feel practice goes better after I've had a couple of beers. I'd rather... not depend on booze, though.

Kilometers Davis posted:

e: what kind of music do you want to play?

I'm not entirely sure if I even know. Most of what I listen to nowadays is classic rock kinda stuff. A lot of Floyd and (early) Sabbath. I'd like to play stuff like that.

I tend to enjoy things that have a blusey kind of sound, but straight-up blues isn't necessarily my thing, if that makes any sense. I'm glad I didn't pick up the guitar ten years ago during my Dream Theater phase, at least :v:

Hellblazer187 posted:

With the one minute changes, try doing it without keeping count. Just turn the timer on and do the changes as smoothly as possible without worrying about a number. Keeping count adds an extra stress factor and most likely the problem is in your head. "Why am I not getting better?" You ask, putting the suggestion in your mind that you're stuck, and in so doing making yourself stuck. Try doing the work without measuring it. The work will do what it's supposed to do.

(. . .)

Oh, and use Justin's stuff but use it on his website with the course outline as laid out. Don't view on YouTube.com, you miss the context and order that way.

Yeah, maybe I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself here. I'll stop keeping count for a little while and just focus on doing practice without any of the self-evaluation.

I usually use the Justin Guitar app for his videos. If I want any extra stuff I go to his website and take a look there.

Thanks for your patience everyone.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Southern Heel posted:

What kind of overdrive works with a Marshall? I feel like I should know this by now. I have a klon-style pedal and it's ok, but thinking I'd like to investigate. My favourite sound is with the Klon gain/tone down and level up.

Maybe some kind of boost with an EQ? I have no idea but don't want a distortion pedal - want to rely on the amp as much as possible.

Pretty much you've discovered the "clean boost" setting of a tube screamer, which everyone uses out front of a decent amp. I hear the old slayer tone is a 10band eq with the mids all the way up, a pro co rat, and an accidentally beastly jcm800 that had everything right go wrong for it.

I use a tube screamer into a bogner uberschall pedal for some pretty beefy but articulate vintage high gain action on my JCM800 at cop friendly volumes (high preamp, low master vol), but the best way is to get an attenuator so you can pump up the master volume to get both preamp and power amp distortion without disturbing the peace.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I don't qualify myself as able to comment for everyone else so I'll respond to my bit in particular.

Mak0rz posted:

What kind of theory should I be doing in the interim then? What are some good resources for that kind of stuff?

I honestly think, and recommend, that intervals should be the starting point of theory. Which the kind of are anyway. I personally found it detrimental to think of the box shapes for pentatonics for example, because I had to memorise a shape instead of actually knowing what I was playing. I think the mentality of rote memorisation of shapes and stuff is detrimental to a developing player, but I may be alone in that.

My theory is that when you learn your intervals you stop thinking "Oh, what's the next section of the box?" and you move more freely, because there's notes all along the neck up and down. It also lets you know why the pentatonic box sounds good (it's the minor scale with no m6 or 2).

It also gives you a foundation to find and build chords yourself. Yeah, it's easy to learn a BminAdd9 chord from a chord book but being able to identify the 9 in that chord let's you go "oh hey, I can move this note here and this one here and get a BAdd11" or whatever.

But constructing chords and stuff doesn't need to be rushed into. The plan I usually set out for the few people I've played with (I play with a lot of beginners and that's cool) is learn your intervals and your Major and Minor scales. Combined with "cowboy chords" and barre chords it gives you a lot, and I mean a lot, of options.

A good portion of popular (and unpopular!) music is made using that combination, it's fairly easy to grasp but sounds great and gives you a lot of options. It's also fun when you learn some AC/DC lick or something and go "hey I know this pattern!"

Also if you can play power chords then you have a safety net. Find your tonic (main root note/key) and play a power chord. The lowest note is your root, the first note up is your fifth (which is handily in the middle of the chromatic scale!) and the next one is your octave. All safe places you can rely on.

Okay so that's a lot of fluff but my advice is to learn the following (in kinda order):
- Open chords
- Intervals
- Major and Minor Scales
- Barre chords

I wouldn't worry about modes or complex time signatures or anything to start with. Honestly if you can keep a groove with open chords and you know how to noodle a bit around your safe spots (once you know/are told the key) then you're pretty much ready to jam both rhythm and lead in my books.

Sorry about the rambling, if you want any clarification then I'd be happy to offer. This post is a bit of a mess haha.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Learn how to play new music that you don't normally listen to. Explore flamenco guitar techniques, drop tunings, weird time signatures, exotic scales, and then try your hand at getting a really good handle on the forms of the 12 bar blues and rhythm changes. Learn physical intervals on your strings. Do you know the intervals for your major and minor 3rds? What about where your perfect 5th is? Can you go down in pitch as well as up when navigating by interval?

Also consider trying to understand modes, and what the circle of fourths is. Then play modes IN the circle of fourths, to help you learn the names of the notes instead of just tab numbers.

Notice that each thing by itself is its own wealth of knowledge and you have many, MANY different things to master and explore for your sound and style. Don't feel intimidated by the vastness of the knowledge. Simply find something you do not know, and then learn it. Mastery is gradual, and can be forgotten with time, but if you expose yourself to many different things you'll be a more well rounded musician, and eventually there will be very little that you haven't tried or could wing, which is really the ultimate goal in my opinion; to be able to approach any social group of musicians and be able to spontaneously create music, either improvised or within well known forms. Try to understand how chord progressions work. Understand what different flavors of modes go over different chords, and why dominant chords have so many different good sounds that can be played over them (it's because ugly tension noise is really satisfying to resolve to the tonic chord afterwards).

What you SHOULDN'T do is focus on music that 'you like' and refuse to try to learn about other things. Transitioning from someone who has never played to a guitarist is a long, difficult road, and transitioning from a guitarist to a musician is 5 times that endeavor. Don't feel rushed, and listen to music. If you hear something that you like, discover why it is pleasing and how you can recreate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Mind you, you can spend literally the first year alone just learning about and becoming familiar with intervals, how to give labels to sounds that your ear is already used to hearing and you just don't know what they're called, understanding the order of the notes and how these shapes are put together. Google chord progressions for songs you like and then sit down and figure out how to play them.