Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

For those of you that don't get the Newsletter Vinegar Syndrome has started shipping the March preorders, and April's releases are now up for preorder.

Terror looks incredible. I might like VS just as much for their collections of screenshots I can use as wallpapers than the releases themselves.

Also, Liquid Sky is now in stock as a standard edition without the slipcase.
https://vinegarsyndrome.com/shop/liquid-sky/

edit: Checking on Letterboxd, apparently I've seen Terror at a movie marathon. I don't remember a thing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Terror looks incredible. I might like VS just as much for their collections of screenshots I can use as wallpapers than the releases themselves.

It really is a great feature on their site.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Had a great find today. Used Dr. Strangelove media book for $5.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
How are the extras and commentaries in the marvel studios blu rays? I haven’t seen all of the movies and am entertaining the idea of slowly working my way through them once I get a 4K player.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

How are the extras and commentaries in the marvel studios blu rays? I haven’t seen all of the movies and am entertaining the idea of slowly working my way through them once I get a 4K player.

I really enjoy the bonus features on the Blu-rays. The commentaries are great, they all have gag reels, and they have a couple of behind the scenes features. They are very consistently high quality.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So my old BR player stopped working properly (like it still powers up and the disc drive works but it just shows a black screen, so something was wrong with the HDMI part and I tried switching cables and ports) and I upgraded to a Multi-Region player. Recommendations for good non-Region-A discs? (I haven't tested that yet but at the very least it works with non-Region-1 DVDs.)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My top ones so far:

Napoleon (BFI) - Incredible 2K restoration of the 5 1/2 hr. cut with Carl Davis' orchestral score in 7.1. Also has a great commentary, feature-length documentary on Abel Gance, and a booklet on the film. Also has the option to view the ending in 3-panel 4:1 widescreen, 4x3 single panel (Gance created a regular version for theaters unable to play the triptych), or each panel individually.

Zardoz (Arrow) - US edition is OOP from Twilight Time. This has more extras, same 4K restoration.

The Lady from Shanghai (Indicator) - Region free, but better quality than the TCM Archives or Mill Creek discs, plus lots of extras.

The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T (Indicator) - Region free, but way better encoding than Mill Creek, plus lots of extras.

Forbidden Zone (Arrow) - Region free, but I think the US edition is OOP.
Metropolis (MoC) - Same encode, but has a great commentary by David Kalat not on the US Kino edition.

Chaplin Mutual Comedies (BFI) - Better encodes than US Flicker Alley edition, plus additional scores, commentaries, and cheaper than the US version.

I don't have them yet, but StudioCanal UK put out Blu sets for a lot of films long OOP from Criterion:

Melville - Le Doulos, Bob le Flambeur, Leon Morin: Priest, Army of Shadows, Le Cercle Rouge, Un Flic
Godard - A Woman is a Woman, Contempt, Breathless, Pierrot le Fou, and Alphaville (only Breathless is in print)
Bunuel - Diary of a Chambermaid, Belle de Jour, Tristana, The Milky Way, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, The Phantom of Liberty, and That Obscure Object of Desire (only Tristana and Belle de Jour are in print from Cohen and Criterion, respectively)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Egbert Souse posted:

Forbidden Zone (Arrow) - Region free, but I think the US edition is OOP.

MVD put out a pretty decent release a couple years ago that comes with a CD of the soundtrack.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

So my old BR player stopped working properly (like it still powers up and the disc drive works but it just shows a black screen, so something was wrong with the HDMI part and I tried switching cables and ports) and I upgraded to a Multi-Region player. Recommendations for good non-Region-A discs? (I haven't tested that yet but at the very least it works with non-Region-1 DVDs.)

- Napoleon is indeed extremely awesome, seconding that.
- Region B is pretty lousy with great silents anyway; that’s where the definitive editions of Man With A Movie Camera (a movie I had to watch probably six different times in film school and always hated, but absolutely love with the score), Wings, Intolerance, Sunrise, all kinds of great stuff.
- It feels like Japanese film is Region B’s other big strong suit - there’s The Human Condition, the Imamura collection, a bunch of Ozus only out on blu over there, on and on. Even weird poo poo like Suzuki’s Taisho films or Yoshida’s Love + Anarchy are big news.
- There are two really good UK box sets revolving around recent-ish Buster Keaton restorations - one collecting all his short films, and one collecting his three best-known features (The General, Steamboat Bill, and the masterpiece Sherlock Jr). Both are incredible if you’re into restorations of silents because the image quality is unbelievable, but if you can only get one go with the shorts comp which may have made me laugh harder than any other release I own.
- If you’re a Tarkovsky fan, everything he ever made is out on blu in B; all of them are alleged to be perfectly cromulent releases aside from one that I *think* is Nostalghia. Criterion is supposed to put these out at some point though.
- Gaspar Noe’s stuff is all available in Region B (via Australia, oddly), including by FAR the best movie Noe ever made, I Stand Alone.
- If you like more theatrical/less cinematic stuff, the BFI put out a collection of Alan Clarke’s films a few years ago which is unreasonably great. I bought it blind off the recommendation of basically everyone with a Criterionforum account and it’s been a goldmine; there’s just so much great stuff. It contains literally everything he did at the BBC, which is everything he did worth owning aside from Made In Britain.
- I love Michael Haneke’s movies unreservedly (even though he sounds like an rear end in a top hat when he talks about #MeToo) so I bought the poo poo out of the French collection of all of his movies. A few don’t have English subs, but 100% of those are available on blu in other regions.
- Speaking of French blus, most of the Region B discs you buy will probably come from England but France will have good stuff every so often; I believe the only place to get the Douglas Sirk blus is via France (although they’re region free), and I have a couple of French blus by the Archers as well. My go-to for researching other regions’ offerings is dvdbeaver.com; they cover pretty much everything.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

The big thing I noticed was that if something was a limited release in the US, like through Twilight Time, there is often a region B alternative typically through Arrow or Indicator.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Buster Keaton Shorts collection is mostly identical between MoC and Kino (the one with the Arbuckle films), but... MoC includes a 200 page book, while I think Kino only included a small booklet. There's still a few flaws like having a worse print of Cops than the older Blu set, but the ones in rough shape on the original set all look miles better on the newer one. The triple feature is a huge improvement - Kino lost the rights to the Keaton features since Cohen distributes themselves in the US, but licenses to MoC and Arrow in the UK. They're going to start putting out the new 4K restorations eventually.

Also, do keep in mind a US edition of Napoleon will be coming eventually. A new 4K restoration has been underway as a project between American Zoetrope, Robert Harris, and the Cinemateque Francais. It'll be roadshowed with Carmine Coppola's score. Very likely that Criterion will handle the release.

As for silents, here's what I can find:

Nosferatu: MoC is best. BFI has one from a much worse print, but with a different score. Kino has bad encoding and less extras.
Man with a Movie Camera/Dziga Vertov films: MoC is best. US Flicker Alley and French Lobster Films are overcompressed with 5 1/2 hours of video on one BD-50. MoC spread out the same content and added some stuff across two BD-50s, plus added a book.
The Last Laugh: Kino is best. Same master/encode, but Kino adds an extra score and commentary over MoC's edition in their Early Murnau set.
Metropolis: Same master, but MoC has a great commentary not on Kino's edition
Faust: Same, except MoC upscaled the export version to 1080p instead of include a DVD like Kino
Spies: Kino is slightly squeezed, MoC is correct. Kino corrected it for the Fritz Lang silents set, though.
Woman in the Moon: Same.
Die Nibelungen: Same master, but has large booklet.
Intolerance: Identical to US Cohen, but US edition is OOP.
The Thief of Bagdad: Identical to US Cohen, but Cohen's is OOP.
Sunrise: Identical to US Fox release
Wings: Identical to US Paramount release
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: Kino is best, with extra score and commentary.
Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler: Same as Kino
Diary of a Lost Girl: Same master, but with exclusive video essay by David Cairns.
Lubitsch in Berlin: MoC best. No US equivalent!
The Last Command: MoC best. No US equivalent, but Criterion released it on DVD (now OOP). Includes different score than Criterion.
The Birth of a Nation: BFI best. New 2K restoration from an original tinted print and original camera negative, plus a disc of extras. MoC and Kino use older master. Twilight Time is releasing same master for the US.
Tabu: MoC and Kino seem to be identical except for a commentary on MoC.

Also...

Fear and Desire: Includes Kubrick's short films Day of the Fight and Flying Padre, plus a video essay, not on Kino.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So is this the ersatz 4k thread? They aren't technically blue rays, but I don't see another thread.

I'm losing one of the TV setups in the divorce, so I figured I might as well replace it with a 4k system. An amazon search shows a couple dozen 4k disks I'd like... but I don't know a lot about 4k, overall.

1. I assume a 4k player/TV plays 1080p just fine?
2. Is there a lot of broadcast TV in 4k, yet?
3. Does Netflix or Amazon Prime do 4k, yet?

GORDON fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 19, 2018

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

GORDON posted:

3. Does Netflix of Amazon Prime do 4k, yet?

1. Yes.
2. Lol, no.
3. Yes, if you consider streaming 4k to be 4k (its low bitrate with banding, macroblocking, and is generally less attractive than a 1080p Blu)

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

GORDON posted:

So is this the ersatz 4k thread? They aren't technically blue rays, but I don't see another thread.

I'm losing one of the TV setups in the divorce, so I figured I might as well replace it with a 4k system. An amazon search shows a couple dozen 4k disks I'd like... but I don't know a lot about 4k, overall.

3. Does Netflix or Amazon Prime do 4k, yet?

Here’s a good website if you’re looking for advice on what TV to look for
https://www.rtings.com/tv

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Watching the Synapse release of Suspiria right now. Still not a big fan of the movie but I gotta say it’s the most amazing restoration I’ve ever seen. The colors are LUSCIOUS.

Edit: the hallways with the red velvet just look insanely unreal.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 19, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno about Netflix or Amazon, but iTunes 4k streams acceptably enough for my eyes if I don't feel like splurging on a disk.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Steve Yun posted:

Watching the Synapse release of Suspiria right now. Still not a big fan of the movie but I gotta say it’s the most amazing restoration I’ve ever seen. The colors are LUSCIOUS.

Edit: the hallways with the red velvet just look insanely unreal.

Yeah I had to talk myself into spending like $60 or whatever on the steelbook but I knew I had to see it for myself.

It’s a shame they didn’t release a UHD of it, as someone else put a 4K disc out.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I had to talk myself into spending like $60 or whatever on the steelbook but I knew I had to see it for myself.

It’s a shame they didn’t release a UHD of it, as someone else put a 4K disc out.

DVD Beaver has just put out another review of yet another restored print. I haven't seen this many editions of a film in ages, and they're all different with regards to special features and print quality. It's insane, considering it's not in public domain.

Egbert Souse posted:

The Buster Keaton Shorts collection is mostly identical between MoC and Kino (the one with the Arbuckle films), but... MoC includes a 200 page book, while I think Kino only included a small booklet. There's still a few flaws like having a worse print of Cops than the older Blu set, but the ones in rough shape on the original set all look miles better on the newer one. The triple feature is a huge improvement - Kino lost the rights to the Keaton features since Cohen distributes themselves in the US, but licenses to MoC and Arrow in the UK. They're going to start putting out the new 4K restorations eventually.

Also, do keep in mind a US edition of Napoleon will be coming eventually. A new 4K restoration has been underway as a project between American Zoetrope, Robert Harris, and the Cinemateque Francais. It'll be roadshowed with Carmine Coppola's score. Very likely that Criterion will handle the release.

As for silents, here's what I can find:

Nosferatu: MoC is best. BFI has one from a much worse print, but with a different score. Kino has bad encoding and less extras.
Man with a Movie Camera/Dziga Vertov films: MoC is best. US Flicker Alley and French Lobster Films are overcompressed with 5 1/2 hours of video on one BD-50. MoC spread out the same content and added some stuff across two BD-50s, plus added a book.
The Last Laugh: Kino is best. Same master/encode, but Kino adds an extra score and commentary over MoC's edition in their Early Murnau set.
Metropolis: Same master, but MoC has a great commentary not on Kino's edition
Faust: Same, except MoC upscaled the export version to 1080p instead of include a DVD like Kino
Spies: Kino is slightly squeezed, MoC is correct. Kino corrected it for the Fritz Lang silents set, though.
Woman in the Moon: Same.
Die Nibelungen: Same master, but has large booklet.
Intolerance: Identical to US Cohen, but US edition is OOP.
The Thief of Bagdad: Identical to US Cohen, but Cohen's is OOP.
Sunrise: Identical to US Fox release
Wings: Identical to US Paramount release
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: Kino is best, with extra score and commentary.
Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler: Same as Kino
Diary of a Lost Girl: Same master, but with exclusive video essay by David Cairns.
Lubitsch in Berlin: MoC best. No US equivalent!
The Last Command: MoC best. No US equivalent, but Criterion released it on DVD (now OOP). Includes different score than Criterion.
The Birth of a Nation: BFI best. New 2K restoration from an original tinted print and original camera negative, plus a disc of extras. MoC and Kino use older master. Twilight Time is releasing same master for the US.
Tabu: MoC and Kino seem to be identical except for a commentary on MoC.

Also...

Fear and Desire: Includes Kubrick's short films Day of the Fight and Flying Padre, plus a video essay, not on Kino.

you're doing god's work

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The image is better than ever, but what really blew me away from the synapse Suspiria restoration was the sound. It never, ever seemed so clear and unwarbled. I saw it in a theatre, though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I am pretty amazed at how well the English track is mixed. Many of the actors sounded like they were actually there, with their voices reverbing appropriately as if they were in large rooms. The only thing that bothered me is that the voice for Suzy sounded worse than most of the other voices. I get the feeling that it was just an issue with the source material, and Synapse just did the best with what they got.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I just got Suspiria and holy poo poo. $40 is still a bit high, but I don't regret paying it at all.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I thought I was going crazy ordering a movie I had never seen for almost $60, but I knew if I didn't like Suspiria, I could easily resell it and make a profit. Ended up loving the film, the restoration is jaw-dropping (English track inclusive), and I've listened to the soundtrack a bunch.

Sort of related, I decided to order Synapse's Thundercrack! on a lark since it's somewhat cheaper on Amazon than before (used to go for about $40, it's 25 now).

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Thundercrack! is great, as is every movie that has an exclamation point at the end of the title. .

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Just a quick FYI for those interested in 80s horror discs, I bought the Dark Forces (Code Red?) Blu-ray for Offerings, and while the picture looks okay, the artwork and case look and feel really cheap and janky. If I could do things over again, I'd just wait for the region B 88 Films disc that's out next month, which has more extras including a commentary track with The Hysteria Continues Podcast guys. So now I'll be the guy with two different editions of a borderline unknown late 80s slasher movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If it is a code red release I've read on the Blu-ray forums that the guy that runs Code Red is a bit of a dick and cuts corners when possible, but still gets really good transfers for distribution.

Also his online shop is ran like a brick n mortar store where it will be closed during random hours and you can't make purchases. Which is the video store tradition I remember.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The guy who runs Code Red is literally insane. One of the press releases of a recent title said "New 2K restoration from original negative funded by Code Red's credit cards"

By the way, Universal finally confirmed Phantom Thread UHD is coming on May 8th.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Universal finally confirmed Phantom Thread UHD is coming on May 8th.

Awesome. I was worried about that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey so in the sexual assault thread they mentioned that Weinstein Company is going to be dissolved and that its movie rights will go into a hedge fund. Should I stock up on TWC Blu-rays in the meantime?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

That must be why my copy of Dogma is worth so much

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Hey so in the sexual assault thread they mentioned that Weinstein Company is going to be dissolved and that its movie rights will go into a hedge fund. Should I stock up on TWC Blu-rays in the meantime?

Are there really that many must-own TWC films? Only ones I can think of jumping on are The Master and The Hateful Eight. The Artist, Inglourious Basterds, and Django Unchained are all distributed by other studios.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I hope this means the US can get the uncut version of The Grandmaster.

It probably won't, though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Egbert Souse posted:

Are there really that many must-own TWC films? Only ones I can think of jumping on are The Master and The Hateful Eight. The Artist, Inglourious Basterds, and Django Unchained are all distributed by other studios.

I would only buy one of these. And I already have it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I might have a still new copy of Dogma blue ray does that make me rich

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, Amazon has The Master for $12 and The Hateful Eight for $8 on Blu.

When I looked up The Master on Amazon, it's recommending I also buy a God's Not Dead/God's Not Dead 2 Blu.

:thunk:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Empress Brosephine posted:

I might have a still new copy of Dogma blue ray does that make me rich

Looks like it's going for $40-$100 on eBay, so yes. Though that's not even a TWC film anyways, it's a Sony/Lionsgate deal. Just one of those OOP Blus.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Is there a complete list somewhere of TWC blu-rays? I found some list on their website but I have no idea if it's everything. That said, aside from the aforementioned titles and Inglorious Basterds it's not really an impressive bunch.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

There’s some stuff in the Dimension library if that’s included. And the releases are often bad but they are the US distributor for some good films through the Dragon Dynasty label.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I can’t imagine them buying TWC catalogue and doing nothing with it..

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

sponges posted:

I can’t imagine them buying TWC catalogue and doing nothing with it..

I can, at least as far as blu-ray releases go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

MacheteZombie posted:

If it is a code red release I've read on the Blu-ray forums that the guy that runs Code Red is a bit of a dick and cuts corners when possible, but still gets really good transfers for distribution.

Also his online shop is ran like a brick n mortar store where it will be closed during random hours and you can't make purchases. Which is the video store tradition I remember.

The guy also doesn't *quite* get twitter either, and is a great follow. He just retweeted an article that called him out on a shittily run crowd funding campaign.

I went through his blog posts one day, and it's endless bitching about how the z-grade 80s horror films don't sell out and thinly veiled allusions at how surprised and jealous he is of Arrow et al selling out runs of higher profile cult films that have a shitload of effort put into them.

I'm not saying his goals and products don't have any value or anything, but expecting a third rate Corman film like Equaliser 2000 with one interview with the director to perform anything like Vinegar Syndrome's Liquid Sky or Arrows edition of Reanimator is kind of insane.

• Locked thread