Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

J
Jun 10, 2001

They actually have good ventors on them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Yeah whoever's doing it already had a poo poo-ton of currency before making those characters.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Yeah, that's not an amateur operation, except for the whole public profile thing.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Finally got that fire leech watcher's eye for my poet's pen scion. It is indeed a very nice quality of life upgrade. Getting that extra kaom's heart from crafting stupid beasts today gave me the currency I needed.

Been toying with a MF pen setup now, using sadima's tough, bisco's leash, and goldwyrm. I even maintain good resists and 7000 life while having the benefit of 41% IIQ and the bisco's onslaught dealie. Still definitely lose some survivability with without the acquities, and extra life from the slots. Bodyswap synnergises really well with keeping the leash onslaught going, along with goldwyrm's less than impressive move speed.

I may have a constant headache, but I move fast and find extra stuff! I might try to record a naseua-inducing example of a map this week.

Personally, I am thinking the solution may be a weapon swap with another set of pens. One set has bodyswap, the other just has PCoC. It would be a little sad to give up leveling gems in the swap though.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 19, 2018

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Started a PP/VD alt this afternoon, already up to level 30, and it's hilarious. Killed the Vaal Overseer at the end of Act 2 so fast that he had barely begun his first attack, and my gear is just random poo poo I picked up, had in my stash , or borrowed from the guild stash, other than the pens.

Slowly figuring out how to move around with Body Swap, but I still wish I could use Leap Slam with wands... I completely gave up on Flame Dash even though the gem is still slotted to level if for some reason I need to go back to it. The build I found on PoE forums isn't running any auras that I can see, which seems strange, as Anger and Herald of Ash both add some nice damage, and the only thing I seem to use mana for is Body Swap.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

The Locator posted:

Started a PP/VD alt this afternoon, already up to level 30, and it's hilarious. Killed the Vaal Overseer at the end of Act 2 so fast that he had barely begun his first attack, and my gear is just random poo poo I picked up, had in my stash , or borrowed from the guild stash, other than the pens.

Slowly figuring out how to move around with Body Swap, but I still wish I could use Leap Slam with wands... I completely gave up on Flame Dash even though the gem is still slotted to level if for some reason I need to go back to it. The build I found on PoE forums isn't running any auras that I can see, which seems strange, as Anger and Herald of Ash both add some nice damage, and the only thing I seem to use mana for is Body Swap.

Hah, same but I got to a6 / lvl 47. Leveling with PP is just insanely fast, I love it.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

I just found a Mutewind Seal as a drop from the Iceberg map boss, and being able to get 10 seconds of Onslaught whenever I want is pretty great for mapping. The other bonuses on the ring are pretty useless for a caster, though. Are there any better sources of Onslaught that don't require sacrificing too much from one of my slots? I know I could get a Silver Flask, but I don't know if I want that over a Diamond Flask.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

I just found a Mutewind Seal as a drop from the Iceberg map boss, and being able to get 10 seconds of Onslaught whenever I want is pretty great for mapping. The other bonuses on the ring are pretty useless for a caster, though. Are there any better sources of Onslaught that don't require sacrificing too much from one of my slots? I know I could get a Silver Flask, but I don't know if I want that over a Diamond Flask.

unless you are crit as gently caress you should do the silver flask, because that one ring slot could be hella defenses

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
So I was playing this league as usual when I had my very first Shavronne's Wrapping drop. I sold it and proceeded to buy high tier gear and... holy poo poo, it's like I opened my eyes to a world I didn't know it existed on this game, like new depths. This game is good, this game is goooooooooooooood.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Uber elder trip report:

Got them to like 60% then ran out of portals, seems distinctly not balanced at all for skills that can't do damage while moving. You have to move like 80%+ of the time which is just kinda meh if you aren't righteous fire I guess.

Also when you die you literally have to go thru like, no joke, 8 separate load screens/portals which is pretty demoralizing in itself.

Might try again with +6 max cold and see if I can just face tank stuff but still seems like it would still mostly be a ton of moving around doing no damage.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

On some chars I’ll support my Herald skill with an Onslaught support gem. It’s not perfectly reliable and won’t get you much on bosses, but has good mapping uptime and is completely mindless

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I've got vd on my pp

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Yesterday in guild chat people were telling me I could shape Volcano and somehow end up with it as my only possible T9 drop so that I could get lots of them to run for Kaom's Heart cards.

I've never really done much with the Atlas before this league, and I haven't shaped anything so far - can anyone tell me how I'd go about this, please?

So far I know I need to run maps with the starry Elder stuff on them in the Atlas to progress Zana's questline and start receiving Shaper's Orbs to shape maps.

At some point when I do an Elder-influenced T9 I'll get an orb I can use on a Volcano to make Volcanos drop as T9s, and then I can somehow un-complete map(s) to make Volcano the only possibly T9 drop? This is the part I'm not sure about, mostly.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jack the Lad posted:

Yesterday in guild chat people were telling me I could shape Volcano and somehow end up with it as my only possible T9 drop so that I could get lots of them to run for Kaom's Heart cards.

I've never really done much with the Atlas before this league, and I haven't shaped anything so far - can anyone tell me how I'd go about this, please?

So far I know I need to run maps with the starry Elder stuff on them in the Atlas to progress Zana's questline and start receiving Shaper's Orbs to shape maps.

At some point when I do an Elder-influenced T9 I'll get an orb I can use on a Volcano to make Volcanos drop as T9s, and then I can somehow un-complete map(s) to make Volcano the only possibly T9 drop? This is the part I'm not sure about, mostly.

Don't try to do this if you're new to Atlas. It's boring, as you'll only ever be running Volcano maps (you probably won't get that far if you're new to atlas), it makes Elder/Shaper stuff more annoying because there will be huge swaths of the map that you can't complete for fear of ruining your shaping.

To start out, just complete the maps you find. You'll drop new maps connected to the map you're in, as well as other maps that you've already completed. Buy new maps you haven't unlocked yet from Zana (completeing her daily mission or leveling her up reset her inventory). Once you've petered out on unlocking new maps that you found yourself, buy maps on poe.trade (I like to leapfrog one - maximizes the new map types you can find).

Run starry maps (Shaper) to advance the Zana quest. Once you see alien blob (Elder), run starry maps next to blob to expand blob. Maps in the blob will be highlighted to get Memoy fragments to earn Shaper orbs. Use the Shaper Orbs on your favorite map type of that tier.

Expand blob REAL big, and the Elder maps will pop up in your Atlas.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Jack the Lad posted:

Main thing is you'll want to NOT complete any T9s or T10s on the atlas. You'll need to complete 1 T9 for the memory fragment for zana's questline to get the shaper orb to shape volcano. Then you can vendor 3 journeyman sextants + 1 scouring orb to get an item that will let you "uncomplete" the T9 you did on your atlas to get the shaping orb. Now your atlas should have only ONE completed T9 (shaped volcano), and no other T9s or T10s. When you run a shaped volcano from then on out, if a map drops and it would have been a tier10, since you have no T10s complete and shaped volcano isn't physically connected to any T10s, it downgrades back to a T9, and your only T9 is shaped volcano, so the map that drops is volcano. Same if a T9 map drops, it will always be shaped volcano.

If you really want to minmax this, then you'll also get the elder territory spread out all over that region of the atlas by beating up on sparkly shaper controlled maps next to the elder territory with the hopes that elder or one of his guardians spawns near volcano (but not ON volcano.) That will get the elder/shaper war constantly happening on your volcano, which adds extra monsters to the map for more loot. Once the elder controls 20 maps on the atlas, he and his 4 guardians spawn on that territory somewhere. If you're in it for the long haul this is very worth doing. If the initial elder territory spawns on the opposite side of the atlas you can just stomp him out immediately and hope the next time it spawns closer.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

J posted:

Main thing is you'll want to NOT complete any T9s or T10s on the atlas. You'll need to complete 1 T9 for the memory fragment for zana's questline to get the shaper orb to shape volcano. Then you can vendor 3 journeyman sextants + 1 scouring orb to get an item that will let you "uncomplete" the T9 you did on your atlas to get the shaping orb. Now your atlas should have only ONE completed T9 (shaped volcano), and no other T9s or T10s. When you run a shaped volcano from then on out, if a map drops and it would have been a tier10, since you have no T10s complete and shaped volcano isn't physically connected to any T10s, it downgrades back to a T9, and your only T9 is shaped volcano, so the map that drops is volcano. Same if a T9 map drops, it will always be shaped volcano.

If you really want to minmax this, then you'll also get the elder territory spread out all over that region of the atlas by beating up on sparkly shaper controlled maps next to the elder territory with the hopes that elder or one of his guardians spawns near volcano (but not ON volcano.) That will get the elder/shaper war constantly happening on your volcano, which adds extra monsters to the map for more loot. Once the elder controls 20 maps on the atlas, he and his 4 guardians spawn on that territory somewhere. If you're in it for the long haul this is very worth doing. If the initial elder territory spawns on the opposite side of the atlas you can just stomp him out immediately and hope the next time it spawns closer.

Thanks for this explanation. It sounds like a terribly un-fun thing that I would never want to do, but now I understand what people are talking about!

forge
Feb 26, 2006
So I also started a pp vd build and was following that popular build. I am left puzzled though after looking at their gear and gems in the build. Their dex is 77 and they have no +dex items. Yet they have a gmp that is level 19 or whatever which requires 109? dex. But pob shows the skill points at 77 dex. What am I missing? I was going to just take the alacrity node for +30 dex to at least get me to 104.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I stopped shaping my atlas after Legacy. I'm not doing that poo poo, it's not for me. I run maps, get new maps, and run more maps.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Same, there's only one or two red tier maps I don't like to run (looking at you torture chamber) and my bias confirmation lizard brain is enjoying the higher bonus completion sustain.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

forge posted:

So I also started a pp vd build and was following that popular build. I am left puzzled though after looking at their gear and gems in the build. Their dex is 77 and they have no +dex items. Yet they have a gmp that is level 19 or whatever which requires 109? dex. But pob shows the skill points at 77 dex. What am I missing? I was going to just take the alacrity node for +30 dex to at least get me to 104.

Not sure without looking at the build but don't waste a skill point on more dex for gmp. Leveling gmp only gets you more damage on your frenzy which is almost nothing. You could leave it at lvl 1 and not notice a difference.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
So really I shouldn't bother getting dex any higher than the default 77 in the build?

It was this build btw. http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2050819

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I can't look at the pob right now but starkonja's has mondo dex and there is also a ring with dex listed in the gear tab. You will need 98 eventually for max level VD but you shouldn't need any beyond that.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Starkonja also requires mondo dex, so don't be like me and take it off when the dex on the helm is what let's you wear the helm and have to buy an amulet and a ring for 3 chaos so you can reequip it.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Jean Eric Burn posted:

Uber elder trip report:

Got them to like 60% then ran out of portals, seems distinctly not balanced at all for skills that can't do damage while moving. You have to move like 80%+ of the time which is just kinda meh if you aren't righteous fire I guess.

Also when you die you literally have to go thru like, no joke, 8 separate load screens/portals which is pretty demoralizing in itself.

Might try again with +6 max cold and see if I can just face tank stuff but still seems like it would still mostly be a ton of moving around doing no damage.

Is uber elder just an elder fight on T11+ maps? Or is there some other mechanism to get a different elder fight?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Is uber elder just an elder fight on T11+ maps? Or is there some other mechanism to get a different elder fight?

It's the new ridiculous boss fight that has elder and shaper at the same time

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

With poets pen builds is frenzy your attack move instead of the default right click attack? Or do you only pop frenzy as you are about to lose frenzy charges?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Alright so here's my heavy strike jugg: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/silvergoose/characters

I've got maybe 3.5ex worth of liquid currency. I think my next buy should be one of:
kaom's heart
6L weapon (doomsower/kondo's pride probably)
6L chest with some life
starforge

The last one of course is the most expensive. Any thoughts what I should get? Beyond just spending a few chaos on upgrading each of my other slots, since I could use more life and attack speed on gloves or whatever, better rings maybe.

What should I get/save up for? Hoping to get more uber survivability, so I could get a brass dome instead? But kaom's heart just seems the most likely to help me, chest-wise.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Zotix posted:

With poets pen builds is frenzy your attack move instead of the default right click attack? Or do you only pop frenzy as you are about to lose frenzy charges?
Yes? You can't link poo poo with regular attack, and you want Faster Attacks for leveling (you don't have the raw attack speed) and eventually GMP Curse on Hit Curse once you have sufficient base attack speed from tree/gear. Also Frenzy gets attack speed with frenzy charges too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

On that HS Jugg do you use Multistrike on bosses instead of AC?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

euphronius posted:

On that HS Jugg do you use Multistrike on bosses instead of AC?

I should but map bosses into early yellows have posed no problems at all so I haven't bothered

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Alright so here's my heavy strike jugg: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/silvergoose/characters

I've got maybe 3.5ex worth of liquid currency. I think my next buy should be one of:
kaom's heart
6L weapon (doomsower/kondo's pride probably)
6L chest with some life
starforge

The last one of course is the most expensive. Any thoughts what I should get? Beyond just spending a few chaos on upgrading each of my other slots, since I could use more life and attack speed on gloves or whatever, better rings maybe.

What should I get/save up for? Hoping to get more uber survivability, so I could get a brass dome instead? But kaom's heart just seems the most likely to help me, chest-wise.

starforge makes the most difference. I'd go for that

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mr. Whale posted:

starforge makes the most difference. I'd go for that

That's what I was afraid of. Just save up for starforge, and then get some better armor, then.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Lots of pen people coming up. It is a fun build, but doing it well isn't cheap.

If you can't afford a fire leech eye, I found that a random crap shaped amulet with fire leeched as life, warlord's mark, and boot leech enchant all kept me up pretty well through red maps.

Get that helmet enchant ASAP. It is effectively a 33% more multiplier.

Attack speed is trickier than it looks. With no cooldown reduction, at 3.9 APS you'll definitely skip casts. Even at 3.82 I am skipping casts sometimes. It seems like somewhere between 3.75 and 3.8 is the sweet spot for reliably casting every time.

I might put my scion on hold and roll an inquisitor now that my gear is better. Playing around in PoB vs shaper, inquisitor is somewhere around 40-50% more dps than scion. Elementalist is around 20-30% more dps than scion and is reflect immune. Not bad, honestly. Is the overleech from scion worth giving up? Maybe. Map bosses are getting gibbed right now, but more damage is more damage.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 19, 2018

forge
Feb 26, 2006

pork never goes bad posted:

Starkonja also requires mondo dex, so don't be like me and take it off when the dex on the helm is what let's you wear the helm and have to buy an amulet and a ring for 3 chaos so you can reequip it.

I'm feeling dumb. But if you equip an item and then lose the req ie, dex. Doesn't it just turn red so you don't get any benefit from it anyway?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

The Locator posted:

If you found a guide that doesn't tell you to use Anger and HOA, run for the hills because both of those auras do amazing things and VD/PP costs no mana so RESERVE IT ALL.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Filthy Monkey posted:

Lots of pen people coming up. It is a fun build, but doing it well isn't cheap.

If you can't afford a fire leech eye, I found that a random crap shaped amulet with fire leeched as life, warlord's mark, and boot leech enchant all kept me up pretty well through red maps.

Get that helmet enchant ASAP. It is effectively a 33% more multiplier.

Attack speed is trickier than it looks. With no cooldown reduction, at 3.9 APS you'll definitely skip casts. Even at 3.82 I am skipping casts sometimes. It seems like somewhere between 3.75 and 3.8 is the sweet spot for reliably casting every time.

Fire leech eye? Is that the watcher's eye? I loosely looked over the build last night. I have roughly 3ex, but if I end up liking the build I can liquidate around 7 more ex from my other character. Is that enough to get up and rolling?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

forge posted:

I'm feeling dumb. But if you equip an item and then lose the req ie, dex. Doesn't it just turn red so you don't get any benefit from it anyway?
Sure, but Starkonja's gives you enough dex for you to be able to wear it, so it doesn't turn red. It keeps itself stapled on your head.

Lechtansi posted:

If you found a guide that doesn't tell you to use Anger and HOA, run for the hills because both of those auras do amazing things and VD/PP costs no mana so RESERVE IT ALL.
For sure. For my scion, Anger is around 11% more, and HoA is around 14% more. The other auras are all sub 5%.

Zotix posted:

Fire leech eye? Is that the watcher's eye? I loosely looked over the build last night. I have roughly 3ex, but if I end up liking the build I can liquidate around 7 more ex from my other character. Is that enough to get up and rolling?
Yeah, watcher's eye with fire leech are expensive. I spent 9ex on one yesterday. It is easily the most expensive part of the build, but it isn't a necessity for general purpose mapping. You can do fine with a shaped amulet and warlord's mark. Leech boot enchant is nice for mapping too.

I would say to spend your ex on a VD+1 helm (I use a starkonja's, but others are fine), and a kaom's heart.

For movement, most of the time I've been just using a flame dash+arcane surge link for combat movement. Long distance travel has a brighbeak/eclipse weapon swap. To be fair, most of my deaths come from weapon swapping and not swapping back. If you can stomach bodyswap, it is potentially the stronger approach.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 19, 2018

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I've seen people say use Deveto's for the helm?

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

silvergoose posted:

That's what I was afraid of. Just save up for starforge, and then get some better armor, then.

Personally I'd go 6L rare chest with life, then starforge, then 6L starforge, then Kaom's. You should be able to get a 6L uncorrupted for about 40c, then just slap a greed essence on it and you're good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Zotix posted:

I've seen people say use Deveto's for the helm?
The movespeed on devoto's is pointless if you are doing bodyswap. If you aren't, it is a good option. Definitely speedier than starkonjas, though you lose some life. Probably better than starkonja's for general mapping without bodyswap. Rat's nest would be a strong option for damage and speed as well.

I would suggest trying out the build before deciding on your helmet choice. See which one fits your tastes better. I think all of the above options are viable. The important part is the enchant.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 19, 2018