Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I can't give up Protected on Varian's W. without it, he's just toothless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Bogart posted:

I can't give up Protected on Varian's W. without it, he's just toothless.

Same, I wish they would give you SOME kind of option at 4, like "Lion's Fang does 150% bonus damage to minions, monsters, and mercenaries". They could call it King Takes Pawn.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

EdRush posted:

Varian auto attack with smash at level 10 with High King's Quest complete does 603 damage. With W build it does 256. Overpower level 1 gives you a 20% bonus if you are attacked but that is nowhere near that difference. Doing a smash combo with 2 auto attacks does 1882 damage (R auto Q E auto) with W build and 2513 with High Kings Quest complete. Even if you had a Tracer steady feeding you auto attacks I'm pretty sure W build doesn't do more damage.

Uh explain your math? King's Quest gives you a flat 75 bonus damage per AA hit right? W gives you an extra heroic strike proc if anyone attacks you. You most likely will get 2+ AA's and a bonus heroic before they can disengage from you/die.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

bamhand posted:

Uh explain your math? King's Quest gives you a flat 75 bonus damage per AA hit right? W gives you an extra heroic strike proc if anyone attacks you. You most likely will get 2+ AA's and a bonus heroic before they can disengage from you/die.

The damage from King's Quest is doubled by Collossus Smash.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dire Human posted:

I’m probably the ten-thousandth person to make a Vol’jin support hero concept, but by god am I going to make it work anyway. The only thing I’m stuck on is Hex; is there a way to differentiate it from Brightwing’ Polymorph? Maybe make it a skillshot CC like Ana or Tyrande, or convert it mechanically into a stun instead of a polymorph? Or should I even care that there’s some overlap between support abilities?

Make it a skillshot and make it force the target to hop in a random direction (or if even that minor element of RNG is too much, they can be forced to hop in the direction they were already facing)

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Kurieg posted:

The damage from King's Quest is doubled by Collossus Smash.

Right but the damage bonus from overpower and heroic strike is also affected by smash. So you should either take it into account for both or neither.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Dire Human posted:

I’m probably the ten-thousandth person to make a Vol’jin support hero concept, but by god am I going to make it work anyway. The only thing I’m stuck on is Hex; is there a way to differentiate it from Brightwing’ Polymorph? Maybe make it a skillshot CC like Ana or Tyrande, or convert it mechanically into a stun instead of a polymorph? Or should I even care that there’s some overlap between support abilities?

Doesn't hex in wc3 break faster if you attack them? It could be a long duration poly that breaks if the hexed hero takes damage.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

bamhand posted:

Right but the damage bonus from overpower and heroic strike is also affected by smash. So you should either take it into account for both or neither.

The 75 damage is applied to the auto attack, which is then doubled by colossus smash's passive 100% increase to auto attack damage.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

bamhand posted:

he’s referring to CS’s passive AA damage bonus, not the armor reduction

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Ooh got it. So 150 bonus damage on every AA. Overpower offers 240 per additional heroic strike proc though. So if you're taking any hits I think it comes up on top. If someone is trying to run away from you I guess High King's is better. Though that's also assuming you can finish it in a timely manner. Plus it doesn't scale as the game goes on.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

If you're playing Varian as an assassin then you find people away from the pack and stagger slows to kill them as they run away. Overpower's only good if they stand and fight you.

And yes if you have a tracer or a zarya on the enemy team and they're dumb enough to keep AAing you while you're parrying to high heaven then yes go full parry talents and god be with you.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
I really want to like Ana but I I don't think I can stand her non-coordinated team. It feels like people actively go out of their way to dodge her healing when they're no longer in danger or do their best to dive in between you and the person you're healing.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
A question for Johanna players - how do you decide on your level 1 talent pick?

Reinforce seems correct if the other team has a strong slow-auto attacker she can't always blind easily, such as Hanzo; when that's not the case, I usually default to Laws of Hope, and am uncertain when Hold Your Ground is a better idea. Theoretically against a team that has both strong CC effects and very high up-front burst?

I think I more or less have a handle on the other talent tiers, but all advice is welcome! I've been favoring Johanna in solo- or partial-queue Quick Match as a tank that's always at least solid, no matter how weird the teams are.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I pick Laws of Hope, always. Even if the other team is CC central, I still strongly consider LoH the all around choice.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 18, 2018

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
BlossoM totally threw by going Cho'gall. :( I enjoyed watching them and was rooting for them especially on their comback at Battlefield of Eternity.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Bogart posted:

I pick Laws of Hope, always. Even if the other team is CC central, I still strongly consider LoH the all around choice.

LoH have a win rate around 1.5% higher than Johanna’s overall win rate, despite being picked 70% of the time so yeah, I’d say that it is almost always the best pick.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
It's always interesting when the meta shifts and a character that has had no changes for a while suddenly becomes the most OP hero in the game

Expect massive Tracer nerfs soon

but wait, the Fenix trailer said she's good against him

then again it also said https://clips.twitch.tv/TubularSuaveAlpacaAMPEnergy

Midnightghoul fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 18, 2018

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I've been calling Tracer OP for a year now, I'm glad the meta finally caught up to me.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

How is Tracer OP? She can barely kill the entire enemy team herself most of the time?

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Star posted:

LoH have a win rate around 1.5% higher than Johanna’s overall win rate, despite being picked 70% of the time so yeah, I’d say that it is almost always the best pick.

Thank you and Bogart. I'll keep on keeping on with it.

tcjimbo
May 15, 2008

This is Jimbo!
Hey-hey, man!
We got this!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

How is Tracer OP? She can barely kill the entire enemy team herself most of the time?

She punishes anyone who is out of position and with Medivh getting buffed she is really loving hard to lock down.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

tcjimbo posted:

She punishes anyone who is out of position and with Medivh getting buffed she is really loving hard to lock down.

And you gotta draft specifically against her to have a good chance of winning.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The ability to detect sarcasm is always the first thing to go.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
How do you miss the obvious joke of "a character can 'barely' kill an entire enemy team by herself"?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I believe Tyrande exists for people that get "play 3 support quests" but still wanna kick some rear end.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Irradiation posted:

I really want to like Ana but I I don't think I can stand her non-coordinated team. It feels like people actively go out of their way to dodge her healing when they're no longer in danger or do their best to dive in between you and the person you're healing.

Wait for Fenix to be released then queue as Ana. He looks fat enough to easily hit even if the player does their best to dodge you, and his two ults seem tailor-made for Nanoboost.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Charles Bukowski posted:

I believe Tyrande exists for people that get "play 3 support quests" but still wanna kick some rear end.

I love her, but I wish there were more chances to use her.

Someone tell me she's a secret Sonya counter so I can slam her more in TL!

For folks who get the "play 3 support quests" and don't like her play style: play Li Li or Lucio, walk up to enemies and b-step, then walk away as they fail miserably to kill you

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

BrianBoitano posted:

I love her, but I wish there were more chances to use her.

Someone tell me she's a secret Sonya counter so I can slam her more in TL!

If you're godlike at landing her stun you can keep interrupting whirlwind.

Yeah I got nothin.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I just enjoyed constantly stunning the enemy Hammer (how dare they pick Hammer in QM) and picking off runners with owl. She's wonderful fun.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Tyrande is when you have the support quest but want to try to top the scoreboard for hero damage instead.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I love playing lucio but my need to look cool by constantly wall riding means my arm gets worn out from non stop clicking

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

AlmightyBob posted:

I love playing lucio but my need to look cool by constantly wall riding means my arm gets worn out from non stop clicking

You can just hold down right-click and your hero will follow your cursor around. Very useful on Tracer and Lucio

1stGear fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 19, 2018

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Charles Bukowski posted:

GenericOverusedName posted:

Tyrande is when you have the support quest but want to try to top the scoreboard for hero damage instead.

Jokes on them, they could be playing Kharazim.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Mierenneuker posted:

Jokes on them, they could be playing Kharazim.

Khara can't throw owls and obliterate people who think that they're safe.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

GenericOverusedName posted:

Khara can't throw owls and obliterate people who think that they're safe.

Tyrande + Fenix EARTH CRACKER :black101: besties

unrelated:

https://twitter.com/hotshighlord/status/975694162765869056

e: this guy does Real Art: https://twitter.com/hotshighlord/status/912618850574786562

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 19, 2018

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

The Little Murkmaid is my waifu

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

https://twitter.com/hotshighlord/status/887174233716998144

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

I've been seeing a bunch of Thralls in QM lately -- what gives?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It turned out that lightning bounce range increase catapulted crash lightning Thrall to top tier.

edit: wow I didn't realize just how crazy it had gotten. He has a 92% popularity in master and CL has a 95% pick rate.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Sindai posted:

It turned out that lightning bounce range increase catapulted crash lightning Thrall to top tier.

I'm guessing they're gonna nerf his bounce damage soon, at least some. It's pretty ridiculous that you can hit people for 500-600 per bounce.