Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Power flows through every kind of building. Life support too assuming the building has a hookup tile. Pipe > hookup tile > building > hookup tile > pipe with no other interconnects works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That's 100% not true unless they changed it with a patch because I lost my first colony explicitly because water does not flow through domes

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Water definitely flows through domes and did in youtubers' pre-release copies too?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am pretty sure one of the prerelease youtubes explicitly came up against the problem of resources not flowing through structures.

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

Wyld Karde posted:

Just scored the sweetest breakthrough tech. AI that lets unstaffed mines work at 50%. They don't even need a dome nearby. Ker-ching! An unstaffed mine running all three shifts with no need for life support mechanisms on hand? That's value for money.

If only the dust storms didn't keep loving up my maintenance budget and cutting off my resupply missions.

I got this one as the 4th breakthrough on my current Blue Sun Corp run. I'm on Sol 65 and I've already mined up an entire rare metals deposit and I'm working on the second one. They go super fast when you slap down 6 extractors.

I'm having trouble manufacturing fuel fast enough to get all these rare metals off world and staying on top of my colony's insane appetite for machine parts. :v:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

OwlFancier posted:

I am pretty sure one of the prerelease youtubes explicitly came up against the problem of resources not flowing through structures.

Yeah I remember Quill having a similar problem of resources not flowing through structures. I'm guessing they patched it, I think I remember a patch coming through over the weekend at some point.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Edit: it's worked for me from the first time I tried it, which may have been after that patch, yeah.

My current game as Paradox / Futurist, very first breakthrough tech is the one that converts power to research. :getin:

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 19, 2018

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It'd be nice if the priority system was more robust too. Like directional valves for water and oxygen so I can put a fuel plant next to my water and a directional valve into a water tank. Then any excess water goes into the tank but if something shuts down the water source it doesn't flow back into the fuel plant and the dome next to the water tower takes everything.

It could also just be used as a first come first serve. Water goes into the dome and flows out to other structures. The dome takes supply priority because it's first in the chain, not because I set it's priority to 3.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Why are drones so ADD? A drone comes up to the pile, picks up an electronics, brings it to the build site, then goes off and grabs a fuel to stick into a rocket nearby, and another drone gets sent to get another electronics. Just do one job!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

Why are drones so ADD? A drone comes up to the pile, picks up an electronics, brings it to the build site, then goes off and grabs a fuel to stick into a rocket nearby, and another drone gets sent to get another electronics. Just do one job!

Priorities can help with that, generally drones do that kind of thing when they're overworked I think too, the system works best when you can flood jobs with drones so getting a good supply of them is pretty important.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

How many sols does it usually take for mysteries to trigger? I've got a stable colony and expansion plans, but I kind of feel like I've won this one already.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Mine started about sol 90 or so.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

metasynthetic posted:

Mine started about sol 90 or so.
Cool - thanks.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I just got one at Sol 62 in a newish run. It’s one of the ones people have been saying are annoying, but I’ll see how it goes.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I got the anomaly that started mine at like Sol 50, so it might be very random, or there might be some logic in there that kicks it off early if it looks like you're doing well.

Pirate Radar posted:

It does look weird, but if the fuel is closer to the construction site than the electronics depot, switching between jobs is a more efficient use of time overall, especially if there's another drone that's closer to the depot. Either way, the AI will happily send more than one drone at once to ferry the same resource to the same site if they're free, so you're not actually losing any productivity.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Weekend game report: My 3 dome colony (clustered to try to get workers for each dome able to work at my out of dome buildings) got smacked dead on by a meteor storm. Lost a ton of resources and tons of pipe and wire damage... This was followed immediately by a dust storm, which meant my 120 colonists all nearly suffocated... I am not going to spend a bunch of time building switches and stuff... was really nerve wracking...

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Is there any downside to buying a shitload of drones? Seems to make the game way easier if you have 30-40 as opposed to the dozen you start with.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

canepazzo posted:

Is there any downside to buying a shitload of drones? Seems to make the game way easier if you have 30-40 as opposed to the dozen you start with.

Opportunity cost?

I mean that is what the rockets are, a shop for useful stuff for which you get a limited budget.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

canepazzo posted:

No and it’s highly recommended. They’re quite cheap and hugely useful

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

canepazzo posted:

There's a limit to how many drones your controllers can handle at any one time, so that can be a bit of a bottleneck. But there's also a tech that'll raise that limit to a hundred each, so yeah you can go hog wild in the long run. I usually fill up whatever spare space left in my early supply rockets with additional drones, makes building up and maintaining those early domes much less of a hassle.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

OwlFancier posted:

Wait what tech is that? Is it a breakthrough?

Can’t check right now but isn’t it in the scan tree? Second from the bottom.

I really need to see the full trees sometime

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Perestroika posted:

There's a limit to how many drones your controllers can handle at any one time, so that can be a bit of a bottleneck. But there's also a tech that'll raise that limit to a hundred each, so yeah you can go hog wild in the long run. I usually fill up whatever spare space left in my early supply rockets with additional drones, makes building up and maintaining those early domes much less of a hassle.
I've found launching with a single drone, 4+ drone hubs, and inventor to be a really solid QOL improvement. The drones will suck up all the surface resources in range and you'll have the workforce you need to immediately slam down extractors and infrastructure.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

metasynthetic posted:

So, base design ideas.

This may seem obvious, but I've been using this topology for my electric grid, "power flowers":

It minimizes materials and wasted space spent on power cables. You can do the same thing with windmills. (The orientation is purely to satisfy my own OCD.) Haven't yet bothered figuring out the optimal pattern for interlinking flower cells.
Power cables and water pipes use 1 metal per 5 tiles. The first costs 1 metal and the next 4 are free. So each one of those dots costs the same as a 5 tile line. I don't think you're saving any money.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Is there a way to remove piping after you research the improved pipes breakthrough? I hadn't realized that they fixed the bug with water/oxygen/electricity not flowing through domes, and consequently I've got a bunch of ugly pipe routing around my exteriors that I'd like to eliminate.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 19, 2018

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Bhodi posted:

Power cables and water pipes use 1 metal per 5 tiles. The first costs 1 metal and the next 4 are free. So each one of those dots costs the same as a 5 tile line. I don't think you're saving any money.
The flowers are pretty though. I'll give them that.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Ersatz posted:

Is there a way to remove piping after you research the improved pipes breakthrough? I hadn't realized that they fixed the bug with water/oxygen/electricity not flowing through domes, and consequently I've got a bunch of ugly pipe routing around my exteriors that I'd like to eliminate.

There's a salvage button under infrastructure in the build menu.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Ersatz posted:

Yes, but it's a bit wonky.
Go to the Infrastructure category in the build menu, the leftmost one with tunnels and drone hubs.
The last button in that menu is a salvage tool. Then just click on on any and all stuff you want removed.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Bhodi posted:

If power flows through connected power buildings, why does it need a cable at all?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pash posted:

Weekend game report: My 3 dome colony (clustered to try to get workers for each dome able to work at my out of dome buildings) got smacked dead on by a meteor storm. Lost a ton of resources and tons of pipe and wire damage... This was followed immediately by a dust storm, which meant my 120 colonists all nearly suffocated... I am not going to spend a bunch of time building switches and stuff... was really nerve wracking...

If a meteor storm lands on you I would suggest savescumming, they're just complete bullshit if you don't have lasers.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Groetgaffel posted:

Yes, but it's a bit wonky.
Go to the Infrastructure category in the build menu, the leftmost one with tunnels and drone hubs.
The last button in that menu is a salvage tool. Then just click on on any and all stuff you want removed.

Note it won't completely remove structures without another research.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fans posted:

Can’t check right now but isn’t it in the scan tree? Second from the bottom.

I really need to see the full trees sometime

There is one that lets you deep scan (including rescanning areas you've already scanned) to find additional deposits deeper underground (including MASSIVE water deposits) but it's not repeatable, unless you got a different one than I did.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

My little colony is coming together :3:

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Pirate Radar posted:

Oh since you've been checking it out, I was wondering: how much food does a colonist consume each day? What's an optimal farm setup look like? I've been rotating soybeans-potatoes-wheat but I started to run into food problems when I scaled up and I don't know why.

I got curious about this myself (I'm starting to put together a guide on dome builds) and from looking at my own colony, it looks like it's somewhere between 4.5-5 colonists per crate of food per sol, with the variance probably coming from how many gluttons that dome has. A farm doing Ground Cover/Potatoes/Potatoes (which seems to be the highest overall yield I can get right now) produces an average of 6.8 food per sol, and so can feed 35ish colonists. Given that I can easily get a medium dome to over 100 colonists, I'm thinking it will require two farms per medium dome.

Or I need to start building a pair of agridomes, which is my current plan. Given that each farm only needs six workers, you could staff it with a single smart complex, so a medium dome could have six farms with three plots left for support facilities and support staff. Throw a water reclamation spire in there and that dome could sustain 180 colonists beyond itself - and I think I have one more tier of crops to go beyond my current rotation, so that number can only climb.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Heffer posted:

If power flows through connected power buildings, why does it need a cable at all?

Misspoke - power will flow through buildings to wires. Every building still needs to be connected to an energized wire to be on the grid, building-building connections do not work.

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

kaynorr posted:

it looks like it's somewhere between 4.5-5 colonists per crate of food per sol, with the variance probably coming from how many gluttons that dome has.

The number I've seen is 0.2 per visit to a diner/grocer which matches up with that. I think glutton doubles that to 0.4.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Oh my god. I just realized how to turn on 'heavy workload' shifts. (It's the clock icon on the right side of the work shift UI.)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pirate Radar posted:

I just got one at Sol 62 in a newish run. It’s one of the ones people have been saying are annoying, but I’ll see how it goes.

Update: This one turned out to be Marsgate, which gave me a bunch of cash. Neat, I guess. I'm Europe this run and mainly making money off of easy tech research.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

My last game I got the plane building, plane speed upgrade, plane carry upgrade, and parking capacity upgrade and it was sweet as gently caress. Planes zipping everywhere delivering poo poo where it was needed really cut down on the logistics tedium. I'd send my drone rovers out across the map to collect surface metals/polymer and just leave them there because planes seem to have unlimited range and would empty the site in quick order. In the few sections of infrastructure not covered by a drone hub I'd just leave empty resource areas for whatever is needed for repair and park a drone rover on it and my air force would have the problem sorted in short order. Shame about the rogue AI that ruined everything.

Also FYI you don't need to reassign drones off of shuttles before liftoff - they'll leave the drones behind, who are then assigned to the nearest drone controller with capacity. If you're importing drones just land them next to where you want them to work.

Bhodi posted:

They may not be saving money, but that configuration does reduce the total number of cable segments, which makes maintenance less of an issue since each one seems to have it's own countdown to failure.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Now this is the sort of thing the game really needed to tell us. My logistics situation just got a lot easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Wow, no poo poo. No more storing the hydrazine next to the applesauce.