Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

I tend to agree with Joseph Anderson generally, but I also find him really verbose without being particularly insightful despite the length of his videos. It's not great to sit through an hour long video and find myself mostly half-assedly going 'Yeah, I guess', which probably says more about how much free time I have than anything else.

I also found most of the criticisms about the coincidences in the story really tedious and pointless in the most nitpicky kind of way. The story for the game has some big structural flaws while also not really sitting well with the gameplay but also has some thematic stuff he probably should have mentioned but he doesn't go into that and instead we get 'are we to believe this is some kind of magic xylophone?' level stuff.

Conal Cochran posted:

This is my thought process whenever a grown adult complains about a children's show.

1. Why do they care? It's not made for them.
2. Though there is nothing wrong with liking a children's show.
3. But if you don't like it you should probably just move on and forget about it.
4. I guess you can also say that about non children's shows/movies.
5. Bob Chipman made a 4 hour rant about BvS.

I can kind of get having strong opinions about, like, Gravity Falls or Steven Universe or some other cartoon that makes a stab at having an adult audience with actual themes and long form narrative and poo poo.

But Bob the Builder? What?

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Bob the Builder is communist propaganda where the lead protagonist is a Stakhanovite ubermenschen who exists purely to lead by example by devoting himself to nothing but working all hours of the day that are sent to him in order to rebuild the state and fix that which was spoiled by filthy, decadent Imperalism. And furthermore

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Oh also if we're still recommending people I want to mention Mandalore Gaming, he's one my favorite games reviewers at the moment, he does something similar to Ross's game dungeon, find old obscure games that are almost always western PC titles and reviews them extensively. But he has this incredible knack for finding the strangest, most impenetrable stuff while showing just how weird and wonderful, or just plain terrible, these games can get. His style of reviewing and editing is quite unique but it's a bit reminiscent of RLM or MrBtongue, who might also want to be on the list even though he very rarely posts content.

Here he is talking about goon favorite Space Station 13.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLAHBexJxrE

I also want to mention Cinefix, I tend to sing these guys praises more than most but that's because I think people are mislead by the surface level look of their stuff which mostly looks like bland Watchmojo tier list crap but its actually way, way more insightful than that. They have some of the strongest knowledge of cinema of anybody on youtube, I mean like they'll constantly be making lists filled with Italian neorealist cinema or obscure Soviet classics from the 70s when everybody else is only talking about things like David Fincher and Chris Nolan (I don't mean any offence, I just dislike the way internet cinema discussion is so constrained around a few well known recent films and makers). They really helped me expand my knowledge of cinema and gave me tons of awesome old movies to track down with lots of insightful commentary on the craft behind them. I really recommend them.

This video is nice and approachable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFTFFA0LtE

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 19, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Lightning Knight posted:

I still think Joseph Anderson is good and worth watching even if he’s on the wrongthink list for criticizing Nintendo. :colbert:

he isn't on that list for criticizing nintendo, he's on it for being really loving dumb in his criticisms of them and others.

like, that subnautica video is just embarrassing. doubly so because there's a shitton to talk about with subnautica, in fact i've been strongly considering getting into game criticism videos by starting with a video discussing subnautica and a certain subset of the 'hardcore gaming' crowd because there's a lot just about that one subject to talk about relating to subnautica. instead he just focuses on things that seem pedantic and nitpicky for almost the entire video.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 19, 2018

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Movie retrospectives:
Oliver Harper
Video Essays about movies:
Kaptainkristian
Karsten Runquist
StrucciMovies
What's So Great About That?
Animation:
Saberspark
ThePedanticRomantic
Books:
The Dom
Movie riffs and drunk reviews of boardgames:
BlameSociety
So you dig corpses eh?:
Ask A Mortician

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
This thread needs way more wrestling love

Wrestling With Wregret (Patreon) -- A mix of reviewing current shows, retrospectives, and Top 8 lists. Notable for Brian Zane being a former wrestler/manager himself, so he brings a unique perspective to things.

The Nobodies (Patreon) -- Drag queens reviewing wrestling fashion. No more needs to be said.

Showbuckle (Patreon) -- Video essays on New Japan Pro Wrestling, with an emphasis on dissecting long-term storylines. Well-researched, easy to watch and great editing, this channel is a must-follow for anyone interested in NJPW.

Real Neat Puro (Patreon) -- Similar to Showbuckle, but with more of a "beginner's guide to NJPW" approach.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Some more:

Phelous: Does comedic reviews of horror movies, low-budget cartoons and bootleg action figures. Notable for covering many films from the infamously horrible Dingo Pictures, which have to be seen to be believed. (Patreon)

(Yeah I know he’s already on there but he deserves his own blurb)

Film Brain: A movie reviewer from the early days of TGWTG. Has slowed down in recent years but still has a massive back catalogue of hilarious videos. He also does shorter videos focusing on more recent releases. (Patreon)

Infamous Sphere: Though now retired from the internet critic game, she focused on two rarely-covered niches: queer films and period dramas, so check out her videos if you’re at all interested in either subject.

RedLetterMedia: Originally known for their epic-length takedowns of the Star Wars prequels. Nowadays they mostly laugh at ultra-low-budget films in their “best of the worst” series as well as analyzing more recent releases on “half in the bag”. (Patreon)

Lost In Adaptation: Covers a specific type of film: ones that have been adapted from books, and his reviews focus on the changes made to the source material as well as how the adaptation as a whole worked out. Has done series covering the entire Harry Potter and Hunger Games series, along with many others. (Patreon)

MMO Grinder: Covers not just MMOs, but other online games as well. Has a mixture of long videos giving detailed analysis of each game, and shorter ones offering a quick first impression. (Patreon)

Digibro: Self-described “gonzo journalist” who talks about anime. He has done a few longer reviews focusing on specific series but mostly rambles about anything anime-related that catches his interest. It’s entertaining rambling, though. (Patreon)

YourMovieSucks: Talks about terrible movies, and achieves a great balance of analysis vs. comedy. His videos are amazingly funny while also being very insightful. He sometimes talks about good movies as well. (Patreon)

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 19, 2018

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

quote:

Linkara (Louis Luvhog) ( Patreon) – Reviews (mostly superhero) comic books. He also has incredibly silly ongoing plots that he's making into a movie because of his Patreon.

Linkara made his movie like, years ago, guys!

How about - Part-time Power Ranger, half-time-lord, Pokemon Trainer, Wizard and actual space ship owner defends the world from threats from this dimension and beyond. Occasionally talks about comic books. (Be careful not to mic him up with his evil robot double - that guy is a jerk.)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Linkara (Louis Luvhog) - Wears a fedora.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Bakeneko posted:

Some more:

Phelous: Does comedic reviews of horror movies, low-budget cartoons and bootleg action figures. Notable for covering many films from the infamously horrible Dingo Pictures, which have to be seen to be believed. (Patreon)

(Yeah I know he’s already on there but he deserves his own blurb)

Film Brain: A movie reviewer from the early days of TGWTG. Has slowed down in recent years but still has a massive back catalogue of hilarious videos. He also does shorter videos focusing on more recent releases. (Patreon)

Infamous Sphere: Though now retired from the internet critic game, she focused on two rarely-covered niches: queer films and period dramas, so check out her videos if you’re at all interested in either subject.

RedLetterMedia: Originally known for their epic-length takedowns of the Star Wars prequels. Nowadays they mostly laugh at ultra-low-budget films in their “best of the worst” series as well as analyzing more recent releases on “half in the bag”. (Patreon)

Lost In Adaptation: Covers a specific type of film: ones that have been adapted from books, and his reviews focus on the changes made to the source material as well as how the adaptation as a whole worked out. Has done series covering the entire Harry Potter and Hunger Games series, along with many others. (Patreon)

MMO Grinder: Covers not just MMOs, but other online games as well. Has a mixture of long videos giving detailed analysis of each game, and shorter ones offering a quick first impression. (Patreon)

Digibro: Self-described “gonzo journalist” who talks about anime. He has done a few longer reviews focusing on specific series but mostly rambles about anything anime-related that catches his interest. It’s entertaining rambling, though. (Patreon)

YourMovieSucks: Talks about terrible movies, and achieves a great balance of analysis vs. comedy. His videos are amazingly funny while also being very insightful. He sometimes talks about good movies as well. (Patreon)

Sphere stopped making videos. :(
But yeah just binge her back catalogue.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I keep wanting to add more, dammit.

ChessNetwork (Patreon) - Chess games and analysis. Some of YouTube's most chilled content. Jerry is a self-taught National Master and, dammit, even if his videos feature nothing but a recreation of a chessboard, he's so drat good at explaining the games, all the different moves and so on. He's great to actually watch play too, and comes into his own with live coverage of any World Championship...really good. Hard to recommend a specific video because they're all kinda similar - just watch whatever his latest is and enjoy. Makes good background noise.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Benne posted:

This thread needs way more wrestling love

Wrestling With Wregret (Patreon) -- A mix of reviewing current shows, retrospectives, and Top 8 lists. Notable for Brian Zane being a former wrestler/manager himself, so he brings a unique perspective to things.

Brian still manages; that's why he sometimes posts these little two minute videos since they're promos for hyping shows that he's managing on.

englerp
Oct 13, 2011
Pixelmusement: Reviews mainly old Dos games along with explanations how to get them legally (If possible) and how to run them optimally. Also has an ongoing series where he goes through an old shovelware CD-ROM.

edit: I just noticed: It's Pixelmusement not Pixelmuseum. I honestly always read it as the latter.

englerp fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 19, 2018

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Seems I'll be plenty busy, keep them coming. :)

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

financially racist posted:

he isn't on that list for criticizing nintendo, he's on it for being really loving dumb in his criticisms of them and others.

like, that subnautica video is just embarrassing. doubly so because there's a shitton to talk about with subnautica, in fact i've been strongly considering getting into game criticism videos by starting with a video discussing subnautica and a certain subset of the 'hardcore gaming' crowd because there's a lot just about that one subject to talk about relating to subnautica. instead he just focuses on things that seem pedantic and nitpicky for almost the entire video.

I don’t agree that his criticisms of Subnautica were bad, but you should do that! Mostly because I think goons should take over the YouTube criticism scene entirely. :getin:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Going through my Youtube subs...

The 8-bit Guy: Restores and reviews 1980s computers and computer accessories mainly. Also has a second channel called 8-bit Keys where he reviews toy, amateur, and semi-professional synthesizer keyboards mostly from that same era.

Big Clive: Reviews and reverse-engineers cheap electronic junk, mostly from China by way of eBay or Poundland.

Cinema Nippon: Reviews Japanese films and tries to explain their cultural context for Western audiences.

Digital Foundaries: Professional game reviewers who do deep technical dives into both new releases and retro games.

Doug DeMuro: Reviews (mostly) unusual cars with a focus on their unique quirks and features.

May post some more later.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 19, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Linkara (Louis Luvhog) - Wears a fedora.

where'd he purchase that?

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Should Film Crit Hulk go on the list?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Conal Cochran posted:

Should Film Crit Hulk go on the list?

no

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
I think it's kinda weird that the new OP is going to be a giant unsorted list of every single internet critic, most of whom have never once been posted or discussed in all 950-odd pages of this thread.

Nobody reads those things all the way through anyway so I suppose it doesn't matter.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Acute Grill posted:

I think it's kinda weird that the new OP is going to be a giant unsorted list of every single internet critic, most of whom have never once been posted or discussed in all 950-odd pages of this thread.

Nobody reads those things all the way through anyway so I suppose it doesn't matter.

i think the discussion has turned to 'post your favorite' now

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Continuing on from my previous post:

Battle(non)sense: Reviews the network code of multiplayer games. Ever wonder why you got shot even though you were totally behind cover? This guy will explain.

Oddity Archive: Reviews vintage (mainly 1950s through 1990s) media and A/V equipment.

PhilsComputerLab: Reviews 90s and 2000s computer components, and occasionally newer products.

Mike Jeavons (MikeJ): Has several different shows going on. He was originally known for Shameful Sequels, a series focused on bad film sequels (his best is probably his Baby Geniuses 2 (sadly seems missing from Youtube), 3 and 4 reviews, the latter of which feature people who actually worked on the film). His other series are A Week On where he tries a fad (or just unusual) diet for a week and vlogs about his experiences and a series called Informertialism where he reviews "as-seen-on-TV" products.

Rantasmo: Produces short reviews of queer media and general media from a queer perspective.

SummoningSalt: Produces retrospectives on video game speedrun record progressions.

The Mysterious Mr. Enter: Reviews animation (mostly western) with a focus on both the best (Admirable Animation) and worst (Animated Atrocities). He has some strange opinions/obsessions so he can get a bit tedious at times if you don't share them (and you probably don't).

Acute Grill posted:

Yeah, at the very least the list should be categorized by the general type of thing each channel focuses on to give the list some semblance of structure.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 19, 2018

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yeah I'd be into a categorized OP, for those times when you're like "I am in the mood for some new content about video games/movies/old synthesizers, what is available?"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Rantasmo hasn’t done a video in a while. I hope he’s ok.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
All I can say is I like LGR, because he talks about weird soundcards and loves The Sims.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

What issues do people have with Film Crit Hulk? I mean, I have my own as well, I just want to hear some other people's spicy takes.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Acute Grill posted:

Sometimes new reviewers get lost in the days long derails and CD discussions. Personally I would appreciate a list that I can go to and see all of the neat creators I might have missed the first time around. :shrug:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I am for sure going to sort the list, cause i hate giant infodumps myself. :v:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Conal Cochran posted:

What issues do people have with Film Crit Hulk? I mean, I have my own as well, I just want to hear some other people's spicy takes.

Lose the gimmick, its obnoxious and gets in the way of the insightful commentary because on the internet apparently you need to have some wacky hook that gets old after two seconds.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

khwarezm posted:

Lose the gimmick, its obnoxious and gets in the way of the insightful commentary because on the internet apparently you need to have some wacky hook that gets old after two seconds.

Do you mean the all caps hulk speech gimmick? Because they have lost that.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

an overdue owl posted:

HAVE HULK OR DO PUNY HUMAN BRAIN JUST GET USED TO READING HULK AND DON'T EVEN NOTICE IT ANYMORE?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Conal Cochran posted:

For me he's in the vein of: online personality whose thoughts on a movie not only go unchallenged, but also get parroted without any sort of interesting insight being offered

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

an overdue owl posted:

So he's Film Crit Mr Fixit now?

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

The main thing about Film Crit Hulk is that he seems to view and present himself as a stepping stone to deeper level film criticism. (His explanation for the gimmick is the incredibly questionable notion that it makes it more accessible and seem less snooty.)

His articles would be significantly shorter if he didn't feel the need to explain so many little things to his audience. This is mixed with kind of grating self aggrandizing statements about how much he knows and understands about films. His Man of Steel article, THE IMPORTANCE OF DRAMATIZING CHARACTER is a good example of this. "IT SOUNDS SILLY, BUT HULK SPENDS ALL DAY THINKING ABOUT STORIES." Or in his Kingsman article where he feels the need to tell us that this all occurred naturally to him on his first viewing. Or sometimes needlessly bringing up that he works in the industry. I don't understand why a film critic feels the need to constantly assert that they have a solid understanding of film. Your mechanic doesn't keep reminding you that they know a lot about cars.

He also seems to take a weird amount of pride in the length of his articles, as if that length is necessarily representative of depth. The best example of this has to be an article he made where he provides a list of book recommendations. He lists 136 books. If you can't even bother to chisel that down to at least 100, I have to wonder what you are trying to prove. Do you think people will set that entire list to memory? That they'll write it down or print it out? Did you consider that maybe if you made a shorter list those books listed would have more impact and people would be more likely to remember them? Maybe making an article titled, A List of Every Book I Really Liked didn't have the same ring to it.

He writes some solid articles, but he has some quirks he needs to work out.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

corn in the bible posted:

All I can say is I like LGR, because he talks about weird soundcards and loves The Sims.

i need to stop watching lgr before i buy or build a fuckin 386

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

an overdue owl posted:

Oh OK, guess i should actually check these things before I comment.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

lornekates posted:

HAVE HULK OR DO PUNY HUMAN BRAIN JUST GET USED TO READING HULK AND DON'T EVEN NOTICE IT ANYMORE?

internet critic Stockholm syndrome is honestly a real and present danger so good point

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I would probably like Film Crit Hulk if he edited his essays to be much shorter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Todd has a new Trainwreckords out, featuring MC Hammer's infamous pivot to gangsta rap https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB1gGUKK7jg

• Locked thread