Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Weird: Serbia and Kosovo are slowing down electric clocks by dicking with the European power grid.

https://www.platts.com/latest-news/electric-power/london/kosovo-serbia-imbalance-impacting-european-system-26903978
https://thenextweb.com/eu/2018/03/06/electric-clocks-europe-running-slow-month/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words

steinrokkan posted:

The current government is a bizarre alliance of a billionaire and the Communist Party that keeps him from being voted out. So it leads to bizarre trading of favours, like a Communist politician with a "storied" history getting significant posts in the security apparatus.

But as for the broader question - yes, state officials have to go through a clearance process that screens them for ties to the Communist regime. However, this guy is an MP who was elected to his position as an internal affairs chief by the Parliament, and as such is not subject to such scrutiny, afaik.

Wow thanks. I wonder why the reasons for such bizarre alliances and the kinds of people getting elected? The ending of European funding?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Karmalis posted:

Wow thanks. I wonder why the reasons for such bizarre alliances and the kinds of people getting elected? The ending of European funding?

Communists are the only party* eager to work with ANO, the largest party, and its leader, Mr. Babiš, (who won thanks to a populist wave and thanks to his dominance of the nation's media) because they have nothing to lose, and it's their first opportunity to break out of isolation since 1989. Meanwhile Babiš, although he was member of the previous government coalition, is hated by the traditional parties, and needs all the allies he can get. Also it helps that Babiš and his dumb party form an amorphous blob of political beliefs so they have no natural enemies or allies, only those they antagonize or befriend through cynical power grabs.

*formerly it looked like ANO would also be friendly with the other, much more xenophobic populist party, but now they seem to be angling for a "leftist" approach. Of course our neighbour's "leftist" PM is currently showing off what that could mean, with his paranoid Soros screeds and ties to organized crime.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 7, 2018

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

steinrokkan posted:

Of course our neighbour's "leftist" PM is currently showing off what that could mean, with his paranoid Soros screeds and ties to organized crime.

It appears that our PM has decided that the only way to remain in power is to go full Orbán. He started accusing the president and the opposition of planning a coup. The marches of last Friday, which saw some 20000 people in Bratislava (according to organizers), were organized as memorial for the murdered journalist. However, the next wave of demonstrations are called on this Friday, with the explicit call for the PM to recall the Interior Minister at least, and step down preferably.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
"Since mid-January Europe's huge synchronized high voltage electricity network, stretching from Spain to Turkey and from Poland to Netherlands,"

That seems like a really weird choice for describing the extent of the system. From Portugal to Romania and from Denmark to Algeria seems like a better way to get across the size of the system the two are loving with. Well, perhaps more accurately, just failing to properly interface with.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

:allears:

Is Norway's Aftenposten a serious newspaper? Duda is just one of Kaczyński's Boyars, not a dictator like the list suggests.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I think it's their major newspaper, pretty weird.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A Buttery Pastry posted:

"Since mid-January Europe's huge synchronized high voltage electricity network, stretching from Spain to Turkey and from Poland to Netherlands,"

That seems like a really weird choice for describing the extent of the system. From Portugal to Romania and from Denmark to Algeria seems like a better way to get across the size of the system the two are loving with. Well, perhaps more accurately, just failing to properly interface with.

Yeah, the network is quite a bit bigger than one would expect.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

alex314 posted:

:allears:

Is Norway's Aftenposten a serious newspaper? Duda is just one of Kaczyński's Boyars, not a dictator like the list suggests.

Duda is not aging well

Unstoppabro
Jan 2, 2014

"Quote of the day: Russian Patriarch is a second-rate KGB cop"

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah, the network is quite a bit bigger than one would expect.

That map shows more than just the continental european synchronized net. This is a better map to show what countries are affected:

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_area_synchronous_grid#/media/File:ElectricityUCTE.svg)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

"Europe today is a powder keg and the leaders are like men smoking in an arsenal ... A single spark will set off on explosion that will consume us all! ... I can not tell you when that explosion will occur, but I can tell you where ... Some damned foolish thing in the balkans wants set it off!" - Otto von Bismarck

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

catfry posted:

That map shows more than just the continental european synchronized net. This is a better map to show what countries are affected:

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_area_synchronous_grid#/media/File:ElectricityUCTE.svg)

So Denmark has two separate grids?

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

OddObserver posted:

So Denmark has two separate grids?

Sort of. There's also several HVDC links that tie parts of it together, but the sync domains are still separate.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Sort of. There's also several HVDC links that tie parts of it together, but the sync domains are still separate.
Yeah, this actually causes some issues occasionally - especially since the Swedes and Germans really like shutting down their connections to Denmark to protect their own producers when Danish windmills are being extra productive. Those connections aren't anywhere near as solid as they should be either though, so you get the inverse occasionally too, with prices soaring to 50 times the regular price because local power plants don't bother starting up and we can't get enough power from our international connections. In conclusion, Denmark is a land of contrasts.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
^^^ None of that is related to borders between synchronous domains I think. The map cat mattress posted show all the connections, some have a lot of capacity, others less, but in many cases there are stronger connections between two regions with no synchronicity than there are between areas ostensibly in the same synchronous area.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

catfry posted:

^^^ None of that is related to borders between synchronous domains I think. The map cat mattress posted show all the connections, some have a lot of capacity, others less, but in many cases there are stronger connections between two regions with no synchronicity than there are between areas ostensibly in the same synchronous area.
Not gonna claim to be an expert on this, but I wonder; do connections between domains require more maintenance? Because that's what really seems to gently caress us up, since it prevents even internal balancing of power.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Not an expert either. As far as I know, connections between different domains are always via a DC connection. These require converter stations to convert the current to AC. I suppose these can be fairly large and complex, and perhaps more maintenance prone.
But when talking about the Danish network, I guess one source of imbalance can be that the connection across the Great Belt has a maximum capacity of 400 MW. I guess Copenhagen in the east is the biggest energy sink, and probably the most wind power is generated in wind farms beyond the shores of Jutland in the western zone, so I could imagine some situations where there is generated a lot of power that cannot get across the Belt to the users. Upgrading the Great Belt connection would be a solution.

I have read about similar balancing issues between Germany and Poland, and in that case it is definitely a capacity issue, not a synchronicity issue.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

catfry posted:

I guess Copenhagen in the east is the biggest energy sink, and probably the most wind power is generated in wind farms beyond the shores of Jutland in the western zone, so I could imagine some situations where there is generated a lot of power that cannot get across the Belt to the users. Upgrading the Great Belt connection would be a solution.
Yeah, you're spot on here. Was a major point of contention actually, since people in western Jutland were/are paying the transit cost of power going to Copenhagen, simply because it happens to pass through their area of the grid first. AFAIK, they are actually also planning to build another connection, to increase capacity and make maintenance much less of an issue.

catfry posted:

I have read about similar balancing issues between Germany and Poland, and in that case it is definitely a capacity issue, not a synchronicity issue.
Really wish the EU would get off its rear end on this issue and create a proper pan-European energy system, just seems so dumb and wasteful to have some countries producing more than they need while others close their doors to cheap (or free) electricity only to burn like the shittiest coal or whatever. (Though this one probably applies to both Germany and Poland :v:)

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Really wish the EU would get off its rear end on this issue and create a proper pan-European energy system, just seems so dumb and wasteful to have some countries producing more than they need while others close their doors to cheap (or free) electricity only to burn like the shittiest coal or whatever. (Though this one probably applies to both Germany and Poland :v:)

It's kinda slowly in motion for some time, but it's a disheartening tug of war between European Commission throwing high concepts around and power grid operators throwing a fit over how half of them are technically or physically impossible, all underscored by varying degrees of national interest.

It sure doesn't help power grids are really complex systems in of themselves.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUh9pThGdm4

Here's the sequel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95VTlKr6pZs

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
That thumbs down ratio. Haven't seen something expressed that strongly in a while. Seems like vova isn't that popular on YouTube.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This Savchekno case over terror act planning indictment is getting real ugly.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
6 more years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4-tZqYzh84

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

What does it say on 1:21 - 1:24.

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What does it say on 1:21 - 1:24.

video posted:

...apparently, the communist party upheld Russia...

Not sure about the meaning though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Karmalis posted:

Not sure about the meaning though.

So I didn't mishear, huh.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

They say that they just got the 1990 results and that the communists won... in 1987 news

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Congratulations, Vova, for your totally unsurprising electoral victory :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UFIQamKbjg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxrMCQUwCRQ

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
there's a whole twatter of those: https://twitter.com/Gulay_Pole

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
lol, why have camers at your polling stations if this is the level of sabotage you choose.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

lol, why have camers at your polling stations if this is the level of sabotage you choose.

My favourite one is where an official walks up to the cam, obviously checks its position, and slides a bunch of balloons in front of it - just as counting begins.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Though I guess it doesn't matter how sophisticad your methods are if your people are too lazy to conceal their dirty work in the slightest.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Though I guess it doesn't matter how sophisticad your methods are if your people are too lazy to conceal their dirty work in the slightest.

Not particularly EE-related question but where the h*ck is the "soiled meat" gang tag from??

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

Not particularly EE-related question but where the h*ck is the "soiled meat" gang tag from??

I think that's a thing for donating to SA.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i think it's supposed to be one of those icecream things with something written on it :v:

and yeah, it's for donating

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
I can't wait till putin retires so we can stop having his boring right-centrism and have some crazy language reform or invasion of Kazakhstan under the CPRF or LDPR

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Congratulations, Vova, for your totally unsurprising electoral victory :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UFIQamKbjg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxrMCQUwCRQ

I have a friend monitoring with OECD, I'll try to get the inside line from him on apparent ballot stuffing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I was at my parent's place yesterday and they had a Russian-language channel on TV. Apparently the official explanation for some guy dumping a bunch of ballots in before the polls opened was that it was just the workers and cops at the polling station submitting their votes. Still supposedly they at least invalidated all these obvious cases where they got caught.

Keep in mind that it's not really necessary for them to commit any fraud for Vovan to win easily, people are frothing at their mouths to support him because Russia Stronk reasons (and a they prevented any serious opposiiton from taking off).

Also supposedly Ukraine bloked access to the embassies or wherever the elections were taking place. Not sure how I feel about that as it probably didn't achieve anything other than further pissing off Russians. Which admittedly is an admirable goal, but still.

Vladyslav Voloshyn, the Ukrainian pilot who Russia said shot down MH17 (in a Frogfoot lol) was found dead. Supposed suicide from self-inflicted gunshot wound but you never know in these cases.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43457694

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

I was at my parent's place yesterday and they had a Russian-language channel on TV. Apparently the official explanation for some guy dumping a bunch of ballots in before the polls opened was that it was just the workers and cops at the polling station submitting their votes. Still supposedly they at least invalidated all these obvious cases where they got caught.

Keep in mind that it's not really necessary for them to commit any fraud for Vovan to win easily, people are frothing at their mouths to support him because Russia Stronk reasons (and a they prevented any serious opposiiton from taking off).

Also supposedly Ukraine bloked access to the embassies or wherever the elections were taking place. Not sure how I feel about that as it probably didn't achieve anything other than further pissing off Russians. Which admittedly is an admirable goal, but still.

Vladyslav Voloshyn, the Ukrainian pilot who Russia said shot down MH17 (in a Frogfoot lol) was found dead. Supposed suicide from self-inflicted gunshot wound but you never know in these cases.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43457694

I think the point of the ballot-stuffing is not because they're afraid of losing, it's because they want to make sure that any potential boycott (for example, by Navalny supporters) looks small and unimportant. If Navalny says "boycott the election because I wasn't allowed to run" and then Putin turns around and says "actually turnout was up 2% from last time" Navalny looks ineffectual and unpopular. It's to prevent what happened with Hungary's 2016 referendum, where instead of campaigning for the "No" side Hungary's opposition told their voters to just stay home and in the end the vote was 98% for Yes but turnout was so low that the result was invalidated.