Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

80s James Hetfield posted:

It was on camera yesterday at 11-2 (and got destroyed) so it's either good, or it's really bad and just had a good showing in this tournament when SB's were focusing on actual meta decks

The player was so bad that he forgot his creatures had haste 3 times in the match. He also forgot about the legion loyalist battalion trigger and let it trade with a snapcaster.

To be fair, I don't think he would have won anyways because his opponent had about as optimal of hands as he could have for the matchup. Deck is very decent though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

8 whack is really fun to play to boot. You haven't lived until you double goblin grenade your opponent to death.

I'm on a losing streak in Modern right now and tempted to sell out a bunch of cards and just go back to playing 8-Whack again, because even if I lose I'll at least be able to play Goblins again. Plus it'd give me an excuse to get my Guides back...

On a similar note, I played a Modern version of Kuldotha Red a few years back and got off a 20-damage swing on turn 2. That was totally rad.

E: Would I be crazy for trying Hazoret as a fun-of in Whack? I had a singleton Hellrider that put in work when I did manage to draw it.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Extremely uninteresting trip report from my first actual modern event.

It was a 40 person tournament at a LGS near me. Through the help of some of the really helpful regulars, I was able to put together a tuned 8-whack deck in order to play. I didn't really have the opportunity to jam more than a few games with it ahead of time, but since the deck is mostly just all out aggro I figure that didn't really make too much of a difference. Turns out I was wrong!

Match 1 was against some sort of U/R control deck. I suspect that there were a few play mistakes that could've let me edge out a win here, but mostly they were pretty minor so I'm not sure.

I lost the first game pretty handily, I had a hand full of winning cards between all the gobbos and the ones I could pay surge on in order to buff and give haste, but was unable to draw anything over 2 lands meaning I couldn't really make any explosive plays. My opponent started the game by playing the 0/4 ice wall, I decided that rather than let it block each turn I'd trade a goblin token + grenade to get rid of the problem immediately. That might have ultimately been the wrong call, but either way I got stuck on two lands and my opponent played 4 snapcasters for removal over the next few turns so I didn't really get that much further.

Game 2 went in my favor. I got 3 lands on curve and managed to just explode him down by turn 4, whereas he just didn't have enough removal to stop me. Pretty standard 8 whack game really.

Game 3 was a bit rough for me. I had an absolutely incredible hand with all the pieces I needed to win... and he had two 0/4 ice walls in his hand plus a whole bunch of instants to slow me down just enough to flip them combined with using them to block early. I got him down to around 6, but couldn't find the burn I needed to close out the game.

Match 2 was against a durdly U/R burn deck. It was kinda a sweet brew with a bunch of tap to deal damage untap when you cast spells wizards, but honestly there's not much to write about. I won by turn 4 each game, then we played a 3rd and I won by turn 4 again sooo

I don't actually remember my opponent for Match 3, again he just didn't have the removal or disruption and I killed him by turn 4 each game. Not terribly exciting!

Match 3 was a really, really good set. I also completely punted away the 3rd game, with my inexperience with the deck really being the star of the show. Ironically, had I made the right play there I would've possibly made Top 8, so it's extra brutal. My opponent was playing the meta humans deck, which also seems pretty sweet tbh.

Game 1 he managed to jam up the board pretty quickly. I had him to around 6, but unfortunately he'd used one of his reflect wizards or whatever they're called to name lightning bolt, and I was sitting on two lightning bolts when he won.

Game 2 I had an extremely fast hand, and managed to curve out and get him to 5 before he jammed the board. I was then able to stall by trading gobbos until I drew a grenade, which killed him.

Game 3 was ridiculously close. My first mistake was miscounting Thalia + blood moon's cost, which meant I couldn't lock him out of his lands on turns 3 and he knew I had the blood moon. He then played the reflect wizard naming blood moon, OOPS. I still managed to grind him down to 7 with a pretty fast hand, then the thalia's captains started coming down and buffing each other. He played a second reflect wizard naming goblin grenade, which stopped me from closing out with a goblin grenade + bolt or something. I then proceeded to draw my OTHER blood moon, leaving those the only two cards in my hand. One of the captains eventually got up to 7/8, with the other 2 not far behind and a whole lot of humans gumming up the board.

I took damage where I could, ultimately getting down to 5 health and continuing to run out my goblins looking for a numbers advantage that I could use to power through for a win. I had two piledrivers in play, and we were both up to 8 creatures. I played two gobbos and passed, since I couldn't kill due to summoning sickness and his backswing would kill me. He swung with his team, I was able to block both wizards with piledrivers, saving them. I left the smaller captain unblocked, which he was able to buff up to 4 which left me at 1 with the board: Goblin Guide and two piledrivers with his one blocker. Here's the biggest punt I've made in magic in a long time. I didn't attack, thinking he'd be stuck at 1. If I had actually attacked and properly done the math, I would've been able to swing for exactly 7 damage that he couldn't block and winning me the game.

Match 4 was versus some sort of G/B control-ish reanimator deck featuring a bunch of life gain. I was definitely a little tilted going into it, as I had basically punted myself out of the top 8 in front of a whole lot of people, since we were the final game to be completed. I shook it off as best I could, thanks getting my rear end beat in fighting games routinely, and tried to play my best. Game 1 was pretty uneventful, I ran out of gas after drawing mountains for 3 turns and couldn't quite seal the deal.

Game 2 I drew a really fast hand and he didn't have disruption. He eventually managed to stabilize at 6, but I drew two lightning bolts to close it out.

Game 3 I had an absolute god hand, 3 land and a curve into two pump creatures and only drew more. He then proceeded to inquistion and thoughtsieze my entire hand down to just the base goblins and stalled me out. I slowly continued to whittle him down as he renimated siege rhinos to gain life. I skull cracked him while he was using a green card that allowed him to gain life while playing land, leaving him at 5 health. Unfortunately, I bricked my next draw and was unable to close the game, leaving him at 4 when he swung for lethal.

All in all, it was a ton of fun. I think I'm going to start building my favorite deck, Storm, in paper so that I can play my own thing for the next modern event. I'm definitely looking forward to it!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

qbert posted:

Given the board state, I’m 80% confidant he would’ve won that game (and the GP) had he not cast Bob.

I would’ve been 100% confident but Jund player was so bad at playing Jund he could’ve hosed it up some other way.

He played the Bob on 7, not 4 and he was out of removal. I think he 100% made the right play to give himself the best chance of casting Anger.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

C-Euro posted:

I'm on a losing streak in Modern right now and tempted to sell out a bunch of cards and just go back to playing 8-Whack again, because even if I lose I'll at least be able to play Goblins again. Plus it'd give me an excuse to get my Guides back...

On a similar note, I played a Modern version of Kuldotha Red a few years back and got off a 20-damage swing on turn 2. That was totally rad.

E: Would I be crazy for trying Hazoret as a fun-of in Whack? I had a singleton Hellrider that put in work when I did manage to draw it.

Play UW Tutelage Fog

edit: Spreading Sea is a 4 dollar common, lmao

80s James Hetfield fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 19, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
At this point I think the Jace and BBE unbans were Good Things for Modern

Now free Stoneforge

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Play UW Tutelage Fog

I did one time and have never 0-2d so quickly in my life. Round 1 was against monogreen stompy which seems like it should be a slam dunk for me and I still ended up losing somehow.

If I wanted to lose FNM while playing Mill I'd give in and buy Ensnaring Bridges for my UB Mill deck, then pray that our resident Jund guy doesn't show up.

E: Comedy option 42 Swans but with mainboard Tutelage or Lab Man.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 19, 2018

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Play UW Tutelage Fog

edit: Spreading Sea is a 4 dollar common, lmao

burning inquiry is also around 4$ now

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

TheKingofSprings posted:

Now free Stoneforge

I would agree but in afraid we can't have all of Stoneforge and Jace and Batterskull. A modern adaptation of caw blade would be too likely to be oppressive, I think

Imagine caw blade but with cryptic and terminus and better draw spells. lol

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

sit on my Facebook posted:

I would agree but in afraid we can't have all of Stoneforge and Jace and Batterskull. A modern adaptation of caw blade would be too likely to be oppressive, I think

Jace already ruined modern, so

Look at that format breakdown and name a single deck Caw-Blade would be good against.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 19, 2018

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/VorthosMike/status/975525157036085248

drat

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

sit on my Facebook posted:

Imagine caw blade but with cryptic and terminus and better draw spells. lol

Neither of those cards you mentioned are even good in Modern right now

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

C-Euro posted:

I did one time and have never 0-2d so quickly in my life. Round 1 was against monogreen stompy which seems like it should be a slam dunk for me and I still ended up losing somehow.

If I wanted to lose FNM while playing Mill I'd give in and buy Ensnaring Bridges for my UB Mill deck, then pray that our resident Jund guy doesn't show up.

Wow, really? I used to put up decent results. My new LGS started doing modern with standard FNM and it's tons of aggro decks. I might throw it together again.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

TheKingofSprings posted:

Now free Stoneforge

Yes #freesfm, I want to get my rear end handed to me playing D&T in modern.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Thisuck posted:

Yes #freesfm, I want to get my rear end handed to me playing D&T in modern.

If you're playing D&T in Modern and you're not playing Stoneforge if the option's there you hosed up

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

If you're playing D&T in Modern and you're not playing Stoneforge if the option's there you hosed up

I think the "against" was implied.

Also it would still be bad. Prove me wrong, nerds. Goon league with SFM and maybe other stuff unbanned!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

I think the "against" was implied.

Also it would still be bad. Prove me wrong, nerds. Goon league with SFM and maybe other stuff unbanned!

I'm in.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Point me to all the matchups stoneforge would dominate.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

There is already a deck that puts out 4/4 artifact creatures faster in modern.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

It uh, might be good against burn if they somehow kept a hand that can't kill a 1/2 and also doesn't have any Skullcrack effects.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Modern Goon League with

Grapeshot banned

Rite of Flame unbanned
Seething Song unbanned
Ponder unbanned
Preordain unbanned
Stoneforge Mystic unbanned
Golgari Grave-Troll unbanned

imo

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

Point me to all the matchups stoneforge would dominate.

Humans and Jund, really

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

It was on camera yesterday at 11-2 (and got destroyed) so it's either good, or it's really bad and just had a good showing in this tournament when SB's were focusing on actual meta decks

I didn't see this matchup, but at the moment 8whack has the advantage over a lot of other decks, mostly some control variants and a lot of GBx variants. It's main problem is that it's a lot like burn: if you run out of gas, you're basically stuck. You are right, though, part of its strength is the idea that no one is expecting it, so they're not prepared for it even post board.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Humans and Jund, really

Yes, jund, the deck with all the creature removal and kcommand maindeck. Hell, I don't even think the humans matchup would be all that awful.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Humans and Jund, really

Imagine spending 2 whole turns cheating out a Batterskull and getting it Reflector Maged or Freebooted or K-Commanded or Fatal Pushed or Terminated or Bolt the SFM + Lili minused or

There's a reason I never get Batterskull in legacy. I've thought about cutting it so many times.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Yeah like right before the Jace and BBE unbanning, I was testing out SFM in my modern D&T deck, I went ~50% vs my friend's burn deck, I guess I improved my g1 match up by like 5%???

I just lost to Jund a lot more with BBE and KoCo cascades :/

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

C-Euro posted:

give in to the darkness and play the actual good mill deck in modern (lantern).

ruin everyone's fun at dark depths. make them despise the modern format.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
e: never mind, I was being snarky but I pretty clearly misread the original intent.

I'm still not sold that just because the unbannings haven't been a complete disaster, that they were the best thing to do for the format. The format hasn't turned into toxic waste, but it already wasn't. Jund was playable before and I can't think of a single situation where increasing the power level of already-viable midrange goodstuff value decks has been a good thing for a format in the long term.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 19, 2018

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The real unban we need is jitte

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

A big flaming stink posted:

give in to the darkness and play the actual good mill deck in modern (lantern).

ruin everyone's fun at dark depths. make them despise the modern format.

God no, I have standards but not the $800 I need for Lantern. I'll just lose with Blue Moon some more until I get the last few cards that I need for BBE Ponza.

Also I've missed the last two Modern nights at Dark Depths and will probably miss this week's as well lol. I feel bad because I like that store!

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

AnEdgelord posted:

Noooooo

PS yeah I'm actually convinced by the matchup arguments you guys are offering. Maybe it wouldn't be crazy

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

Now there’s an unban that would murder creature decks

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

free skullclamp

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AceClown posted:

free skullclamp

This crosses the line from "kept in check by koco" to "turn 2 koco or lose".

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

AceClown posted:

free skullclamp

lolno

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

free hypergenesis

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Free all Magic cards; send Magic players to the camps.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The Shortest Path posted:

Modern Goon League with

Grapeshot banned

Rite of Flame unbanned
Seething Song unbanned
Ponder unbanned
Preordain unbanned
Stoneforge Mystic unbanned
Golgari Grave-Troll unbanned

imo

You have to ban Empty the Warrens too, otherwise Storm just runs Empty + Scourge Devil to Gifts for.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hellsau posted:

You have to ban Empty the Warrens too, otherwise Storm just runs Empty + Scourge Devil to Gifts for.

I don't know that that would be strong enough to make storm oppressive, but I guess it very well could be.

I'd like the deck to still exist but in a form that doesn't warrant having a bunch of cards banned which could be played in other decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Hellsau posted:

I think it would be loving hilarious to see a Rakdos Charm out of the sideboard from Jund tell a massive Empty the Warrens stack to go gently caress itself.