Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

System Metternich posted:

Basically, throughout its history the Roman Catholic Church was for the longest time in a situation of conflict/competition with its Eastern (today's Orthodox) brethren. When the Great Schism happened and Rome decided that it alone truly represented the Church of Christ, this eventually meant that it needed to prosetylise in the East as well. Over the centuries, these missionary efforts as well as a bunch of political hijinks and other accidents of history led to the creation of 23 "sui iuris" (i.e. relatively autonomous within the ecclesiastical hierarchy) Churches that continued/adopted the various eastern liturgies as well as those theological traditions that weren't in conflict with Catholic doctrine while affirming papal supremacy, too.

The oldest sui iuris Church would be the Maronite Church which never formally severed ties with Rome and actively sought "reunification" during the Crusades; the youngest one is the Eritrean Catholic Church that was split off of the Ethiopian Catholic Church in 2015. All of them are relatively small, however, ranging from ~4.6 million members (Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church) to a mere 3,845 members (Albanian Greek Catholic Church). One of them (the Russian Greek Catholic Church) is an especially complicated case because in theory it's actually two sui iuris Churches in the form of exarchates, but they were pretty much eradicated during Communist rule in Russia and China and now only exist on paper. The approcimately 3,200 people who can be counted as members are served by a pretty wild bunch of Latin Rite priests who also celebrate in the Byzantine Rite and Russian Orthodox priests who decided that they liked the idea of a pope. They have no bishops of their own and apparently it's a bit Wild West out there with the priests celebrating in whatever rite and liturgy they like best and the connection to the Holy See being rather tenuous. All the other ones are properly working Churches of their own with hierarchy and institutions separate from the Latin Rite.

I wanted to post a chart as well, but I didn't found any good ones, sorry :(

This is very clear and concise. Thank you, it gives me a template for when I get that question again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GUNS posted:

???

I counted one at least twice in the Tridentine Rite back when I was going...

unless the priest said ego te absolvo then it wasn't an actual sacramental absolution, I'm pretty sure

form III of the rite of reconciliation is what I'm talking about

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Phlegmatist posted:

unless the priest said ego te absolvo then it wasn't an actual sacramental absolution, I'm pretty sure

form III of the rite of reconciliation is what I'm talking about

I'm pretty sure sacraments aren't magic spells that require exact words to have effect.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cythereal posted:

I'm pretty sure sacraments aren't magic spells that require exact words to have effect.
bro have you met a catholic

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Cythereal posted:

It’s not magic, but yes there are certain phrases that if they are missing make the sacrament invalid.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Mr Enderby posted:

The Anglican position is "all may, some should, none must." It's pretty common before confirmation, but otherwise rare except in high Anglo-Catholic parishes (some of which even have confessionals :monocle:).

I’ve never been a fan of that phrase, since it implies only super serious sins like adultery and murder are worth confessing.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Thirteen Orphans posted:

This is very clear and concise. Thank you, it gives me a template for when I get that question again.

So they recognize the pope and the teachings of Catholic church, but do it in whatever way they like?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

It’s not magic, but yes there are certain phrases that if they are missing make the sacrament invalid.

Why? Overt legalism and saying that it requires very specific phrases and rules to be a Christian is something Jesus specifically warned against.

HEY GUNS posted:

bro have you met a catholic

Many, and I've disagreed with all of them about certain things. :v:

But I suppose this is me being a Protestant who doesn't understand this stuff and is horrified at the idea of it. Have a baby bunny.

https://i.imgur.com/G4ZZsBp.mp4

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Why? Overt legalism and saying that it requires very specific phrases and rules to be a Christian is something Jesus specifically warned against.

If I was baptizing an adult and I said, “I baptize you in the name of the Big Man, the Earth Dweller, and the Remainer” would that person be a baptized Christian?

You say he warned against specific phrases and rules, but he specifically called for baptism in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The reason it’s not magic is because the phrases are linguistically relative to the persons using them and it isn’t the sounds that make it work, it’s acting on grace.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sleepy creatures are rapidly becoming the best part of this thread. Not a dig on the other content, it would be hard for anything to compete.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Thirteen Orphans posted:

If I was baptizing an adult and I said, “I baptize you in the name of the Big Man, the Earth Dweller, and the Remainer” would that person be a baptized Christian?

You say he warned against specific phrases and rules, but he specifically called for baptism in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The reason it’s not magic is because the phrases are linguistically relative to the persons using them and it isn’t the sounds that make it work, it’s acting on grace.

If the intent of everyone involved was serious and respectful, then yes, IMO the baptism would count regardless of the exact words spoken.

On the other hand, if they're deliberately parodying it and making fun, then no, it doesn't count.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Deteriorata posted:

If the intent of everyone involved was serious and respectful, then yes, IMO the baptism would count regardless of the exact words spoken.

On the other hand, if they're deliberately parodying it and making fun, then no, it doesn't count.

I agree. God knows our hearts and intent, and judges us accordingly.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

JcDent posted:

So they recognize the pope and the teachings of Catholic church, but do it in whatever way they like?

Not whatever way they like, it has to be approved by Rome when they are accepted. Also any Bishops raised have to be approved by the Pope.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
been seeing a lot of pro-Russia fake news on Calvinist FB groups recently. dunno what this portends.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Not whatever way they like, it has to be approved by Rome when they are accepted. Also any Bishops raised have to be approved by the Pope.

In practice, the Vatican doesn't really exercise a lot of control over the Eastern Catholic churches. All of their bishops and Canon Law changes have to be approved but unless they started doing something really weird they're mostly left to their own devices.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Tias posted:

Interestingly enough, I'm a alcoholic (no, you could tell pretty easily, but peep the following) and the 5th step of Alcoholics Anonymous is a confession: We admitted to God, ourselves and another person the exact nature of our wrongs.

When performing it, we explain to the other person( usually the sponsor) the things about other people that make us angry or fearful, with the implicit understanding that our higher powers hears as well.

It doesn't even have to be a sponsor, it can be a trusted friends.

AA has high church Christianity as a big part of its DNA. Bill and those members who were part of predecessor groups (e.g. the Oxford Group) borrowed heavily from the spirituality they came from to develop the program. There's a really good book called "Slaying The Dragon" that talks about the American experience of alcohol treatment and some of the religious figures invovled in the birth of AA.

I've often felt that the Twelve Steps are a great model of Christian faith in practice with some limitations.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
A while back I watched a lecture on youtube on an Orthodox priest's perspective on AA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th8rXD3nHAU
maybe of interest to some folks in this thread.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

been seeing a lot of pro-Russia fake news on Calvinist FB groups recently.
oh hey, putin's dudes have found calvinist facebook. god i'd like to ask one of them what they think of it all

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
uh...they do know that russia belongs to my religion, not theirs, right

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
that’s perestroika baby

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

HEY GUNS posted:

oh hey, putin's dudes have found calvinist facebook. god i'd like to ask one of them what they think of it all

So if whatever manipulation they plan backfires and Russia sees a mass conversion to calvinism, is that the best or the worst timeline? I'm honestly not certain.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Numerical Anxiety posted:

So if whatever manipulation they plan backfires and Russia sees a mass conversion to calvinism, is that the best or the worst timeline? I'm honestly not certain.

They'd probably find it too optimistic.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Tias posted:

On the subject of confessions: It seems a bit weird to keep short hours in the middle of the workday to take confession, even with a priest shortage.

Are there no liturgical exemptions that allow laypeople to hear confession from one another?

I can't speak to modern practice but I know that in Jean de Joinville's account of the Seventh Crusade he mentions soldiers confessing to each other while their siege tower was being moved into place, and there is an apocryphal story from Geoffrey Gaimar of William Rufus confessing to one of his hunting companions as he lay dying.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Not being present when most people are baptized, and not having access to baptismal records, I don't know if a given believer has been dunked or sprayed with water or what method was used or what words were said. But I am much more able to see the presence of holiness or the lack of holiness in the person as they are in the moment. That, more than records and hearsay, is the most salient evidence of the indelible mark of the Holy Spirit within a person's heart.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Deteriorata posted:

one of my favorite posts in these threads was about the UCC kids who created a soda and potato chips communion as part of a classroom exercise

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

one of my favorite posts in these threads was about the UCC kids who created a soda and potato chips communion as part of a classroom exercise

Youth Sundays can be very interesting.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Can y'all please pray for me? Poor sleep all night long with fever dreams.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pershing posted:

Can y'all please pray for me? Poor sleep all night long with fever dreams.
when i have trouble sleeping my priest prays to these people for me. I'll do the same for you.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
if the Moscow Patriarchate cites a thinker who believes that God is doomed, Christ was futile, and the rule of law is alien to certain ethnicities, then we should probably stop listening to them, if we ever did in the first place

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Is it time to revive the prayers for the conversion of Russia? :getin:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ceciltron posted:

Don't be vulgar. Even if they undertook tomorrow to scrape all the former KGB agents out of their church, it still wouldn't belong to you

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

HEY GUNS posted:

Don't be vulgar. Even if they undertook tomorrow to scrape all the former KGB agents out of their church, it still wouldn't belong to you

Trust me, I don't want it. I seek only the total consecration of Russia to the Blessed Virgin in order to circumvent nuclear war.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
even if you got rid of all the ex-kgb in the orthodox church you'd still have a largely pro-putin hierarchy in place, and you'd be hard pressed to find bishop and monk candidates who aren't these days

the day putin dies russia is going to get very dangerous, very fast, for everyone inside russia and probably outside of it as well, what with all the russian interference in western democracy that seems to be going around

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I just spent most of a week with my students at a Native American higher education conference and, uh, the general feeling is y'all can get hosed.

I mean that with no disrespect toward our Catholic posters, but many Native American groups have suffered tremendous oppression at the hands of Catholic missionaries who were granted jurisdiction by US/Canadian federal authorities.

The current Jesuit missions are excellent about preserving Native culture and language while delivering a quality education, but that absolutely wasn't the case in the boarding school period through the 1960s or so.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

I just spent most of a week with my students at a Native American higher education conference and, uh, the general feeling is y'all can get hosed.

I mean that with no disrespect toward our Catholic posters, but many Native American groups have suffered tremendous oppression at the hands of Catholic missionaries who were granted jurisdiction by US/Canadian federal authorities.

The current Jesuit missions are excellent about preserving Native culture and language while delivering a quality education, but that absolutely wasn't the case in the boarding school period through the 1960s or so.

what the gently caress does this have to do with the orthodox church

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

I don't feel disrespected. In the end, everything will be brought into the light. In the meantime, we must not get in the way of remembering past atrocities, which is done to ignore current catastrophes.

I hope you'll have mercy on us who ask for it, including me.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GUNS posted:

what the gently caress does this have to do with the orthodox church

not all liturgical christians

tho no for real what’s the tea on russian missionaries up north i am not familiar with them at all

EDIT; http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/russian/s1a.html preliminary research suggests positive results but this seems to be an overview and not from the indigenous perspective

Senju Kannon fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 20, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Pershing posted:

AA has high church Christianity as a big part of its DNA. Bill and those members who were part of predecessor groups (e.g. the Oxford Group) borrowed heavily from the spirituality they came from to develop the program. There's a really good book called "Slaying The Dragon" that talks about the American experience of alcohol treatment and some of the religious figures invovled in the birth of AA.

I've often felt that the Twelve Steps are a great model of Christian faith in practice with some limitations.

Yeah, exactly. Thankfully, it has become succesfully incorporating of atheists, agnostics and other faiths (I made it through with my pagan animism intact, for example), but there are clear Oxford baggage still, even if it has been heavily modified through the years.

AA is a great model of all faith, in my opinion. It recognizes first and foremost that the spiritual individual is suffering and imperfect, but still okay and deserving of boundless love and grace, maintains that building spiritual discipline and practice is important to becoming a better version of yourself, and stresses the benefits of joining communities of faith without forcing you into rigid organizations.

Limitations, well, I wouldn't call them christian limitations as much as, um, natural limitations on what you can expect when you cram millions of alcoholic egos together and expect them cooperate :)

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Senju Kannon posted:

not all liturgical christians

tho no for real what’s the tea on russian missionaries up north i am not familiar with them at all

EDIT; http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/russian/s1a.html preliminary research suggests positive results but this seems to be an overview and not from the indigenous perspective
Everything I've read suggests a fairly positive experience, since the missionaries by and large seem to have preferred translating Orthodoxy into native languages and culture, rather than forcing it on them. They modeled their whole effort on Sts. Cyril and Methodius, who evangelized the Slavs. That said, my reading consists almost entirely of Orthodox Alaska by Fr. Michael Oleksa and an interview with the current bishop, David of Sitka. When I visited St. Innocent Cathedral in Anchorage last year, I mentioned that I'd read Oleksa's book (I finished it during that trip), and one parishioner recommended Memory Eternal by Sergei Kan, which looks more scholarly and thorough, though it focuses mostly on the Tlingit point of view.

By all accounts, though, the Orthodox missionaries were heavenly compared to the American Presbyterians.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 20, 2018

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GUNS posted:

uh...they do know that russia belongs to my religion, not theirs, right

russia, who banned evangelization outside of church and keeps closing down non-orthodox churches specifically to keep protestants out of the country, will have a very special place prepared for protestants when they usher in the third rome.

(it is in the gulag.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Ceciltron posted:

We stopped? :confused:

• Locked thread