Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

If you're gonna do up an OP here's a cursory updated list of Goon Approved Internet Critics for you / hastily copied OP from this thread:

Former Video Anime Reviewer Jesu Otaku is now writing text articles at Anime News Network under his real name (Jacob Chapman).

I did wonder the other day what happened to Jacob. I'm not much of a fan of anime but I know he used to post here but something went down and he scrubbed his content. I'm glad they're still doing something though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Acute Grill posted:

I think it's kinda weird that the new OP is going to be a giant unsorted list of every single internet critic, most of whom have never once been posted or discussed in all 950-odd pages of this thread.

Well then I guess I'll post Gigguk's newest video where he talks about mecha for 20 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6OHVrQ5tcw

Honestly, probably one of his best videos.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

bessantj posted:

I did wonder the other day what happened to Jacob. I'm not much of a fan of anime but I know he used to post here but something went down and he scrubbed his content. I'm glad they're still doing something though.

That fella who was doing the review of channel awesome critics kicked off alarm bells for a number of content producers because of the horrendous YouTube following the guy had. Jacob took down his videos until things blew over but never put them back up as far as I know.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Well then I guess I'll post Gigguk's newest video where he talks about mecha for 20 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6OHVrQ5tcw

Honestly, probably one of his best videos.

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSKLKDkWyqg&t=530s

could you not link insane lesbophobes who make my skin crawl. thank you.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Acute Grill posted:

I think it's kinda weird that the new OP is going to be a giant unsorted list of every single internet critic, most of whom have never once been posted or discussed in all 950-odd pages of this thread.

Nobody reads those things all the way through anyway so I suppose it doesn't matter.

For me the point of the forum discussion is to bring up videos an have them discussed and then judge from the discussion if it's worth viewing.

I guess it will be nice to have a 100 reviewer list to view in order to find new content. God knows I'm not going to find them otherwise as youtube's matching feature is useless and anyone can upload anything.

But maybe this supports Kim Justice's point that people are afraid to bring up new names for discussion if there were this many critics people want to be in the OP but were not posting in the thread, maybe not out of some political thing but because the thread's reception could improve in some way.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

preeeetty sure that bit was about mocking the insane amount of queerbaiting in anime

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 19, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

That fella who was doing the review of channel awesome critics kicked off alarm bells for a number of content producers because of the horrendous YouTube following the guy had. Jacob took down his videos until things blew over but never put them back up as far as I know.

Thank god that blew over. The only thing I ever heard of it was the first video announcing the series. Unless it’s still going on, but it never got any mention anywhere that I read on twitter, even.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

So that was the reason. I'm glad that they have an outlet for their work. It seems that there's an archive channel with 420 (nice) of JOs videos on there, hopefully with his blessing.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

business hammocks posted:

Thank god that blew over. The only thing I ever heard of it was the first video announcing the series. Unless it’s still going on, but it never got any mention anywhere that I read on twitter, even.

Metokur's TGWTG series is finished and was pretty much eh. There wasn't a whole lot there that everyone doesn't already know, along with some stuff that was pretty much just unverified bollocks and theories. Only reason he did it was because his Patrons chucked enough cash his way...like, the Doug and Spoony videos are ok if you want quick summaries of them I guess? There is some Metokur stuff that's worth watching if you want to know about the VERY worst of the Internet but most of TGWTG's current and ex-creators aren't that and the lack of interest kinda shows.

I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to do a video summarising all of the current happenings (pretty much everyone's united on the douchiness of Mike and the Walkers) but at the moment he's just started a big series on MRA's.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

preeeetty sure that bit was about mocking the insane amount of queerbaiting in anime

Personally speaking, I use Devilman Crybaby chum to get my catch.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Kim Justice posted:

There is some Metokur stuff that's worth watching

Second-hand with adblockers on and probably not even then really.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

Metokur's TGWTG series is finished and was pretty much eh. There wasn't a whole lot there that everyone doesn't already know, along with some stuff that was pretty much just unverified bollocks and theories. Only reason he did it was because his Patrons chucked enough cash his way...like, the Doug and Spoony videos are ok if you want quick summaries of them I guess? There is some Metokur stuff that's worth watching if you want to know about the VERY worst of the Internet but most of TGWTG's current and ex-creators aren't that and the lack of interest kinda shows.

I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to do a video summarising all of the current happenings (pretty much everyone's united on the douchiness of Mike and the Walkers) but at the moment he's just started a big series on MRA's.

Since it apparently needs to be brought up every single time before it sinks in: Metokur is a literal professional harasser whose paying fanbase largely consists of KiwiFarms and 8chan bottom feeders who deliberately spreads misinformation to whip up mobs and stir up traffic. It's his entire business model. Hashtag he made the video that kicked GamerGate into high gear jesus christ how does that not sink in. #hemadethevideothatkickedGamerGateintohighgearjesuschristhowdoesthatnotsinkin.

Also it's funny, Kim, that you're the first person to say "pump the brakes on accusations" when spitting out unsubstantiated accusation of pedophilia is something Jim does all the goddamn time.

Jesus, gently caress, for the love of christ stop softball running defence for this shithead.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Augus posted:

Problem was, he did it about Flip Flappers, a show that seriously engaged with anime’s (and Japanese society’s) treatment of lesbians.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Hemingway To Go! posted:

But maybe this supports Kim Justice's point that people are afraid to bring up new names for discussion if there were this many critics people want to be in the OP but were not posting in the thread, maybe not out of some political thing but because the thread's reception could improve in some way.

Eh, new people and vids get brought up all the time, they're just usually drowned out by the derail du jour.

I don't feel especially afraid to bring up anyone I think is interesting, myself.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Can we put KOGaming in the new OP? He is gonna update soon, I can feel it! He made a video about big changes coming in 6 months ago!

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Puppy Time posted:

I don't feel especially afraid to bring up anyone I think is interesting, myself.

I think MovieBob can be interesting sometimes, but I don't bring him up because most people in the thread seem to hate him.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

FoldableHuman posted:

Since it apparently needs to be brought up every single time before it sinks in: Metokur is a literal professional harasser whose paying fanbase largely consists of KiwiFarms and 8chan bottom feeders who deliberately spreads misinformation to whip up mobs and stir up traffic. It's his entire business model. Hashtag he made the video that kicked GamerGate into high gear jesus christ how does that not sink in. #hemadethevideothatkickedGamerGateintohighgearjesuschristhowdoesthatnotsinkin.

Also it's funny, Kim, that you're the first person to say "pump the brakes on accusations" when spitting out unsubstantiated accusation of pedophilia is something Jim does all the goddamn time.

Jesus, gently caress, for the love of christ stop softball running defence for this shithead.

Please let me know how I was defending him exactly? People wanted to know what the state of play was with those videos, and I explained the general outcome/fallout that in the end it amounted to jack poo poo. Like, sorry if I didn't also add that he's a shithead on top of that - I really don't care what people think of Jim and don't have any dog in influencing opinions on him. The guy largely makes videos about people like Terry Davis and Nick Bate ferchrissake - he swims with the freaking degenerates.

I like you Dan, but you have a very bad habit of teeing the hell off at people for the faintest percieved transgression that doesn't fit in with your own worldview and I kinda wish you wouldn't do it.

EDIT: Also frankly I'm not going to bring up GG in the context of everyone who played a part in it for or against because it's freaking 2018, not 2014. Would you like it if people constantly did that to you?

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 19, 2018

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Augus posted:

Yep, that’s exactly what it was.

Darth Walrus posted:

Problem was, he did it about Flip Flappers, a show that seriously engaged with anime’s (and Japanese society’s) treatment of lesbians.
But did they actually kiss? The point is that anime will frequently hint at these kinds of subjects or use allegory but will stop short of making it explicit the way they would with a heterosexual romance.

Maybe you didn't like the jokey style in which he made his point. I can see that. I mean, it is a serious subject and you could argue that it needs to be discussed seriously, but calling him homophobic is a big leap.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

FoldableHuman posted:

I was trying to keep it lighter but yeah pretty much all of that, guy's a bastard and deserves to be forgotten, barring only that they were a bastard.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Screw it, whatever

"that was 2014"

FoldableHuman fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 19, 2018

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

I was trying to keep it lighter but yeah pretty much all of that, guy's a bastard and deserves to be forgotten, barring only that they were a bastard.

Not the easiest thing to do when in the end they are pretty influential on the scene. Like, you get some folk who hang on to the guy's every word.

But hey I'm never not curious and like to know as much of what's going on as possible even in the poo poo world, so meh. I certainly wouldn't watch anything of his without a blocker, lol.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Kim Justice posted:

Please let me know how I was defending him exactly? People wanted to know what the state of play was with those videos, and I explained the general outcome/fallout that in the end it amounted to jack poo poo. Like, sorry if I didn't also add that he's a shithead on top of that - I really don't care what people think of Jim and don't have any dog in influencing opinions on him.

I mean, you're talking about his videos as though they're something cool for a casual atrocity tourism watch:

Kim Justice posted:

Metokur's TGWTG series is finished and was pretty much eh. There wasn't a whole lot there that everyone doesn't already know, along with some stuff that was pretty much just unverified bollocks and theories. . . . like, the Doug and Spoony videos are ok if you want quick summaries of them I guess? There is some Metokur stuff that's worth watching if you want to know about the VERY worst of the Internet but most of TGWTG's current and ex-creators aren't that and the lack of interest kinda shows.

It may not be defending, but it sure as poo poo ain't pointing the dude out as a brigader.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

I like you Dan, but you have a very bad habit of teeing the hell off at people for the faintest percieved transgression that doesn't fit in with your own worldview and I kinda wish you wouldn't do it.

Says person who had multi-day-long meltdown that nearly got this thread closed once already and percipitated a change in modertors over the faintest of critisims directed at them :rolleyes:

But I digress...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

Yep, that’s exactly what it was.

But did they actually kiss? The point is that anime will frequently hint at these kinds of subjects or use allegory but will stop short of making it explicit the way they would with a heterosexual romance.

Maybe you didn't like the jokey style in which he made his point. I can see that. I mean, it is a serious subject and you could argue that it needs to be discussed seriously, but calling him homophobic is a big leap.

They didn’t kiss, but they did make it transparently obvious what their relationship was. There’s actually quite a lot of heterosexual romance anime where the main couple don’t kiss - Spice and Wolf, Hyouka, and MMO Junkie come to mind. Japan just ain’t as big on PDAs as America, and it’s generally not wise to use ‘but they didn’t kiss’ as your sole criterion for evaluating whether a romance is serious or queerbait.

That said, one of the other shows he references, Izetta, does have the main couple kiss, sooo...

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kim Justice posted:

Please let me know how I was defending him exactly? People wanted to know what the state of play was with those videos, and I explained the general outcome/fallout that in the end it amounted to jack poo poo. Like, sorry if I didn't also add that he's a shithead on top of that - I really don't care what people think of Jim and don't have any dog in influencing opinions on him. The guy largely makes videos about people like Terry Davis and Nick Bate ferchrissake - he swims with the freaking degenerates.

EDIT: Also frankly I'm not going to bring up GG in the context of everyone who played a part in it for or against because it's freaking 2018, not 2014. Would you like it if people constantly did that to you?

Yeah I would want to keep a roll of the canaries in the toxic masculinity coal mine who tried sounding the alarm against the larval nazis who are currently shooting up schools and bombing the homes of black activists all over my country. The womanhaters shouldn’t be allowed the cover of neutrality just because it was only a few years ago they were destroying people’s credit and terrorizing their elderly parents because they were women or defended women. “Both sides lol” is a narrative that serves the interests of literal nazis.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I hate to admit I like ~internet drama~, but almost anyone meta who does deep dives into internet personalities ends up being kind of lovely. There's responding to a specific philosophy using a channel espousing it as a case study, or responding to a specific stupid video, but these comprehensive, often really personal, analyses on internet figures like Chris-chan or TGWTG ppl or whatever are almost always toxic and them being good or reasonable is the exception far more than the rule.

The only decent ones I've seen are D-Steck's CWC thing and Big Joel's Coppercab video (wow, when Coppercab was presenting as trans Joel actually used gender neutral pronouns even if cab was probably trolling, novel). I haven't seen Down the Rabbit Hole's videos, they may be ok, but then I don't watch him anymore for personal reasons (my best friend knows him, won't go into more detail).

It's absolutely reasonable, even if Jim wasn't in bed with a loving hate movement, to be suspicious and careful (both as a potential target of a video like JO, and as a viewer) just based on the fact that he engages with this sort of thing as a primary topic. Due to pattern recognition as much as anything else.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 19, 2018

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

FoldableHuman posted:

Given that dickwit Jim repeatedly signal boosted "Dan's a pedophile because he published an article about pedophiles", yeah, maybe I'm not super keen on just going "ugh, that was so twenty fourteen" and I find it disingenuous to assume that people who have done exactly zero to change in the intervening time should just be given a pass because a couple years have passed.

I don't care if you don't have any skin in this, stop bringing this motherfucker up as though he's just some rando who's getting unfairly maligned because he said something tasteless once: HE LITERALLY HELPED KICK START A HATE MOVEMENT AND CONTINUED TO SUPPORT IT AFTER LITERAL loving WHITE NATIONALISTS JUMPED ON BOARD.

"Would you like it if people constantly did that to you?"

:wtf:

Y'know, it wasn't until the 12th time you copy pasted that sentence in all caps that it really sunk in.

I thank you kindly not to tell me who I can and can't bring up, especially when I wasn't even the person who brought him up. For god's sake, man - I didn't even defend the oval office.

Puppy Time posted:

It may not be defending, but it sure as poo poo ain't pointing the dude out as a brigader.

But that's like, not me. If I have the chance I inform people of things if I feel necessary and that's basically it - let people make their own way from there. Don't shoot the messenger.

business hammocks posted:

Yeah I would want to keep a roll of the canaries in the toxic masculinity coal mine who tried sounding the alarm against the larval nazis who are currently shooting up schools and bombing the homes of black activists all over my country. The womanhaters shouldn’t be allowed the cover of neutrality just because it was only a few years ago they were destroying people’s credit and terrorizing their elderly parents because they were women or defended women. “Both sides lol” is a narrative that serves the interests of literal nazis.

We all know. I've also brought up his involvement in the past when his name so happened to come up (coming up being the operative word, not like i just brought him up randomly). This isn't a both sides dealie.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 19, 2018

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
how about just not messaging about this guy, no one seems to want to hear about him and it seems to cause problems so maybe this is not the thread to keep tabs on him

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Linear Zoetrope posted:

I hate to admit I like ~internet drama~, but almost anyone meta who does deep dives into internet personalities ends up being kind of lovely. There's responding to a specific philosophy using a channel espousing it as a case study, or responding to a specific stupid video, but these comprehensive, often really personal, analyses on internet figures like Chris-chan or TGWTG ppl or whatever are almost always toxic and them being good or reasonable is the exception far more than the rule.

The only decent ones I've seen are D-Steck's CWC thing and Big Joel's Coppercab video (wow, when Coppercab was presenting as trans Joel actually used gender neutral pronouns even if cab was probably trolling, novel). I haven't seen Down the Rabbit Hole's videos, they may be ok, but then I don't watch him for personal reasons (my best friend knows him, won't go into more detail).

It's absolutely reasonable, even if Jim wasn't in bed with a loving hate movement, to be suspicious and careful (both as a potential target of a video like JO, and as a viewer) just based on the fact that he engages with this sort of thing as a primary topic. Due to pattern recognition as much as anything else.

At its core it’s usually about harming people at a distance.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

They didn’t kiss, but they did make it transparently obvious what their relationship was. There’s actually quite a lot of heterosexual romance anime where the main couple don’t kiss - Spice and Wolf, Hyouka, and MMO Junkie come to mind. Japan just ain’t as big on PDAs as America, and it’s generally not wise to use ‘but they didn’t kiss’ as your sole criterion for evaluating whether a romance is serious or queerbait.

That said, one of the other shows he references, Izetta, does have the main couple kiss, sooo...

Fair enough. I just didn't think it was right to call him homophobic based on what he did. Like maybe he didn't cover the issue the right way but at least he tried.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SatansBestBuddy posted:

If anything, this thread tends to get really weird about policing which channels to watch based on how close they are to the alt-right, either through twitter stalking, paying really close attention to content creators social circles, or just finding specific sentences in a given video potentially offensive. It can get really creepy really fast.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Shut the gently caress up Kim

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Don't it just.

Anyway I didn't ask for this comedy argument so I'm gonna do what I should have done the other times this madness started, and go somewhere else until people who really should know better start acting their age.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

I watched FliFla and it was one of those annoying situations where, yes, they could be read as lesbians, but it also COULD be really close friends. Also the anime REALLY loved being extremely creepy and sexual toward its underage main characters, so it gave off some REALLY heavy "chaste lesbians until they grow up so they can be pure virgins for their future husband" vibes. I was not a fan.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Nah my man, the person we're in a thing over isn't "Oh they just sometimes hobnob with nazi-adjacents" they helped create the current crop of them. They are a repugnant person.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I googled the guy they're talking about and one of the first results was an interview about "Crazy feminists, SJWs, and rape culture hysteria!"
so,
that uh,
kinda raised an eyebrow,
right away,
immediately,
from a cursory glance.

not exactly digging all that deep here now am I

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 19, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Puppy Time posted:

I watched FliFla and it was one of those annoying situations where, yes, they could be read as lesbians, but it also COULD be really close friends. Also the anime REALLY loved being extremely creepy and sexual toward its underage main characters, so it gave off some REALLY heavy "chaste lesbians until they grow up so they can be pure virgins for their future husband" vibes. I was not a fan.

I think it got pretty explicit by the end, however.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Yardbomb posted:

Nah my man, the person we're in a thing over isn't "Oh they just sometimes hobnob with nazi-adjacents" they helped create the current crop of them. They are a repugnant person.

are we sure that sbb isn't responding to the accusation that weird anime poo poo video is "skin-crawlingly lesbophobic"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Solitair posted:

I think MovieBob can be interesting sometimes, but I don't bring him up because most people in the thread seem to hate him.

I agree with this and I think the common criticism that "hurr durr he's super liberal now fuckin' SJW" is horseshit. It is true that he's become more abrasive and a little bit smug/patronizing from about, oh, 2013, but I kind of don't blame him considering what's happened since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Changing topics, but how did people here first get into movie/comic/whatever criticism?

I feel my first time really getting interested in it was with Spill.com, and it seems to be the case for a few people my age. They were just short and pretty nicely animated videos. Later I started listening to their podcast (also first podcast I ever listened to) and really started thinking about movies on a (slightly) deeper level.

• Locked thread