Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hixson posted:

Post the close-ups homie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You only painted like 2600 points, Horus isn't a Son of Horus. QED.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Sulecrist posted:

If you consume it via anus or eyeball you can bypass the liver.

Content: I finished painting 3,000 points of Sons of Horus yaaay

ne1 want closeups

Praetor and Maloghurst please and thank you

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sulecrist posted:

ne1 want closeups

dude with the IW helmet on the front right

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Those Sons of Horus are loving nice, well done
also lol at that ZM board, gently caress that poo poo

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Sulecrist posted:

ne1 want closeups

Wow, VERY nice.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Sulecrist posted:

ne1 want closeups

Could you actually take a picture from farther away? It will make me less jealous.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

krursk posted:

I’ve been busy but I’ve made more progress with Dorn. I’ve not had time to model a dornstache :(

Aw yeah. This is the good stuff.

Sulecrist posted:

ne1 want closeups

I want to be as close as I can to all of them.

But where's Abaddon and Loken?

The One-Two Punch
Dec 10, 2008

Sulecrist posted:

ne1 want closeups

Holy smokes these look good

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Those are some super nice looking traitors. How did you make the chaplain?

The BaC pret sticks out like a sore thumb, heh.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

JcDent posted:

How did you make the chaplain?

It's definitely based on Krom Dragongays

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So is there any information about the new not-Rhino/not-Taurox/not-Chimera Aurox that Forgeworld is putting out for the Solars Aux?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Broken Record Talk posted:

It's definitely based on Dragongays

I think they prefer to be called Scalies though?

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Schadenboner posted:

So is there any information about the new not-Rhino/not-Taurox/not-Chimera Aurox that Forgeworld is putting out for the Solars Aux?

Alpha rules were shown at the same time as the model, but I can't seem to find them at the moment. If memory serves, it's something between a Rhino and a Chimera; Rhino stats, Chimera transport capacity and weapon options.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Here are the requested closeups! AndyElusive, Abaddon & Loken are in my next Forge World order, along with a Leviathan and assorted bric-a-brac.

Lord Agapito, ‘The Catulan,’ Lodge Master
This model was converted from Akron Dragongaze. Bulbasaur donated an old pewter Iron Warriors head, and Safety Factor gave me the pistol because I’d run out. Axe is modified version of MkIII upgrade kit weapon.

left to right: Chieftain/Praevian/Delegatus Solon Abbas; Sergeant Bias Escher of the Cannibals; Veteran Sergeant Silas of Squad Carduus, Breacher Sergeant Chilon of Squad Passerine.

Solon Abbas, one of my favorite models in the whole army.

Bias Escher
He doesn’t actually lead the Cannibals, since they’re all such psychotic individualistic evil bastards that they can’t really be led, but he does their admin and beats the poo poo of of the worst troublemakers.

Silas, who still needs water effects.

Chilon, another one of my favorites; he’s the very first SoH character I finished.

The unlikeliest of BFFs: on the left, Sergeant Harod, called ‘Unbroken’ and ‘Edge of Tarsus,’ and Expeditionary Navigator Henrique Belisarius.

Apothecary Boscoe and Vexilliary Peyton, both old Terrans.

The Cannibals, my squad fillers slash Victory Is Vengeance irregulars. They’re all Isstvan veterans who have completely lost their ability to work as part of a cohesive unit. They’re frequently sent on the most dangerous insertion missions, and nobody really gives a poo poo whether a Cannibal lives or dies (including the other Cannibals, generally).

General Olloth posted:

Could you actually take a picture from farther away? It will make me less jealous.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Dammit.

See, I love 30K - and 40K stuff. I've bought huge piles of models and built many of them - up to the point where I have to decide what Legion/Chapter they'll be.

They might be Ultramarines, or Blood Angels, or Wolves. I can't decide. I already have a wandering eye and a short attention span.

Then you come along and post those gorgeous Sons of Horus models, and it gives me yet another alternative, even though I know there's no way in hell I could get mine to turn out that well. The best I could do is try to emulate them, like a monkey painting a Van Gogh.

Thanks a lot.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Thank you!

I alluded to this a few pages ago, but here’s how I picked a Legion.

First, I wrote out all 18, and crossed off the really stupid ones:

Dark Angels (whiny babies in black armor)
Thousand Sons (whiny babies with a persecution complex)
Raven Guard (more whiny babies in black armor, but with rules that appeared really close to 40k)

Then I crossed off the ones that lacked good Black Library books:
Death Guard (great color scheme, but super boring in James Swallow’s hands)
Blood Angels (Swallow again, and too close to 40k)
Salamanders (Nick Kyme, and my purple 40k marine army used Salamanders rules)

Then I eliminated some based on wholly subjective personal hang ups:
Emperor’s Children (didn’t want to paint another purple power armor army)
Iron Hands (wanted to be able to use the Primarch model in post-Isstvan games)
Imperial Fists (they were probably the most powerful Legion at the time I was picking, and also I think Dorn is pretty dull, and also I didn’t want to paint yellow vehicles)
Iron Warriors (would have been eliminated before Dark Angels except they’re inordinately easy to paint)
Night Lords (couldn’t really take the color scheme seriously, and a little too grisly for my liking)
White Scars (this was before Scars came out, and they didn’t have rules at the time, and 40k White Scars were ridiculously strong, and I didn’t want to buy or paint loads of bikes)

Then I crossed off the ones I liked a lot but that I unequivocally knew would fail to satisfy at least some of my deepest desires:
World Eaters (they own though)
Alpha Legion (I needed a little more personality and room for conversion)

That left me with what are still my four favorites: Word Bearers, Sons of Horus, Space Wolves, and Ultramarines. As much as I love the two loyalist legions’ fluff, neither had rules at the time I was picking, and I had a preference for traitors so I could theoretically run them as Chaos in 40k. Sons of Horus are very far from my favorite in the fluff, which actually worked in their favor since I wouldn’t mind losing games with hem. Plus their models were way, WAY better than Word Bearers, I preferred the ganger motif to the over-the-top occultism, and the combination of (then-) insanely bad rules and a difficult but beautiful armor color made them extremely underplayed, at a time when Word Bearers were extremely popular and prolific.

The decision probably took about a year, and I didn’t buy any models until I’d narrowed it down to just a few options (like it sounds you have). Ultimately, I think the two biggest things are that you need to (1) want to push them and their preferred units around on the table and (2) want to spend potentially hundreds of hours painting their primary color.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Sulecrist posted:

Emperor’s Children

Luckily your bad decision lead to some beautifully painted models.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

It's funny how similar my thought process has been to yours. I'd like something that I can slide into 40k with minimal fuss. I understand that this can seem a bit cheesy, but I can live with that. Of the three I mentioned before:

Ultramarines - Pros: The blue can look very good, and they have a strong, established theme. I like the "Glory of Rome" angle. If I go with them I'll paint them like earlier edition Ultras (Red bolters! Red gun turrets on Predators!) which could be an interesting call-back. Cons: Every Marine box cover in the local GW already has them.

Blood Angels - Pros: Great visual theme. Gold for the ascended, red for the masses, black for the damned? Hell yes. Cons: Their fluff puts me to sleep. I can't seem to really get excited about them.

Wolves - Pros: I really like the fluff in Prospero Burns, and the Norse myths are silly fun. Cons: Boring 30K paintjob that looks like bare plastic, and the 40K Wolves-riding-wolves theme is just embarrassing...

Potential outsider candidates:

Imperial Fists - Pros: My son plays Crimson Fists. Cons: Yellow is the Devil.

White Scars - Pros: Mongols in space could be a fun theme. Cons: I hate the bike models.

Warhounds - Pros: Nice and obscure, World Eaters without the hype. Cons: Being asked "Hey, are those Ultramarines?" every time I put them on the table.

Alpha Legion - Pros: I could airbrush a slick metallic blue; while that might look good on a model, it might look odd across a whole army. Cons: The fluff is okay, but it's hard to picture them in a stand-up fight.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

It’d be fun to see everyone’s reasoning for picking their Legions/ad mech slaves/human sacrifices.

I picked Sons of Horus because I always liked the Black Legion fluff of Abaddon having to scrape together a bunch of outcasts and point them at the Imperium, I wanted to play with Horus the second I saw you could use Primarchs, and I loved the idea of being the leader of the bad guys.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

panascope posted:

It’d be fun to see everyone’s reasoning for picking their Legions/ad mech slaves/human sacrifices.

If you think I'm indecisive here, you should see how I approach Historicals.

28mm Italians - no, Polish. No, Soviets. No, 15mm Soviets. No, how about ACW Union. Or maybe Ironclads. But what about Polybian Romans? No, maybe...

Edit: Speaking of Sons of Horus, I really like this take on them. No, not mine:

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

panascope posted:

I picked Sons of Horus because I always liked the Black Legion fluff of Abaddon having to scrape together a bunch of outcasts and point them at the Imperium, I wanted to play with Horus the second I saw you could use Primarchs, and I loved the idea of being the leader of the bad guys.

Yeah Horus himself was a huge deciding factor. Such an insanely good model.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

panascope posted:

I picked Emperor's Children and World Eaters because they were the two main Chaos factions I played in 40k. World Eaters looks amazing in 30k colors, but painting that much white is a nightmare that I may never escape.

I really love Emperor's Children though. The idea of playing the most elite of the Space Marines was a big draw. Just the concept that they overcome being down to only 200 guys to become the most decorated Legion is great. Also them being so practiced at everything that they are almost as good at your speciality as you are rules.

Also love that they go from being one the most highly favored Legions to just throwing themselves into corruption headlong just to get even better. Arrogance and overconfidence is perfect in a villain.

And you know other Primarchs don't stand a chance against Fulgrim one on one. There is canonical proof, haters.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

panascope posted:

I really like the Coronid Deeps fluff and the Agathon paint scheme (also they have a mad scientist medic), and my hobby buddy is Tau-curious in 40k so I needed either a Ultima Segmentum or at least border-region army.

:shrug:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I picked Thousand Sons because I really enjoyed the 2 prospero novels. I really liked their tragic fall to chaos and the Egyptian theme is really cool :shobon:

I also picked Night Lords because of books. ADBs Night Lord trilogy is incredible. I like the depravity and cruelty of the legion and how they never really devoted themselves to a chaos god. They’re just really bad dudes. The legion is also full of character with guys like Sevetar and Kheron Ophion. And Terror Assault is pretty much exactly how I want to play.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

panascope posted:

I started 30k with Blood Angels because I play(ed) them in 40k, and love both their color scheme and their fluff. Plus Sanguinius is such a baller.

I swapped to Sons of Horus because they're traitors, I love their scheme, and I fell in love with them once I started reading the HH novels. Plus they offer a nice counterpoint to Blood Angels, and their former close allies.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I picked Ultramarines because I’ve played Ultramarines since 2nd edition and I didn’t see a need to have an army I couldn’t use in both 30k and 40k. At the time Ultramarines were just the sample generic marines.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Beerdeer posted:

I picked Ultramarines because I’ve played Ultramarines since 2nd edition and I didn’t see a need to have an army I couldn’t use in both 30k and 40k. At the time Ultramarines were just the sample generic marines.

This is why I play Ultras in 40k. The Battle for Macragge box had blue marines and that’s how I painted mine.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
I play blood angels because they're who I've played since 3rd edition. Not sure why BA, since the starter box / rulebook cover was black templars. I also have fists in 30k because I liked the thought of both my armies being ones that were at terra, painting yellow is cool, and shield walls are cool.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Booley posted:

I play blood angels because they're who I've played since 3rd edition. Not sure why BA, since the starter box / rulebook cover was black templars. I also have fists in 30k because I liked the thought of both my armies being ones that were at terra, painting yellow is cool, and shield walls are cool.

I remember that box, it had ruins in it.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I chose word bearers because both the gal vorbak and the tainted dreadnought look fantastic, I already had a large chaos daemon army and I wanted to be the most evil boys possible. It helps that the First Heretic and Betrayer are the best HH novels.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Hamshot posted:

I chose word bearers because both the gal vorbak and the tainted dreadnought look fantastic, I already had a large chaos daemon army and I wanted to be the most evil boys possible. It helps that the First Heretic and Betrayer are the best HH novels.

I think the Word Bearers are really neat, were I to do a CSM force (30 or 40) it would be them. I just wish they had better rules. :(

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I’ve always seen the Ultramarines as being more Napoleonic French than Roman.

I think for me, it would be between Alpha Legion and Space Wolves. SW were my first 40k army back in 3rd edition, and 30k still has them being more Viking and less furries.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I picked iron warriors because I’m lazy.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

I think the Word Bearers are really neat, were I to do a CSM force (30 or 40) it would be them. I just wish they had better rules. :(

Word Bearers in 30k are good, definitely in the top 50% of Legions. Rolling 3D6 and dropping one on Leadership is huge, and they have some excellent characters.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Sulecrist posted:

Word Bearers in 30k are good, definitely in the top 50% of Legions. Rolling 3D6 and dropping one on Leadership is huge, and they have some excellent characters.

They're also just plain old loving cool, except for Lorgar; he's a baby back bitch.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I really like Lorgar because I don't really think of him as being evil. He just serves a higher Truth.

I almost did Word Bearers just because the religiosity really appealed to me, but I despise painting lots of red.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I like Lorgar because he's all: "Pops, your fedora-tipping bullshittery isn't going to work", but teh Emps is all: "M'laddy..."

Ultras had it loving coming, is all I'm saying.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I really like Lorgar because I don't really think of him as being evil.

He's not evil at all, just extremely weak. Dude just wanted some big daddy god to smack him around and call him derogatory names to get his worshipper rocks off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Those are some loving amazing mans Sulecrist.

I chose Death Guard because I really wanted a change of pace from painting straight laced Ultramarines. I wanted to challenge myself with a color I'd not used much before (white) and also try out weathering which I'd never done before. Thematically I love them; they were lead by a dude that started a peasant revolution against tyrannical overlords and after briefly following his dream of freeing oppressed peoples everywhere they turned first into an arm of an oppressive tyrannical regime then into an indiscriminate terror against those they used to protect. The cult of personality they built around Mortarion and their drive to be able to endure anything stopped them from ever asking just why the hell they were doing what they did.