Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

MrSargent posted:

If someone is critiquing a hip-hop beat I made and suggested “modernizing” the drums a bit, what does that mean? I’m waiting for clarification but figured I would ask here. Is it more on the sample selection or the processing of the drums?

That can mean anything without having heard it; can you post it here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Jazz Marimba posted:

That can mean anything without having heard it; can you post it here?

It isn't a finished track yet, but here is what I sent him.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Sff6RnEsAHmz_4GYZqGldCFkuiCi5DZc

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I'm auditioning for theatre musicals and they want to know my highest and lowest note. What is the proper method for determining this? Is it just supposed to be what I can hit comfortably, or do I include what I can hit with falsetto and sort of silly-sounding bass notes?

When I try it out I get C2-G4, though at topmost I can go up to E5 with a sort of wacky falsetto.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I'm auditioning for theatre musicals and they want to know my highest and lowest note. What is the proper method for determining this? Is it just supposed to be what I can hit comfortably, or do I include what I can hit with falsetto and sort of silly-sounding bass notes?

When I try it out I get C2-G4, though at topmost I can go up to E5 with a sort of wacky falsetto.

When they ask you just say "I guess my highest note would be when my son was born and my lowest was that time I poo poo my pants while skiing".

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Know your chest and head (falsetto) ranges. Know what's comfortable and easy to sing vs. what is not.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

MrSargent posted:

It isn't a finished track yet, but here is what I sent him.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Sff6RnEsAHmz_4GYZqGldCFkuiCi5DZc

Some of it is coming from the NotDrums--it sounds like a lofi hip-hop stream.

For the drums, in general it sounds like you sampled a record instead of programmed them on a computer; they have a "live" feeling. The hihat specifically is too loose; a lot of modern hip-hop uses a very tight, dry tone (e.g. Kendrick, Cardi B, Bruno Mars, Chance, etc.).

Who are some artists whose drums you like (even if you hate their music)? Why do you like them? If you like the sound of "older" drums, then ignore your friend; there are artists going for that sound right now, most notably Anderson .Paak

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Jazz Marimba posted:

Some of it is coming from the NotDrums--it sounds like a lofi hip-hop stream.

For the drums, in general it sounds like you sampled a record instead of programmed them on a computer; they have a "live" feeling. The hihat specifically is too loose; a lot of modern hip-hop uses a very tight, dry tone (e.g. Kendrick, Cardi B, Bruno Mars, Chance, etc.).

Who are some artists whose drums you like (even if you hate their music)? Why do you like them? If you like the sound of "older" drums, then ignore your friend; there are artists going for that sound right now, most notably Anderson .Paak

Thanks a lot for this, it helps. So essentially, more modern drums should sound more "programmed". This makes sense since I deliberately tried to make them sound more real haha.

I have been listening to a lot of older hip-hop lately, most notably Jay Dilla, Tribe, and The Roots which is probably why I gravitated towards a more vintage and live sound. I really like Kanye's drums in that there is a huge variety of tones and sounds and they all work for that particular record. I feel like he does everything from vintage to more modern drum sounds.

I like some of the looseness in the percussion because I feel like that's where the track gets its groove, but I think I could mix it up a bit with some modern sounds to give it variety and make it more interesting. Could maybe use some more sub on the kick, I will try a few things out. Appreciate the feedback.

Edit: Funny you mentioned it sounds like the drums were sampled from a record, because I did sample a Grover Washington record for the melody, but not the drums haha.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 20, 2018

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dumb question, what chord is this: A, C#, E, B ? It's an a major with an added 2nd (I believe), but is there a name for it?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Kvlt! posted:

Dumb question, what chord is this: A, C#, E, B ? It's an a major with an added 2nd (I believe), but is there a name for it?

add2 or add9. It's not a sus2 because it has a third in it and it's not a 9 chord because there's no 7th.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Anime Reference posted:

add2 or add9. It's not a sus2 because it has a third in it and it's not a 9 chord because there's no 7th.

Thank you!

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

JVNO posted:

Unless your primary focus is learning piano, I would 100% opt for the Push. It is purpose built for Ableton and nothing really compares to it in terms of sheer versatility.

Got one, will receive it next week. Can't wait!

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
I just got a TEControl Breath Controller to go with my shiny new SampleModeling brass set. But I can't get the latter to recognize the former. It won't function without a breath signal, which it's expecting on CC11. I configured the controller through its own software to send breath on CC11, and it works fine with random free virtual instruments off the net. I can record MIDI containing just the breath, and the event list clearly shows expression coming in via CC11.

So somewhere between my DAW (Reaper, Win10) and SampleModeling, I can't get that CC11 passed through. Am I missing something here?

(I would post this on SampleModeling's own forum, but apparently a mod has to approve my registration and hasn't in the last 20 hours. The only effective Google results involve automation fuckery, which I don't think is supposed to be necessary for this pairing.)

e: nevermind I'm dumb (but so is the manual's stressing that CC11 needs to be active when in fact it is CC2 that controls expression in breath controller mode!!)

e2: okay something IS funky here. I got one single instance of the french horn to run in Kontakt (thru Reaper). When I add a second horn and match its settings to those of the first, I get no response. Then I re-add the first. Nothing!!
This is awfully familiar to an issue I had running a simple accordion VST in Kontakt...instances seemingly work or fail at random, despite identical settings within the plugin (but using an entirely different controller).

So I'm starting to think this me failing at Kontakt. Most of the other plugins I run through Komplete Kontrol and have never had any trouble from them. Am I missing something?

the numa numa song fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 28, 2018

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I ask this dumb question because it always seems to be the problem when something like that happens to me: did you check the MIDI channel settings? If you add a second instance it automatically jumps to the next channel, and if you're not sending anything on that channel it will just not do anything.

You do say the settings are identical, but I figured I'd ask.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 28, 2018

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

Trig Discipline posted:

I ask this dumb question because it always seems to be the problem when something like that happens to me: did you check the MIDI channel settings? If you add a second instance it automatically jumps to the next channel, and if you're not sending anything on that channel it will just not do anything.

You do say the settings are identical, but I figured I'd ask.

Totally worth asking me dumb questions, I am not at all sharp with this sort of thing.

I thought it might be a channel problem and tried playing with that this morning. It worked...sort of...but not really. I've been able to load up two instruments in one Kontakt instance, put them both on omni or 1, and then play them both with the same controller. Cool. I change one to channel 2. That one stops but the other still works. That makes sense, great. I load a third instrument. Channel omni. Nope. I remove the first two instruments. Nope. I load a new instrument. Nope. I've gone from 2 working horns to 0 in minutes, and I don't know why the gently caress.

The only thing I can possibly think of is that I'm fat-fingering a Kontakt hotkey or something, because I don't how else I could be producing such unpredictable results at this point. (And basically every relevant setting I'm changing by mouseclick!) I load an instrument, set the channel to omni or 1. Set it to "breath controller mode" which automatically listens for CC2 (which Reaper has been 100% receiving this whole time). That's all it took for me to get it to work the first time, but I cannot reliably replicate that success.

There's another Kontakt-based plugin I can only reliably use via a Reaper track template I saved at a time that it was working. This template ALWAYS comes correct, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what in that setting arrangement is letting it work every time.

the numa numa song fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 29, 2018

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
All right, hmmm. Have you considered the possibility that it may be haunted?

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Trig Discipline posted:

All right, hmmm. Have you considered the possibility that it may be haunted?

I'm pretty sure Kontakt doesn't have the same issue as your mother's vagina

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That wasn't a ghost, it was the concierge.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

the numa numa song posted:

Am I missing something?

If this is a library that contains Kontakt's scripting language, there just may be a bug in there. Reproduce the bug and send it to the sample vendor.

Kontakt is an IDE for sampling and NI should probably just put the editor in Visual Studio or something and then do hot updates after you save your file. Would make life easier for everyone involved I guess.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is there something like a Realbook/Fakebook for modern music which can tell me things like typical chord progressions (in music theory/nashville notation, etc.), BPM, drum patterns for electronic genres like Trip Hop, Chillstep, Future Bass, etc. etc. - rather than scraping videos for writing music in different styles online which often degenerate into tweaking that kick sample or 'now you see this is the MINOR chord in the key of C' bollocks?

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Have you tried theory tabs? They use a similar format to fake books where the melody and chords are shown for the main sections of songs. I haven't used the site for a while though, because it's flash-based and I'm usually on mobile. They might have just enough of a selection to cover what you're looking for.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Not sure whether this belongs here or in the stupid music poo poo thread. Does anyone know a decent, reliable place to get custom guitar straps? Specifically I'm looking for good fabric or leather straps with the trans flag colour scheme. I'm usually quite timid about this sort of thing but I kind of want to fly the colours I'm proud of.

I emailed Couch straps cause they're always highly recommended but I haven't received a reply and it's been like a week :(

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I can’t help you but I have to say this is most certainly NOT stupid music poo poo. Rock on!

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Know Such Peace posted:

Have you tried theory tabs? They use a similar format to fake books where the melody and chords are shown for the main sections of songs. I haven't used the site for a while though, because it's flash-based and I'm usually on mobile. They might have just enough of a selection to cover what you're looking for.

Thanks for mentioning this site, I checked it out and got their first Hooktheory book and it explains a lot of stuff that I kinda already knew but never really fully understood. Im currently halfway through their second book and this is definitely stuff that I didn't really know but the way they explain it makes it very easy to comprehend and internalize.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Good to hear! I should probably get the app. It's pretty expensive, but I got a lot of use out of the theorytab website. I keep waiting for a sale or an update, but I guess it isn't going to happen. I hope they switch to html5 or make a full app for the tab website at some point.

Edit: Changing a song's mode and/or key and instantly hear the resulting chords/melody is pretty incredible.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Apr 2, 2018

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Small question that does not deserve it's own thread: Did I master this in any kind of acceptable way?

https://soundcloud.com/pizzamakesmusic/night-ride

unmastered: https://soundcloud.com/pizzamakesmusic/night-walk

I couldn't find a thread about mastering.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I wrote out a whole post about some in depth theory stuff but I think it's inappropriate for the thread. I couldn't find a good theory thread in here, and honestly I can't seem to find any good forums on the internet for real in depth theory discussion, it all seems pretty dead or very surface level stuff like "what is a chord". I want to discuss stuff like using German 6th chords as a V7 in the new key, diminished 7 pivots, double harmonic or lydian dominant scales etc. The thread wouldn't just cover that stuff, but the basics too like different cadences, or when to use specific diatonic chords, questions like that. A general theory thread that would cover theory questions big and small. Plus recommending Youtube channels, theory websites. I wonder if there would be interest in a thread like that here?

Konsek fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 9, 2018

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I would definitely follow a thread like that even if I couldn't contribute much to it

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

That sounds awesome, would be a good way for me to brush up on my music theory.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Simone Poodoin posted:

I would definitely follow a thread like that even if I couldn't contribute much to it

Yeah me too.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I'm super interested but have zero time to put that together :(

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Well, okay then. I knocked this up this evening.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854015

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Any recommendations for books or videos about how synths work?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

On what level? Like "how do I make a noise?" or "what's going on under the hood?" Or anywhere in between?

https://github.com/micjamking/synth-secrets

is my general purpose recommendation.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Under the hood, this looks great (and long) so I have lots to go through. Thanks!

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I would like to sample audio off of some old VHS tapes and didn't really know the best way to route audio from the VCR into Ableton via my Scarlett 18i8. The Audio Out on the VCR is the standard Red/White RCA outs.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CPR-202...2TZAS1WH8G75RE0

i have a set of these i use for stuff like this occasionally. they're not shielded/balanced, so you have to be careful about picking up interference, but they've worked fine for me other than that!

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it
Yeah, it's those or an adapter to go RCA to 1/4" or vice versa, into a line level input, I'm not aware of any fancier way. RCA and instrument cables carry the same signals, the connectors are the only difference.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Legally, what's the difference between an "original" guitar design and a counterfeit? I.e., why can every company in the world sell a guitar that's visually identical to a Telecaster or a Les Paul, as long as the headstock is slightly different?

revolther
May 27, 2008
Well a counterfeit actually labeled gibson/fender is different than a similar style "knock off" by a no-name company, but typically on all those tele/lp knock offs there are minor variations in the radius of things like the horn/cutaway, the hip and even to the contour of the top/back to make it legally different enough to not be sued. The headstock is just the big no-no as it has become iconic as part of those brands and typically the silhouettes are copyrighted designs. If the Gibson book ends and fender bottlenecks were functional necessities instead of stylistic choices with pros/cons they would probably be standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
The cutaway/lower horn's a big one for LP clones. Every company does it a little differently.