Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Adam said he was kind of phasing him out of "the crew" for home improvement stuff but it seemed very defensible... Ozzie was doing consistently sloppy work, taking ludicrously long lunches etc.

I know he was in The Hammer, and even after the phase-out he did those "Ozzie reads a movie quote" bits for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Like I'm pretty sure Ray has bagged on Ozzie as being basically worthless.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
I really don't understand how Adam can be so blind to what his fans like. I am certain that the Sunday AOTH was more popular than Saturday. Adam knows building but he'd often rely on Ray to give a real answer to the questions. Sunday with Ray and Stromer was actually hilarious and informative which was great. Stromer and Adam have no chemistry.

Ray shouldn't need improv classes in order to do a home improvement podcast. Adam said Ray was costing him money but it's not like he's paying Ray 50k a year to do 2 hours of podcasting. The Sunday show went from no ads to being filled with ads so I'm certain they were making money. Oh well.

Ray is starting his own podcast called Do Tell Ray (a reference to the "Don't tell Ray" parties that the guys throw). He's posted a phone number and email on his Twitter feed so if you care, leave a question and maybe we'll help him get the show going again.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think Ray is very good at the entertainment stuff and some classes could have helped. I mean he was also doing that TV show.

Regardless, wasn't he supposed to be a partner in this? Seems Carolla's scheme is tell his friends they're partners who will make money when the show is successful. When the show is successful he fires them and keeps all the money.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Niwrad posted:

I don't think Ray is very good at the entertainment stuff and some classes could have helped. I mean he was also doing that TV show.

Regardless, wasn't he supposed to be a partner in this? Seems Carolla's scheme is tell his friends they're partners who will make money when the show is successful. When the show is successful he fires them and keeps all the money.

Ray was definitely not a partner.

I don't think improv classes would've made Ace on the House any better. The worst part of the show was Adam berating Ray. The best part of the show was the entire show without Adam where Ray and Stomer actually answered questions and shot the poo poo.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

https://twitter.com/davidalangrier/status/975464984304959488?s=21

The mystery of why DAG isn’t on the show anymore has been solved.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

When did he stop being a guest?

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

WEH posted:

When did he stop being a guest?

It’s been over a year since I was a listener, and he had stopped before that. I want to say I’ve only heard him on once since Gina was added.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That's a really bad look for Adam, but that seems commonplace for him

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Adam just had him repeat the same 3 bits every time he was on, just like he does with every guest.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Adam Carolla now teaches a podcasting class. Maybe Adam offers good advice like how to dick over your friends for fun and profit but this strikes me as a waste of money like stand-up comedy classes or Trump University. https://www.carollaclass.com/

So I assume most of us tuned out a long time ago and just check this thread periodically. What was the final straw for all of you? I sorta checked out when the show switched formats from a one-on-one interviews to a recreation of his morning radio show. I would still occasionally listen if Adam had a guest I liked. I fully checked out when he started hanging out with Dennis "Corrective Rape" Prager.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I stopped listening mostly because I was tired of hearing the same stories over and over again. The car race audio and the same lame bits (waze navigation) also contributed.

Alison getting fired also made the show less enjoyable to me. She just felt like a kind genuine funny person while Gina is fake as gently caress. Alison was a nice balance to Adam’s angry bitterness. Now we’re left with Gina laughing and cheerleading Adam (which is what Adam wants).

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Alison was the final straw for me, she was genuinely funny and a nice person.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think I stopped when more competition popped up. Adam had a huge advantage early on because people wanted on-demand podcast content but there weren't a lot of quality people doing it. Now every comedian has one.

I soured when he got mean spirited. Also seemed to coincide with him getting overly preachy. Just isn't entertaining having him berate Drew for 10 minutes because he didn't use a coaster. Or go on another endless tirade about kids need more grit. He slowly became the old guy who yells at clouds and doesn't realize it.

Loveline Carolla is still one of the funniest people I've ever listened to in any format.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

beep by grandpa posted:

Alison was the final straw for me, she was genuinely funny and a nice person.

I was barely listening but when Alison was fired I was pretty much done. Then she posted her podcast with her version of the events and man, even if half of what she said was true, it was disgusting.

I listened to an episode of Penn Jillette's podcast that was technically a Carolla podcast and shockingly, same god drat jokes two years later.

Really sucks too because I genuinely thought he was talented in the radio years and early podcast. Then he just got too rich.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Nothing like a good first class lounge rant am I right guys?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Social Animal posted:

Nothing like a good first class lounge rant am I right guys?

Why should I have to get on the plane first amiright

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

bartok posted:

Adam Carolla now teaches a podcasting class. Maybe Adam offers good advice like how to dick over your friends for fun and profit but this strikes me as a waste of money like stand-up comedy classes or Trump University. https://www.carollaclass.com/

lol

lesson one: be an established name with 10+ years of radio experience and millions of dollars in startup capital

lesson two: get started in 2008 where there isn't much competition

lesson three: start coasting

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

I stopped listening when goddamn Drew held-up SpaceX as an example of what the free market can do in a short time. "Just look at NASA! It took them 50 years to do what SpaceX is doing after five!"

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I'll listen to Sonny Carolla's podcast, where he'll inevitably call his dad a huge pussy

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I stopped listening when he had a weird “feud” with Kevin Smith and so they brought in Smith to tell his side, but there was nothing to it and Smith was trying to be nice and confused about what Adam was upset about. It was about two hours of nothing, no jokes or anything and I gave up and switched to Comedy Bang Bang.

Dunno if it’s been posted in the thread but the old episodes when Adam would yell at Donny culminated in Donnie suing and getting a big payout https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/adam-carolla-settles-lawsuit-popular-731537

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Grant DaNasty posted:

I stopped listening mostly because I was tired of hearing the same stories over and over again. The car race audio and the same lame bits (waze navigation) also contributed.

This is me, except I was happy to see Alison go. I was not a fan of hers.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

I stopped listening when Alison was let go. I would still peruse the episodes in case anyone came on that I would be interested in hearing. But then Adam pulled a petty tyrant move and forced Gary, Chris and Matt to stop appearing on Alison's podcast. She releases an episode on Thursdays that, while she was with Adam, would be her, Gary, Chris, Matt and two of her friends. They shot the poo poo and laughed and it was good fun. When she was let go, they tried to continue it, but after a couple episodes she came on and said that they were told they could not go on her podcast anymore unless they wanted to be fired. Real petty bullshit. I deleted the feed and haven't looked back.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Stopped listening a few months before the Alison firing, shortly after Dennis Prager started becoming a regular feature.

I quit mainly due to the angry and bitter right-wing rants occurring practically every episode, but also the increasing repetition of bits and the ranting and complaining becoming genuine instead of for comedic effect.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

I'd be interested to know if his audience has increased, declined or held steady the last few years.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Got to have declined.
If not for any particular reason, but we're really spoilt for choice now.

Plus none of the other shows have anywhere near as many ads. I can't imagine having AirPods and keeping up with an ad-heavy podcast.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
The last straw for me was Alison but also the fact that there are a million other better podcasts out there. Back at the start of his podcast, it was anti-radio. Now he's like "hey how can I be more like radio?"

Edit: I'd have to guess that his audience has declined but those who are still around (conservative older people) are willing to buy his lovely merch and go on his terrible cruises. So I'll bet he's making more money than ever.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I stopped listening when he had a weird “feud” with Kevin Smith and so they brought in Smith to tell his side, but there was nothing to it and Smith was trying to be nice and confused about what Adam was upset about. It was about two hours of nothing, no jokes or anything and I gave up and switched to Comedy Bang Bang.

Dunno if it’s been posted in the thread but the old episodes when Adam would yell at Donny culminated in Donnie suing and getting a big payout https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/adam-carolla-settles-lawsuit-popular-731537
Just because these date back to when I was paying attention:
First, totally agree it was bad / boring to listen to but Kevin Smith was 100% at fault there. Adam was more pissed about it than I would have expected him to be, he probably had a plan for that $500k involving warehouses or cars or a new house or something. I think the gist was: Kevin wanted Adam to work on a show with him but then changed his mind and wouldn't tell him as much and let things get all the way to contracts before making Telepictures tell Adam's agent... sort of the professional version of the guy who says he'll move in with his girlfriend and then down the line when the lease shows up for him to sign he breaks up with her via a text.

Donny was there at the start of the podcast and resisted Mike (Lynch or August, I forget which is which) getting a seat at the table to push the business side of things. I think they had different visions for how to make money from and grow the podcast. Not sure how it went down ultimately, but Donny definitely deserved to have some "equity" in the thing, though, which looks like he got.

I liked Allison but she was very self-absorbed and I generally preferred Gina Grad (would take Teresa Strasser over either). Adam fired her in a very insensitive way, though, and he talked about it in a very insensitive way. I don't really know about letting the the staff be on her show, it does seem that that was never going to work but if he said they could still do the show and then went back on that then that's obviously not good.

This kind of stuff goes down everywhere, you just usually don't know about it. I do think Adam is a little clueless in that he thinks he's more Mr. Cool Easygoing Bossman when he's really much more like Ellen Degeneres with the scared employees etc.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 23, 2018

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I think the final straw for me was when there were a few particularly bad podcasts in a row... lots of boring airport-related stories and repeat rants and lovely clueless politics and boring guests where everything was cross-promoting everything else in the Carolla world. Though it wasn't a discrete "gently caress this", it was more like they just started to pile up as I listened to other things. I'm still listening to most of the Adam & Drew shows, though I skip everything but the calls and even then I wouldn't recommend it.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 23, 2018

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

gently caress the Ellen Degeneres

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Brown Paper Bag posted:

I'd be interested to know if his audience has increased, declined or held steady the last few years.
Yeah I'd love to know this, too.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I remember the Kevin Smith story being about how both were too cowardly or shy to pick up the phone to call the other and say, "hey whats up with our project?"

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
That was the gist, except Adam made calls and Kevin ducked them because he didn't want to give the bad news. You can tell because it's the only way the sequence of events makes sense.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I never got into his radio show and only listened to his podcast when DAG or someone else notable was on because he was already devoting far too much bleating about grit and conservative bullshit, but I was pretty excited for the Adam and Drew show and probably hung with it for at least a year. I stopped listening to that because if he wasn’t berating drew about something he was screaming about the maid unplugging his iPhone so he had to use his other iPhone and if he wasn’t doing that drew would start whining about the tyranny of the majority and then they’d get to calls and I’d come out of my stupor and it would just be a bunch of sycophantic 30 year olds with bullshit problems.

It didn’t help that iirc classic loveline debuted around that time which was at once leagues better than a&d while also illustrating how lovely they’d both become.

I used to check in maybe once a year if something happened but stopped around 2016 for obvious reasons.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I stopped listening when his rant about how much he has to pay in taxes became basically a daily feature.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
It's been a long time since I've been a regular Carolla listener. I remember one of the last straws was when he had Andrew Breitbart on. I didn't know who he was at the time and was only half listening to the start of the episode. I had kinda excused some of Adams lovely opinions but him agreeing with Breitbart's garbage was just too much. Even though Breitbart ending up later dying on or possible in the toilet, that was what pushed me to decide I had had enough of Adam's boring, reactionary rants and repeated bits.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm kind of surprised at how many people liked Alison on the show. I mean she's not bad on her own but she was an awkward fit.

I'd add that Bald Bryan getting a bigger role on the show soured me as well. The guy genuinely seems to be a good dude and it's great that he's beaten brain cancer but he's just not entertaining. Don't mind him doing drops but he's not funny or interesting and seemed to talk all the loving time on the show.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Niwrad posted:

I'm kind of surprised at how many people liked Alison on the show. I mean she's not bad on her own but she was an awkward fit.

I'd add that Bald Bryan getting a bigger role on the show soured me as well. The guy genuinely seems to be a good dude and it's great that he's beaten brain cancer but he's just not entertaining. Don't mind him doing drops but he's not funny or interesting and seemed to talk all the loving time on the show.

When I said I quit when Alison was fired it wasn't because I liked her a lot, it was more because of the poo poo treatment to her. She just wasn't a good fit for the show. I actually enjoyed her solo podcast, just stopped listening because I ran out of time for it when I stopped driving two hours a day to work.

Really the prime of the show was when Teresa was on, she had different enough views and was able to debate Adam and he didn't always steamroll over her. When the radio show was on they actually released each episode segmented as podcasts and the news was one of my favorite things.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I liked Alison as a counter balance to Adam, even if she never completely filled the shoes Teresa left. I liked her enough that I quit when she was fired, but it certainly wasn't the only reason I gave up. I'm subbed to her podcast but I don't really ever listen to her, I guess it is there as an allegiance more than anything. I do however listen to the Film Vault every week, but I've definitely switched from listening to it because of Bryan to because of Anderson (mostly because he shits on Bryan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tweak posted:

I liked Alison as a counter balance to Adam, even if she never completely filled the shoes Teresa left. I liked her enough that I quit when she was fired, but it certainly wasn't the only reason I gave up. I'm subbed to her podcast but I don't really ever listen to her, I guess it is there as an allegiance more than anything. I do however listen to the Film Vault every week, but I've definitely switched from listening to it because of Bryan to because of Anderson (mostly because he shits on Bryan).

Hahahaha you literally just described me too. Subbed to Alison, listen to Film Vault because of Anderson buddies!