Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Fartbox posted:

every single marvel movie is fairly shallow. The ones who try to deal with heavy themes fail, imo

I don't know, the last one to try was Black Panther. Seems to have resonated pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I heard Thor did.

That took me way longer to get than I am comfortable to admit :golfclap:

Mulva posted:

I don't know, the last one to try was Black Panther. Seems to have resonated pretty well.

It resonated, but whether or not it was done well is open to discussion

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I always thought Steve and Luke would make a neat pairing.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Guardians 2 is one of the ones that I consider to have covered a complex theme. Lindsey Ellis did a whole blog on it that resonated with me. I mean it's not the most subtle thing since the villain is literally named Ego, but it workes.

Samuringa posted:

I always thought Steve and Luke would make a neat pairing.

Literally my favorite Defender and favorite Avenger. They would be the nicest guys solving a crime together and respecting the heck out of each other. They wouldn't curse at all. They'd try holding the door open for each other. It'd be great.

McCloud posted:

It resonated, but whether or not it was done well is open to discussion

The Earth being round has been open to discussion lately. That doesn't mean anything.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

BrianWilly posted:

Of all the possibilities, I think it's most likely for Luke Cage to appear in a Black Panther sequel at some point.

We will see X-Men and the Fantastic Four in the MCU before we see any Marvel Television characters joining the proper MCU. Amazing.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Hell yeah.

At least I've seen how "well done" Black Panther was with my own eyes. In order to believe that the world is round I have to trust my education which has failed me on multiple levels.
(Obviously I don't think the world is flat)

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

The Earth being round has been open to discussion lately. That doesn't mean anything.

BP's problems have been discussed at some length here I believe, so I'll spare you my contrarian rants on what I think its themes's shortcomings are, but there's certainly room to disagree with the BPs themes and its execution of them

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/dailydot/status/975746214535880704

One of em is Stan Lee

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Mulva posted:

You think Black Panther was deep? It was a popcorn movie with war rhinos

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nah it was pretty deep

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You really hated the rhinos, man.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A movie’s not deep unless it’s just an awful chore to watch.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

How am I supposed to appreciate what a movie says if it doesn't make me want to chew my arm off while it says it?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
The central message of this movie didn't appeal to my demo = not deep

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Movies are only meaningful if they're three hours long and are about white men grasping with the darkness of their soul

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

^^^^You have to be a really good actor to make that believable, white men don't have souls.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Look man, white people are oppressed all over the world

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Sgt. Politeness posted:

More like the central message was kneecapped because Disney is too scared of offending whitey, much like how WS was kneecapped because the idea that the US intelligence agencies being run by totalitarian fascists wouldn't go over well with the audience.

Disney's priority isn't to make artsy movies with deeper messages or ideas, it's to make money, and they are remarkably adept at that, but part of the equation means not rocking the boat too much.

site posted:

Movies are only meaningful if they're three hours long and are about white men grasping with the darkness of their soul

Movies are only as meaningful as you make them. In that regard, even the most banal and trite of movies can have tremendous meaning. I'm sure someone out there thinks tommy wiseaus The room is the pinnacle of cinema.

And for sure, Black Panther is a Very Important Movie, this cannot be understated, for reasons obvious to the posters here, and that is not in question.

Whether the movies attempt at conveying a theme was well done is a different discussion, but that is also tinted by personal opinion and how one chooses to interpret the movie.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Sgt. Politeness posted:

^^^^You have to be a really good actor to make that believable, white men don't have souls.

:hfive:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And also by how much of a shill one is for WB.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

And also by how much of a shill one is for WB.

Let's make something clear: I'm a shill for Zack Snyder.

I hate WB

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

McCloud posted:

More like the central message was kneecapped because Disney is too scared of offending whitey, much like how WS was kneecapped because the idea that the US intelligence agencies being run by totalitarian fascists wouldn't go over well with the audience.

Disney's priority isn't to make artsy movies with deeper messages or ideas, it's to make money, and they are remarkably adept at that, but part of the equation means not rocking the boat too much.

Movies are only as meaningful as you make them. In that regard, even the most banal and trite of movies can have tremendous meaning. I'm sure someone out there thinks tommy wiseaus The room is the pinnacle of cinema.

And for sure, Black Panther is a Very Important Movie, this cannot be understated, for reasons obvious to the posters here, and that is not in question.

Whether the movies attempt at conveying a theme was well done is a different discussion, but that is also tinted by personal opinion and how one chooses to interpret the movie.

I think it's also colored by the viewers experience and knowledge of American oppression and the colonization of Africa.

There's a reason Killmonger's character and him saying bury me with my ancestors who jumped from ships knowing death was better than bondage resonated with black Americans more than others.

FYI: We're also dissecting Killmonger heavily in Negrotown, for anyone interested.

Also for further reading:
Killmonger Was Wrong, and Y’all Know It

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 19, 2018

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So Black Panther is going to outgross The Avengers.

Like, this week.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Koalas March posted:

I think it's also colored by the viewers experience and knowledge of American oppression and the colonization of Africa.

There's a reason Killmonger's character and him saying bury me with my ancestors who jumped from ships knowing death was better than bondage resonated with black Americans more than others.

FYI: We're also dissecting Killmonger heavily in Negrotown, for anyone interested.

Also for further reading:
Killmonger Was Wrong, and Y’all Know It

Oh for sure, but it is my (limited) knowledge of American oppression that makes me disappointed that BP isn't harsher in its criticism. The caveat is of course that as a white non-american, there's a lot of nuance that gets lost on me.

I'll take a peek at negrotown though, sounds interesting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

So Black Panther is going to outgross The Avengers.

Like, this week.

BUT IT'S NOT REALLY THAT GOOD BECAUSE REASONS

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also everyone is totally tired of superhero movies.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Rhyno posted:

It's actually super good because Avengers is poo poo. Plus it rankles the right people that a black superhero goes to the top.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Also everyone is totally tired of superhero movies.

At this point I'm wondering Feige has a scrapbook of all those superhero fatigue articles and he browses through it every once and a while for laughs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everyone prepare yourselves for the “All the money goes to white guys anyway” articles.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Kind of a dumb argument to make that highly grossing movies are the best

That means Avatar was actually a masterpiece instead of a mediocre sci-fi flick with a pocahontas plot.

poo poo, Jurassic World is the fourth highest grossing movie of all time lol

Not the original Jurassic Park

Jurassic World

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Fartbox posted:

That means Avatar was actually a masterpiece instead of a mediocre sci-fi flick with a pocahontas plot.

Jurassic World

I think he means Black Panther outgrossing Avengers, not the quality of the movie.

Although I would side eye anyone who says it's not at least in the top 3 marvel films.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Guardians 1 and 2 and Thor 3 are better imo

but I guess I just like space stuff more than war rhinos

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Fartbox posted:

Same, except the first Thor, too.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Fartbox posted:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Winter Soldier, GotG, Thor3, BP.

Gotta expand he best of area when you got more good flicks.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Phylodox posted:

Same, except the first Thor, too.

Get out.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Come at me, bro.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fartbox posted:

Jurassic World

It’s Dances with Wolves genius, they don’t accept the white guy in Pocahontas. The climax is his execution attempt.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Everyone prepare yourselves for the “All the money goes to white guys anyway” articles.

Yeah, white people who have now been incentivized to bankroll more Black productions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Fartbox posted:

Bro show me on the doll where the rhino touched you

• Locked thread