Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

lmao

I.N.R.I posted:

thank you very much for the heads up .. i think ill do it then. sony arent updating it anymore right ?

Don't update to 4.81 from Sony is all.

Frenz posted:

Nice. I installed a 1tb internal drive and have been sending games to that over ftp with webman and havent had any problems (as long as a transfer isn’t in progress.) Have you played around with any fan control settings? I have a cecha01 that I would like to run cooler than it does but I’m wary about changing those...

You wanna know how nuts I am about this thing? I have the one from when it came out mentioned in the OP. I opened it up and replaced the thermal paste and also cut out the grating in the back (so technically you can now stick your fingers in the fan blades) because of how paranoid I am about this thing ever dying on me.

But wait there's more. I also got a second one from a guy who replaces all of the lead free solder with lead solder. So even if it gets stupid hot, it will never desolder on its own.

That being said the number thing I wanna do is make the power supply external because you can no joke fry an egg on that thing but there isn't a single good guide out there on how to do it.

Anyway yeah you can safely speed up the fan if you like. The only negative is it's louder. My stock PS3 always sounded like a jet engine when it upscaled DVDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

That being said the number thing I wanna do is make the power supply external because you can no joke fry an egg on that thing but there isn't a single good guide out there on how to do it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I'm on 4.82 and it works fine

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Lmao

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
sony is going to give me $65 just for own a ps3 fat

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

emoji posted:

I'm on 4.82 and it works fine

CFW I assume? I read Sony patched the hack in whatever the newest ps3 firmware is

lmfao I completely forgot about this. Reminded me of this classic

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

I.N.R.I posted:

maybe yours can .. i only have a laptop though. and its poo poo

sorry

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

CFW I assume? I read Sony patched the hack in whatever the newest ps3 firmware is

lmfao I completely forgot about this. Reminded me of this classic

No the new one requires .81 or .82. Mine is super slim and has no cfw possible. The new exploit is userland based and doesn't fux with kernels and firmware and poo poo

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

lmao

You wanna know how nuts I am about this thing? I have the one from when it came out mentioned in the OP. I opened it up and replaced the thermal paste and also cut out the grating in the back (so technically you can now stick your fingers in the fan blades) because of how paranoid I am about this thing ever dying on me.

But wait there's more. I also got a second one from a guy who replaces all of the lead free solder with lead solder. So even if it gets stupid hot, it will never desolder on its own.

Anyway yeah you can safely speed up the fan if you like. The only negative is it's louder. My stock PS3 always sounded like a jet engine when it upscaled DVDs.

You can also swap in the power supply from one of the 80gb mgs4 models which runs cooler apparently. Anyway I got my launch model from the reballing genius guy you linked itt but he was only selling ones with lead-free solder unfortunately.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
For everyone in this thread being so wonderful, I offer you all the gift of $65 for free:

https://www.polygon.com/linux/2018/3/18/17135994/playstation-3-otheros-settlement-lawsuit-linux

Use the money to buy an external hard drive or beer or feed the homeless or something. Either way, enjoy!

Frenz posted:

You can also swap in the power supply from one of the 80gb mgs4 models which runs cooler apparently. Anyway I got my launch model from the reballing genius guy you linked itt but he was only selling ones with lead-free solder unfortunately.

drat he must have just started that. I looked and he no longer sells on eBay. Try contacting him through his website. Maybe he was scared to sell leaded solder to Californians or something.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
The Nintendo Switch has just been hacked no matter what firmware you're on!

https://twitter.com/fail0verflow/status/988445232445378561

Basically by shorting a contact in the joycon port and pressing the volume up button it boots the switch into a recovery mode that lets you install custom firmware, people are already putting Linux on it etc lol. Im happy because it will be God's Perfect Emulation Machine but i'm unhappy about people pirating Switch games and god help me if I ever see a hacker in Splatoon

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

goferchan posted:

The Nintendo Switch has just been hacked no matter what firmware you're on!

https://twitter.com/fail0verflow/status/988445232445378561

Basically by shorting a contact in the joycon port and pressing the volume up button it boots the switch into a recovery mode that lets you install custom firmware, people are already putting Linux on it etc lol. Im happy because it will be God's Perfect Emulation Machine but i'm unhappy about people pirating Switch games and god help me if I ever see a hacker in Splatoon

I posted my thread the same exact time you made this reply lol

I don't think it will gently caress Nintendo too much. The 3DS is completely open and games still sell well on it

"Hacking" the DS was the easiest thing in the world (put a flash cart in the system instead of a game) and it didn't seem to destroy sales or anything

I think people use that as a convenient excuse for the Dreamcast because it was a great system and peeps don't wanna admit that Sega was just a failson of business decisions

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I won't hack my switch for like 7 years probably but I hope it can run PS2 games.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

I won't hack my switch for like 7 years probably but I hope it can run PS2 games.

the ultimate rpg dream

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

it can't due to it being literally an android phone https://www.yospos.org for more inforo

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'd probably buy a 2nd Switch to use as an emulation device if whatever custom firmware they come up with for it is pretty slick, even though you can buy like a $40 Raspberry Pi thing that does the exact same thing.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Check out this cool dude from the games thread though

nopantsjack posted:

there are still like 3 or 4 games i want during the switch's lifecycle so i wouldnt wanna crack it now anyway cause then i'd be paranoid, but its nice to know some time in the future I'll go, "oh right, i have that switch," and be able to finally loving play yoshi's island or viewtiful joe on it

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic
The uh... Yeah the rpi is cool and cheap but it's not remotely the same thing. I wish you were joking :( people are really dumb sometimes and it hurts my heart

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Cobalt Viper posted:

Check out this cool dude from the games thread though

lol i had 3 or 4 games for it on launch day

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

lmao

The ps3 I bought from the reballing genius guy just died (YLOD) within 30 minutes of booting a ps3 game for the first time.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Frenz posted:

The ps3 I bought from the reballing genius guy just died (YLOD) within 30 minutes of booting a ps3 game for the first time.

Contact him. It has a one year warranty.

Was it lead-free solder?

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

I will and yes it was. My temps always looked fine for an early 60gig but who knows.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Frenz posted:

I will and yes it was. My temps always looked fine for an early 60gig but who knows.

It's that loving PSU man. I'm telling you, I opened my ps3 once after it was on for an hour and the PSU actually loving burned me. Not like just warm. It was boiling hot.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to figure out how to make the PSU external if it's the last thing I do

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I'm going to figure out how to make the PSU external if it's the last thing I do

I was looking this up and the stock PSU on the original is like 60% efficient it's appalling.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

P-Mack posted:

I was looking this up and the stock PSU on the original is like 60% efficient it's appalling.

Boiling hot is not an exaggeration when I touched it

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

fry an egg on it then

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Boiling hot is not an exaggeration when I touched it

The original $599 ps3 is a Biblical beast that needs to be rebuilt every 100hrs like an F1 car.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZO9DPPwgyw

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

bitches with good pussy piss loud af!!

Sound like they grillin steak on a ps3

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HORMELCHILI posted:

bitches with good pussy piss loud af!!

Sound like they grillin steak on a ps3

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The PS Vita has just been hacked no matter what firmware you're on!

https://mobile.twitter.com/theflow0/status/1013361738950107136?s=19

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

thats more like it

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In Training posted:

gently caress YES

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

fuckin awesome, thanks

I read somewhere that it's a good idea to go to 3.65 instead of the latest one? any truth to that?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It says in the readme that 3.65 lets you install a "permanent hack" but no really sure what that means, because if you power cycle the console ever you have to relaunch the exploit to start homebrew stuff. I'm dumb about computers though

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Me too

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
my guess its that its future proof and will let you update your vita and use it online and stuff without ever having to update the hack, like the 3ds one. basically, once youve installed it, youll always be able to use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh good call. Well it doesn't matter for me, since I'm on 3.68 anyway