Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Assuming the BRDM has the shutters closed for combat (unless they're open because they were caught by surprised) how can you hope to disable this thing without explosives?

By firing a bigger bullet at it than we have access to right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
"caught by surprised" :doh:

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
I know that in one study of the Afghan war, there was a story about BTR disabled by a defecting soldier casually walking up to it while it was on its approach march and tossing a grenade under it. The explosion tore up the transmission, badly wounded the crew and the passengers, and in the confusion the defector strolled off. (This was 1980, which explains everything.)

Soooo start those explosions!

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

T+2:46 to T+2:48

Bac and Reginald line up on their targets and let their Minimis roar. Reginald's Tango shakes a bit then collapses like a sack of potatoes. Bac's first burst is off target, and when he tries to correct it he hears a sound that is all too familiar to him: the Devil's own electric razor. He's not the target, though - Reginald is. Bac mentally counts the gauzes he has left as he glances at Reginald, and realizes it is futile. There's no first aid that helps against having your brains messily strewn across the floor. Knowing he's about to face return fire from multiple angles, he does the wise thing and ducks back into cover, his good hand going for the radio.

"Calling Headhunter 3! Immediate fire on the orchard farmhouse north side. Say again, immediate fire on gently caress it Laddie fire on the loving orchard farmhouse!"

Having seen muzzles flashes through his old bullet holes, Redshirt Lad knows exactly where to aim.

To his right, Fyksen and Carwash are dragging the Browning into cover under a hail of heavy machinegun fire. It's heavy, immensely heavy, and the legs, designed to be sturdy and stable under recoil, seems to snag on every pebble and blade of grass. Still, they get it into cover.

code:
BAC FIRING ON TANGO 11
Skill: 11
Aim Time: 2 (-18)
Range: 33 (+8)
Target in Cover: +2
Kneeling Shooter: +4
Bipod Braced: +5
One Hand: -7
Effective Accuracy: 5
Elevation Hit Chance: 20%

MISS! (Scatter 7; 1 hex)
code:
REGINALD FIRING ON TANGO 13
Aim Time: 4 (-10)
Range: 32 (+8)
Effective Accuracy: 15
Elevation Hit Chance: 58% 

SUCCESS!

Arc of Fire: 0.25
ROF: 8
Hit Chance: 69%

5 HITS!

Forehead: 140000 Damage (Skull Fracture, Severe TBI, Skull Fracture)
Right Shoulder Glance: 7 Damage
Right Shoulder Glance: 7 Damage
Weapon: Weapon Disabled!
Left Shoulder Glance: 7 Damage
code:
REGINALD FIRING ON TANGO 12
Hit in Elevation: Automatic!

Arc of Fire: 2
Hit Chance: 9%

0 HITS!
code:
BAC FIRING ON TANGO 11

Arc of Fire: 2

0 HITS!
code:
UNKNOWN TANGO FIRING ON REGINALD
Skill: 10
Aim Time: 4 (-9)
Range: 14 (+14)
Effective Accuracy: 26
Elevation Hit Chance: 99% 

SUCCESS!

Arc of Fire: 0.32 hexes
ROF: 10
Hit Chance: 54%

6 HITS!
Left Arm Glance: 15 Damage (Continues into Left Shoulder)
Left Shoulder - Scapula: 935 Damage (Scapula Fracture)
Head Glance: 1800 Damage (Skull Fracture)
Left Elbow: 120 Damage (Elbow Joint Fracture, Continues into Left Shoulder - Scapula)
Left Shoulder - Scapula: 935 Damage (Scapula Fracture)
Right Shoulder Glance: 15 Damage
Forehead: 570000 Damage (Skull Fracture, Severe TBI, Skull Fracture)
Left Forearm Bone: 60 Damage (Radius Fracture, Continues into Upper Chest - Rib - Lung)
Upper Chest - Rib - Lung: 795 Damage (Rib Fracture, Punctured Lung, Rib Fracture)

Adjusted Damage: 410482

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Let's Play Phoenix Command: Adjusted Damage 410482

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
Let's Play Phoenix Command: There's no first aid that helps

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

How can a single human skull hold 570000 points of damage...?

Oh

Oh, I see

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

R.I.P. Reginald
He never scored.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
:stare:

I’m so glad that Shakey Jake took that bullet in the opening seconds of the opening mission. It saved him from taking so many bullets in this mission.

There’s just brains spread everywhere at this point, huh?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
This game is a body horror simulator with a light military theme bolted on.

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009

pthighs posted:

This game is a body horror simulator with a light military theme bolted on.

Phoenix Command: The inofficial Bad Taste RPG.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
C'est la guerre

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If the party doesn't fight a T-Rex then it has failed

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I would not want to be the funeral director in charge of that mess.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
Congrats to Reginald Ffinch-Ffarrowmere for being the most thoroughly killed goon yet!

(For comparison, Sticky took 52k damage from hits in the shoulder, spine and stomach, then bled out. Hugh Mann took 186k by being shot through the heart.)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SPLAT

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Is the helmet ok??? :ohdear:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Pick, this book may help spark some ideas for you.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_and_First_Men

Whoops, wrong thread. Check out the cool book tho.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 20, 2018

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Emy posted:

Congrats to Reginald Ffinch-Ffarrowmere for being the most thoroughly killed goon yet!

(For comparison, Sticky took 52k damage from hits in the shoulder, spine and stomach, then bled out. Hugh Mann took 186k by being shot through the heart.)

drat record stealing sunuvabitch!:argh:

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
The good news is he still has 1 lung intact!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Soooo what are the chances of us actually completing the objectives here so far? And yayyy KIA!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Steamy Hams is on the case with his trusty noobstick, never fear

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Ikasuhito posted:

drat record stealing sunuvabitch!:argh:

By that standard, the damage table doesn't go any higher than poor Tango 3 in this mission.

wedgekree posted:

Soooo what are the chances of us actually completing the objectives here so far?

The only big thing blocking us from completing this objective is this damnable BRDM. If we do anything to disable it, whether hitting it with a grenade launcher or getting the M2 back in action to light it up if it pulls closer, we can win.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So we hpoe that we can slow the car down wtih guns long enough to get guns that can actually damage it!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

wedgekree posted:

So we hpoe that we can slow the car down wtih guns long enough to get guns that can actually damage it!

Well, right now, it's busy shooting where the M2 used to be! Someone else with a grenade launcher, or even Redshirt Lad, can fire on it to draw aggro while we reset the M2, if you're really desperate!

EDIT: Or we could pop lots of smoke and force it to come into a range where our bullets can penetrate.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 20, 2018

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Well, I could get out a piece of paper and start sketching..

Anyone have some pencils or pens?

My handwriting is probably really bad so I'd probably just end up writing 'FIRE BAD' but wtih misspellings if left to my own devices.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

This is a commando raid. poo poo's gone sideways. Fade into the night.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Pvt.Scott posted:

This is a commando raid. poo poo's gone sideways. Fade into the night.

We've been doing well enough, so far. We've killed the Dushka crew and have inflicted at least 2:1 losses.

If we can't kill that armored car quickly, though, we'd better bug out. And then scream at the Rangers to give us some AT-4s or LAWs or something for when we go back in next try.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Bacarruda posted:

We've been doing well enough, so far. We've killed the Dushka crew and have inflicted at least 2:1 losses.

If we can't kill that armored car quickly, though, we'd better bug out. And then scream at the Rangers to give us some AT-4s or LAWs or something for when we go back in next try.

Personally I think us going on this sort of op with only ten men when we were guessing there were at -least- an understrength platoon present + the crew of the command vehicle even for a hit and run is a 'this can't end well under best circumstances' thing. Not when they had at least light vehicles and heavy weapons support. We're -going- to take losses when our intel is only moderate and we're outnumbered and outgunned. Planning only gets us so far!

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

wedgekree posted:

Personally I think us going on this sort of op with only ten men when we were guessing there were at -least- an understrength platoon present + the crew of the command vehicle even for a hit and run is a 'this can't end well under best circumstances' thing. Not when they had at least light vehicles and heavy weapons support. We're -going- to take losses when our intel is only moderate and we're outnumbered and outgunned. Planning only gets us so far!

That's a good thing, though, it means more goons get out of the reserves and into bodybags the field. Speaking of, LatwPIAT, could you put Harry "Hateball" Benson in the reserves, please?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

wedgekree posted:

The name of the game for small unit tactics is fire superiority.

Plan Dakka's core assumption was that we'd be able to get fire superiority. That's why I packed four MGs and two grenade launchers - I figured we'd be able to outshoot the enemy, even if we couldn't outnumber them.

At the start of the battle, we had fire superiority. We killed a shitload of people..

And then we lost fire superiority. One, the BRDM suppressed the HMG team - wounding Carwash and suppressing Fyksen. We've lost Carwash's M2HB and Fyksen's grenade launcher for the time being. Two, the MG-3 took down our Minimi section, killing Reginald and wounding Bac. Bac's (barely) back in the fight, but that section is probably only 15-25% effective now.

Moving forwards, we need to 1) get Reginald's Minimi back in the fight - give it one of the assaulters, 2) get Carwash's M2HB (and Fyksen's 40mm) back in the fight - maybe the two can swap weapons, 3) kill or chase off the BRDM-2 - 40mm or .50 cal fire would work well for this, 4) make sure the Dushka dones't get re-manned - throw the odd 40mm into the manor house to keep heads down.

If we can get back fire superiority and seize the initiative, we can win. If we can't, we should break contact and beg for some proper anti-armor weapons.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

A withdrawal might be in order.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I reckon pull back and get the gently caress out of there, disengage long enough that they lose us in the darkness. We've got all night, there's no reason to stay in the line of fire against a KPVT when we have the initiative. What we need to do is lose these motherfuckers and come at the SAM from a direction where that BRDM isn't. Bac's right, we've lost fire superiority - disengage and set up for a new engagement is way less risky than sorta trying to get a 40mm onto an aggro IFV from the front while it hoses you with 14.5mm.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

T+2:48 to T+2:50

The KPVT goes silent, and the wind scatters the stone dust. Redshirt Lad lines up his sights on the northern wall of the orchard farmhouse and pulls the trigger. Adrenalin pulsing through his veins, he jerks it a little too hard - the burst flies over the roof of the building. He takes a deep breath, holds it, and pulls the trigger again. He holds the trigger for as long as he dares, then starts legging it; the BRDM-2 must have seen that!

Frankenstein reaches a window and takes up a firing position, Radec following just behind her. Strap turns around in the stairs and heads for what's left of Reginald; they're going to need that Minimi soon.

code:
REDSHIRT LAD FIRING ON TANGO 14
Aim Time: 2 (-19)
Range: 75 (+2)
Blind Fire: +15
Effective Accuracy: 18
Hit Chance: 74%

MISS!
code:
REDSHIRT LAD FIRING ON TANGO 14
Aim Time: 3 (-13)
Range: 75 (+2)
Effective Accuracy: 24
Elevation Hit Chance: 96%

SUCCESS!

Blind Fire on Tango 14
Bullets in Hex: 8
Prone Target Hit Chance: 4%

MISS!
code:
REDSHIRT LAD FIRING ON TANGO 14 (2x)

Blind Fire on Tango 14
Bullets in Hex: 8 (2x)
Prone Target Hit Chance: 4%

2 HITS!

Hip - Spine: 19000 Damage (Vertebra Fracture)
Skull: 270000 Damage (Skull Fracture, Severe TBI, Skull Fracture)
T+2:50 to T+2:52

The house explodes in a shower of splinters around Lad. The bullets pursue him from room to room. As the burst passes over him, his hip explodes in pain. Then all goes dark.

On the other side of the map, Radec and Frankenstein are set up and watching the cluster to the SE. Strap prepares to round the corner and grab Minimi and Bac.

code:
BRDM-2 FIRING AT REDSHIRT LAD
Aim Time: 2 (-28)
Range: 81 (+1)
Firing At Muzzle Flash: -10
Effective Skill: -15
Hit Chance: 2%

MISS!
code:
Effective Skill: -2

SUCCESS!

Blind Fire
2 Bullets in Hex
Standing Target
Hit Chance: 17%

1 HIT!

Hip - Intestines - Pelvis: 3900 Damage (Intestinal Rupture, Shattered Pelvis)
Adjusted Damage: 2294
Redshirt Lad is Unconscious for 32 Hours!
code:
Effective Skill: -2

MISS!

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 20, 2018

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

This is gonna be good PR for the FACCT program

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Intestinal Rupture, Shattered Pelvis are definitly songs by some unknown hair metal band.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Intestinal Rupture, Shattered Pelvis are definitly songs by some unknown hair metal band.

Get your genres right, those are clearly death metal songs.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

T+2:52 to T+2:54

Strap hunches around the corner and heads for Reginald's Minimi. At the same time, Frankenstein and Radec spot the BRDM-2 lurch into sight:

On the other side of the map, Fyksen and Carwash continue creeping along behind the stone fence. With luck, they'll be able to set up on the other end.

T+2:54 to T+2:56

"This is RED, enemy car moving. Ell-Oh-Ess on RED and BLUE." Frankenstein's voice sparks over the radios.

Bac pulls a smoke grenade from his pocket and hands it to Strap.

Team WHITE continue their redeployment.

T+2:56 to T+2:58

Strap sets his weapon down, pulls the pin, and throws the grenade out the window.

Carwash flinches every time they move the tripod. She's biting down on the sleeve of her broken arm and using it as an improvised sling, but it still hurts like gently caress. The fabric is wet, heavy, and tastes of blood. She has to pause every few seconds to bite down on a scream. Still, they're almost at the corner.

code:
STRAP THROWING SMOKE GRENADE
Skill: 9
Range: 12 (+15)
Aim Time: 2 (-18)
Hex Target: +12
Hit Chance: 54%

MISS! (Scatter 6; 1 hex S)

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

There’s no way you can sustain those losses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Pop smoke.

More smoke.

Exfil.

• Locked thread