Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Started up a new game with India as my sponsor with an oligarch founder. Being able to spawn a medium dome right off the bat next to a bunch of resources is nice and since I got the cryogenic tech breakthrough, my founder rocket had 32 people in it, enough to fill one whole arcology and man all my poo poo. :woop:

Of course the food shortage nearly killed my colony right there, but I got production up in the nick of time and my people popped out babies so fast my founder stage lasted like 2 or 3 sols!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Why does this game not have condom technology? Or the pill? Or some sort of birth control. You would imagine that people capable of settling on a hostile planet would come up with ideas about needing to control their population growth to sustainable levels.

Worry not! There is a solution! Euthanasia!

Not only can you, but you periodically should! Seniors take up housing space of productive workers. There is literally only one downside to murdering your colonist. It makes other people in the same dome unhappy, which does not matter if you stick them all in the same dome and are killing them, all and it makes you lose perspective settlers from Earth. That's it. There are no other negative side effects. After you've your first or second Dome set up, you may not even need two important to settlers. If you want to be slightly less murderous, make a dome, fill it with nothing but houses and drop one grocer in there so they don't starve to death. You don't need to staff the grocer, just put it in there, it acts as a food distribution point. And when it periodically fills up, just cut the power.. if you want to improve their happiness a bit, drop some gardens in there and a gym.

You can control who goes into a dome by various categories, exclude seniors from every dome except one and in that last only allows seniors in.

As for children, there's no reason you can't set up children's domes, however you should also drop some schools in there as well. So make all of your domes not accept children were seniors. And if you have too many children, just cut the oxygen! Their parents in other domes won't get upset.

Mars is a cold, cold and red planet. Red having been bathed in the blood of the innocent and the infirm.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I'm honestly kinda grateful that fusion reactors need to be crewed just because it gives all my homeless transients something to do. That and polymer refineries but fusion reactors don't eat up water.

Oh word?

also:

IcePhoenix posted:

I'll have to load up the 'ol colony and test this I think.

I did indeed check this out and my sanitorium does have seniors in it currently, so the Phoenix Dome works as intended.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 20, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Is there any drawback to just pumping out research before you bring people in? I'm using a Europe/Politician run and I can run hot for a really long time without actually using any colonists. Or really anything.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Is there any drawback to just pumping out research before you bring people in? I'm using a Europe/Politician run and I can run hot for a really long time without actually using any colonists. Or really anything.

I'd say you'll run out of metal for maintenance you can access without colonists but if you just sit around for 100 sols doing nothing I'm not sure what would happen. I'd assume your mystery would kick in at some point and murder you but I'm not patient enough to run a game with no buildings to generate infinite science to find out.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Oh so there's a breakthrough that lets you harvest resources indefinitely, and you have to get lucky and roll it. I wish it was that way from the start. Having the extractor rates slowly curve down to like a 10% minimum would be even better.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Split Pea Superman posted:

Oh so there's a breakthrough that lets you harvest resources indefinitely, and you have to get lucky and roll it. I wish it was that way from the start. Having the extractor rates slowly curve down to like a 10% minimum would be even better.

Do they harvest at the same rate or do they scale back?

Griz
May 21, 2001

Pirate Radar posted:

"All extractors continue to extract small amounts when their deposit is depleted"

I got that as my second breakthrough so I haven't actually depleted anything yet except concrete, and those get immediately removed to make room for more waste rock piles.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

So I think I found a bug that I’m gonna use to farm as many cheevos as I can get this game and then try a new sponsor. (I’m not usually one for achievements, but hey, it’s something to do.)

I want infinite free resources/mystery spoilers:
Started a game as SpaceY which has reduced import costs for advanced materials (polymers, electronics, machine parts). I randomly got ‘The Last War’ mystery which apparently is one of the harder ones and BOY it can be difficult to beat if you get boned on timing. One of the rewards is reduced import costs. Together, those two bonuses have made advanced materials completely free of charge to import and once you have the space elevator it’s basically instant.

The Last War is tough. I am working hard not to spoil myself on any mysteries, so I didn’t look up any details. First they start to take away your ability to import colonists or any goods. Yikes. There are a few events where you can either take a bonus for yourself or help slow the war. Eventually you also lose the ability to send rockets at all.

They hit you with a pretty nasty meteor shower as an “attack” on mars a couple of times and this threatened to put me into a hellish death spiral as I was already low on electronics, and now getting lower as I had to repair a ton of things to get my grid and life support back up and running. I lost somewhere around 40 colonists from one dome that I couldn’t afford to get a tunnel repaired in time to save them. This also put a ton of poo poo beyond that tunnel is disrepair, which sucked up even more electronics in maintenance and rebuilding.

Sure enough my electronics factories were in that dead dome. Once I stabilized, Earth proceeded to send me bunches of refugees which was alright at the time but only because of my deaths, then they demand rare metals as a way to stop the war, and THEN send five rockets demanding all sorts of poo poo you produce. AND THEN send you a 100 person refugee rocket. It’s sure something.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Apparently Idiots can even break the University they're studying at. Fuckin' hell.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
God drat it game, give me a Guru without Idiot!!!

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pirate Radar posted:

Metal harvesters seem to harvest at about 10% of what it was earlier, might be 20%. Interestingly enough the concrete harvester I rebuilt is going at full production. Would have loved that last game as I'd harvested a full half of the map, and exhausted all the waste rock on building new domes for more metal.

Resources on the map seem to be balanced around staving off collapse for just enough time for your researchers to do something other than pimping patents back home. It's kinda disappointing. I don't even think a regular metal deposit has enough in it to cover more than the dome, the life support, and 30-40 days of maintenance. Definitely not enough to build up at the next deposit. I am having quite a bit of fun with the game, but some of the design choices are really questionable.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo this game doesn't explain anything to you. I had no idea that tunnels were built from one end only and figured that in my current game I was doomed to live in a crater until I could be bothered basically landing a whole new settlement on the high ground. The pipe/cable removal thing is good to know too but the fact you have to research demolition to remove them completely is retarded. Anyways, I'm having a good time building poo poo and micromanaging things. The soundtrack is kickass too.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

comatose posted:

Holy poo poo this game doesn't explain anything to you. I had no idea that tunnels were built from one end only and figured that in my current game I was doomed to live in a crater until I could be bothered basically landing a whole new settlement on the high ground. The pipe/cable removal thing is good to know too but the fact you have to research demolition to remove them completely is retarded. Anyways, I'm having a good time building poo poo and micromanaging things. The soundtrack is kickass too.

It'll tell you that the other end needs a drone hub, so you're right to be confused. Make sure you have enough supplies to build it, or else the rest of your colony might collapse. It's 30 machine parts, and those are already in high demand by extractors.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
What's a good first dome setup? I usually do something like 3x living quarters, 1x farm, 1x machine parts factory, 1x grocery, 1x infirmary, a polymer factory, and a park of some kind. 42 colonists isn't enough to work all of the buildings 24/7 but it covers a lot of bases and keeps your infrastructure up and running. It doesn't meet the colonists social needs though so I lose them periodically.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Oh, the last part of Marsgate triggered I guess. How am I supposed to know how many rocket launchers is a good number? What their actual range is? Etc, etc. Anyway unless they just go away in the end RIP my rear end, I can’t afford a new drone rover and there are no more of theirs left in range for me to steal.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Griz posted:

"All extractors continue to extract small amounts when their deposit is depleted"

I got that as my second breakthrough so I haven't actually depleted anything yet except concrete, and those get immediately removed to make room for more waste rock piles.

Metal keeps producing at about 15 - 20% original rate. Kinda sucks IMO, given that it takes one of your breakthrough rolls and you have to actually spend time researching it. Got it + extractor AI in my current game and if I didn't have extractor AI to combo it, I wouldn't bother. Even then I still decided to start researching moholes anyhow. Not sure about concrete, now that I look at it it my concrete extractor is giving me 10.7 / day (no bonuses or upgrades IIRC) when I think the default rate is 20? If so this may be more oriented towards concrete than metal.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

What's a good first dome setup? I usually do something like 3x living quarters, 1x farm, 1x machine parts factory, 1x grocery, 1x infirmary, a polymer factory, and a park of some kind. 42 colonists isn't enough to work all of the buildings 24/7 but it covers a lot of bases and keeps your infrastructure up and running. It doesn't meet the colonists social needs though so I lose them periodically.

Mine's been pretty similar, though for me it's been 1 machine factory, 1 diner, 1 infirmary, 1 farm, 1 art store, and the rest filled with a mix of parks and 2x apartments, or just living quarters depending on my tech rolls. So far I've decided not to start a dome for real until I'm ready for at least small scale polymer production, hence the art store.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Pirate Radar posted:

Oh, the last part of Marsgate triggered I guess. How am I supposed to know how many rocket launchers is a good number? What their actual range is? Etc, etc. Anyway unless they just go away in the end RIP my rear end, I can’t afford a new drone rover and there are no more of theirs left in range for me to steal.

Marsgate tips: Their range is pretty drat far, but so is the enemy rovers'. It's about 2 - 2.5x the radius indicated in the UI. My recommendation is to put up 3x turrets in a cluster at the edges of your base where the drones are likely to approach from, and otherwise just give a light blanket that covers everything critical. When they attack they will take out some of your turrets but none of them got past a triple cluster (this is assuming you're repairing losses) in my sole experience with it.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 20, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So there was one more rover I’d captured and forgotten about, and two of theirs left. I got one, and the other... is on top of a plateau for some loving reason. So I guess I have to build a tunnel if I want to finish the mystery?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Yeah they're basically old school Daleks, defeated by a steep incline. You might be able to snipe if you approach with your rover from the right position and don't get yours killed.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Free Earth Radio is my favorite videogame soundtrack since Tropico 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eA8YEeLHQA

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I managed to get close enough to the foot of the plateau to be in range and finished it but it doesn’t look like my colony will survive the damage that’s already been done :(

Got the achievement though!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kibbles n Shits posted:

i do something like this where i make sure i have one inside job and one outside job. so like on six slice basic dome i'd do

-houses
-houses
-houses
-infirmary/diner/grocer/small park
-food/security/???/small park (can swap out security for something else, i personally like the symmetry of the towers next to each other)
-production building (large factory, 3x labs, etc.)

mostly so i can segregate my basic domes by general specialization like science dome, industrial dome, kids dome, etc.

also it's not as important to reach self sufficiency too early so long as you're paying attention. it's cheap enough to order new advanced materials from earth, and it's not necessary always to start off with windmills when you can get by with a stirling and much cheaper solar panels, so long as you are sure to turn off fuel refineries and extractors overnight

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Well this is awfully rude.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 20, 2018

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Got real mad earlier tonight when I depleted the water source I was mining without any kind of in game warning about it getting low. The only notice I got was when my water towers dried up and then got the domes without water alert. The nearest water deposit is 2/3s of the way across the map, really doubting that I'll be able to get pipes all the way over there and get multiple water drills down but we'll see tomorrow. Might have to save scum and get out ahead of it.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Is there a technology or building that extends the area colonists can wander out from domes for working? I have a metal and precious metal deposit close to each other but my small dome can only be built close enough to one of them (I'd say 4-5 hexes too far).

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
For one of my mystery:
I also got Marsgate. Although it's rated hard I literally just picked all the most honest and noble option and that ended the story. I went to a UN hearing and Esocorp got universally condemned and the Earth governments reaffirmed the commitment to a weapon free Mars. Actually it was the first mystery I encountered so I was really disappointed and thought that was the scale of all the other mysteries. I am glad it was probably just luck and all the other mysteries I did so far are much more involved.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 20, 2018

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

pedro0930 posted:

For one of my mystery:
I also got Marsgate. Although it's rated hard I literally just picked all the most honest and noble option and that ended the story. I went to a UN hearing and Esocorp got universally condemned and the Earth governments reaffirmed the commitment to a weapon free Mars. Actually it was the first mystery I encountered so I was really disappointed and thought that was the scale of all the other mysteries. I am glad it was probably just luck and all the other mysteries I did so far are much more involved.

Did you get the achievement yet? Because if you didn't, poo poo's not done yet.

Up to the UN part for me as I chose a different option:
I chose to blackmail Esocorp which gave me an immediate pay-off of 30 rare metals and I could still repair their half-assed war-bots for $500M each time they broke down. After a while one of my colonists managed to sneak out and record this going on and blew the whistle themselves. The UN understood the position that we were trying to make the best of a deal involving having weapons platforms driving around our unarmed, fairly fragile colony but we lost a bit of standing which was represented by having a bunch of citizens turned renegade and stealing supplies every so often.

After the UN:
Eventually Esocorp out of spite launches a bunch of those drones at once, and you have to drop everything and research a special breakthrough tech that unlocks missile launcher to be placed around your base. The drones will wander about and launch missiles in return, so you'll need 2-3 around a dome. Any destroyed Esocorp drone can be salvaged for a decent haul of polymers and electronics...or after the first wave you can repair them and make them into your drones instead as additional/mobile weapons platforms. After they blow their load and you're still standing the authorities go "what the goddamn gently caress do you think you're doing?" and mega-arrest the idiots.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

canepazzo posted:

Is there a technology or building that extends the area colonists can wander out from domes for working? I have a metal and precious metal deposit close to each other but my small dome can only be built close enough to one of them (I'd say 4-5 hexes too far).

Haven't seen any in the three games I've gone through. The extractors can reach another 2-3 hexes though so you might be able to make it if you didn't factor that in. Could wait for a bigger dome tech too if you have the time.

Would suck to build the dome and have the extractors be off by one hex though.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Diogines posted:

Why does this game not have condom technology? Or the pill? Or some sort of birth control. You would imagine that people capable of settling on a hostile planet would come up with ideas about needing to control their population growth to sustainable levels.

Worry not! There is a solution! Euthanasia!

Not only can you, but you periodically should! Seniors take up housing space of productive workers. There is literally only one downside to murdering your colonist. It makes other people in the same dome unhappy, which does not matter if you stick them all in the same dome and are killing them, all and it makes you lose perspective settlers from Earth. That's it. There are no other negative side effects. After you've your first or second Dome set up, you may not even need two important to settlers. If you want to be slightly less murderous, make a dome, fill it with nothing but houses and drop one grocer in there so they don't starve to death. You don't need to staff the grocer, just put it in there, it acts as a food distribution point. And when it periodically fills up, just cut the power.. if you want to improve their happiness a bit, drop some gardens in there and a gym.

You can control who goes into a dome by various categories, exclude seniors from every dome except one and in that last only allows seniors in.

As for children, there's no reason you can't set up children's domes, however you should also drop some schools in there as well. So make all of your domes not accept children were seniors. And if you have too many children, just cut the oxygen! Their parents in other domes won't get upset.

Mars is a cold, cold and red planet. Red having been bathed in the blood of the innocent and the infirm.

The game does have birth control. The answer is robots.

The biorobot tech is pretty damned amazing. Build a colonist that eats and has perks, but never dies of old age. Right now my colony is in the process of allowing all humans to die, and slowly replacing them with robots. By segregating men and women to separate domes, they don't breed, and the slow death of the seniors allows for a pretty quick replacement strategy. It's also nice since educating immortal beings is a really good use of time, and sanitarium domes can be set up to fix alcoholism/gambling as and when it arises. Even better, since it's a steady state, quarantining and killing idiots only needs to be done once, and once the workforce is purged properly, everything works smoothly.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Surviving Mars: Once the Workforce is Purged Properly...

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Can't you lower comfort enough so they dont reproduce but not enough so they stay sane?
For old people there is a breakthrough that let them work until they die

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Why can't I forcefully sterilize my colony through the drinking water :tinfoil:

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here

Krogort posted:

Can't you lower comfort enough so they dont reproduce but not enough so they stay sane?
For old people there is a breakthrough that let them work until they die

If a dome has too many homeless people will stop having babies.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Do kids (or their families) move to other domes to go to school?
Building nursery and school in every dome is going to be a giant pain in the rear end.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Krogort posted:

Do kids (or their families) move to other domes to go to school?
Building nursery and school in every dome is going to be a giant pain in the rear end.

Set the dome filter so Children favour it and they will move in

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

sometimes life just gives you lemonade. Set out to a region with a lot of dust storms and dust devils and:

turns out that will never be a problem. This is gonna be sweet!

until I want/need to expand into the canyon of course that'll be a nightmare

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

If a dome has too many homeless people will stop having babies.

It does tend to kill the mood.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

import more tories and that's no longer an issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

double nine posted:

until I want/need to expand into the canyon of course that'll be a nightmare

Dust storms will hit you up top, and dust devils seem to have specific spawn points which can also be up high, though they seem more common at low elevations.