Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I wouldn't be surprised but it's still hilarious to me. Confusing Cat Stevens for Sufjan Stevens is basically the musical equivalent of like, thinking the Paul Anderson who made There Will Be Blood was the same guy who directed Aliens vs. Predator, except PTA and PWSA are contemporaries so it's not even that extreme.

If you'd never seen either of those movies, or engaged in a conversation about which was which with someone who had seen both of them it would be less surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Fart City posted:

I like the alternate implication of that, where people keep coming up to Paul Thomas Anderson and asking him why Scorpion had Johnny Cage's autograph in Mortal Kombat.

I assumed it was a Friendship joke.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Lego Ninjago Movie director Charlie Bean is going to direct the live-action/CG Lady and the Tramp for Disney. Not sure if the dogs will be CG or will just have CG mouths, but this guy is an animation director mainly so I'm going to guess all dogs will be 100% fake. Still haven't bothered at all with the Ninjago film so I got no standard of reference here.

http://deadline.com/2018/03/charlie-bean-disney-live-action-lady-and-the-tramp-movie-1202345900/

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

TetsuoTW posted:

pardon me garcon i clearly ordered the mild take and not the spicy, can i speak to your manager

“A well-reviewed film might be quite good” is a spicy take now?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yeah it’s a little weird.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Neither mean much, but well-reviewed at a festival means a lot less than just generally well-reviewed.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

lol yeah that's exactly what you said

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Indy 5 starts filming next year. Shia Labouf won't be back so maybe indy gets a new kid?

https://www.thewrap.com/steven-spielberg-reveals-indiana-jones-5-production-start-date/

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Lame. Bring back Shia.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Uncle Wemus posted:

Indy 5 starts filming next year. Shia Labouf won't be back so maybe indy gets a new kid?

https://www.thewrap.com/steven-spielberg-reveals-indiana-jones-5-production-start-date/

Shia is starring in a movie about himself, with him playing his father and Lucas Hedges (Manchester By The Sea, Three Billboards, Lady Bird) playing Shia circa Even Stevens.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/lucas-hedges-play-shia-labeouf-labeouf-biopic-honey-boy-1094342

Sad he won't return as Indy Jr, though. Current era Shia will likely become an explorer for real, disappear for a year until days before production start, bringing with him Yamashita's gold and the location of MH370.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

Remember how everyone was like "holy poo poo Indiana Jones got loving oooold" after that last movie came out?

That was an entire decade ago.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope Indy goes out in a blaze of glory by crashing his plane into the enemy.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

TetsuoTW posted:

Remember how everyone was like "holy poo poo Indiana Jones got loving oooold" after that last movie came out?

That was an entire decade ago.

Yes, Harrison Ford was in Blade Runner and Star Wars just recently, people might remember him still being loving old.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Indiana Jones and the Container of Multivitamins

*watches Matlock and falls asleep in a chair*

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Decius posted:

Yes, Harrison Ford was in Blade Runner and Star Wars just recently, people might remember him still being loving old.

The Disney diet though means he looks younger in Blade Runner than in Crystal Skul.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
So the original trilogy was religious poo poo, the fourth was 1950's sci fi poo poo, what's next? Please tell me 70's new age hippie cult artifacts.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rough Lobster posted:

So the original trilogy was religious poo poo, the fourth was 1950's sci fi poo poo, what's next? Please tell me 70's new age hippie cult artifacts.

Or Erik Von Daniken "Children Of The Gods" stuff, which would be a great segue from Crystal Skull.

Also, that would be perfect for Shia to return to.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I definitely want it to be about weird space stuff because at this point Indiana Jones movies should have literally caught up to Star Wars.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The entire plot of RP1 is on Wikipedia right now and it sounds like Spielberg saw potential in an action film with references and used RP1 as a jumping off point while gutting most of the garbage.

It sounds fine-ish.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

fine evil garbage?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Prediction. Jones gets a daughter

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Saddest Rhino posted:

fine evil garbage?

It wasn’t directed by evil garbage man.

But could you imagine that? Imagine Cline directing it. Holy macaroni. It would be the smuggest film ever made.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Even when Spielberg is literally phoning it in he still makes highly watchable movies so it wouldn't surprise me if RPO wasn't completely terrible, probably no better or worse than any of the comic book movies people write 10,000 word treatises about.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

*burps the word “EVIL”*

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Uncle Wemus posted:

I predict it will be his niece (however they will retcon siblings in), but it would be the best way to put the Shia LeBeouf debacle behind them with still having a way forward to keep the franchise going forever. Or grand-niece considering Ford's age.

Edit: Wait, Shia LeBeouf's daughter and his grand daughter. That would work fine, without too much changing of established history.

Decius fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 20, 2018

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I want them to set it immediately following Last Crusade. Get Connery back, too, and just completely ignore their obvious age. Fight the SS occultism head on with a dash of Grumpy Old Men.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Indiana Jones Cyberpunk

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's going to be some Force Awakens poo poo where he gets dragged out of retirement by a young plucky archeology student.

e: Ideally the screenwriter actually went back and read/watched some pulp stories this time around, though. Like, how do you get the Jones writing gig and not go pick up a stack of 60s mens magazines and watch a bunch of adventure serials? I feel like that's one of the primary failures of Crystal Skull: it's main inspiration is the previous 3 Indiana Jones movies. It doesn't bother to go back to the source inspiration. At least Darabont's original draft felt like it was inspired by 50s sci-fi stories that were the adventure serials of their respective era.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 20, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Uncle Wemus posted:

Nah that'd come off like a Lara Croft rip off.

Snowman_McK posted:

I remember now. A large, elaborate, seemingly significant scene that completely fails to pay off in any significant way.

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, I kept expecting there to be a scene which replicated the fight but now Lara figures a way out but it never happened. Frankly the whole thing comes across like it was written exquisite corpse style because nothing builds off anything else and there is no payoff to anything.

I counted two times during the last half of the movie where she breaks out of a similar headlock - one time by biting the merc holding her, the second time by doing a backflip over Vogel (and at one point she also got her bag back from the three thieves in Hong Kong by putting one of them in a similar headlock) but they didn't really draw attention to it.

Snowman_McK posted:

It takes too long to get going. We're not at the island until the movie is more than half over. All the characterisation in the first half could have been done on the island while moving the ball forward, instead of the stupid bike plot filled with characters who promptly disappear.

Pretty much every action/adventure movie or Bond movie or whatever has a short action sequence opening scene which establishes the protagonist's abilities. In this movie they needed to establish Lara's tenacity and ability to think on her feet and her ability to evade an army of determined attackers but she's also been completely locked out of the secret stuff her dad was involved in at this point so it had to be some random low stakes event.

I guess they also wanted to underline the fact that she was good at all this stuff before she inherited any of her father's wealth or studied any sort of martial arts or had any field experience of any kind, she was kicking asses even before she gained all those advantages.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I heard a while ago that Spielberg (?) was interested in Chris Pratt being involved in Indiana Jones going forward. I don't know if that means he has the idea that the role would be recast with him or if he'd be a successor to Ford or whatever else.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Nah that'd come off like a Lara Croft rip off.

And this stops Hollywood how?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I heard a while ago that Spielberg (?) was interested in Chris Pratt being involved in Indiana Jones going forward. I don't know if that means he has the idea that the role would be recast with him or if he'd be a successor to Ford or whatever else.
I hate that idea. If they want to do Indiana Jones going forward do it in a cartoon or games or something.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the opportunity to recast passed about 20 years ago when Richard Dean Anderson was cast in Stargate instead of "The New Indiana Jones Adventures" or something like that. :v:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just a reminder that Young Indiana Jones is actually terrific. Just ignore the ones where he's a literal child and skip to when he accidentally gets caught up in the Mexican Revolution, inspiring him to go illegally enlist in WWI before the US enters the war.

But yeah, an Indy cartoon that picked up after Young Indy left off would be great. There were some Indiana Jones Adventures comics in 2008 that were pretty good, I could see them just pulling from there and making a good show.

Also I think those Chris Pratt rumors were unsubstantiated and were very likely just born from fan speculation.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

The entire plot of RP1 is on Wikipedia right now and it sounds like Spielberg saw potential in an action film with references and used RP1 as a jumping off point while gutting most of the garbage.

It sounds fine-ish.

Didn’t Cline do the screenplay? I wonder if he cleaned it up or Spielberg had to step in a lot?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GrandpaPants posted:

And this stops Hollywood how?

If it was just some random Hollywood action movie franchise then they wouldn't give two shits (Jumanji 2 obviously didn't and pretty obviously borrowed a lot from Lara Croft when they created Karen Gillan's character) but the Indiana Jones series is Speilberg's baby and I think he'd care if people thought it became derogatory.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

Just a reminder that Young Indiana Jones is actually terrific. Just ignore the ones where he's a literal child and skip to when he accidentally gets caught up in the Mexican Revolution, inspiring him to go illegally enlist in WWI before the US enters the war.

Some of the ones with him as a child are fine. I like the one where it's him and his dad hiking through Greece in 1910 (or thereabouts) and they end up trapped halfway up a cliff in a pulley-operated lift. The one where he's basically a supporting character and the episode (co-written by George Lucas!) is about his mum having an affair with Puccini is a bit of an oddball, though.

I though the WWI episodes went on a bit. My favourite episodes were the ones where he's studying archaeology in Chicago, playing jazz in nightclubs with his friend Sidney Bechet and occasionally solving mysteries with his old war buddy Ernie Hemingway and his neurotic college room-mate Eliot Ness. It would have been cool if there had been more stories like that.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 20, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

There was also an episode after the war ended where Indy kills Dracula.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dinosaurs! posted:

Didn’t Cline do the screenplay? I wonder if he cleaned it up or Spielberg had to step in a lot?

He wrote the first draft but Zak Penn was hired to rewrite him.

I shudder to think of what Cline's script looked like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Some of the ones with him as a child are fine. I like the one where it's him and his dad hiking through Greece in 1910 (or thereabouts) and they end up trapped halfway up a cliff in a pulley-operated lift. The one where he's basically a supporting character and the episode (co-written by George Lucas!) is about his mum having an affair with Puccini is a bit of an oddball, though.

I though the WWI episodes went on a bit. My favourite episodes were the ones where he's studying archaeology in Chicago, playing jazz in nightclubs with his friend Sidney Bechet and occasionally solving mysteries with his old war buddy Ernie Hemingway and his neurotic college room-mate Eliot Ness. It would have been cool if there had been more stories like that.

If ABC hadn't canceled it for being incredibly expensive, the 4th season was going to introduce Abner Ravenwood, Rene Belloq, and Jaques, as well as all sorts of archeology and treasure hunting. The list of unproduced episodes is a bit heartbreaking. C'mon, Kathleen Kennedy!