Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

System Metternich posted:

I readily admit that being a practicing Catholic makes me kinda biased in that regard, but afaik there’s no evidence that a) the number of child molesters is higher among Catholic clergy than in other comparable groups and b) that celibacy makes people more likely to abuse children. The specifically Catholic facet of child molestation was/is the total unwillingness of the hierarchy to acknowledge the problem and the systematic cover-up that went with that. It’s a bit like police and their „blue line“ in that regard, I guess.

Turns out the police isn't the largest gang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I found this twitter thread appropriate for the topic:

https://twitter.com/jameslsutter/status/975550946884268032

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Ras Het posted:

EU28: Countries by head of government's European Parliament grouping in March 2018.

Lithuania's agrarian party is in the green bloc for whateverthefuck reason.

This maps to political allegiance of the member governments surprisingly well.

Lotsa consevatives in Europe :( (Italy's not red anymore either)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I readily admit that being a practicing Catholic makes me kinda biased in that regard, but afaik there’s no evidence that a) the number of child molesters is higher among Catholic clergy than in other comparable groups and b) that celibacy makes people more likely to abuse children. The specifically Catholic facet of child molestation was/is the total unwillingness of the hierarchy to acknowledge the problem and the systematic cover-up that went with that. It’s a bit like police and their „blue line“ in that regard, I guess.

Why the gently caress are you writing in the past tense :confused:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why the gently caress are you writing in the past tense :confused:

But you can put it all in the present tense if you want, it probably wouldn’t be wrong :shrug:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

But you can put it all in the present tense if you want, it probably wouldn’t be wrong :shrug:

I mean, it definitely isn't. Your church continues to shield child rapists from justice today.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

I mean, it definitely isn't. Your church continues to shield child rapists from justice today.

Well, all churches and religions do. That's literally what they were created for. But they're the biggest one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A modest proposal.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

FreeKillB posted:

I found this twitter thread appropriate for the topic:

https://twitter.com/jameslsutter/status/975550946884268032

scifi/fantasy worldbuilding culture is boring sperg poo poo and the real world is 10x more interesting, news at 11

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well, all churches and religions do. That's literally what they were created for. But they're the biggest one.

You should take that to r/atheism, they'll love it.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

That map is telling me there are CIA black sites in Iran and Zimbabwe, but not Iraq or Israel?

That seems... unlikely.

Edit: Oh, the map is not of black sites, but has a much broader status including countries that allowed the CIA to use their airports. Map should definitely have different colors, although I guess there is not a lot of reliable info.

More detail on https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.9e08d8d269c9

Even after reading that, the omission of Iraq is odd, and Hong Kong seems dubious as well since it's not like it controls its own foreign policy. Makes you wonder about the methodology (although obviously that's kind of nit picking and missing the forest for the trees).

Saladman fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 20, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Some Redditor got this in their inbox.

:catdrugs:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m the babylonian rabbis who compiled the torah to hide their exile child sex ring

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Grevling posted:

Looks like it can be any name a country has, so easy mode.

Greece is land of the Ionians because that's the etymology of its Hindi, Persian, Turkish and Arabic name.

To get back to this, the Greek name Ἑλλάς was originally applied to a small part of the region of Thessaly in central Greece, which neighboured Phthia, where Achilles was said to be from. We know very little about how their name came to be applied to all Greeks; by the time Homer was writing we confusingly already have the terms Hellenes and Panhellenes, the former referring to the inhabitants of the original region of Hellas and the latter all Greek speakers. Almost nothing reliable is recorded in later sources about this group.

The Roman term for Hellas is Graecia, which is derived from the name of a tribe called Γραί or Γραικοί about which we equally know almost nothing; by the time history was being written they had also disappeared. It's logical that they were a Greek tribe located somewhere in proximity to Rome, but, through assimilation with the term Hellenes, later authors asserted that they were in fact from Thessaly.

The name for Hellas in eastern countries derives from Ionia, since the Ionians were famously the Greeks longest subject to Persian rule, and thus the Persians referred to all Greeks as Yaunas, and most countries in the region of what was originally the Achaemenid Persian empire derived their name for the Greeks from the Persian name.

So basically all three main naming conventions used to refer to Greece don't actually mean much when broken down.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 22, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
True lovers of Homer call them Danaans, thank you very much.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Map of Cleveland if every Subway Restaurant was a subway station.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
The aqua line and brown line should be combined, and said combined line should run all the way to Downtown, concurrent with the salmon line. In fact, track capacity allowing, the red and purple lines should also run concurrent with the gold line to Downtown.

In other words, we would end up with a central Downtown hub, a coastal Gold Line, an outer Blue Line, and five lines radiating out from Downtown to the Blue Line.

It would also mean Downtown<->Airport is direct.

Also, typo "Cape Western".

All in all: 2/5 stars.

Unstoppabro
Jan 2, 2014

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm the thought process that led to the declaration of a Czarist Republic.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I'm Green Ukraine. :drat:

I think something like that shows up in Kaiserreich, and sometimes triggers a war between Russia and Japan because they both lay claim to it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The Free Territory and The North Caucasian Emirate have some pro tier flags

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Kuban People's Republic is reppin' the rare purple flag.
:eyepop:

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Green Ukraine being in a union with actual Ukraine makes the East/West Pakistan situation seem sane in comparison.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'm the Fortress-Builders of Naissaar who presumably demanded equal representation under threat of leaving the Soldiers dangerously unfortified.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
"Soviet Republic of Soldiers and Fortress-Builders" is insanely cool.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Pakled posted:

"Soviet Republic of Soldiers and Fortress-Builders" is insanely cool.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

He loooooves death!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

"Death to Bougies"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
"under the leadership of Stepan Petrichenko. The Russian sailors, numbering about 80–90 men, formed a government and levied taxes on the local population."

"Sailors of the Petropavlovsk in Helsinki, before the Finnish Civil War (Summer 1917); Flag calls for 'death to the bourgeoisie'."

Unstoppabro
Jan 2, 2014

Forgot to mention this in the post with the map but I'm the Lemko republic that wants to join the Russians and the Lemko republic that wants to join the Ukrainians

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I wish all sorts of Karelians had gotten their own land so as not to emigrate to Finland Proper.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I'm the ethnic minority in Finland who demanded autonomy over a football field and got deported to loving "central asia"

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

I would love to put that map on a wall

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
No Lit-Byel, the most awkward and pathetic of all Soviet puppets.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

This is probably the greatest map this thread had ever seen. Half of these sound like RPG factions...

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's amazing to me that the Bolsheviks managed to reunite Russia+ so completely.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

What a great map. Thanks for sharing it mate!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

This is probably the greatest map this thread had ever seen. Half of these sound like RPG factions...

It's like someone's game of EUIV going tits up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Is there a place I can get a print of that? Google wasn't exactly helpful.