Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sleepwalkers posted:

Just reminding everyone that Wrestlesplania remains a good, depraved listen, and their latest episode with Stokely Hathaway is cool and fun. They're the yin to Meltzer's verbose yang.

Sold. Dude rules, he's loving hilarious.

https://twitter.com/StokelyHathaway/status/974047422274994176

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

sleepwalkers posted:

Just reminding everyone that Wrestlesplania remains a good, depraved listen, and their latest episode with Stokely Hathaway is cool and fun. They're the yin to Meltzer's verbose yang.

Agreed, I have really enjoyed their stuff so far, and the latest one is definitely lots of fun. I'm also a really new pro wrestling fan, and it's been very accessible :shobon:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So do Ric Flair and Kurt Angle

And Adam Cole

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So do Ric Flair and Kurt Angle

Kurt is a dip guy according to Roderick Strong, not a chew guy

I only clarify because dip is just a little more gross

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

on an early episode of Talkin Shop, the Good Brothers revealed that Tanahashi is a dipper

sportsgenius86 posted:

And Adam Cole

Didn't he take it up because he saw Flair doing it on his Highspots shoot and thought it looked cool?

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 17, 2018

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

sleepwalkers posted:

Agreeing.

I'm really happy that non-traditional wrestlefans are starting podcasts and getting popular. Wrestlesplania, the Nobodies, I think maximum fun has one too? It's a good time for wrestlefans.

Are there any theater nerd podcasts who dissect wrestling matches/angles in academic terms, because I feel like that is an untapped market. Actually talking and critiquing wrestling as an art form.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Go RV! posted:

Agreeing.

I'm really happy that non-traditional wrestlefans are starting podcasts and getting popular. Wrestlesplania, the Nobodies, I think maximum fun has one too? It's a good time for wrestlefans.

Are there any theater nerd podcasts who dissect wrestling matches/angles in academic terms, because I feel like that is an untapped market. Actually talking and critiquing wrestling as an art form.

I would listen

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/wrestlingbubble/status/974799300298452993?s=19

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

https://twitter.com/jmaynard8888/status/975068886491000832

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Go RV! posted:

Agreeing.

I tried listening to MaxFun's and didn't manage to get through an episode... Should I go back and give it another shot?

Also, I don't know if it's necessarily appropriate here, but in terms of dissecting wrestling as an art form, there's always Showbuckle's awesome videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx_pZWrHCng

e: Also, I should mention that channel and RealNeatPuro are great resources for new-ish wrestling fans to get acquainted with NJPW. I dunno how many new-ish fans frequent this thread, but can't hurt to mention.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

sleepwalkers posted:

I tried listening to MaxFun's and didn't manage to get through an episode... Should I go back and give it another shot?

I also dropped it after a couple eps when I realized it was just another recap of weekly shows. Maybe they've changed it up since then, though.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

sleepwalkers posted:

Also, I don't know if it's necessarily appropriate here, but in terms of dissecting wrestling as an art form, there's always Showbuckle's awesome videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx_pZWrHCng

e: Also, I should mention that channel and RealNeatPuro are great resources for new-ish wrestling fans to get acquainted with NJPW. I dunno how many new-ish fans frequent this thread, but can't hurt to mention.

I'm a very new wrestling fan, so I appreciate this, thank you :shobon: 🤼

I've mostly listened to Wrestlesplania, wrestling omakase, and two guys one sport, but I don't really care much about non-njpw stuff atm, mostly because I don't have time to watch the approximately 500 hrs of wrestling that comes out every week

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
This is a little similar to Showbuckle's Naito video but I really liked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaGtnYrQyrk

Naito is probably the best developed wrestling character....ever? :shrug:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

You've forgotten about the Boogey Man

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

VJeff posted:

This is a little similar to Showbuckle's Naito video but I really liked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaGtnYrQyrk

Naito is probably the best developed wrestling character....ever? :shrug:

Luger from his WCW debut to the Hogan match on the 100th Nitro is up there.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Fauxhawk Express posted:

on an early episode of Talkin Shop, the Good Brothers revealed that Tanahashi is a dipper

Didn't he take it up because he saw Flair doing it on his Highspots shoot and thought it looked cool?

I don’t know about Cole specifically but I know some guys do it to stay awake on the road.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

God bless this WOR existing so I got me some UPW history.
California steroid history is almost as good as derby coverage.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
If you hate your body so much that you became a pro wrestler, why wouldn’t you use chew?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I think on the B&V show they said something like "the La Vela Nitros are always fun" but I'm an hour into this weeks Nitro and this thing is all filler.

EDIT:

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 18, 2018

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Dave describing things for women and minorities not that long ago as being "freakin' horrendous" made me smile.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I liked when Dave was going into the stuff about the Moolah match name change and in the middle of it just started talking about the Zack Sabre match going on and kept switching back and forth.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

I've never understood why people hate listening to Meltzer. I think he's hilarious, and a lot more self-aware than people think. Too many wrestling podcasts/radio shows try too hard to be witty, Dave and Bryan seem so natural in comparison

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Low Desert Punk posted:

I've never understood why people hate listening to Meltzer. I think he's hilarious, and a lot more self-aware than people think. Too many wrestling podcasts/radio shows try too hard to be witty, Dave and Bryan seem so natural in comparison

Like a lot of podcasts it takes a while to get into his groove and how to deal with his constant derails. You can learn a ton, almost on accident, from your average news update if you can stick with it though.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

listening to Dave braindump is something I can't take a whole lot of. The man does not keep an orderly mind.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Also I finally caught the JR interview and while there's not a ton new, it's good and I hope the WWE takes JR up volunteering to call the preshow.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

coconono posted:

listening to Dave braindump is something I can't take a whole lot of. The man does not keep an orderly mind.

Dave's mind is like an office

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I enjoy listening to Dave talk about pretty much anything that's not UFC.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

exploded mummy posted:

Dave's mind is like an office

But his body is a wonderland

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There's also like, a generation of fan that believes all the bullshit mythology and methodology of WWE because that's all they've known and get angry when Dave will say things like "actually, Mankind and Rock this is your life isn't the highest rated segment" or whatever.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

What's the highest rated segment

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

austin vs taker from june 1999

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I listened to a 4 and a half hour long episode of How2Wrestling about Vince McMahon's life. tbh I learned a lot, I knew nothing of him being abused and stuff as a kid

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thought that was a very interesting podcast

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Dave: It looked like something out of a jedi movie

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Great stuff on Mark Henry this morning.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

algebra testes posted:

There's also like, a generation of fan that believes all the bullshit mythology and methodology of WWE because that's all they've known and get angry when Dave will say things like "actually, Mankind and Rock this is your life isn't the highest rated segment" or whatever.

there's a pretty sizeable group of people that will rabidly defend against any and all criticism (even perceived) against the WWE, and it just confuses me. who could possibly care enough

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Low Desert Punk posted:

there's a pretty sizeable group of people that will rabidly defend against any and all criticism (even perceived) against the WWE, and it just confuses me. who could possibly care enough

Just fans. You'll always get some percentage of mentallers in any fanbase who go in deeper to support whatever they like the worse it is. Backing out would make them feel like they made a mistake in supporting it at all.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Low Desert Punk posted:

some of them come from hosed up families so the fandom becomes their new family.

some of them are just lost and their fandom is their home.

some of them stake their life on a fandom until they get bored and move onto a new thing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Great stuff on Mark Henry this morning.

It really was. I have heard about the Olympic stuff just kind of assumed the WWE was overblowing it but if anything they undersold how good he was, or at least how good he could have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

coconono posted:

some of them come from hosed up families so the fandom becomes their new family.

some of them are just lost and their fandom is their home.

some of them stake their life on a fandom until they get bored and move onto a new thing.

What a bunch of losers.

I can't wait to hear what the Pisscast has to say about that.