Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Vavrek posted:

From memory: That book shows up in Daggerfall as part of a quest track down the author and stop the book's spread.

The volume with that excerpt is not available in the normal game books, only in a quest book. The book is (at quest start) in the possession of Gortwog, king of the orcs, who wants to print a lot of copies as a blackmail tool, and you've got to steal it from him before he does so. (Getting a printing industry going in orsinium is apparently not the kind of things you can do overnight for some reason.) But other people are interested in that tawdry story, so if you take too long, then the Necromancers will have stolen it first, and then the orcs will contact you to get it back from the King of Worms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Worth reminding you that Daggerfall has nudity so a little erotica is not to be unexpected.

Morrowind toned it down.

Then modders jacked it up. And probably off too.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's really cool that a quest from several games ago manages to leave its mark in later games, even if it's just a book.

There are very few games that can claim such a feat.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
For everything it fucks up, and for all it fights against it, TES has always had a very interesting world with a deep history.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Mulva posted:

For everything it fucks up, and for all it fights against it, TES has always had a very interesting world with a deep history.

Well, people were never into it for combat depth. A lot of questlines end up being dumb too. Exploration, mods, and lore are the great duct tape keeping this weird boat together. And it works.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 13, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
They really do tend to shy away from the more out-there stuff though. I wouldn't be surprised if High Rock ends up being their next game and the last province they ever do.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

They really do tend to shy away from the more out-there stuff though. I wouldn't be surprised if High Rock ends up being their next game and the last province they ever do.

Im still mad that we got Cyrodil Vampires mk2. Like, I understand not letting the player be a creepy ice vampire. But imagine how cool it'd be, walking around outside Morthal and a Vampire just rises through the ice to murder you.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I'm willing to take a wait-and-see approach with TES VI, because A) Todd's never to stop re-releasing Skyrim anyway so why get upset about a game that will never exist, and B) Skyrim's not the craziest game setting ever, but shouting is an extremely cool idea and nord/falmer/dwemer is still a pretty neat setting, and was way more interesting and unique than Literally Just Gondolin instead of pre-Oblivion Cyrodiil as described in lore. So who knows maybe VI is going to be Summerset or Elsweyr and be lore-accurate and completely crazy.

(The real power move would be setting it in Pyandonea and letting you roll a Sload)

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
Man I hope we get to beat up some slots next game. C’mon, Bethesda.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Nasgate posted:

Im still mad that we got Cyrodil Vampires mk2. Like, I understand not letting the player be a creepy ice vampire. But imagine how cool it'd be, walking around outside Morthal and a Vampire just rises through the ice to murder you.

I mean they did bring back the idea of vampires as those violated by Molag Bal when they did Dawnguard's super vampires closer to the source. They are willing to touch on their themes here or there.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

As much as I love TES, at this point I'm more interested in hearing more about that Starfield project that may or may not exist.

A open world Bethesda game in a futuristic setting seems really cool.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Starfield IS the next ES game

we're going to get so hosed up on skooma we teleport to the moon and steal a Sunbird

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The big reveal at the end will be that the entirety of Starfield was Peryite's realm.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Starfield is a C0DA game. Some leaked E3 banners have revealed their tagline: “Michael Kirkbride’s about to make you his bitch.”

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Ojjeorago posted:

Starfield is a C0DA game. Some leaked E3 banners have revealed their tagline: “Michael Kirkbride’s about to make you his bitch.”

Wasn't DaiKatana delayed an amount of time competitive with the duke nukem remake? I should google before I talk instead of immediately after. It was intended to be released in 97, but was released in 2000. I'd guess it started in 96. 4 years was a long time for that era, but that wasn't what I was comparing it to.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 15, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I kind of want to know what was going through the writers' heads when they came up with "have you heard of the high elves?" As a conversation starter in oblivion.

A butcher awkwardly bumps into your side while loudly saying DO YOU KNOW ABOUT BLACKS

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Where are they gonna learn about high elves? The internet? How many schools have you seen in the Elder Scrolls universe?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I heard they are fleet of foot, and vulnerable to shock.

If the children werent smart enough to read all the race options before locking in their existence then that's not my problem :colbert:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Neurolimal posted:

I kind of want to know what was going through the writers' heads when they came up with "have you heard of the high elves?" As a conversation starter in oblivion.

A butcher awkwardly bumps into your side while loudly saying DO YOU KNOW ABOUT BLACKS

It's the Radiant AI NPC convo foreshadowing the Thalmor, right? With the syndicate of wizards organizing a boycott of imperial stuff in Summerset or whatever it was.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Where are they gonna learn about high elves? The internet? How many schools have you seen in the Elder Scrolls universe?

I know about a college with a poor reputation...

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

There's a GED prep course in the Ald-ruhn Mages Guild basement.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
https://www.twitch.tv/synchronicitea

Listening to this girl read Skyrim books is mesmerizing to the greatest degree.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/synchronicitea

Listening to this girl read Skyrim books is mesmerizing to the greatest degree.

She's gonna need to get to The Real Barenziah if she wants to give me ASMR tingles :colbert:

e; Actually she seems super sweet and I'm enjoying how she's playing a lot so thanks for linking :3:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 18, 2018

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
I've been tuning in to her stream for a few months, and she is just really, really nice and positive. And that cheshire cat smile.

<3

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I haven't played Daggerfall since before Morrowind came out, and I suspect playing it out now would be an awful experience, if only because I remember the user controls being archaic. In many ways, Daggerfall isn't a good game by contemporary standards, and I think Bethesda's decision to go with smaller, more focused, more detailed game worlds is a good one.

But I think there are a lot of threads in Daggerfall that were only partially developed that could now be fully realized. In some ways, Daggerfall felt more like a world that the character was living in. Witch's covens weren't just dungeons, they were potential sources for new quests and artifacts. The game featured holidays that the world reacted to in a rudimentary fashion (I know there's a mod for Skyrim that does this now.) The game featured a pretty detailed faction system. Not just the guilds you can join (and the guild quests in Skyrim are a big step back from Morrowind or even Oblivion) but as to commoners, merchants, aristocrats etc. Daggerfall didn't do much with them, but I suspect Bethesda has many more resources now than it did. Even small bits of incidental dialog where commoners reacted differently to you as opposed to aristocrats would be pretty fantastic. I think the a lot of the code is still left over, as I know Skyrim sorts different NPCs into different factions. It seems to be a design choice.

Bethesda seems committed to boring gameplay design. I love Skyrim now, but only got few hours into it at release. It'd mods like SPERG or Ordinator that kept me coming back to it. And Fallout 4 is the most dissapointing triple-A RPG that i've ever played (I haven't played Andromeda). Skyrim at release was the foundation for a great game. Fallout 4 was so poor, I don't see how even heavy modding could fix it. Quest design is Fallout 4's more glaring deficiency, and to be honest it's been bad in Bethesda games for quite some time--even Morrowind pales in comparison to Arcanum or the BIS/Obsidian Fallouts. Fallout 4 stuck out like a sore thumb compared to New Vegas or the original Fallouts, so perhaps its less jarring in the TES games. Still, If Fallout 4->Skyrim is how TES6 will be, I'm concerned. If Oblivion->Skyrim is how TES6 will be, I'm extremely eager.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

sir this is a m'aiqdonalds drive thru

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

prometheusbound2 posted:

I haven't played Daggerfall since before Morrowind came out, and I suspect playing it out now would be an awful experience, if only because I remember the user controls being archaic. In many ways, Daggerfall isn't a good game by contemporary standards, and I think Bethesda's decision to go with smaller, more focused, more detailed game worlds is a good one.

But I think there are a lot of threads in Daggerfall that were only partially developed that could now be fully realized. In some ways, Daggerfall felt more like a world that the character was living in. Witch's covens weren't just dungeons, they were potential sources for new quests and artifacts. The game featured holidays that the world reacted to in a rudimentary fashion (I know there's a mod for Skyrim that does this now.) The game featured a pretty detailed faction system. Not just the guilds you can join (and the guild quests in Skyrim are a big step back from Morrowind or even Oblivion) but as to commoners, merchants, aristocrats etc. Daggerfall didn't do much with them, but I suspect Bethesda has many more resources now than it did. Even small bits of incidental dialog where commoners reacted differently to you as opposed to aristocrats would be pretty fantastic. I think the a lot of the code is still left over, as I know Skyrim sorts different NPCs into different factions. It seems to be a design choice.

Bethesda seems committed to boring gameplay design. I love Skyrim now, but only got few hours into it at release. It'd mods like SPERG or Ordinator that kept me coming back to it. And Fallout 4 is the most dissapointing triple-A RPG that i've ever played (I haven't played Andromeda). Skyrim at release was the foundation for a great game. Fallout 4 was so poor, I don't see how even heavy modding could fix it. Quest design is Fallout 4's more glaring deficiency, and to be honest it's been bad in Bethesda games for quite some time--even Morrowind pales in comparison to Arcanum or the BIS/Obsidian Fallouts. Fallout 4 stuck out like a sore thumb compared to New Vegas or the original Fallouts, so perhaps its less jarring in the TES games. Still, If Fallout 4->Skyrim is how TES6 will be, I'm concerned. If Oblivion->Skyrim is how TES6 will be, I'm extremely eager.

You really should take a gander at the Daggerfall Workshop. Dude has been consistently hitting targets that he's set, with a few modders actually helping him skip ahead to things on his roadmap that weren't scheduled to be worked on yet. And if the controls and general jankiness of Daggerfall were preventing you from going back to it, well, all of that is virtually fixed now.

Direct link to the roadmap on his site.

This is like Daggerfall HD and since DF was always one of my favourite games, I appreciate the hell out of his work and the progress made so far. He's more than proven that he's not going to be giving up on this.

Also, there's room for mods and simple quest creation, so once the game is fully ready, the modders will be going nuts with it all, even moreso than they are now.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You really should take a gander at the Daggerfall Workshop. Dude has been consistently hitting targets that he's set, with a few modders actually helping him skip ahead to things on his roadmap that weren't scheduled to be worked on yet. And if the controls and general jankiness of Daggerfall were preventing you from going back to it, well, all of that is virtually fixed now.

Direct link to the roadmap on his site.

This is like Daggerfall HD and since DF was always one of my favourite games, I appreciate the hell out of his work and the progress made so far. He's more than proven that he's not going to be giving up on this.

Also, there's room for mods and simple quest creation, so once the game is fully ready, the modders will be going nuts with it all, even moreso than they are now.

I'm less interested in Daggerfall HD and more interested in a game that develops the ideas that Daggerfall introduced by failed to develop. Having language skills in an RPG is awesome! But Daggerfall didn't do anything interesting with them. The Elder Scrolls have never really had developed dialog trees, which is where the most obvious application would be, but there could still be other uses. Legacy of the Dragonborn has an archaeology module that I really enjoy, I could see it overlapping with that. The game tracked all sorts of factions for the various NPCs, but the faction dynamics didn't really matter. Even different incidental barks can do a lot for immersion-one of my favorite mods for Skyrim is Guard Dialog Overhaul, which just changes the one liners from the guards to be more reactive to the player. From what I understand, all the functionality is already in the game, the modder just tweaked some of the variables to add variety.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
If Bethesda makes a new elder scrolls game and it is actually on a new engine, do you think combat will get revamped?

A sudden wish popped into my head: What if there was a parrying(for lack of a better word) skill. And perks increased what what could parry. Imagine being able to start out only parrying regular melee weapons. But as you get more perks, you could reflect monster attacks, swipe arrows out of the air, and reflect projectile magic.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

well the combat quality leap from Fallout 3 -> Fallout 4 was pretty massive, so I imagine Skyrim -> Valenwood/Elsweyr will be too

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

frajaq posted:

well the combat quality leap from Fallout 3 -> Fallout 4 was pretty massive, so I imagine Skyrim -> Valenwood/Elsweyr will be too

ES combat still sucks currently, but things related to it have been getting better in some ways.Its nice being able to equip spells instead of having to go into casting mode or press a seperate button. While I wish weapon variety would increase, I like the skills just being one handed, two handed, or archery. And even if it was completely over powered with sneak, archery actually was fun and had uses(dragons on non mage characters before you get dragon rend come to mind) once you got the perks and you were not on bullet sponge difficulty. I'd fully expect similar quality of life improvements in the next game.

If they could add variety to melee combat, balance enemy heath, improve the AI, add more unscaled enemies, and make destruction magic damage scale better, I would be happy. (That is a lot of work)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I kinda liked how melee worked in the Dishonored games. It's not perfect but it felt good.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

frajaq posted:

Melee combat in Fallout 4 is worse than in 3 and especially worse than Skyrim. So I still don't really trust them.

lobster22221 posted:

If Bethesda makes a new elder scrolls game and it is actually on a new engine, do you think combat will get revamped?

A sudden wish popped into my head: What if there was a parrying(for lack of a better word) skill. And perks increased what what could parry. Imagine being able to start out only parrying regular melee weapons. But as you get more perks, you could reflect monster attacks, swipe arrows out of the air, and reflect projectile magic.

Don't the redguards have some sort of sword magic? This reminds me of that.
Sword singing I think.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Nasgate posted:

Melee combat in Fallout 4 is worse than in 3 and especially worse than Skyrim.
In what way is it worse? From what little I played of FO4 the melee combat mechanics seemed to be pretty much exactly the same as Skyrim's.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Probably that it's not Dark Souls Monster Hunter Bloodborne hard that makes you reboot your computer every time you die but it's your fault so git gud noob.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

prometheusbound2 posted:

I'm less interested in Daggerfall HD and more interested in a game that develops the ideas that Daggerfall introduced by failed to develop. Having language skills in an RPG is awesome! But Daggerfall didn't do anything interesting with them. The Elder Scrolls have never really had developed dialog trees, which is where the most obvious application would be, but there could still be other uses. Legacy of the Dragonborn has an archaeology module that I really enjoy, I could see it overlapping with that. The game tracked all sorts of factions for the various NPCs, but the faction dynamics didn't really matter. Even different incidental barks can do a lot for immersion-one of my favorite mods for Skyrim is Guard Dialog Overhaul, which just changes the one liners from the guards to be more reactive to the player. From what I understand, all the functionality is already in the game, the modder just tweaked some of the variables to add variety.

I certainly get that. What I appreciate about DF Workshop's version is that I can go back to this game I love with updated controls (WASD + mouselook), almost no jank (aside from stuff that was actually designed specifically into the game, like the multiple interaction modes), and then benefit from potentially many, MANY mods that could add exactly what you're talking about here.

Or I could fly from Daggerfall to Sentinel in a jet :toot:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Raygereio posted:

In what way is it worse? From what little I played of FO4 the melee combat mechanics seemed to be pretty much exactly the same as Skyrim's.

Getting hit by a melee attack in FO4 while you're swinging staggers you and stops your attack. The players recovery after blocking is longer than the recovery of enemies that hit your block. Most enemies don't get staggered like you. So you have three options with melee in FO4: 1) do a bunch of drugs and use a running attack to one shot enemies before they stun-lock you 2)Wear power armor to stave off stagger, and use drugs to do good damage 3) abuse some perks and VATS to teleport sneak attack enemies and one shot them, usually while doing drugs.

Basically it's lovely jousting, stealth, or abuse items that will let you kill anything with anything regardless. With all 3, you're basically one-shotting enemies or you're dying.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The original Daggerfall had mouse look. :colbert:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Raygereio posted:

IDK about worse than 3, but not adopting unique special attacks that NV added definitely makes melee in 4 feel more homogenous.

Also the "bonus if standing still" perks are really obviously designed for VATS teleporting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

The original Daggerfall had mouse look. :colbert:

Yes, I'm aware. I should have put in that the new one has "regular-thinking person's mouselook". There's even a 'click to attack' mode now! :toot: I really do appreciate the idea of moving my mouse the way I want to attack, I think it's really neat, but goddamn, sometimes I just wanna click a motherfucker to death.