Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Vladimir Putin posted:

Bill Gates also initiated the creation of XBox so that is another plus.

Sorry but the creation of something so huge it irreparably altered the Earth's orbit is nothing to praise

EDIT:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Verranicus do you think Bill Gates has done 91 billion dollars worth of work in his lifetime.

I mean the whole "curing malaria" thing is pretty rad.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Netscape sucked. The Monopoly arguments against IE were dumb, by the time it was decided no one was using IE anyway because better competitors appeared.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Gort posted:

On the one hand, it's cool that he uses his ridiculous fortune for good things. On the other hand, he shouldn't have a ridiculous fortune like that in the first place, it's a symptom of a broken system.

So I approve of what he does, but not of his existence. He should just be comfortably well-off, and "stopping people dying of malaria" should be a problem for humanity's government to solve.

Hmm how to resolve conflicting aspects of a person. It’s almost as if all people have this duality and nobody is a real saint except for actual saints. I’d just sum up that even if he was an rear end in a top hat in early life his philanthropy more than makes up for it because he more or less people relocated all the computer money which is important but not vitally so to helping people which is actually vital. Also it’s not like human beings are irredeemable and whatever you’ve done can’t be reversed or mitigated.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

yea bill gates made his money in a lovely way, but he's helped millions of people and by the time will probably be the greatest philanthropist in history, so...

i think that microsoft's actions deserved heavy antitrust enforcement and the company probably should have faced more serious repercussions, but the thing about being a software company like microsoft is that you just happen to be in a situation where there's very little robber-baron style evil you can even do

you don't really have sweatshops because your product is code, you need programmers who are paid well enough to be in the global elite and be very well off in the united states. you don't really deny people stuff, you're just exploiting your monopoly power to extract rents from the computer industry via their monopoly on windows (which is not exactly super, but it's different from, say, extracting rents from life-saving pharmaceuticals) and from most businesses (via their monopoly on Office)

there's just really not a lot of bad stuff that it even made sense for microsoft to do. all of the bad stuff they did was squashing other software companies. that's bad, and our country badly needs stronger antitrust enforcement, but it's hard to get really worked up over squashing other software businesses.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Netscape sucked. The Monopoly arguments against IE were dumb, by the time it was decided no one was using IE anyway because better competitors appeared.

By the time the case was decided sure but that took forever. Netscape was dramatically superior to IE initially, it just got pushed out. By the time the case got through the courts the damage had been done and was irrevocable.

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

Neurolimal posted:

She's kind of an rear end in a top hat, too. She was pretty much all-in against Corbyn and after he did amazingly well pretended nothing happened and started tweeting about people insulting conservative female ministers as being sexist.

I didnt catch the insult female minsters stuff but it could easily be sexist

Also she can be all in against corbyn thats how politics works as long as she wasnt supporting a republican that doesnt make her an rear end in a top hat

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Sorry yeah I'm at about 65% function today due to allergies -- like an idiot I meant Netscape, not Netflix. Which as you say was basically "Microsoft exploits windows monopoly power to push out competitors, the legal battle."

It is an interesting lawsuit because of what a huge clusterfuck it ended up being and how little it mattered. Bundling a browser with the OS is a common practice and no one bats an eye at it. Microsoft was completely correct that users would expect a browser as part of their operating system. Even if that browsers is just used to download a different one.

The counts they were convicted of are pretty hilarious in retrospect.

The Glumslinger posted:

Rich people all suck chat sure is fun to read

Surely, this is the best possible thread for these discussions

These slowly spirally "lets plot the death of people we don't like" sure worked well for the original LF.

Anyone want to start a pool on how long it takes for Lowtax to get another visit from the FBI?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Vladimir Putin posted:

nobody is a real saint except for actual saints.

Most of the actual saints are pretty bad. Although some of them canonically have dog heads because there was a while people thought dog heads were a real thing and now it's a hilarious issue in the catholic church that they can't say now that they DON'T have dog heads after certifying so strongly that they did have dog heads so they try really hard to never mention that the catholic religion officially has dog headed people.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Gort posted:

On the one hand, it's cool that he uses his ridiculous fortune for good things. On the other hand, he shouldn't have a ridiculous fortune like that in the first place, it's a symptom of a broken system.

So I approve of what he does, but not of his existence. He should just be comfortably well-off, and "stopping people dying of malaria" should be a problem for humanity's government to solve.

I agree, but that isn't the world we live in, and it isn't exactly his fault either. So instead of trying to poo poo on people who recognize that they're lucky enough to be able to make a difference in this poo poo world, we need to be encouraging more rich people to do the same while trying to change the system.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
The school resource officer shot at the shooter (unaware if he hit him). Wait for Trump to use this to jerk himself off about arming teachers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Another school just got shot up. Is this the thread for that?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't think IE lost a majority share of the browser market until Chrome and mobile browsing came around.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sorry yeah I'm at about 65% function today due to allergies -- like an idiot I meant Netscape, not Netflix. Which as you say was basically "Microsoft exploits windows monopoly power to push out competitors, the legal battle."

Ok yeah, that makes much, much more sense. And in the end, he may have crushed netscape, but internet explorer sucks so bad that ultimately he failed to extend his monopoly to browsers :v:

i did, however, forget the unforgivable crime of inflicting IE on the world. there's his crime against humanity.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How did it get pushed out? Anybody could download and use it. People chose not to. If Microsoft could just easily push them out by bundling IE with Windows how come they couldn't push out Firefox or Opera?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

i think that microsoft's actions deserved heavy antitrust enforcement and the company probably should have faced more serious repercussions, but the thing about being a software company like microsoft is that you just happen to be in a situation where there's very little robber-baron style evil you can even do

you don't really have sweatshops because your product is code, you need programmers who are paid well enough to be in the global elite and be very well off in the united states. you don't really deny people stuff, you're just exploiting your monopoly power to extract rents from the computer industry via their monopoly on windows (which is not exactly super, but it's different from, say, extracting rents from life-saving pharmaceuticals) and from most businesses (via their monopoly on Office)

there's just really not a lot of bad stuff that it even made sense for microsoft to do. all of the bad stuff they did was squashing other software companies. that's bad, and our country badly needs stronger antitrust enforcement, but it's hard to get really worked up over squashing other software businesses.

That's relatively fair I suppose, and against that you set "saved millions of lives in the developing world by preventing disease" etc., so . . .

Question: how much of his wealth does he currently retain? Did he give away everything to the Foundation or is he still on the billionaire's list?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/976120272435793920?s=19

George Washington and Tommy J, breaking their backs planting those crops

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Katt posted:

I am *this* close to reading the whole thing again. I kind of liked it. I really liked the magic system. You really got a feeling for how the magic worked and why and when they could do it. More importantly when they couldn't do it.

As opposed to "Hey Gandalf remember that time you loving exploded a whole room but now we're fighting with sticks and swords? Could you maybe lend a fireball?"

Or Star Wars where Obi Wan can pick up Grievous like a toy with mind powers and throw him but doesn't smash him against the wall or throw him off a cliff. Or he fights Jango in a fist brawl instead of just force smashing him and arresting him.

Just watched Return of the Jedi recently. The scene where Luke and the stormtrooper are in a speeder race on Endor made me irrationally upset. Don't ram him with your speeder; just force push his rear end into a tree!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Al Borland Corp. posted:

How did it get pushed out? Anybody could download and use it. People chose not to. If Microsoft could just easily push them out by bundling IE with Windows how come they couldn't push out Firefox or Opera?

quote:

Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson issued his findings of fact on November 5, 1999, which stated that Microsoft's dominance of the x86-based personal computer operating systems market constituted a monopoly, and that Microsoft had taken actions to crush threats to that monopoly, including Apple, Java, Netscape, Lotus Software, RealNetworks, Linux, and others.[15] Judgment was split in two parts. On April 3, 2000, he issued his conclusions of law, according to which Microsoft had committed monopolization, attempted monopolization, and tying in violation of Sections 1 and 2 of the Sherman Antitrust Act. Microsoft immediately appealed the decision.[16]

On June 7, 2000, the court ordered a breakup of Microsoft as its "remedy". According to that judgment, Microsoft would have to be broken into two separate units, one to produce the operating system, and one to produce other software components.[16][17]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft_Corp._(2001)

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I don't have enough outrage left to get mad about musk. There so much worse before you get to him I don't see it as worth it. He's minor league evil. The diet Coke of evil.

devils advocate

Musk wants to do things he feels are vital for the human race. And his company cant compete if his workers unionize even if he would be ok with it otherwise. One of those the the ends justifies the means type arguments that will get you thrown in the same pile as hitler

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

business hammocks posted:

Another school just got shot up. Is this the thread for that?

Were the dead kids capitalists?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

She's the dictionary definition of a worthless self regarding liberal, and is trying to pull the ladder up behind her (she was on the dole when she wrote the first HP book).

Yes, throwing a lot of money at charity is a good thing, but using her position to actively stand in the way of the reorganisation of society for the benefit of the vulnerable and oppressed tips the ultimate balance heavily against her
I thought she rather famously pointed this out in a defense of the dole?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Trump is trying to hire Ted Olson. Good luck buddy. I'm sure he's looking forward to getting into slap fights with Ty Cobb and Michael Cohen.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Wark Say posted:

Waaagh! Abort! abort! :yikes:

WAAAAGH! :orks:

What are we doing, again?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Verranicus do you think Bill Gates has done 91 billion dollars worth of work in his lifetime.

He invented something that innumerable people rely on for their everyday work lives, so.. sure? I don't think it matters. It's stupid to treat relatively harmless and sometimes good/well intentioned people like villains because they benefited from the way our society is built when there are actually real, evil, monstrous people to hate on.

It's a problem with this thread where, even with clear enemies openly doing evil, some people in here will never miss a chance to cannibalize their own if they're not exactly aligned with their world view even if by and large they're fighting for the same things in the end.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Like Jesus Tittyfucking Christ there’s a fuckin midpoint between “Literally Perfect” and “Massive Piece of poo poo” and if you can’t learn how to see things outside of black and white then you’re part of the problem

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Out of curiosity, how many people here have ever met a billionaire?

My dad is not ultrarich, but he works in arts fundraising which generally requires cozying up to ultrarich people to convince them to give money to classical music, and I've met a family of three billionaire Hong Kong property businessmen through him on and off for the last two decades.

It's weird. I've never really talked shop with them so maybe they'd express some disgusting viewpoints at some time, but I haven't seen it. I'd judge them to be moral people on an individual, personal level. They're heavily involved in philanthropy and have publicly talked about donating 99% of their income on death rather than give it to their kids. At the same time, I know that its impossible to own a worldwide property empire without supporting exploitation and poor labour practices.

I think that with these kinds of people they made a concious or unconscious decision at some point of their life that the morality that surrounds their money and business activities is unrelated to the morality that they see directly in their personal life. Which I don't particularly agree with. But they keep their head in the sand and it enables them to live a double life.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Microsoft has gone out of its way to block free and open source software that would have made PCs substantially cheaper in the developing world. And the Gates Foundation has been completely impervious to actual research on education and instead decided to push a bad model. In other words, gently caress Bill Gates.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah I'm saying that decision was dumb bullshit from an Old who didn't know anything about computers

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Trump is trying to hire Ted Olson. Good luck buddy. I'm sure he's looking forward to getting into slap fights with Ty Cobb and Michael Cohen.

I'd be amazed if Olson was dumb enough to take that job.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Your Taint posted:

The school resource officer shot at the shooter (unaware if he hit him). Wait for Trump to use this to jerk himself off about arming teachers.

Re: scanner, One of the people the paramedics found had a head bullet wound, good money is that the kid shot himself.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah I'm saying that decision was dumb bullshit from an Old who didn't know anything about computers

A dumb old who was found to be so biased against Microsoft he was hauled before a disciplinary panel of judges and prohibited from ever hearing anything involving Microsoft or its employees for the rest of his life.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Microsoft destroyed Netscape's business by bundling IE for free (which, given how garbage IE became, was still far too expensive). Before IE got bundled with Windows, you paid for a browser, just like any other piece of software. After IE got bundled, well, you couldn't charge for browsers anymore. Microsoft then packed IE with proprietary poo poo so things would only render well on IE.

The reason other browsers started competing was by open source projects, and by other major tech companies finding it worth their while to have free browsers as loss leaders for other products. Also, because all that proprietary IE stuff like ActiveX turned out to be such a hilarious security fuckup that it had to be scourged from the web, making the only thing blocking other browsers the difficulty of mimicking IE's quirks in how things were displayed which is a much easier problem to solve so that everything looked the same on all browsers.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 20, 2018

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

DreamShipWrecked posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/976120272435793920?s=19

George Washington and Tommy J, breaking their backs planting those crops

"Our country was tamed" is wellllll into human hearing range, staff member who wrote this tweet.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I saw the documentary but the pro-netscape reporter was so drat smug about how it physically effected it Gates that I couldn't feel any sympathy for Netscape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbAnM3GuZQg&t=2478s

In retrospect didn't Netscape die mainly because they decided to rewrite the whole thing from scratch and by the time they were almost done they had fallen off the userbase entirely?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Then they did good, because there idea of paying for an internet browser is crazy, should be crazy, and should have been crazy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Verranicus posted:

He invented something that innumerable people rely on for their everyday work lives, so.. sure?

He didn't invent it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Computer,_Inc._v._Microsoft_Corp.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Ravenfood posted:

I thought she rather famously pointed this out in a defense of the dole?

http://crookedtimber.org/2010/04/14/j-k-rowling-on-welfare-and-patriotism/

quote:

A second reason [for staying in Britain], however, was that I am indebted to the British welfare state; the very one that Mr Cameron would like to replace with charity handouts. When my life hit rock bottom, that safety net, threadbare though it had become under John Major’s Government, was there to break the fall. I cannot help feeling, therefore, that it would have been contemptible to scarper for the West Indies at the first sniff of a seven-figure royalty cheque. This, if you like, is my notion of patriotism. On the available evidence, I suspect that it is Lord Ashcroft’s idea of being a mug.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CRISPYBABY posted:

Out of curiosity, how many people here have ever met a billionaire?

My dad is not ultrarich, but he works in arts fundraising which generally requires cozying up to ultrarich people to convince them to give money to classical music, and I've met a family of three billionaire Hong Kong property businessmen through him on and off for the last two decades.

It's weird. I've never really talked shop with them so maybe they'd express some disgusting viewpoints at some time, but I haven't seen it. I'd judge them to be moral people on an individual, personal level. They're heavily involved in philanthropy and have publicly talked about donating 99% of their income on death rather than give it to their kids. At the same time, I know that its impossible to own a worldwide property empire without supporting exploitation and poor labour practices.

I think that with these kinds of people they made a concious or unconscious decision at some point of their life that the morality that surrounds their money and business activities is unrelated to the morality that they see directly in their personal life. Which I don't particularly agree with. But they keep their head in the sand and it enables them to live a double life.

it doesn't matter if you're moral on an "individual, personal level"

lovely people the world over justify themselves by saying they're good to their family/kids/whatever and it doesn't mean poo poo

i mean, they're usually terrible to their family/kids no matter what they say anyway, but even if they weren't it wouldn't be relevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's alright, IE just absorbed all of Netscape's evil powers of being crashy horseshit

• Locked thread