Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Is there any preferably-iron-man-compatible mod that changes like country color?

I'd like to play as Scotland over England, but boy do I hate yellow. Guess I could just form GB though yeah.

edit: So a MONSTER sized Netherlands broke off from Burgundy. As in Burgundy had 22 provinces with 406 development and Netherlands broke away with 10 provinces with 219 development. Anyway I said yes to the popup about helping them in their war and then didn't get called in?

appropriatemetaphor fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Is there any preferably-iron-man-compatible mod that changes like country color?

Actually think the country colors are defined in the game files because of archaic reasons so would be hard to work around the ironman lock.
Could be possible using a palette and a custom shader if anyone bothers to put in that much effort though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

appropriatemetaphor posted:

edit: So a MONSTER sized Netherlands broke off from Burgundy. As in Burgundy had 22 provinces with 406 development and Netherlands broke away with 10 provinces with 219 development. Anyway I said yes to the popup about helping them in their war and then didn't get called in?
The Nertherlands never call in their allies for that war. In my current Münster game they broke free in Calais and declared war against France and all of their allies. Alone. Fortunately for them the other low countries joined really quickly so they got enough development and France couldn't fully annex them.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah country color is something that defines a tag. it would be like an ironman mod that changes france to a theocracy or horde

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

oddium posted:

yeah country color is something that defines a tag. it would be like an ironman mod that changes france to a theocracy or horde

Green is the best color if you're looking for a strong as hell nation.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

:c: aye, me life for Eire :c:

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Ugh the Wales color is just disgusting, I almost want to abandon this run already

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Forced to play an Irish minor just to get a nice green color.

Poil posted:

The Nertherlands never call in their allies for that war. In my current Münster game they broke free in Calais and declared war against France and all of their allies. Alone. Fortunately for them the other low countries joined really quickly so they got enough development and France couldn't fully annex them.

Fortunately my truce was up with Burgundy so I just declared a separate war and kept freeing up Netherlandian provinces and stack-wiping these cursed Burgundians.

Of course Netherlands gave away Loon for no reason when they peaced out. But they're still real buff, real Catholic, and my friend! So that's nice.

Also, for those looking to grab CoC it's 33% off on the PDX store.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Soooo tempted to actually catch up completely on DLC here, but the only thing Britain is good for is being invaded

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

So is there only one way to play as native American tribes? Seems like the game sets you up for failure unless you follow an extremely specific path.

I just got wiped out by the bloody Irish, who somehow managed to be the first Europeans to land in North America. All I want is a Mik'maq empire dammit. :smith:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Wait, what the hell, where is my Flower War CB against the N-American minors????

edit: ahaha my preset Nahuatl minor suddenly changed to Inti, false alarm

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 20, 2018

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

A center of reformation in Lothian just converted London???

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I mean, yeah? They’re right next to each other alphabetically.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
So... how do I get a claim/core on Constantinople as Ottomans now?

EDIT: I've never been one to complain about an update but drat to I really kinda hate this update.

Huskalator fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 20, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Apparently you have to fabricate the claim(s) yourself for the first mission in some chains.

I'm mostly OK with the new mission system but it makes playing a random "non-interesting" state much worse in comparison. Like, half the states in the Middle East now get mission-based claims or permaclaims on everything from Anatolia to India, but if you choose QQ instead of AQ for example you get gently caress all.

It's a much better system in theory but it needs to be expanded so that it doesn't have gigantic holes in it. And some regions get boned particularly hard such as India and SEA.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 20, 2018

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Time to unite Ireland and conquer England :smug:

Remember when Ireland was 4 provinces, one of which was owned by England? Good times.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Any idea how I get Anglicanism to pop? I've got 100 problems and I'd like to reduce that number by at least 1.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Any idea how I get Anglicanism to pop? I've got 100 problems and I'd like to reduce that number by at least 1.

Think its just a random chance of happening once the reformation branches out. As Catholic Wales it just popped up for me around 1500.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
So I bought EU4 a long time ago, put about 15 hours in, and never touched it again for some reason. After playing a bunch of HOI lately I've gotten the itch for giving EU4 another shot. I've picked up a couple of DLC's and am ready to roll.

What is the most up to date reasonable tutorial video series to watch? I watched a bit of the one in the OP, but after taking a stab at the game it became clear that while it's pretty good, it's still a bit out of date.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So if anybody knows somebody they want to punish by dragging them into playing this horrible game alongside the rest of us, the base EU4 purchase is only $10 right now and all the DLCs are 50% off.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Thoughts so far.

The generic missions are super lovely and need some work.
Anglican is alright, seems a bit gimmicky but free money and stab is nice.
Innovativeness doesn't really do anything
The 5 loans limit is a pretty massive change since you are taking like 10 ducats off of natives instead of hundreds. Think its overall a good idea

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

So, uh, forming Great Britain gives England claims on Iceland and all those other isles. Not Great Britain.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Really wish I could get Anglicanism to spawn. I don't want to be Catholic.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

For me it spawned in 1527. This was after protestant and reformed had gotten 3 centers of reformation each.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Firebatgyro posted:

Innovativeness doesn't really do anything

Yeah, I'm really struggling to figure out why I should give a poo poo -- especially since the reminder comes up so often.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Playing as Scotland for my first post-patch run and I don't think the religious leagues ever fired, let alone the war. The entire HRE went Protestant except for Bohemia, who went Reformed. Never seen that before.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
The new mission system seems like a pretty large and unnecessary buff to major European nations and a handful of others, at the expense of everyone else. I like it more in theory but it's pretty lovely that European majors get free permanent claims on large areas of land while almost everyone else gets default missions that are worse than the old ones.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AI countries seem to have a massive hardon for buying techs ahead of time rather than spending their MP on other things, so you're pretty much guaranteed to only get the bare minimum +0.005% innovativeness per month. That means that by the end of the game you'll have a whole -2.2% to monarch point costs! WOW!!!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Oh wow, England rushes Ireland fast now. 1470 and they conquered the entire east coast plus the two counties in the south.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Seeing some real wacky stuff in the first 50 years of my Russia game, and can confirm new Russia missions make conquering everything near you incredibly fast and easy

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Hey guys, it's me, the idiot who bought this on impulse and suddenly realised I've barely played it and have no idea what I'm doing. Did you guys ever land on a) a good tutorial series, really just one that goes through the interface and how to read the flow of information coming at you, ideally written rather than in video form. and b) who is the best starting nation? The old guides recommend the Ottomans, but I keep getting in a war with most of Europe when I try. Who is the Ireland of the game?

Thanks, and I'm really sorry if this is one of those questions that gets asked every two pages.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

Hey guys, it's me, the idiot who bought this on impulse and suddenly realised I've barely played it and have no idea what I'm doing. Did you guys ever land on a) a good tutorial series, really just one that goes through the interface and how to read the flow of information coming at you, ideally written rather than in video form. and b) who is the best starting nation? The old guides recommend the Ottomans, but I keep getting in a war with most of Europe when I try. Who is the Ireland of the game?

Thanks, and I'm really sorry if this is one of those questions that gets asked every two pages.

Arumba on YouTube has a good tutorial run. It's a bit dated in terms of expansions but captures the essence of the game quite well.

[EU4] Europa Universalis 4 Rights of Man Tutorial for New Players [2017]: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1DesDCb2WU&list=PLH-huzMEgGWC4jPjzdV9H5TQ7vbrUDCWx

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I watched quill18's Castille series when I started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaLP7m_g5Q4

He runs vanilla, but that's really what you need, just the basic stuff.

Dunno about non-video form though. There's an EU4 manual on steam you could read?

For best starting nation, usually someone kinda buff but safe. So like Castille, Ottomans, France, etc...Really anyone that takes up a bit of the map and is a country you've heard of before.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Snowman_McK posted:

b) who is the best starting nation? The old guides recommend the Ottomans, but I keep getting in a war with most of Europe when I try.

The Ottomans are very powerful and definitely one of the easier starts, but might be a bit much to manage for a new player. If you're getting into wars with all of Europe, you're probably racking up too much Aggressive Expansion and getting coalitioned. Whenever you take land in a peace deal, you get Aggressive Expansion points with nearby countries. The more total development you take, the more AE you get. AE is increased under some circumstances, for example if you take land from someone with a different religion, you'll get extra AE with other countries of that religion. Same deal if you're not a member of the Holy Roman Empire and you take land from a member, you'll get extra AE with the whole HRE. As the Ottomans, it's quite possible you're getting hit with both. A coalition can get real fuckin big real fuckin quick like that. You'll also get extra AE for taking land from your war target's allies. AE is an opinion penalty with every country affected. Any country that has -50 or more AE opinion towards you can opt to join a coalition against you. If you declare war on any member of a coalition, the whole lot will join in the defense in addition to their regular allies. Furthermore, if the coalition thinks it can take you, it can and will declare war on you. I think the coalition leader gets to call in their regular allies too. Breaking truces, declaring war without a Cassus Belli, or getting land through the Threaten War diplomatic action will also accrue AE. AE will gradually tick back down over time. The rate of this can be increased by Improved Relations Over Time modifiers. You can see how much AE you're accruing and any potential coalitions in the bottom-left of the peace deal interface.

Another thing that could be triggering wars with most of Europe is declaring war on a member of the HRE, even if you don't have much AE with the Empire. Any time a non-member declares on a member, the Emperor can and usually will elect to defend them and call in their own allies as well. Austria is the Emperor at the start and is a powerful nation in its own right, and will often have powerful allies too.

Basically you need to be really careful when pushing into Europe and especially the HRE as the Ottomans. Try to secure a powerful European ally such as France before pushing too hard. In the meanwhile you have several other directions to expand while you wait for your AE in Europe to tick down.

quote:

Who is the Ireland of the game?

Portugal. Smaller and more manageable than the Ottomans but still relatively strong and in a nice safe location. Make nice with Castille/Spain and you'll have a huge buffer against invasion and can go colonizing and/or beat up on the North Africans.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 21, 2018

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I always considered Portugal to be the nicest introduction too. You get a gentle feel for diplomacy with Castille and Aragon, neither of which will beat you up if you don't provoke them. Your home borders are generally pretty safe, giving you the chance to settle the new world and practice conflict elsewhere without the risk of a game over. The only problem is that in recent patches Morocco and the other North Africans can actually get pretty strong and they aren't averse to invading Portugal if you have a weak Castille next door.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Thanks for the answers, guys. I'm determined to become good at this. It just seems like a game I'd really enjoy once I got the hang of. I'm already enjoying Stellaris and got a bit of a kick out of Hearts of Iron.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Your first game with Portugal should obviously be allying with Aragon to eat Castille then turning around and allying France to eat Aragon. Form Spain and make every single person living on the iberian peninsula cry out in horror.

Bonus points if you then use Spain's overpowered age bonus to eat southern France and the entire Genoan trade node to set your capital/trading center in and then spend the rest of the game feeding the node until you're richer than god.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 21, 2018

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Drakhoran posted:

For me it spawned in 1527. This was after protestant and reformed had gotten 3 centers of reformation each.

But I assume it's best to stay Catholic until it shows up, if I want it? Like, I don't have to go Protestant first right?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

best starter nation is wallachia. trial by fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

BigglesSWE posted:

But I assume it's best to stay Catholic until it shows up, if I want it? Like, I don't have to go Protestant first right?

No you don't have to go protestant