Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
automated cars may kill a lot of people, but it also helps a lot of people get to work on time, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ate all the Oreos posted:

without even clicking on it i'm gonna call it right now: no files are "stored" on the bitcoin blockchain, the only thing there is links to files. i even remember years ago when the bitcoiners were all doing stuff like "if we put CP on the blockchain governments will hiss and recoil like it's poison and leave us alone!" and they couldn't figure out how to do it beyond links

e: *clicks* ding ding ding

they managed to get one actual piece of CP into the blockchain and the rest is links

wasn't it base64-encoded binary in the comments field of transactions?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Basic analysis of the crash has shown that the woman was crossing right-to-left and the car hit her on its left side, meaning that the car failed to detect her even as she passed completely in front of the vehicle and was on her way out. a human-sized target pushing a large metal object.

Of course this is the Maricopa county police we're talking about

this isn't right. the car was driving northbound, and she was crossing west to east, the opposite of how you've described. if the car hit her with its left side, she hadn't crossed it.

it still doesn't change that a car equipped with ir lasers and cameras didn't even attempt to brake or swerve, however

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
cant believe that lady just pounced and attacked the front of that uber car with her face like that. glad the driver is ok

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

goddamnedtwisto posted:

wasn't it base64-encoded binary in the comments field of transactions?

considering block size limitations, base64 bloating of data size, and the need to fit at least some other transaction data, im not sure how big of a picture could reliably fit without paying truly massive fees

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

considering block size limitations, base64 bloating of data size, and the need to fit at least some other transaction data, im not sure how big of a picture could reliably fit without paying truly massive fees

that's why its a picture of a kid instead of an adult

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

this isn't right. the car was driving northbound, and she was crossing west to east, the opposite of how you've described. if the car hit her with its left side, she hadn't crossed it.

it still doesn't change that a car equipped with ir lasers and cameras didn't even attempt to brake or swerve, however

Ok, I had all the figures backwards, but the people who actually did the analysis came to the same conclusion -- she had already passed the vehicle's centerline when she was hit by the car that failed to react in any fashion.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Ok, I had all the figures backwards, but the people who actually did the analysis came to the same conclusion -- she had already passed the vehicle's centerline when she was hit by the car that failed to react in any fashion.

fair enough. do you have a link? not disputing you, i'm just interested in this

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

hobbesmaster posted:

uh lasers and ir aren't x-rays. something can still be in shadow to them

Shadows are generally created by a tall object being between the light source and the object. What's shadow to a person better loving not be to an autonomous car because that poo poo better be coming out from the car.

The person can be obfuscated by intervening objects, but that wouldn't be called "shadow" by a layperson.

Endless Mike posted:

If she was crossing west to east, that's even worse for the car because she made it across at least one other lane (southbound) before getting hit. That's really bad detection.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol i didn't notice that the car was speeding

Traveling at 38 mph in a 35 mph zone on Sunday night, the Uber self-driving car made no attempt to brake, according to the Police Department’s preliminary investigation.

gj testing guys are we sure that this isn't just the driver tryin to cover his rear end

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

gj testing guys are we sure that this isn't just the driver tryin to cover his rear end

tori always mentions the uber self driving cars just have a person actually driving them all the time. lol its highly likely its that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
except uber would have thrown them under the proverbial bus the instant that came out.

remember, systems like "autopilot" speed all the time in the normal course of operation. it's entirely possible the autonomous system either didn't see the speed sign, misread it, or was using an out of date reference from the previous year when the speed limit as 45

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Endless Mike posted:

fair enough. do you have a link? not disputing you, i'm just interested in this

osha thread's gotcha covered

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

snrkhunhwha? ...oh, fuc-

So this is what it looks like during the day

And the car is damaged on the front passenger side

that plus where the car's damaged implies that she had to have at least gotten across the lane the car was in and possibly further, if it wasn't in the far left lane, which means

apparently not if she got across in front of the car and it didn't recognize her as something even with a huge hunk of metal and rubber in her hands

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

infernal machines posted:

except uber would have thrown them under the proverbial bus the instant that came out.

remember, systems like "autopilot" speed all the time in the normal course of operation. it's entirely possible the autonomous system either didn't see the speed sign, misread it, or was using an out of date reference from the previous year when the speed limit as 45

idk i've ridden in the googcars and they don't really even approach the posted speed limits because apparently driving like a grandma is part of the testing or something

just seems hinky is all

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Emergency braking without good reason is almost as dangerous as failing to emergency brake in a genuine emergency.

Obeying speed limits all the time is also very likely to create highly unsafe situations because it will immediately enrage a bunch of pissbabies behind you who will then proceed to drive extremely unsafely. Safety is directly at odds with lawful behavior and legal culpability here.

So yeah creating autonomous vehicles is a very difficult engineering problem but Uber is of course desperately charging into it unprepared because they have to keep their Ponzi scam going somehow. :capitalism:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Sapozhnik posted:

Emergency braking without good reason is almost as dangerous as failing to emergency brake in a genuine emergency.

Obeying speed limits all the time is also very likely to create highly unsafe situations because it will immediately enrage a bunch of pissbabies behind you who will then proceed to drive extremely unsafely. Safety is directly at odds with lawful behavior and legal culpability here.

So yeah creating autonomous vehicles is a very difficult engineering problem but Uber is of course desperately charging into it unprepared because they have to keep their Ponzi scam going somehow. :capitalism:

ah yes, the people following the rules are actually the ones to blame here

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Shadows are generally created by a tall object being between the light source and the object. What's shadow to a person better loving not be to an autonomous car because that poo poo better be coming out from the car.

if the light source is from the car, then the shadow is what the car can't see

this is all probably confusing because i worked in 3d imaging where "shadow" meant the projector was blocked

did they say where the speed came from? 38 as reported on the speedometer is probably 35 on the gps

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
which do you think the tempe police chief was referring to?

hint: it was not the one in which the car is the source of light and there's no possible reading of his statement that could make you think that

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sapozhnik posted:

the term you're lookin for is "speed differential" which is what causes a shitload of crashes, but road rage over slow drivers isn't really significant - more likely is if the prevailing speed (the 85th percentile operating speed) of traffic differs by more than ~10mph of the slowpoke (or the opposite for leadfoots) which creates unexpected movements other drivers must suddenly pay attention to or might miss entirely

speed differentials kill - that's why speed limits are (supposed to be) set to the 85th percentile speed of a roadway, and why they're periodically examined via data collection in case they need reevaluation

on a surface street this isn't as much of a big deal if you're like 5-10mph slower than the limit, which is probably why their testing does this, but exceeding it is almost certainly a bad idea

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i think he was using "the shadows" as a general "couldn't see whats going on there" phrase.

ie, he saw the tape, saw black to the left, then saw something that "came out of nowhere"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
actual driving speeds are set by road design and administrative speed limits are set for ticket revenue

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

osha thread's gotcha covered

thanks!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

i think he was using "the shadows" as a general "couldn't see whats going on there" phrase.

ie, he saw the tape, saw black to the left, then saw something that "came out of nowhere"

agreed, but then why make a "well, actually" statement about the technical use of the term?

e: not that this interpretation bodes well for a system that uses lidar, passive ir, and radar either

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

actual driving speeds are set by road design and administrative speed limits are set for ticket revenue

well how else are they supposed to make their quotas

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
also lol that road is clear as poo poo

no parking lanes, no green strip or tree planters, nothing to hide behind

wtf uber if your car had even slowed down a little that person might merely be severely hurt there's no way they weren't detected

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also lol that road is clear as poo poo

no parking lanes, no green strip or tree planters, nothing to hide behind

wtf uber if your car had even slowed down a little that person might merely be severely hurt there's no way they weren't detected

and digital cameras have low dynamic range compared to your eye

:thunk:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
traffic moves at 70, the speed limit is 55, automatically everyone is speeding and/or driving recklessly depending on state, and surprisingly enough minorities get pulled over disproportionately in this situation. who would have thought

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

if the light source is from the car, then the shadow is what the car can't see

this is all probably confusing because i worked in 3d imaging where "shadow" meant the projector was blocked

did they say where the speed came from? 38 as reported on the speedometer is probably 35 on the gps

You worked in 3D imaging so you are smarter than this

You know drat well that when the cop says she came out of the shadows, he doesn't mean "she was in an occluded area in the lidar scan pattern"

He means "it was real dark"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

and digital cameras have low dynamic range compared to your eye

:thunk:

what about the lidar on the roof

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the cop was referring to the footage from the cameras he viewed, which is why hobbesmaster's :goonsay: about the technical use of the term is completely loving tangential

also why the cop making a public statement based on camera footage rather than a composite from the sensors is also pants on head loving stupid

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the lidar on the roof

joseph stein's lesser known sequel

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm willing to bet the sensors returned data that should have been identified as an obstruction and was ignored because it didn't fit the classifier

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Anal Del Raytheon posted:

Who, day and night, must scramble for a living,
Feed a wife and children, slowly kill his Prius?
And who has the right, as master of the car,
To rate each pax he drives all day?
The Uber, the Uber! Techbubble.

The Uber! The Uber! Techbubble!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
At three, I started charter school. At ten, I learned a trade.
I hear they've picked a ride for me. I hope she's a hybrid.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Sagebrush posted:

You worked in 3D imaging so you are smarter than this

You know drat well that when the cop says she came out of the shadows, he doesn't mean "she was in an occluded area in the lidar scan pattern"

He means "it was real dark"

:shrug:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Anal Del Raytheon posted:

crashmaker crashmaker make me a crash
drive like you're blind
hemorrhaging cash

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
countdown until employers mandate that their minimum wage workers wear a Tesla-Approved hyper reflective vest to walk to and from work as they attempt to dodge their boss driving to the golf course at 120mph in his robot car

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
woop woop

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/976152265311641600

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

flakeloaf posted:

crashmaker crashmaker make me a crash
drive like you're blind
hemorrhaging cash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

You get it up around ninety-five and you feel wonderful. Sometimes I drive all night and come back and you don't know it. It's fun out in Arizona. You hit rabbits, sometimes you hit people. Go take the Uber.