Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Ccs posted:

Yeah I'd say the 2nd movie's biggest flaws are no Zodd throwing the sword and no Bonfire of Dreams scene.

The third movie doesn't have much going against it though, if anything it lacks some of the emotional impact it could have if the previous two had been better/longer.

How does someone just not include one of the most important scenes in Berserk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I dunno man, gotta make room for more goddamn ballroom dancing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Griffith didn't care about the reason. He wants subjects not friends. His spiel about only equals can be his friends is bullshit because he was a landless mercenary on the same level as the rest of the Band of the Hawk. He has a superiority complex and has been full of himself throughout the story.

Well, that and he is very, very heavily implied to be in love with Guts and unaware of it, so he’d take parting from him for an extended period of time pretty poorly whatever the reason because he does not actually understand why having the dude around is so important to him.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, that and he is very, very heavily implied to be in love with Guts and unaware of it, so he’d take parting from him for an extended period of time pretty poorly whatever the reason because he does not actually understand why having the dude around is so important to him.

I mean. he goes right to a rebound lay.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ccs posted:

Yeah I'd say the 2nd movie's biggest flaws are no Zodd throwing the sword and no Bonfire of Dreams scene.

The third movie doesn't have much going against it though, if anything it lacks some of the emotional impact it could have if the previous two had been better/longer.

Them changing the way the fight with Boscogn went made absolutely, positively zero loving sense and it's almost comical looking back on it now

"well we have this antagonist toss his sword down in a key fight that adds an interesting layer to his relationship with Guts and his fate and-"
"nah gently caress it, he disappears in dust and throws up a flag"
:psyduck:

They had a few minutes worth of loving ballroom dancing, but couldn't fit in a few minutes for the Bonfire of Dreams chapter? :cmon:

The third movie was decent but not having Godo was also really, really dumb - is Erica just living in the woods by herself (lol?)

It sucks because they could have billed the 2016/17 series as kind of an unofficial sequel to the 97 series of sorts because I still know people that just simply dont read comics (savage, I know), but people who only saw the old anime will have no idea who the gently caress the Skull Knight is, and people who watched only the movies will likely not know who the gently caress Godo is

All of these adaptations are a mess when it comes right down to it, just to different degrees

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
97 is a goddamn masterpiece compared to anything besides the manga and don't you dare tell me otherwise. If that got another season or if some competent animation studio was given structured and good administration from Mirua, maybe we'd have some good animation of berserk sometime in the next century. But at this rate, I'd trust some madman at Netflix to maybe do a live action berserk right, which is like hoping that God comes and makes everything better instead of just destroying the world.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Adapting Berserk is really freaking hard. The story is good, yes, but the art lends so much to the story that you can't just adapt it normally and expect an equally good product.

Like, a few of the depictions of the monsters in the manga gave me that same unsettled feeling I got as a kid when I read that Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark series with its creepy as poo poo art. It just doesn't work as well when it's colored and animated though

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

U-DO Burger posted:

Adapting Berserk is really freaking hard. The story is good, yes, but the art lends so much to the story that you can't just adapt it normally and expect an equally good product.

Like, a few of the depictions of the monsters in the manga gave me that same unsettled feeling I got as a kid when I read that Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark series with its creepy as poo poo art. It just doesn't work as well when it's colored and animated though

:wrong:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Crabtree posted:

97 is a goddamn masterpiece compared to anything besides the manga and don't you dare tell me otherwise. If that got another season or if some competent animation studio was given structured and good administration from Mirua, maybe we'd have some good animation of berserk sometime in the next century.

Didn't Golden Age just finish wrapping up when the 97 series came out? There wasn't a whole lot else to adapt beyond that point (aside from the rest of Black Swordsman I guess) and wouldn't be for awhile.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 8, 2018

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Crabtree posted:

97 is a goddamn masterpiece compared to anything besides the manga and don't you dare tell me otherwise.
it is. the idea to hide monsters, other than zodd, was smart.

adapting berserk isn't hard. its already written and that's the hardest part. the huge amount of internal dialogue is probably the other issue. what producers should do is start chronologically with the golden age. the series's actual start is too dark and unrelatable. i can't describe berserk for people because that first chapters start after the big spoiler event and so it doesn't really capture a large amount of the story. to say berserk is about fighting demons makes it sound too cliched and that's not accurate.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Crabtree posted:

97 is a goddamn masterpiece compared to anything besides the manga and don't you dare tell me otherwise.
Agreed, which I don't always with you but agreed agreed.

I remember checking very specifically a couple years ago. I had thought "well the 100 man actually seemed pretty good in the movie and they had better motion so...". Naup. The 100 man in the anime is paced better and kinda really a character turning point, so it's really important to catch that balance between the action and the sheer dread that reflects Guts descent into what ultimately becomes the Black Swordsman.

Looking back it's also the primary development of Casca's stated emotional dependency on Griffith, which slippery slopes into her letting Guts go. At that point she can't do anything without orders from Griffith.

I think when she wakes she may finally become her own person, dependent on neither Griffith nor Guts.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The soundtrack is sooo good.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Casca uses the behelit, but does it on Rickert's mountain of badass monks that they've turned into a demon killing fortress. Everyone gets branded. Come and collect them, assholes.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Crabtree posted:

oh mos def, I guess I should be clear that I think the 97 series is incredible and like many in the West is what got me into Berserk, but its just a victim of its own time, catching up to the end of what was published during that period.

I wish they would bring over that HD remaster they put out on Bluray in Japan because it looks fantastic and I'd love to give my money over for an official release

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

U-DO Burger posted:

Some film buffs think the reason black and white moves can be so compelling is that lots of people dream in black and white

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

Some film buffs think the reason black and white moves can be so compelling is that lots of people dream in black and white

My blind buddy dreams only in sounds. I've always wanted to ask him what nightmares sound like to him and then sit down and try to make one.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah the 97 series has excellent direction and also keeps a lot of the composition of the original comic, probably because it's budget was so low and they couldn't get creative with the scenes.

If they just had a bit more animation. But less animation is way better than movement for the heck of it that was 2016.

Like the movies have some really beautiful scenes but they're just not as effective from a storytelling perspective as the manga or 97 anime.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ccs posted:

Yeah the 97 series has excellent direction and also keeps a lot of the composition of the original comic, probably because it's budget was so low and they couldn't get creative with the scenes.

If they just had a bit more animation. But less animation is way better than movement for the heck of it that was 2016.

Like the movies have some really beautiful scenes but they're just not as effective from a storytelling perspective as the manga or 97 anime.

Also 100% less Griffith show tunes.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Solice Kirsk posted:

Also 100% less Griffith show tunes.

You cannot stress enough the significance of the 97 and movie's dub team and their beautiful outtakes.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Re: the matter of how much Griff cared about the Hawk's, it's notable to remember the argument that Ubik and Conrad used to bring him over the edge: they reminded him that he started this journey with a childhood friend of his, and that said friend and many other companions had died for the cause along the way. They put forth that effectively the sacrifice of the Hawks at the Eclipse was really no different from if Guts, Casca, Pippin, Judeau, Corkus, and the rest had just died on the field and that to give up on the Hawks and just live as an invalid would be to make the deaths up to that point meaningless.

Obviously this argument relies on Griffith being a egomaniac to start with of course, because it implies that "the cause" was all about Griffith Getting His Castle instead of, ya know, them all just getting by with their job and their buddies (hence why they were all going to follow Guts, itself something Griffith couldn't tolerate), but it does again demonstrate that Griffith placed a given value on those lives, and that the sacrifice WAS a sacrifice for him.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Crabtree posted:

You cannot stress enough the significance of the 97 and movie's dub team and their beautiful outtakes.

I had no idea the movies also had dub outtakes. There goes the rest of my evening.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I took 2 years of berserk off waiting for a build up. Lol.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017

RC Cola posted:

I took 2 years of berserk off waiting for a build up. Lol.

Must have taken you almost an hour to catch up.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Solice Kirsk posted:

My blind buddy dreams only in sounds. I've always wanted to ask him what nightmares sound like to him and then sit down and try to make one.

you **need** to do this

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Nebakenezzer posted:

you **need** to do this

And report back

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I always try to remember, but we only ever see each other like a few times a year. He travels all the time for his job (he develops software for the blind and teaches kids how to use it in schools) and when we get together we're usually too busy drinking and catching up, but I promise I'll try to remember this time.

Fun fact, there is an app that blind people can use where they activate a camera and ask a sighted person to look at something or read something or tell them their hair/outfit looks funny.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

Rodyle posted:

Re: the matter of how much Griff cared about the Hawk's, it's notable to remember the argument that Ubik and Conrad used to bring him over the edge: they reminded him that he started this journey with a childhood friend of his, and that said friend and many other companions had died for the cause along the way. They put forth that effectively the sacrifice of the Hawks at the Eclipse was really no different from if Guts, Casca, Pippin, Judeau, Corkus, and the rest had just died on the field and that to give up on the Hawks and just live as an invalid would be to make the deaths up to that point meaningless.

Obviously this argument relies on Griffith being a egomaniac to start with of course, because it implies that "the cause" was all about Griffith Getting His Castle instead of, ya know, them all just getting by with their job and their buddies (hence why they were all going to follow Guts, itself something Griffith couldn't tolerate), but it does again demonstrate that Griffith placed a given value on those lives, and that the sacrifice WAS a sacrifice for him.

It's one thing to die on the battlefield for a cause, it's another to be eaten by Apostles and then condemned to Hell. I don't think very many people would have been willing to sacrifice themselves in THAT manner.

Speaking of Hell, I'm almost positive that all of those in Falconia are also condemned to Hell due to contact with a God Hand member.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I finally caught up after stopping before they got off the boat.

:stare:

That loving cliffhanger. :catstare:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Pleiades posted:

It's one thing to die on the battlefield for a cause, it's another to be eaten by Apostles and then condemned to Hell. I don't think very many people would have been willing to sacrifice themselves in THAT manner.

I'm not DEFENDING his hosed up logic, just relating it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Maera Sior posted:

I had no idea the movies also had dub outtakes. There goes the rest of my evening.

You do not get Marc Diraison, Kevin T. Collins, Carrie Keranen and Robotnic back into the same recording studio and NOT have them ham it up some more! They know the original Outakes are Legend. They are gonna record all of this poo poo for every movie.

Carrie's movie Caska is much more frustrated and horny as poo poo about Griffith not even letting her give him a BJ!

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 17, 2018

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Maera Sior posted:

:same:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I was trying to keep them secret and special for whenever goonami or someone else streamed them, but I guess the demonic cat is out of the bag.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The opera that starts about 2:30 in is good, can sorta picture Berserk as a opera as long as the Ring cycle

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

"I am cutting you in half because you are a Dick mon-ster"

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

It seems Farnese survived despite my prophey. Well done!

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
http://wasabisyrup.com/archives/JUS7tjDiK5k korean raws if you can't wait. i couldn't. that two-page spread got me teary-eyed even with the umaru watermark smack dab in the middle

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Space Flower posted:

http://wasabisyrup.com/archives/JUS7tjDiK5k korean raws if you can't wait. i couldn't. that two-page spread got me teary-eyed even with the umaru watermark smack dab in the middle

Your do your best beam is not helping me resist the temptation. I'm gonna click it.

EDIT: I clicked it.

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 20, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The link seems to be busted for me.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Oh no. Guts is the bad guy

Hiatus once more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God
Does anyone know if there's going to be another installment next month? This would be the worst hiatus.

Solice Kirsk posted:

The link seems to be busted for me.

Adblock blanks the entire page.