Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

have you guys even played a Newgrounds game, they're nowhere on the same level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

DLC Inc posted:

have you guys even played a Newgrounds game, they're nowhere on the same level

I know that. The game still has that same janky air about it’s art and interface though that puts me off.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Feenix posted:

A little Meh for me (the Nindies Direct) but that may be more due to personal preferences.
On the whole it was underwhelming for me, but while there were no shocking announcements, almost everything they announced looks pretty solid. I'm definitely getting Lumines (again), Just Shapes and Beats looks good, and Pool Panic looks might have potential.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
SHININ’ and I Hear the Music in My Soul confirmed for best mobile trance experience 2018

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I know that. The game still has that same janky air about it’s art and interface though that puts me off.

yeh it looks low quality even if it's not literally on the same level as a flash game shat out quick

I'm not saying it actually is low quality or that it plays bad but visual impressions matter and mediocre visuals never make an experience better. At the absolute best they're inoffensive and at worst they hinder the end product. With so many options on the table, many devs are more aware than ever that many of us are looking for reasons not to try/buy a game or write it off as a skip. Not enough time, maaaan

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I want to play tennis

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbYWOx1NTao

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I want to play tennis

Same. I call Boo!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
We’re playing Golf Story.

No I’m not grandpa I’m playing tennis!

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
Lumines was my jam back on the original PSP - I'm pumped they're bringing that to the Switch, at least.

Back to the controller discussion that I had brought up earlier, has anyone used either of these?

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Con...ntroller+switch

https://www.amazon.com/Bestruket-Wi...1QAEBBS4JPR022P

It's a good $30-40 cheaper than the official Pro controller and has everything the Pro controller has (from what I can tell) except the amiibo read functionality (which I could care less about).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The real pro controller has excellent battery life (in fact, it uses the original 3DS's battery), and is solid as gently caress.

I bought this one from ebay, using the 20% off coupon, but $45 is still a good deal:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Switch-Pro-Controller/273058820155

It did not have the updated D-pad, but I played a bit with it and it seemed just fine. However, opening it up to do the kapton mod is a simple case of having a #00 sized Philips driver and a few pieces of tape.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
You Mark of the Ninja art-haters are straight up Game Bigots.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/976179124011089920?s=21
Was this previously announced for Switch? Strange it wasn’t in the showcase.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Nope this is the firstr time HyperLightDrifter got announced.

Nice.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
It wasn't, that's loving rad. Means I only have one dream indie to see on here. (N++, do it!!)

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

So is it kind of an adventure game like the latter Paper Marios?

You know, what it REALLY reminds me of is the old Quest for Glory games by Sierra! You'll get equipment and level up, and the stats you level up will unlock succeeding at various checks and obstacles. There's 3 classes, each with a different focus, but every class can use the same multiple solutions to attack puzzles, just with each having different strengths. (Multiple classes, multiple pardners, multiple solutions to puzzles is where replayability comes from. Also a hard mode.)

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Can't wait to see people complaining about the dpad when they play Lumines. If it's anything like it was on 360, people are gonna get mad for sure

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kikkoman posted:

Can't wait to see people complaining about the dpad when they play Lumines. If it's anything like it was on 360, people are gonna get mad for sure

I find the segmented buttons even better than a dpad for puzzle games so no worries from me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/976179124011089920?s=21
Was this previously announced for Switch? Strange it wasn’t in the showcase.

Why wasn't this announced in the presentation? Did they forget?

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's Nintendo being Nintendo

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Pretty loving cool! That tweet alone was way better than the entire Direct

That said, I can't say I'll be double-dipping. I had a blast on PC but I did beat it from finish to end. If I recall correctly there isn't much of a reason to go back and replay it. Also, I would have liked a better map.

But the combat is sick and extremely engaging, and the first time through I had a ton of fun getting gud. Those of you who have yet to play it are in for a serious treat

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
Also Crashlands and Nidhogg 2, apparently.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
nuclear throne next please (now that it is physically easily portable)!!!!!!!

I'd break my loving fingers from overexertion if we ever get NT on switch, love that tiny little Gamemaker gem

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

this is almost as dumb as when they forgot to add "oh yeah and we also have a 2D Metroid on 3DS coming out soon, peace" at E3 last year, AFTER the main presentation.

The Manticore posted:

Also Crashlands and Nidhogg 2, apparently.

lol what the gently caress, who even planned this Direct??? "Yeah let's leave out these 3 very popular indie games who the gently caress cares tweet them later"

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 20, 2018

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

DLC Inc posted:

this is almost as dumb as when they forgot to add "oh yeah and we also have a 2D Metroid on 3DS coming out soon, peace" at E3 last year, AFTER the main presentation.

This was insane.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

DLC Inc posted:

Still doesn't top... I think it was 2013, where they announced that a highly-anticipated title- Fire Emblem Awakening, was indeed being localized on Twitter RIGHT AFTER their big E3 presentation.

Said game went on to sell like gangbusters and dragged Fire Emblem out of "niche" status and into being one of Nintendo's best-selling franchises.

Sometimes Nintendo just gonna Nintendo.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Was anything announced at the Nindies a rerelease and not a completely new title (or continuation of an existing series)? They might of not wanted to spend any time on games that were already released.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It was... Nintentional

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
oh who am I kidding, talking about HLD is getting me in the mood to play it again and I will probably double dip on it and on all other Good Indie Games :sigh:

Internet Kraken posted:

Was anything announced at the Nindies a rerelease and not a completely new title (or continuation of an existing series)? They might of not wanted to spend any time on games that were already released.

This was my thinking too but isn't that west of loathing game a port? other than that, I think you might be right

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

Still doesn't top... I think it was 2013, where they announced that a highly-anticipated title- Fire Emblem Awakening, was indeed being localized on Twitter RIGHT AFTER their big E3 presentation.

Said game went on to sell like gangbusters and dragged Fire Emblem out of "niche" status and into being one of Nintendo's best-selling franchises.

Sometimes Nintendo just gonna Nintendo.

Fire Emblem Awakening absolutely saved the franchise and probably was extremely instrumental in the resurgence of the 3DS, but I had no idea the announcement was an afterthought

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

KingSlime posted:

oh who am I kidding, talking about HLD is getting me in the mood to play it again and I will probably double dip on it and on all other Good Indie Games :sigh:

This was my thinking too but isn't that west of loathing game a port? other than that, I think you might be right

"console exclusive" is the term they used but yeah its out on PC.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Interesting strategy, announcing all the big-name indie games after an underwhelming presentation.

I've got a friend who's excited as hell for portable Fantasy Strike, and I'm hoping since we're getting Lumines that might mean we'll get Meteos down the line too. Also there's too many games so I'm glad they're taking my advice and are taking a break from releasing them.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
there really are too many games

still Need to Buy(tm): DQ Builders, Rayman Legends, Stardew Valley, NECRODANCER, other games that came out months ago

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Shneak posted:

What the gently caress is a Nindies?

indie games you already beat on pc ported to switch

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

KingSlime posted:

But the combat is sick and extremely engaging, and the first time through I had a ton of fun getting gud. Those of you who have yet to play it are in for a serious treat

What type of game is HLD? I've seen videos and I really can't quite tell what it is. It reminds me of the Demontower mini-game in A Night in the Woods, which I loved so, that's a good sign I guess.

Thinking of why they wouldn't share this information alongside other titles like Nidhogg 2 (really liked the first one, but I have no one to play it with...), makes sense if you consider that maybe they didn't want to overwhelm the lesser titles they're releasing? Say they had given a release date for Hollow Knight at the same time, no one would possibly be talking about Lumines or the other games. The lack of interest in those games got me at least wondering about Bad North. I doubt I would've given it much thought were HK mentioned as well. Or they're just bad at marketing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Crashlands is cool! I’ll probably buy it.

I recommend it to people that want to scratch that diablo 1-2 itch. It does get repetitive and the last boss made me quit but still.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Detective No. 27 posted:

Lmao loving Nintendo

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Lumines was my jam back on the original PSP - I'm pumped they're bringing that to the Switch, at least.

Back to the controller discussion that I had brought up earlier, has anyone used either of these?

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Con...ntroller+switch

https://www.amazon.com/Bestruket-Wi...1QAEBBS4JPR022P

It's a good $30-40 cheaper than the official Pro controller and has everything the Pro controller has (from what I can tell) except the amiibo read functionality (which I could care less about).

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The real pro controller has excellent battery life (in fact, it uses the original 3DS's battery), and is solid as gently caress.

I bought this one from ebay, using the 20% off coupon, but $45 is still a good deal:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Switch-Pro-Controller/273058820155

It did not have the updated D-pad, but I played a bit with it and it seemed just fine. However, opening it up to do the kapton mod is a simple case of having a #00 sized Philips driver and a few pieces of tape.

Well if you buy on eBay before 7pm pacific today, you get 15% of your order if you enter PSPRINGTIME (its a one time use, so add all items to your cart and pay at once using the code).

So try to find a pro controller there. Otherwise, if the reviews on those controllers do not convince you they were worth trying. Just spend hte extra on a Pro controller. $59 is worth it.

Or if you have another bluetooth controller you like (like a spare DS4), you can get one of these bluetooth adapters and plug into your dock

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 20, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Guys, Hyperlight Drifter is coming to the Switch. in T-shirt form

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm gonna be 100% not surprised when F-Zero Rammers is revealed in an adjacent E3 Treehouse segment as a throwaway comment this year, as well as a tweeted announcement that something like Vanquish is "available today"

• Locked thread