Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Jimbot posted:

So a friend of mine got accepted to the Lambda School for a part time computer science course.

Maybe I should do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have a very general question, more of a discussion topic than a specific question.

In short, I'm looking for a challenge that will help me grow my career. My day job has gotten to be quite routine - client asks for changes, I implement changes, and collect my paycheck. I want to drive towards getting a remote job so I need a way to market myself by programming something available to the public. I've read all the cliche advice "solve a problem you have, something you care about" etc.

One of the pain points in my day job is a dependency on a very not-fun email server: https://www.mailenable.com/. I hate this thing, we only use a miniscule fraction of it's features, and since we're a .NET shop there aren't really any other email servers available. So I was thinking about trying to implement a mail server that speaks IMAP/POP3/SMTP.

But uuuhhhh that seems really loving hard. How the gently caress do you even start something like that. Or alternatively what other things could I do in .NET land for a fresh challenge?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Careful Drums posted:

I have a very general question, more of a discussion topic than a specific question.

In short, I'm looking for a challenge that will help me grow my career. My day job has gotten to be quite routine - client asks for changes, I implement changes, and collect my paycheck. I want to drive towards getting a remote job so I need a way to market myself by programming something available to the public. I've read all the cliche advice "solve a problem you have, something you care about" etc.

One of the pain points in my day job is a dependency on a very not-fun email server: https://www.mailenable.com/. I hate this thing, we only use a miniscule fraction of it's features, and since we're a .NET shop there aren't really any other email servers available. So I was thinking about trying to implement a mail server that speaks IMAP/POP3/SMTP.

But uuuhhhh that seems really loving hard. How the gently caress do you even start something like that. Or alternatively what other things could I do in .NET land for a fresh challenge?

Very simple place to start; read the specifications.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3501.html
https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1939.txt
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5321

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Doctor Malaver posted:

I'm looking for a JS library or a small web app (no flash) for making exercises with flow diagrams. We ask the user to construct a diagram based on something they learned previously and they move around shapes and draw arrows and write stuff into labels, and we check whether they got it right. Anyone knows of something like that?

Sorry if the explanation is poor. I'm not a developer, just helping with research.

I think this might be a few libraries that provide the functionality needed. One library for the shapes, one for drawing, and probably another providing drag n drop.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yeah, this is good advice.

I did something similar years ago where I implemented an HTTP server in python from scratch. At first, it seemed like an insurmountable mountain of difficulty, but then I read the specs and realized its just a matter of sending and receiving text formatted according to the HTTP specs over sockets. Once I grasped that, it was then easy-ish to break the problem down into discrete achievable goals.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, this is good advice.

I did something similar years ago where I implemented an HTTP server in python from scratch. At first, it seemed like an insurmountable mountain of difficulty, but then I read the specs and realized its just a matter of sending and receiving text formatted according to the HTTP specs over sockets. Once I grasped that, it was then easy-ish to break the problem down into discrete achievable goals.

Thanks for replying, because I've just spent and hour thinking "gently caress now I gotta actually do this and if I don't everyone will know I'm a punk on the CoC forums". How much time did you spend on your HTTP server? Did you publish it anywhere?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Careful Drums posted:

Thanks for replying, because I've just spent and hour thinking "gently caress now I gotta actually do this and if I don't everyone will know I'm a punk on the CoC forums". How much time did you spend on your HTTP server? Did you publish it anywhere?

Unfortunately, most of my code that I wrote for myself from before github was around is long gone. This was about 15 years ago! I think I wrote it one summer and it was my main project during that time...but I wasn't coding full-time either. Not very helpful, I know, but I can't remember for sure.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Here is a SOCKS proxy that i wrote back in 1999 or 2000 or so that i found on my harddrive (yea, my /home folder is that old). As you can see, nothing much to it, just passing bytes around and interpreting them according to the spec.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Volguus posted:

Here is a SOCKS proxy that i wrote back in 1999 or 2000 or so that i found on my harddrive (yea, my /home folder is that old). As you can see, nothing much to it, just passing bytes around and interpreting them according to the spec.

That's super cool. Its funny to me how your comments describe the protocol and it looks very intimidating (at least to me) but then the implementation below is pretty short. Its a great starting point. Thanks for sharing!

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
More specifically, I am writing my own mail server right now. It’s in Haskell, but I can vouch to the simplicity of the protocols involved. IMAP is the hardest but still not horrid.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I once had the idea to look into doing a 3270 client with a nicer user interface.

Once I found the 1000+ page book describing the protocol, I elected not to write a 3270 client.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Is there a thread for React/React Native I'm not seeing?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

uncle blog posted:

Coding Horrors?

(try the Modern front-end development thread)

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So I work for a two person startup, where I am the technical / design / everything person, with a contracted dev for some python / Django stuff. We are starting to sell access to our web app to colleges, and they all want us to fill out a Vendor Questionnaire with 970,721,319 questions about BSIMM, OWASP, SOC 2 and many other fine acronyms I have never heard of, as well as more general questions like so:

quote:

Are data input and output integrity routines (i.e., reconciliation and edit checks) implemented for application interfaces and databases to prevent manual or systematic processing errors or corruption of data?

and

quote:

Are all identified security, contractual, and regulatory requirements for customer access contractually addressed and remediated prior to granting customers access to data, assets, and information systems?

I never learned this in art school, so does anyone have a "filling out security questionnaires for stupid people" guide they know of? We'd love to pay someone to do it, but we don't have much money until we sign some customers which we can't do until we fill these things out. Any other advice on these like "nobody looks at them, so just don't lie" or anything?

EDIT Also, does anyone have experience with tools like Codacity? ( https://www.codacy.com/ ) are they worth using (these question forms always ask about automated security testing) or are they more trouble than they are worth...

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 19, 2018

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

gmq posted:

Coding Horrors?

(try the Modern front-end development thread)

uncle blog posted:

Modern front-end development thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571035

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Lumpy posted:

So I work for a two person startup, where I am the technical / design / everything person, with a contracted dev for some python / Django stuff. We are starting to sell access to our web app to colleges, and they all want us to fill out a Vendor Questionnaire with 970,721,319 questions about BSIMM, OWASP, SOC 2 and many other fine acronyms I have never heard of, as well as more general questions like so:

I never learned this in art school, so does anyone have a "filling out security questionnaires for stupid people" guide they know of? We'd love to pay someone to do it, but we don't have much money until we sign some customers which we can't do until we fill these things out. Any other advice on these like "nobody looks at them, so just don't lie" or anything?

Anything you write on these will be used against you if anything goes wrong (data breach, downtime, etc.) so don't write anything you can't defend.
Your first quote I read as: "If I reverse-engineered any client code, could I get access to do things I shouldn't, or get to write data that shouldn't pass validation?" I.e. are data sent to the system validated server-side and will be rejected if invalid.
The second seems to be: "Do you confirm the identity and credentials of everyone granted access to the system?" Could anyone get access without having been granted it by an administrator?

This is the kind of document where you'd be best off getting a lawyer's assistance, especially your first time with a major client.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Jimbot posted:

So a friend of mine got accepted to the Lambda School for a part time computer science course. He's been wanting to get into programming for a long time (for a better paying job) but keeps hitting a wall when he tries to self-teach himself. Does anyone have any experience with this place or know someone who has? Is it legit? He got accepted and is enthusiastic but doesn't want to get involved with something won't help him learn the material or might end up being a scam or something.

Any info would be appreciated. He's looked around and has only found glowing reviews, but just wants to make sure before he commits to the course and gets his hopes up if it ends up being junk.

CourseReports was one of the primary places I checked before signing up for my boot camp and LambdaSchool seems to have good ratings. Always important when checking reviews to make sure they are made by real people. Course Reports make that easy by allowing for a LinkedIn profile to be connected with reviews. If your friends wants some extra security, he could find some profiles connected to reviews, reach out to those people, and ask them questions. Usually most people are more than happy to help!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Hey thread. Don't know if here is the best place to ask, but it is pretty "general" in a sense, so...

I have ADHD, which makes programming both really interesting and baffling sometimes. Immediate feedback provides the best way for people with attention disorders to learn (if the program doesn't work, you know it right away, so you get to keep engaged for instance) BUT makes elegant, better solutions kinda obfuscated and worse, it is difficult for me to come with nice ideas when time is a problem. For instance, I did pretty bad in a test yesterday, but the solutions started to come afterwards and (only then) I figured quickly what I did wrong.

Are there any tips to avoid bullrushing or blanking out with those, or is it just a matter of experience and keeping at it?

Many thanks in advance :)

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

dead comedy forums posted:

Hey thread. Don't know if here is the best place to ask, but it is pretty "general" in a sense, so...

I have ADHD, which makes programming both really interesting and baffling sometimes. Immediate feedback provides the best way for people with attention disorders to learn (if the program doesn't work, you know it right away, so you get to keep engaged for instance) BUT makes elegant, better solutions kinda obfuscated and worse, it is difficult for me to come with nice ideas when time is a problem. For instance, I did pretty bad in a test yesterday, but the solutions started to come afterwards and (only then) I figured quickly what I did wrong.

Are there any tips to avoid bullrushing or blanking out with those, or is it just a matter of experience and keeping at it?

Many thanks in advance :)

Use a statically typed language; they’ll tell you your most egregious errors.

Do you’re first implementation of at least your data model on paper. [Repeat until you’re happy with it; number of iterations will go down as you gain experience.]

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah I don't have any general advice or anything, but for me pen and paper really works. Kinda sketch out the general ideas and bullet points, break down and refine those and work out how they connect together (so you start to see the shape of things and the cases they need to handle). Try and think about what the edge cases are and if you need to do anything special, or if you can generalise part of it into a neat set of steps

If I just sit down at the computer I immediately want to start coding, so for me I don't have as much time to think about it, and the stuff I write starts to influence the end product (because you're actually laying down the foundations without a big picture plan). If you're a more iterative kind of person then that might be better for you. I can do a similar thing to the pen and paper approach in a comment block, but paper just works better for me

I don't know how difficult ADHD makes it, but doing bullet points and then expanding each one makes it easier to focus, because you're working on simple pieces and you have a clear measure of progress. Writing out some examples might help too, like if you're working on a list of items, so you can visualise it and work through it instead of trying to keep an abstract concept in your head. If you're under time pressure, being able to break things down methodically and set yourself actual tasks helps you to just get on with it.

But really you need to find a method that just works for you. Experience definitely helps too though, it just makes you sharper, ready to see simpler solutions (including remembering solutions you've encountered before) and to know when it's better to just make something that works, instead of the ideal solution you won't reach in time

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Experience helps a lot, to be frank. Programming is not a native concept for pretty much anybody's brain, so the first course or two you take are almost invariably the hardest as you have to learn everything from scratch.

I'd recommend that you sketch out a high-level pseudocode implementation of your program, then "fill in the gaps" with real code. Like, if you had to write a calculator program that interprets text like "2 + 2" or "(4 * 3) / 6", the high-level code would be something like:
code:
get a line of text from the user
convert the text into list of computations
while list does not contain just one number {
  find highest-priority computation
  perform computation
  replace computation in list with its result
}
print list
This encourages you to think about how your program is going to work as a whole. Oftentimes you can identify bugs before you even start writing any real code -- maybe the function you thought you'd need to write to do X actually should do Y, for example. Writing code that solves the wrong problem is a common issue.

Once you have pseudocode that you're happy with, you can start converting it into real code. sometimes you'll need to break down some of the pseudoced into more pseudocode. The "find highest-priority computation" bit there looks pretty complicated, for example.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The "find highest-priority computation" bit there looks pretty complicated, for example.

See you at the other end of the rabbit hole! :v:

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Programming is not a native concept for pretty much anybody's brain

Unrelated and just my own personal experience/opinion here, but having come from a strong music/music production background before jumping into programming, I found there to be a ton of crossover in terms of the actual work-flow/process and the abstraction abilities needed. Maybe I'm just weird, but I found it to be almost a seamless transition and there was something about picking up programming that felt strangely familiar when I first started. Iterating over a function until you have it clean and just right is not too different in feel from spending hours cleaning up a snare drum with an EQ, for example.

Anyways, not to derail, but also to help point out to any newbies that I found it surprising how some previous seemingly-unrelated skills bled into programming. But YMMV.

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 20, 2018

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Dark Wind posted:

Unrelated and just my own personal experience/opinion here, but having come from a strong music/music production background before jumping into programming, I found there to be a ton of crossover in terms of the actual work-flow/process and the abstraction abilities needed. Maybe I'm just weird, but I found it to be almost a seamless transition and there was something about picking up programming that felt strangely familiar when I first started. Iterating over a function until you have it clean and just right is not too different in feel from spending hours cleaning up a snare drum with an EQ, for example.

Anyways, not too derail, but also to help point out to any newbies that I found it surprising how some previous seemingly-unrelated skills bled into programming. But YMMV.

I've noticed the same thing - the faculties for music seem to be closely related to programming. Chad Fowler wrote about it a bit in "The Passionate Programmer" (idk what y'alls opinion of that book is but it helped me a lot when I was starting off out of college).

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Ah, many thanks again :) I am trying to make a strong habit out of having pen and paper to sketch things up - that definitely helps - and I will try to come up with pseudocode as often as I can remember to do so. I mentioned ADHD mostly because it makes abstraction harder (not impossible though), which in turn makes harder to figure out more intelligent problem-solving approaches. Though, then again, makes it even more important to put those on paper and work step-by-step even if it is just to grok it out at first.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Why not map the drive over WebDav and use regular filecopy? Be sure to strip any characters not allowed on a webserver otherwise sharepoint will throw a fit.

The Fool posted:

After briefly looking through the other commands available in the module you're using, it doesn't look like it'll be easy. The issue is the Import-Document specifically only takes a document library as an argument there doesn't appear to be a way built in to the cmdlet.

You may need to get dirty with some .NET and use the Sharepoint CSOM.

Try asking in the powershell thread ( https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3286440) too though, someone else may have a better answer.

Sorry for the delayed response! Thank you both for the helpful answers; we ended up using PowerShell to create a "Migration" subfolder in everyone's source folders. Files were then transferred into the Migration folder prior to transfer to OneDrive.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Hey, I’m wrapping up my BBA and I’m looking to increase my computer touching prowess to get an edge over all the other dumbasses like me gunning for entry level finance jobs. Udemy was recommended to me by a friend of a friend, is it worth dropping the ~tenbux ea for a few courses?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

junan_paalla posted:

Hey, I’m wrapping up my BBA and I’m looking to increase my computer touching prowess to get an edge over all the other dumbasses like me gunning for entry level finance jobs. Udemy was recommended to me by a friend of a friend, is it worth dropping the ~tenbux ea for a few courses?

Yes. I’ve used Udemy and liked it.

What kind of computer knowhow do you need for finance?

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

lifg posted:

Yes. I’ve used Udemy and liked it.

What kind of computer knowhow do you need for finance?

I don't really know, but I figured programming and webdev basics can't hurt. I should probably attend some of the alumni/student mingles held by the student associations and unions and chat up some people who really know about it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's some value in knowing enough Python to automate things that you'd have to do mostly manually in Excel. You'll still have to do a lot in Excel, though.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

There's some value in knowing enough Python to automate things that you'd have to do mostly manually in Excel. You'll still have to do a lot in Excel, though.

Isn't Excel going to actually integrate Python in the next version or something?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't know. There's already some R integration, so I wouldn't be surprised.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

junan_paalla posted:

I'd also recommend Automate the Boring Stuff with Python: Practical Programming for Total Beginners. It was the first book I used when I got into programming and besides being an introductory book, it talks about how to automate Excel stuff and other super useful tasks.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Now that I think about it, doesn’t the entire finance sector run on Excel? Mastering Excel will likely engender tremendous love from your future coworkers.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

lifg posted:

Now that I think about it, doesn’t the entire finance sector run on Excel? Mastering Excel will likely engender tremendous love from your future coworkers.

That's what I've heard and that's what our IT courses were mainly about. Thanks for helping guys!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

nielsm posted:

Isn't Excel going to actually integrate Python in the next version or something?

https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10549005-python-as-an-excel-scripting-language

This was the last I’ve heard on it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't think it would make that much sense. They really need to some sort of coherent strategy for what they're going to do about extensibility for Office going forward. I'm not sure what sort of uptake the javascript api has been seeing.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

mystes posted:

I don't think it would make that much sense. They really need to some sort of coherent strategy for what they're going to do about extensibility for Office going forward. I'm not sure what sort of uptake the javascript api has been seeing.

I didn't know about the javascript API, thanks! Between the C# EPPlus library and a javascript api - that should cover a lot of my excel coding stuff.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

why'd the emacs thread get locked? for shame. just wanted to post this sick link https://emacs.zeef.com/ehartc with plenty of packages I never heard of. Anyone use parinfer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mike12345 posted:

why'd the emacs thread get locked? for shame. just wanted to post this sick link https://emacs.zeef.com/ehartc with plenty of packages I never heard of. Anyone use parinfer?
It probably got auto-archived after a year of no posts.