Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Thor 2 is the only MCU movie I never got around to seeing

I think Loki posing as Odin was the only plot point that wound up mattering to anything else. Other than the stinger where they give The Collector the Aether/reality gem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Still haven't watched Doctor Strange. Didn't feel like it at the time and don't feel like I'm missing anything right now.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Samuringa posted:

Still haven't watched Doctor Strange. Didn't feel like it at the time and don't feel like I'm missing anything right now.

The eye of agamotto is a container for the time gem

Thats pretty much all you need to take away from it

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think Thor: The Dark World and Doctor Strange are really good, fun movies that suffer from being inextricably linked to much better movies. I think if they were standalone adventure films they’d fare much, much better in terms of popular opinion.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's one of the relatively few ones I saw in the cinema. The only MCU movies I've seen in the cinema are Thor 2, Avengers 2, Guardians 1, Civil War, Doctor Strange and Homecoming (which I realise is still a third of them).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’d say Strange is worth a watch (it’s currently up on Netflix US). Cumberbatch and the overall plot are fairly mediocre, but the Dormammu “fight” is great and Ejiofor and Wong do well with their unfortunately limited roles. Mads was completely wasted but “Mr Doctor” is a fantastic exchange.

I really think you could have elevated the film just by switching some of the casting. Have Mikkelson or Ejiofor play Strange, Cumberbatch as Wong, Benedict Wong as Mordo or the Ancient One. The plot would still be thin but at least you wouldn’t have a weak lead and three wasted talents.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Phylodox posted:

I think Thor: The Dark World and Doctor Strange are really good, fun movies that suffer from being inextricably linked to much better movies. I think if they were standalone adventure films they’d fare much, much better in terms of popular opinion.

My biggest issue with Doctor Strange is that they had a reaaaally good actor for the villain and then basically did nothing with him

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fartbox posted:

My biggest issue with Doctor Strange is that they had a reaaaally good actor for the villain and then basically did nothing with him

To be fair, that's hardly unique to Doctor Strange. Thor 2 had Christopher Eccleston then made the inexplicable decision of putting him under 20 pounds of makeup and having 99 percent of his dialogue be gibberish. Iron Man 2 almost completely wastes both Rourke and Rockwell. Lee Pace is criminally under-used in Guardians 1. Daniel Bruhl is a complete non-entity in Civil War, as is Robert Redford in Winter Soldier, and I can't remember a single thing Corey Stoll did in Ant-Man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

To be fair, that's hardly unique to Doctor Strange. Thor 2 had Christopher Eccleston then made the inexplicable decision of putting him under 20 pounds of makeup and having 99 percent of his dialogue be gibberish. Iron Man 2 almost completely wastes both Rourke and Rockwell. Lee Pace is criminally under-used in Guardians 1. Daniel Bruhl is a complete non-entity in Civil War, as is Robert Redford in Winter Soldier, and I can't remember a single thing Corey Stoll did in Ant-Man.

You sonuvabitch

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Sam Rockwell is a treasure.

Also I'd be really sad if I actually paid to see Thor 2. Or Iron Man 2.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

You sonuvabitch

Yeah, he has that brief moment and the bird scene. Otherwise he barely does anything in the entire movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

Yeah, he has that brief moment and the bird scene. Otherwise he barely does anything in the entire movie.

What? He's in a solid 30 minutes of the movie and he's gold in every scene.

I love that he somehow manages to work dancing into most of his roles.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I was actually thinking about this the other day, the MCU villains actors tend to be much more notable than their heroes. Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, Mads Mikkelsen, Kurt Russel, Jeff Bridges, Lee Pace; I don't remember if Michael B. Jordan was big before BP but he clearly outshone everyone else in the movie. Tom Hiddleston wasn't a standout in Thor but by the time The Avengers rolled out he was one of the main attractions.

Although I remember reading somewhere that Blanchett accepted the role so she could have some fun hamming it up and getting some easy pay, so maybe that's intentional? Picking big stars for one-off appearances?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
MBJ has been on a non stop rocket upwards that was only slightly held up by F4. Dude was poised to be a mega star and BP sealed that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Fartbox posted:

He would've been great as Doctor Doom. Now we'll just have to get Javier Bardem instead.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Michael B. Jordan has been big for years because he works out a lot.

:v:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Samuringa posted:

I was actually thinking about this the other day, the MCU villains actors tend to be much more notable than their heroes. Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, Mads Mikkelsen, Kurt Russel, Jeff Bridges, Lee Pace; I don't remember if Michael B. Jordan was big before BP but he clearly outshone everyone else in the movie. Tom Hiddleston wasn't a standout in Thor but by the time The Avengers rolled out he was one of the main attractions.

Although I remember reading somewhere that Blanchett accepted the role so she could have some fun hamming it up and getting some easy pay, so maybe that's intentional? Picking big stars for one-off appearances?

It's almost entirely that. Marvel Studios has been pretty explicit about hiring up and coming actors for the heroes rather than established ones, at least post Iron Man/Incredible Hulk (and RDJ was certainly in a low point in terms of career when Iron Man came out).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Except for the most recent two, Cumberbatch and Brie Larson.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It makes sense with the current model. If you're going to use someone in a single film go all out, if you want them for a 10 film contract, you don't really want to pay them $500 million a picture

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I just read an article about "Did Black Panther Just Become Hollywood's Worst Nightmare?" which basically suggests that Black Panther is so popular that its long tail is threatening to kill other blockbusters instead of just indie movies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
gently caress Hollywood.

Wakanda Forever.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

gently caress Hollywood.

Wakanda Forever.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm quite fond of Thor 2 for a number of reasons, but something that's not brought up often is that it's one of the first (and even now, one of the only few) Marvel films to fully commit to a bombastic orchestral score complete with recurring themes and leitmotifs...that are actually really loving good. Even the other few Marvel films that commit to putting out memorable music tend to end up being just, oh, okay, I guess this is the character's theme, it was fitting I guess. Thor 2 is the one that I'd gladly loop in my iTunes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’d say Strange is worth a watch (it’s currently up on Netflix US). Cumberbatch and the overall plot are fairly mediocre, but the Dormammu “fight” is great and Ejiofor and Wong do well with their unfortunately limited roles. Mads was completely wasted but “Mr Doctor” is a fantastic exchange.

I really think you could have elevated the film just by switching some of the casting. Have Mikkelson or Ejiofor play Strange, Cumberbatch as Wong, Benedict Wong as Mordo or the Ancient One. The plot would still be thin but at least you wouldn’t have a weak lead and three wasted talents.
IMO, Strange’s 5 minute scene in Thor Ragnarok was better than the majority of his own film

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rand Brittain posted:

I just read an article about "Did Black Panther Just Become Hollywood's Worst Nightmare?" which basically suggests that Black Panther is so popular that its long tail is threatening to kill other blockbusters instead of just indie movies.

Would A Wrinkle In Time and Red Sparrow and (prospectively) Tomb Raider really have done that much better without BP about?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BrianWilly posted:

I'm quite fond of Thor 2 for a number of reasons, but something that's not brought up often is that it's one of the first (and even now, one of the only few) Marvel films to fully commit to a bombastic orchestral score complete with recurring themes and leitmotifs...that are actually really loving good. Even the other few Marvel films that commit to putting out memorable music tend to end up being just, oh, okay, I guess this is the character's theme, it was fitting I guess. Thor 2 is the one that I'd gladly loop in my iTunes.

This is kind of unrelated but the Ant-Man leitmotif is easily the best, most memorable piece of music for me in the entire MCU.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

FlamingLiberal posted:

IMO, Strange’s 5 minute scene in Thor Ragnarok was better than the majority of his own film

You're not wrong, but I appreciated how Dr Strange managed to make magic in the MCU play out like something weird, trippy, and puzzle-like instead of simply throwing power blasts and punches around. The skyscraper fight was all about glass ninjas trying to trump each other through impossible positioning tricks, and the final confrontation with Dormammu was literally just an elaborate prank.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Doctor Strange himself is not a terribly interesting character (and some of the more forced attempts at humor just kind of end up making it worse, imo), but the visuals and the really creative poo poo in the fights are worth the price of admission (which as it turns out is zero if you're an active Netflix subscriber). Stuff like the New York chase and a lady getting sucked into a fishtank are awesome, and Dormammu's defeat is just incredibly clever.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Arist posted:

This is kind of unrelated but the Ant-Man leitmotif is easily the best, most memorable piece of music for me in the entire MCU.

The Captain America March is #1 and it’s a crying shame it hasn’t seen more use in the movies but Silvestri is doing the music for Infinity War so hopefully he’ll bring it back.

Speaking of, the Avengers theme is boss and I’m glad it’s finally being front-and-centred in the promos for Infinity War.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
my favorite is still the winter soldier theme

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Nothing against BP, but I hope Pacific Rim 2 is good and makes a ton of money this weekend.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

You're not wrong, but I appreciated how Dr Strange managed to make magic in the MCU play out like something weird, trippy, and puzzle-like instead of simply throwing power blasts and punches around. The skyscraper fight was all about glass ninjas trying to trump each other through impossible positioning tricks, and the final confrontation with Dormammu was literally just an elaborate prank.

I mean, I remember a lot of punches and kicks being thrown in in Doctor Strange, but they had magical swords and spears and were on the walls instead of the floor. Doing a fight between wizards is apparently really hard to do right on film because the only thing that pops into my head is two minutes out of the entirety of the Harry Potter film franchise where Dumbledore and Voldemort have a visually interesting spell duel that's beyond just the clashing lightning bolt poo poo that usually passes for wizard duels.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 20, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mr Hootington posted:

Nothing against BP, but I hope Pacific Rim 2 is good and makes a ton of money this weekend.

I really want it to be good and do well but I've got a baaaaad feeling on both of those fronts. Shame, I've loved Boyega since Attack the Block.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sitting at 65% with 20 reviews in. Likely to drop into the 50s I guess, that’s the usual trend.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
PR2 is hosed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I mean, I’m gonna go see it on Friday but I don’t have high hopes, which sucks since Pacific Rim is one of my favorite big dumb movies.

Ever since they announced GDT wasn’t back I’ve been like “welp”.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Steven DeKnight is way better than Del Toro for a movie where robots punch monsters.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Phylodox posted:

Speaking of, the Avengers theme is boss and I’m glad it’s finally being front-and-centred in the promos for Infinity War.

I like the theme a lot more after realizing you can sing the letters of AVENGERS to the melody.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love all the MCU movies, some I prefer over others, but I don't find any boring or actively hate any of them. I think part of it is seeing something I've loved for 30+ years being brought to the scene, being popular and also being true (enough) to the source material. That doesn't explain Guardians because I barely knew about them outside of knowing Dan Abnett wrote them, and I love his Warhammer book. Though I love a good space opera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Inkspot posted:

I like the theme a lot more after realizing you can sing the letters of AVENGERS to the melody.

:monocle:

• Locked thread