Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/TrueFactsStated/status/975862833207496705

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Scientists are inquiring as to where they can get such a high-resolution camera.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

We see it any time a person talks on Fox News.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Platystemon posted:

Yeah but we’re talking about Uber here.

So some hacker will have the answers and Uber will pay them thousands to shut them up.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Randaconda posted:

You can easily intimidate the beta females and have your pick of the strongest men, so your offspring have the best chance of survival.

I'm a lesbian.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I take it back. Don’t release it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/975883694929076227

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Unfortunately TrueFactsStated is a verified grifter and rube

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Minecraft server drama leads to a wave of bomb threats at UK schools

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/nzherald/status/975884708071596032

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Mysterious aurora Steve seen from Scotland

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Their Georgia O’Keefe logo isn’t helping.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

gently caress you, you overgrown hamster.

I assumed it was parody coming so soon after assuring us he's only level 1 obese, whatever that means, though I agree it's funnier to visualize a wheezing lard seriously talk about the height requirements for being considered a healthy Aryan specimen

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I assumed it was parody coming so soon after assuring us he's only level 1 obese, whatever that means, though I agree it's funnier to visualize a wheezing lard seriously talk about the height requirements for being considered a healthy Aryan specimen

Means a BMI of 30-35.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phlegmish posted:

I didn't bring being level one obese, I just said I was pretty fat but could still fit on rides and poo poo.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

quote:

One of the alleged perpetrators of the hoax acknowledged that terrorizing thousands of children by threatening to blow them up "is horrible, it's not the nicest thing," but also attempted to justify the action by accusing VeltPvP of taking part in DDoS attacks against other Minecraft servers. "What that network has done is horrible," said the person who felt that threatening to mass-murder schoolchildren was a fair and proportionate response to being mad about a videogame.

One attacker—it's not clear whether it's the same as the one above—expressed regret, "kind of," for the threats, but added, "within the community, you have to become very thick skinned or you'll get exploited ... I'm not going to lose sleep over it."

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never played Minecraft, but I thought it was aimed at children, not manchildren.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Randaconda posted:

I've never played Minecraft, but I thought it was aimed at children, not manchildren.

EVERYTHING aimed at children attracts menchildren.:palmon:

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Randaconda posted:

Minecraft is nearly 10 years old. A lot of those children are now manchildren.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWMpnxMLZ_E

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Randaconda posted:

I didn't bring being level one obese, I just said I was pretty fat but could still fit on rides and poo poo.

Yes, but what did that have to do with anything? Obviously, slightly obese people can fit on amusement park rides, as anyone who's been to an amusement park has observed. I'm in the "overweight" BMI and I fit on rides, too. High fives for not being super morbidly obese, I guess.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Found a different article that added a new detail that the original omitted: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/19/technology/uber-driverless-fatality.html

Out of curiosity, do these autonomous cars have any way of detecting crosswalks and slowing or stopping? I couldn't find anything on it but I'd assume so if they can stop at stop lights and signs, it'd be stupid not to have a feature like that. Almost sounds like the woman who got hit just said "gently caress it" and decided to jaywalk without looking.

Jaywalking should be punishable by getting a ticket, not by death. I don't feel like this is a radical point of view.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Randaconda posted:

Nothing saying their age and they targeting schools. I'm guessing these are real children

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

AlbieQuirky posted:

Jaywalking should be punishable by getting a ticket, not by death. I don't feel like this is a radical point of view.

It is, pedestrians and bikers should be able to go anywhere they want and the people in 2000lb metal machines should be responsible for whatever happens.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AlbieQuirky posted:

The entire reason for punishing it at all is that it's really dangerous.

The death isn't a punishment, merely a consequence.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Bloop posted:

The entire reason for punishing it at all is that it's really dangerous.

The death isn't a punishment, merely a consequence.

Lol no.

It’s punished because the owners of new fangled automobiles wished to hurtle through town as fast as they pleased and were disgusted that they had to wait for poors to make way.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Lol no.

It’s punished because the owners of new fangled automobiles wished to hurtle through town as fast as they pleased and were disgusted that they had to wait for poors to make way.

One of the best episodes of The Dollop is their When The Cars Came. The part about how the word "jaywalking" was invented by a car manufacturers' lobbying group, and how the group lobbied municipalities to introduce it as a ticketable offense, was :allears:

Seriously, jaywalking in a driver-operated car scenario rarely results in death. If it's going to always result in death in an automated-car scenario, that's not okay.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

Jaywalking shouldn't be punishable, its a dumb loving law and confuses me everytime I hear about it.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Aramoro posted:

Jaywalking shouldn't be punishable, its a dumb loving law and confuses me everytime I hear about it.

It should be, for multiple reasons, safety being one. Another being "so you think you're so important that you can impede the flow of traffic and inconvenience other people because you don't want to walk to the end of the block and cross at the designated location?"

quote:

If it's going to always result in death in an automated-car scenario, that's not okay.

once =/= always

repeating has a new favorite as of 21:26 on Mar 20, 2018

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Lol no.

OK, but it's not 1915 anymore. In places with crosswalks especially, use them. There are plenty of places with very strong protections for pedestrians in crosswalks and everywhere should have them.

I'd prefer some great public transit and pedestrian infrastructure but in the world that exists now, jaywalking is dangerous

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I mean, they were jaywalking at night. I'm not sure how easy it would have been for a driver to see them depending on the area? I mean the backup driver certainly didn't

AlbieQuirky posted:

If it's going to always result in death in an automated-car scenario, that's not okay.

I don't think that is very likely once they figure out why it happened. Do you expect driverless cars to plow through other vehicles if theres a back-up somewhere at night?

Xun has a new favorite as of 21:42 on Mar 20, 2018

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

repeating posted:

"so you think you're so important that you can impede the flow of traffic and inconvenience other people because you don't want to walk to the end of the block and cross at the designated location?

Yes??

On the safety note Road Deaths in the UK is 2.9 per 100,000 compared to the US with 10.6 so how's that additional safety working out for you?

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Aramoro posted:

Yes??

On the safety note Road Deaths in the UK is 2.9 per 100,000 compared to the US with 10.6 so how's that additional safety working out for you?

Selfishness noted. Also that figure is for all traffic-related deaths so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Update on "killer Uber car":

quote:

Tempe police say the inspection of the footage shows the woman abruptly “came from the shadows right into the roadway” in a manner that makes it “very clear” a collision was difficult to avoid, regardless of whether the vehicle that ended up hitting the victim had a human driver or not.
https://www.androidheadlines.com/2018/03/self-driving-uber-not-at-fault-for-fatal-tempe-crash-report.html

repeating has a new favorite as of 22:50 on Mar 20, 2018

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

That's how I assumed it would turn out seeing as the car did also have a driver behind the wheel specifically in case something happened. I think the higher auto fatality rate is due to how much more necessary driving in this country.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/976236962372837378

quote:

"My tip for winning, even though I've never won a game, is I just camp the entire time. I don't recommend it, because I've never won, so don't take my tip."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Samuringa posted:

quote:

"My tip for winning, even though I've never won a game, is I just camp the entire time. I don't recommend it, because I've never won, so don't take my tip."

Justin has a future in science.

His experiment had a negative result and yet he still got it printed in major journal.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Sounds like an unavoidable accident in this case. Sad.

Doesn't lessen my :argh: at the "Well, she was jaywalking!" just-world-fallacians out there.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

AlbieQuirky posted:

Sounds like an unavoidable accident in this case. Sad.

Doesn't lessen my :argh: at the "Well, she was jaywalking!" just-world-fallacians out there.

quote:

The woman may have been returning from a store, having been pushing a bicycle carrying numerous plastic shopping bags outside of a crosswalk when she walked out in front of the self-driving Volvo XC90 which made no attempts to break, the police chief said, adding that local authorities suspect the victim has been homeless.

:thunk:

Just some local hobo, no need to be alarmed, nothing to see here. Footage? Not necessary.

Now excuse me I need to go buy a new jacuzzi for no particular reason.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Dewgy posted:

:thunk:

Just some local hobo, no need to be alarmed, nothing to see here. Footage? Not necessary.

Now excuse me I need to go buy a new jacuzzi for no particular reason.

I like how the article just casually drops the facts that the car was speeding and "made no attempt to break"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Oh no 38 mph in a 35 mph zone, how shocking.

Seriously though it's tragic that she was killed but it sounds like she probably would have been equally as likely to get hit if a human was driving.