Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

wolrah posted:

I went to his meetup in Cleveland when he was driving the Aston across the country, he is seriously exactly the same person in reality as you'd expect from his videos. He was legitimately interested in every weird quirk of the cars that showed up, the weirder the better. The Ferrari 430 didn't really even get a second glance except when the driver backed it in to a handicap sign, but the V10 TDI Touareg ended up with a swarm of car nerds checking it out from every angle.

Did he attack his face with a vacuum cleaner, or lick the TDI's windows or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Not automotive, but pretty cool nonetheless:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt00QzKuNVY

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

I can't stop watching and laughing at that dude's "aww yeah" :mmmsmug:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Nuevo posted:

I can't stop watching and laughing at that dude's "aww yeah" :mmmsmug:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Deteriorata posted:

For me, it happens so fast that the white face of it still appears sorta pink for a few frames until my brain realizes what it's looking at has changed.

Sorry to anyone who used to be a professional rubik's cube solver, because now you are unemployed.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Seat Safety Switch posted:

For me, it happens so fast that the white face of it still appears sorta pink for a few frames until my brain realizes what it's looking at has changed.

Sorry to anyone who used to be a professional rubik's cube solver, because now you are unemployed.

Maybe they're cheap enough that I can get one for myself and don't have to send my cubes anywhere for someone else to solve

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Can't recall if this has been posted here already but yeah the title pretty much sums it up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9xAVanIGdM

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Who wants to watch 1970's 911's rip through Africa?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3_yBf4N6IE

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

True Rally Fans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuhWVxLtfWQ

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
That's awesome. Polish rally fans are pretty mental. Look how close they get to flying cars. I think the Poland WRC round was pulled from the callender because of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxEtmmte33M

Also, Motor Trend announced that all future content will be on their own platform, and not on Youtube. In case you where wondering where roadkill went.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Unfortunate because my TV doesn't have their app.

Finnegan mentioned that they have a lot of fans that got into it because their kids saw the show on YouTube and dragged their parents into it. That whole demographic is going to go away.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Jay Leno has a new video of the Light Company Car Rocket: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw43m0TVsZE

I've never seen it before but it's pretty drat amazing. Weights like 350kg with a 150hp Yamaha engine and looks like an old F1 car :allears:

Humbug posted:

Also, Motor Trend announced that all future content will be on their own platform, and not on Youtube. In case you where wondering where roadkill went.
Ugh-huh well good luck with that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Looks like they're still going to have episodes available for free after a timed paid exclusivity, but yeah, this is not going to help them grow.

Of course I guess we shouldn't be surprised - the overall demand for their video content has got to be high enough that the company wants to act a bit more like a traditional TV channel, especially with the tie ins with Velocity.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
They put it up for free 8 weeks after showing it on "premium" subscription, just as it was with Youtube and MOTD. I'm noticing that using adblockers is a lot harder on their site than it is on Youtube. I can see how putting it up for free wasn't economically feasible with the reduced Youtube revenue. Had it been a gaming channel with no production costs and daily videos it would be another matter.

Here is the new roadkill free to view BTW if you missed it like I did.
https://www.motortrendondemand.com/detail/project-car-showdown-at-dirtfish/0_cmu7943x/

I'm not usually the one to harp on how Roadkill is ruined, but there seemed to be a lot of feigned enthusiasm in this one.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm just not a fan of the overall splintering of content we're seeing. For a while you had Netflix for big budget stuff and YouTube for more niche content. Now everyone doesn't want to be the uploaders/content creators, they wanna be the hosting site, so everyone's splintering their content into their own MTOD/Disney Netflix equivalent/whatever.

the entire loving point of Netflix/youtube is that everything's in one place and you can more easily browse and find new poo poo. I'ma broke college student and I can't even afford Netflix at the moment, let alone $5/mo for Netflix, another 5 for youtube red or w/e, another 5 for mtod,another 5 for Disney, another five for universal etc etc... you're paying more for less convenience and it sucks.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Enourmo posted:

I'm just not a fan of the overall splintering of content we're seeing. For a while you had Netflix for big budget stuff and YouTube for more niche content. Now everyone doesn't want to be the uploaders/content creators, they wanna be the hosting site, so everyone's splintering their content into their own MTOD/Disney Netflix equivalent/whatever.

the entire loving point of Netflix/youtube is that everything's in one place and you can more easily browse and find new poo poo. I'ma broke college student and I can't even afford Netflix at the moment, let alone $5/mo for Netflix, another 5 for youtube red or w/e, another 5 for mtod,another 5 for Disney, another five for universal etc etc... you're paying more for less convenience and it sucks.

There are two things going on simultaneously. One is that content producers are realizing that Google is making most of the money off their stuff by monopolizing advertising, so they want to make more money by controlling that.

The other is that viewers are realizing that most content is just fluff they can live without and aren't willing to pay to get access to it.

The internet is going to be a very different place in 10 years as the advertising-driven model collapses.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Deteriorata posted:

There are two things going on simultaneously. One is that content producers are realizing that Google is making most of the money off their stuff by monopolizing advertising, so they want to make more money by controlling that.

The other is that viewers are realizing that most content is just fluff they can live without and aren't willing to pay to get access to it.

The internet is going to be a very different place in 10 years as the advertising-driven model collapses.

I get why it's happening, it just Sucks.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Amazon seems to be doing a good job positioning themselves as sort of a hub, with the ability to subscribe to services like HBO Go or MTOD through their systems and play all the content from a single interface.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I hate all these different loving platforms for viewing poo poo, it's getting stupid having a bunch of different subscriptions to watch certain things.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The alternative are cable packages. That's stupid. Pay only for what you want to watch is a far better model for the consumer.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

um excuse me posted:

The alternative are cable packages. That's stupid. Pay only for what you want to watch is a far better model for the consumer.

Thats the loving worst, I have 'package' options from my cable provider, I have the 8 package setup which is ridiculously expensive but it most of the packages I have just because I want 1 channel in it, the other 5-10 channels are never watched.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

wolrah posted:

Amazon seems to be doing a good job positioning themselves as sort of a hub, with the ability to subscribe to services like HBO Go or MTOD through their systems and play all the content from a single interface.

Does Amazon still block their video apps on Android?

Have they started selling the Apple TV and Chromecast?

Is Google still blocking YouTube from Fire devices?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Deteriorata posted:

The other thing going on is content creators seeking to source funding from places like Patreon.

Frankly Roadkill should have gone down that road. Motortrend OnDemand has real problems being played everywhere too so it can never have the audience potential of Youtube and you cant tell me that thousands of fans wouldn't have paid enough so that advertising didn't matter - you got smaller channels making more than a decent amount from Patreon style funding AND it costs a shitload less than recreating all the infrastructure than creating your own platform.

Motortrend really hosed up on this one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I suspect the corporate overhead of MotorTrend makes a Patreon-type thing infeasible. I've mentally considered my MTOD subscription to be in the same ballpark as a Patreon since half the time I end up binge-watching them on Youtube anyway.

The upshot is that Youtube hasn't suddenly ceased to exist. Finnegan has full-length-ish shows on his channel, Lucky does short ones... hell, Freiburger just did a review of the tires on his TJ.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
The Enthusiast Network, which I guess owned Motor Trend, was bought by Discovery something or other. People who probably don't even watch car shows are calling the shots.

The downside of Patreon is that someone else is still dictating your revenue. I remember a flurry of emails from earlier this year about fee changes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
MTOD definitely seems to have a lot of technical teething issues that tell me they aren't taking it seriously enough. Broken video players, non-loading thumbnails, dead links, bad navigation, client-side JS errors breaking other parts of the page... you can't really fart out a spec to an outsourcer and have them put together something Netflix-grade. If you need new features or to support a new platform, now you need to make big technical decisions about supporting it.

It's not like starting a new spin-off cable channel (which Hot Rod has failed at before); that's YouTube. It's more like building the TVs and the whole distribution network, and it's only going to get more expensive as the US starts to choke video traffic unless you pay ransoms to ISPs and backbone providers.

It has to be like your primary product: you're not getting nothing out of YouTube in this department, and I think a lot of former cable-TV MBAs are going to realize this over the next couple of years when "let's make our own Netflix on a shoestring budget" turns out to be more expensive staff-wise even after the assumed cost savings from TEN/Discovery-style consolidation. By then, though, the daily-active-user and new-subscription quarterly bonuses will be spent and they'll be on to the next teat.

Is YouTube getting selfish? Yeah, absolutely. Is this going to do a measurable amount to offset their increased overhead so they can compete on less money/views? I don't think so, but they obviously do. Maybe it's a Discovery long-bet to piss money down a hole until they find a strategy that will keep both MT and Discovery alive in the brave new world.

I can definitely see the business case they pitched to make this happen, and they likely didn't have a lot of choices: I can't see the next decade for it. TV is the next newspaper.

It's worth pointing out Roadkill magazine also folded last month (although I think that was a given: a premium $10USD mag supposedly about beater life that features fluff luxury car reviews on high-quality paper felt like a brand mismatch made in Hell). The real Roadkill magazine would be giving Murilee Martin amphetamines and having a college student transcribe the resulting tapes into photocopied 'zine format.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 20, 2018

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
As much as I think leaving YouTube was a bad call for attracting new viewers, leaving that platform wasn't the worst idea. Deciding to stick with their godawful website is by far going to hurt them more.

Even though I would binge watch the shows on YouTube in the past while on night shift, I'm probably going to screen record one playthrough and edit out the video hangs into something to watch long term. They need to work on their site if they don't want to kill the programming off.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I suspect the corporate overhead of MotorTrend makes a Patreon-type thing infeasible. I've mentally considered my MTOD subscription to be in the same ballpark as a Patreon since half the time I end up binge-watching them on Youtube anyway.

The upshot is that Youtube hasn't suddenly ceased to exist. Finnegan has full-length-ish shows on his channel, Lucky does short ones... hell, Freiburger just did a review of the tires on his TJ.

I find Finnegan's podcast style shows insufferable and stopped watching his other stuff when he started doing full length adverts for expensive single-use tools that not 1 in 1000 people actually need in their garage.

Without paying for MTOD I don't actually know what I'll get so I can't gauge whether it's worth paying the same as I pay for Netflix, which the whole family get some benefit from.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Finnegan needs to invest in a decent mic setup and for that reason I can't watch his poo poo because I have to keep changing the volume level when someone's talking a mile away from the camera and then it cuts to someone using a loving airgun or something obscenely loud.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Uthor posted:

Is Google still blocking YouTube from Fire devices?

They block the 'app'. You can still watch YouTube from a Fire device, you just have to do it using Firefox.

Too bad about Motortrend, as while I enjoyed watching Roadkill, I wouldn't pay for it and I'll never go to the Motortrend site to watch it. They don't care about people like me though, since I wouldn't be giving them any money either way (other than that fractional YT advertising revenue).

Just Chompin'
Apr 17, 2004

1% Pure

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Finnegan needs to invest in a decent mic setup and for that reason I can't watch his poo poo because I have to keep changing the volume level when someone's talking a mile away from the camera and then it cuts to someone using a loving airgun or something obscenely loud.

I emailed him about mixing his show, since I'm an audio engineer. He never got back to me. I gotta keep trying. Bugs the poo poo outta me too.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

There's a guy I watch for woodworking, he's not a smooth talker, quite the opposite in fact but he takes the time to edit the sound and re-record voiceovers so there are no glaring level changes or endless strings of ums and ahs, it's amazing what a difference that makes to the viewing experience. Then you watch the next "professionally produced" video and the sound is all over the place and there's loads of dead air while they're trying to think what to say, but they won't take the time to edit it out.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I'll be the first to admit that maths isn't my strong suit, but something about MTOD's pricing doesn't add up...

:raise:

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I can't actually get past the MTOD subscribe page. I have an old unsubbed account and it logged in but it stays on the subscribe page whether I go to the link for the new episode or straight MTOD.com Think I'll just let all their shows drift off into the long night.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I get the same problem. I just hit a subscribe paywall whenever I go to any motortrend website.

Humbug posted:

They put it up for free 8 weeks after showing it on "premium" subscription, just as it was with Youtube and MOTD. I'm noticing that using adblockers is a lot harder on their site than it is on Youtube. I can see how putting it up for free wasn't economically feasible with the reduced Youtube revenue. Had it been a gaming channel with no production costs and daily videos it would be another matter.

Here is the new roadkill free to view BTW if you missed it like I did.
https://www.motortrendondemand.com/detail/project-car-showdown-at-dirtfish/0_cmu7943x/

I'm not usually the one to harp on how Roadkill is ruined, but there seemed to be a lot of feigned enthusiasm in this one.

Is that what happened? They're pretty dead to me now because it's now months between any release and their quality is going down on the main show anyway. They're always complaining too little time, and one of the reasons for that was the time spent on the exclusive shows; the main show suffered so much I lost interest.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 21, 2018

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I cancelled my subscription. There's so much other stuff I'd rather watch now.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
MCM posted about the Roadkill thing.

https://mightycarmods.com/blogs/news/who-is-going-to-pay-for-it

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Kind of bugs me they bought an RS and are now talking about how someone has to foot the bill. I was much happier when they were working on trash cars and not spending $50k on them.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

um excuse me posted:

Kind of bugs me they bought an RS and are now talking about how someone has to foot the bill. I was much happier when they were working on trash cars and not spending $50k on them.

Why should it bug you that they want to be able to afford to have nice things? They don't make much from MCM and they pour a shitload of time and their own resources into it. They dont want to be a vlog anymore like they used to be, wouldn't that be a touch boring to viewers after 10 years?

Plus the Mira and the motorbikes, how are they not trash cars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

MTOD shows being exclusive to their website doesn't really seem like that big of a deal. It sucks, but we're stuck in a downward spiral of ad supported video at the moment.

I've been paying $3 for one month of MTOD every couple of months to catch up on Roadkill Garage. I'll just do the same thing and catch up on everything else I care about (which is really just Roadkill and Hot Rod Garage, I guess)