Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

I, Butthole posted:

it's a movie, it's all fake

The first scene is open heart surgery. I mean I don't know what I expected clicking on the movie. Maybe some initial hokey 70's/80's graphics and overly foreboding dramatic warnings about content and then I'd exit out. I never planned to watch it and didn't expect them to just go right into the gore. I should have known better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jedit posted:

Case in point: the shower scene in Psycho. You see the knife; you see Janet Leigh; you see the blood. But you never see Leigh being stabbed. However, if you show that scene to a hundred people who haven't seen it before probably half of them will say they did - and oddly, as many as 20 will remember seeing the blood as red when the movie is in black and white.

A lot of people think this shot shows the knife actually hitting her torso:

... but apparently Hitchcock filmed the shot in reverse so originally it was a shot of the knife being pressed against her skin and then taken away. :v:

The scene apparently had 78 camera set ups and 52 cuts. It took an entire week to get it in the can which was a full third of the film's shooting schedule.

This guy made an entire documentary about that specific scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FD3fVXaoag

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Well, you can't say all that effort didn't pay off.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

All that effort to not stab her. Disgraceful

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

oldpainless posted:

More like oldpainless.

Wait...

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

oldpainless posted:

We all know a true director like Tarantino would understand the importance of the actress actually being stabbed, provided that he got to do it himself.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
The thing about remakes (and how crap they are most of the time) is how much they make you appreciate the original in the subtle ways they do things.

I'm sure the Psycho remake has been dissected to death, so here's one I noticed in Terminator Genysis.

When the terminator first appears in LA and he approached the observatory deck and gazes out over the city before him in the original film the shot starts high and then lowers as Arnie approaches the railing. Now, I don't know if this was intentional, but it gives the impression that the Terminator is looming over the city, he's a dominant force that they're just not ready for.

In Genysis they "technically" copy the shot, but also like in the Psycho remake they don't quite block it right and don't do that swoop. So while you have the Terminator approaching the railing and looking out over the city... it's just that. It's just. You get no sense of foreboding and dominance there.

Genysis had so many moments like that. They just never quite "got" what made the first films so good.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Drunken Baker posted:

Genysis had so many moments like that. They just never quite "got" what made the first films so good.

For starters, they didn't have Jai Courtney

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

For starters, they didn't have Jai Courtney

Jai Courtney has a black hole where his charisma should be.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is he the latest "Australian with no acting talent" that Hollywood gets every eight years? Sam Worthington sucks, Chris Hemsworth was a fluke.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Inzombiac posted:

Jai Courtney has a black hole where his charisma should be.

He was awesome in Spartacus. I have to give him that.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Krispy Wafer posted:

The first scene is open heart surgery. I mean I don't know what I expected clicking on the movie. Maybe some initial hokey 70's/80's graphics and overly foreboding dramatic warnings about content and then I'd exit out. I never planned to watch it and didn't expect them to just go right into the gore. I should have known better.

Yeah I'm a loving idiot, skimmed the post and thought you were talking about TCM. Faces of Death definitely has some real footage in it. My bad.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

AFewBricksShy posted:

He was awesome in Spartacus. I have to give him that.

Jai Courtney was surprisingly good in an Australian movie called Felony. I mean he just plays a generic Australian dick head detective so its not like he was really reaching, but its still head and shoulders above everything else he has ever done.

except maybe captain boomerang.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Watched The Witch the other day and it is a pretty good film, I recommend it.

There’s a couple of shots in it which I really liked: in one scene Thomasin is shovelling hay but using a shovel instead of a pitchfork, and then later on when the father is hammering something he’s using the back of the axe rather than a hammer. Reinforces the theme that they are struggling to survive.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Annihilation is a pretty divisive movie that didn't even get to cinemas here in the UK. It did well with critics but nobody went to see it. It's based on the Southern Reach Trilogy books, a yarn about an alien entity that finds it way on earth and begins to warp the life of everything in a radius around it. It's part Roadside Picnic, part STALKER, part that bit in Condemned 2 where a bear chases you around a house.

Spoilers ahead,
The film hits you over the head with a few of its points, but a lot of it is left in the open with little explanation. One part I liked was the fungus that grew on the walls. Not the fella in the pool, though that was fantastic, just on the walls. Like outside the mess hall and later on, on the side of the lighthouse.

The patterns it formed looked vaguely like a map of the globe, though slightly warped. I could make out the continents, but it looked like those maps of what the Earth looked like millions of years ago, y'know, the land masses weren't as formed as they are now. But the closer they get to the source of the alien presence the more concise and accurate the map becomes.

Now, in the book the fungus on the walls takes the shape of writing. Like the alien is trying to understand human language and trying to communicate, maybe? (It's been a while and the book is real peculiar anyway) so it seems to me like the maps are the alien "feeling out" the planet, maybe? Despite being localised (apparently) it still has a understand of the planet it's on.

OR I just saw patterns and read into it like we all do. Either way...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I didn't care for the movie that much, but holy poo poo those people flowers freaked me the gently caress out.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Annhilation does a really good job of being creepy & unsettling, keeping in tune with its theme of change. That bear scene will haunt me for a long time...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHc-O9MBGnw

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

This is probably obvious but I only saw it last night and realised today, the opening narration in Black Panther is Erik and his dad not T'Challa and T'Chaka

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

This is probably obvious but I only saw it last night and realised today, the opening narration in Black Panther is Erik and his dad not T'Challa and T'Chaka

Somebody here posted that previously and it blew my mind. Then I went and told a bunch of people and they all were like "yeah, duh?" and it made me feel really stupid.

I hope you enjoyed my story.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

rydiafan posted:

Somebody here posted that previously and it blew my mind. Then I went and told a bunch of people and they all were like "yeah, duh?" and it made me feel really stupid.

It only clicked for me most of the way through the movie. Like an actual "oh, it was those two" moment. And it actually made a lot of sense and added to Erik's motivation.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

rydiafan posted:

I think that was me and I only noticed on a second viewing.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Avenging_Mikon posted:

It only clicked for me most of the way through the movie. Like an actual "oh, it was those two" moment. And it actually made a lot of sense and added to Erik's motivation.

I saw the movie two days ago and I don't even remember there being an opening narration.

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 20:57 on Mar 20, 2018

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
It was accompanied with a pretty cool animation made of the tactile sand displays the Wakandan's use.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Not Operator posted:

It was accompanied with a pretty cool animation made of the tactile sand displays the Wakandan's use.

Oh. Oh. I remember now. The history of the tribes coming together and all that.

Cool about the narrator. I'm not sure who I thought it was because my memories don't work right.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
So, you all are saying all black people sound the same?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Android Apocalypse posted:

Annhilation does a really good job of being creepy & unsettling, keeping in tune with its theme of change. That bear scene will haunt me for a long time...

:stare: fuckin hell that's creepy, I love it.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

More Annhilation stuff!

One subtle thing that I really like about the bear scene: it's obvious (and horrifying) that the bear's roar sounds like a human screaming for help, but I haven't heard anyone talking about the fact that there is a half of a human skull fused to the left side of the bear's head. And it happens to overlap the bear skull's eye socket. And that happens to be the only eye in the bear's exposed skull. Which raises the question, how much of Sheppard is in that bear? It's clearly not just her voice. Is her mind trapped in there somewhere too?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Ferrule posted:

Dude you have no idea how bad I am with voices, faces, everything. I take "goon face blindness" to the next level.
Good forbid I get asked to take notes on a conference call.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Annihilation had some of the best unsettling, scary imagery I've seen in a long time. Especially towards the end.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ferrule posted:

Whatchu talkin bout, Willis?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Aleph Null posted:

Oh. Oh. I remember now. The history of the tribes coming together and all that.

Cool about the narrator. I'm not sure who I thought it was because my memories don't work right.

I didn't make the link that it was the two characters from the movie talking at the start, I thought it was just random Wakandan father-and-son talking about their history.

One thing I liked about Black Panther was that Killmonger's dad told him the sunsets were beautiful in Wakanda, and then when he dies at the end he sees the sunset before he goes. Fairly trite, nothing subtle about that. But there was a line earlier in the movie, just after Killmonger had assumed the throne, when he said that "The sun will never set on the Wakandan Empire". A callback to the most prolific colonisers of history, the British Empire, and prior to that the Spanish Empire, but also a foreshadowing to when the sun would set on him.

Memento has a new favorite as of 02:35 on Mar 21, 2018

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Annihilation seems like exactly the kind of movie I'd love and yet could never stomach. I love every part of what I've heard here, except for the fact that if I saw it I'd never be able to go to sleep again in my life.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I still recommend watching Annhilation, in the theatre if you can. The visuals are pretty great & I think they're worth seeing on the big screen.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

I still recommend watching Annhilation, in the theatre if you can. The visuals are pretty great & I think they're worth seeing on the big screen.

the theatre audio is incredible as well for this particular film

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

scary ghost dog posted:

the theatre audio is incredible as well for this particular film

All I remember is it being really loving loud and going :wom: for like the last 30 minutes

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

A message to anyone and everyone: take all the drugs you can find and see Annihilation on the largest screen possible.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah, I got high as a kite and watched it at a last-of-the-night showing after reading the books weeks before and holy gently caress

HHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP

MMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Patattack posted:

More Annhilation stuff!

One subtle thing that I really like about the bear scene: it's obvious (and horrifying) that the bear's roar sounds like a human screaming for help, but I haven't heard anyone talking about the fact that there is a half of a human skull fused to the left side of the bear's head. And it happens to overlap the bear skull's eye socket. And that happens to be the only eye in the bear's exposed skull. Which raises the question, how much of Sheppard is in that bear? It's clearly not just her voice. Is her mind trapped in there somewhere too?

(Annihilation) Not sure about the skull, but both Sheppard (& later Thorenson) had her throat torn out so I figured it was taking the vocal cords of its kills somehow.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Can't do that. Its only out on Netflix around here :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

(Annihilation) Not sure about the skull, but both Sheppard (& later Thorenson) had her throat torn out so I figured it was taking the vocal cords of its kills somehow.

nah the alien’s effect is that dna is spontaneously replicated and mixed all over the place, like cancer cells. the bear duplicated parts of her