Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Parkingtigers posted:

one of the things I find most daunting about this series is the sheer amount of options when starting a new game. World type, map size, difficulty levels, Jesus there are just so many variables.

You can't really go much wrong with standard continents, but I'd recommend quick pace because - if it's like Civ 5 - it's not just faster but reduces the effectiveness of military (which humans are naturally superior to AI at rising)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone else feel that Poland should have a great work called “The Witcher?” I do.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

You can't really go much wrong with standard continents, but I'd recommend quick pace because - if it's like Civ 5 - it's not just faster but reduces the effectiveness of military (which humans are naturally superior to AI at rising)

That's a thing that I've been thinking about, on the opposite side. One of the games I'm having the most fun with militarily right now is actually on standard speed, because of the pacing change as it relates to the ages. Somehow it just feels better to have more happen per age. However, that game is also taking forever (not helped by there being two guys in it who frequently have turns that take over twelve hours to get in, admittedly), because standard is not a great MP speed, at least for hotseat/PBEM stuff. It's fun, but not at all convenient unless you have some players who are dedicated and able to get their turns in quick regularly.

Meanwhile, single player games are where the slower speeds are easy to do, because it's just you doing them so you're free to go at whatever pace you want. But, like you say, it exacerbates the advantage you have over the AI and makes what's already not the most challenging game even easier. The way it's most fun to play certain speeds and the way it's most convenient don't match, unfortunately.

Also, for map types, fractal can be pretty fun too. As well as some other weird type I can't recall now and won't check for because I have too much running to open VI without making something crash. It was recommended here at some point as a fractal alternative, though.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 19, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My favorite vanilla mapgen was one of the island ones in Civ V, I think Small Islands, where if you set the water level to Low, it'd generate two or three continents broken up by narrow land bridges and relatively narrow spans of ocean. I haven't found an equivalent in VI yet, but the VI map generator is at least much better at creating nice mountain ranges.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

My favorite vanilla mapgen was one of the island ones in Civ V, I think Small Islands, where if you set the water level to Low, it'd generate two or three continents broken up by narrow land bridges and relatively narrow spans of ocean. I haven't found an equivalent in VI yet, but the VI map generator is at least much better at creating nice mountain ranges.

I almost always choose "Island Plates" in Civ VI since it presents more "snakey" continents with interesting issues for city placement and invasion.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

chaosapiant posted:

Anyone else feel that Poland should have a great work called “The Witcher?” I do.

Only if Japan can have anime.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

If it means Sean Bean will be reading bad quotes from it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

GrandpaPants posted:

Good idea! Japan’s UU is a teenage girl who can use Personas/Pokémon.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Poil posted:

"All according to keikaku."

(pronounced key-eye-kack-you)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Poil posted:

"Anime was a mistake." - Hayao Miyazaki

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Anime should be a cultural tech :colbert:

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
They already have Hanzo steeru and Nintendo factories. What more do you goons want? :psyduck:

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Roland Jones posted:

I saved a backup of the turn, so I'll post some later.

This game is a good example of why you don't ignore religion though; among other factors in my victory, of the three other people who founded religions, two seem to have only built a single holy site each, and the fourth got killed early by a neighbor. When I actually pushed for a religious victory (which I wasn't actively going for until I noticed I already had converted 3/5 other civs), neither of the people with religions had the power to stop me. One I was admittedly in the middle of destroying militarily, but the other one I managed to convert in a matter of turns after sneaking some apostles, two with Proselytizer, nearby.

Even if you don't want a religious victory, going for a religion and keeping it reasonably strong is worth it, just so the above doesn't happen. Also, some beliefs are really, really good. Choral Music was really helpful to me that game; I outright ignored theater squares until my cities were so big I ran out of other districts to put in them (which was shortly before the game ended) because holy sites with that belief let me have good faith and culture output. It's excellent for anyone who isn't going for a tourism victory, particularly people who want to spam holy sites obviously but not bad even for those who don't.

(I say all this, but in another game I'm in only one person has founded a religion, and I don't think the rest of us even have any GPP yet, despite being 109 turns in. We should probably fix that before we give them the easiest victory ever.)

Speaking of which, I just now won my first PYDT game with a religious victory! Much more satisfying than a win against AI.

Originally I just wanted to avoid other people converting me and maybe get some cool bonuses, but once I converted a neighbor's holy city, I just went for broke. Thought I'd need a lot more Apostles and to convert the last rival holy city, but nope. Just hit critical mass converting other cities and Bob's your uncle (and Zarathustra your god).

Though I think I screwed up submitting it since it looks like the game is just going to the next player like normal.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

"All according to keikaku."

(pronounced key-eye-kack-you)
That looks suspiciously too correct for a Civ6 quote.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ibntumart posted:

Speaking of which, I just now won my first PYDT game with a religious victory! Much more satisfying than a win against AI.

Originally I just wanted to avoid other people converting me and maybe get some cool bonuses, but once I converted a neighbor's holy city, I just went for broke. Thought I'd need a lot more Apostles and to convert the last rival holy city, but nope. Just hit critical mass converting other cities and Bob's your uncle (and Zarathustra your god).

Though I think I screwed up submitting it since it looks like the game is just going to the next player like normal.

Nope, that's what happens. Going into "one more turn" means it keeps going, and PYDT doesn't know how to recognize that a game's over and/or doesn't want to assume you're stopping just because someone won, so it'll keep passing things around as long as people keep playing. I think people either all drop from the game at that point, or contact the admin, if they want to stop.

Also, congrats. And yeah, if people don't adequately defend themselves, you can convert things fast. Particularly if you get apostles with Proselytizer and Translator working on it; those can really, really swing things.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Realistically, how many dudes should I bring to take down a Classical era city-state that's balls deep in jungle? I don't take city-states often so I don't have a good sense for how much junk to bring.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

What kind of general are you, asking on a forum like that.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
How many people are playing on Quick? As soon as there was an R&F version I downloaded Historic Speed. That way you have enough time to basically do everything you want, especially concerning military stuff. When I bought the expansion I had been using mods that extended everything, so going back to Standard felt like before I knew it I had shot through to the Industrial Era without getting much done.

On Historic you can reallllyyyyyy feel the technology advancing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Anime should be a cultural tech :colbert:

Replace Social Media with Anime

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Ulvino posted:

They already have Hanzo steeru and Nintendo factories. What more do you goons want? :psyduck:
No pantsu!? :confused: Why posted!?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Captain Oblivious posted:

Realistically, how many dudes should I bring to take down a Classical era city-state that's balls deep in jungle? I don't take city-states often so I don't have a good sense for how much junk to bring.

If they don't have walls yet, 4 archers and 1 melee unit should be plenty. You could probably even get away with 3 archers, but better safe than sorry.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

Roland Jones posted:

Nope, that's what happens. Going into "one more turn" means it keeps going, and PYDT doesn't know how to recognize that a game's over and/or doesn't want to assume you're stopping just because someone won, so it'll keep passing things around as long as people keep playing. I think people either all drop from the game at that point, or contact the admin, if they want to stop.

Also, congrats. And yeah, if people don't adequately defend themselves, you can convert things fast. Particularly if you get apostles with Proselytizer and Translator working on it; those can really, really swing things.

Really? I just asked this in game. I'm quitting then, well done Roland. You steamrolled the hell out of us.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

What kind of general are you, asking on a forum like that.

On the other hand, a forum is a pretty reasonable place for a Classical question.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Ghost Stromboli posted:

How many people are playing on Quick?

I never play on anything slower than quick. The games just take foreeeeeever otherwise.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tofu Injection posted:

Really? I just asked this in game. I'm quitting then, well done Roland. You steamrolled the hell out of us.

Oh yeah, I posted in the PYDT game comments too, but people never look there (myself included). And thanks; if/when I post those screenshots markus requested, I'll try to summarize why I think the game went the way it did.

markus_cz posted:

I never play on anything slower than quick. The games just take foreeeeeever otherwise.

Yeah, like I was saying earlier, while I like the in-game pacing of Standard, it's just so slow in MP. Unless you have players who are really good at keeping up the pace, it'll take forever. If you have people like the ones in the one Standard game I'm in, it'll really take forever. Though fortunately the two eight-to-twenty-plus-hours-per-turn players share a continent with me, I'm Persia and already getting a good lead, and they seem to be awful*, so hopefully I'll solve this problem soon and things will speed up.

*Normally I wouldn't say something like this since often people just need to learn some things and I don't like to judge or disparage people, but these two are really, really bad. The Aztec player here in particular; given how long they had only one city, no great person person points accruing, no resources (nor, for a while, gold per turn) to trade, and a military score approaching three hundred, they seem to have spent at least fifty turns building nothing but military units. But they also didn't go to war with anyone, not even a city-state (and there were at least two in close range), given the lack of improved tiles in their cap implying a lack of stolen builders. Loading up the last file of the game I backed up, at turn 83 their capital is at 5 pop (they're only just now starting to build a granary and, again, no improvements, so the housing is really low), have a campus and have an in-progress commercial hub, and finally conquered the city-state that's less than ten tiles from their capital. If it weren't for the fact that they're a continent away and have two people between me and them (well, one now), I'd have already declared war on them, rushed their cap, and tried to blitz them down without even fighting their units, since despite having a big army they weren't attacking people with they also weren't defending their capital, from what I saw while scouting it. (No, I have no idea where said army was, given it being used for neither defense nor offense for a double-digit number of turns.) This isn't just bad, this is outright baffling. The AI plays significantly better than they do. I'm wondering if this is, like, someone's kid or something. I'm curious what state they'll be in when I finally carve my way to them. It's just... Wow.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Roland Jones posted:

The AI plays significantly better than they do.
The harshest of burns.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Does anyone else think it's weird that you can always tell the loyalty of other cities that aren't in your empire? I've got cities around me falling in loyalty left and right, and as soon as they become "free" I swoop in and snatch them, with NO penalty and the parent civ is still all smiles. I mean, I like this mechanic because I liked it in Civ 3 and 4, but I'm not sure if I think it should have more consequences attached. Rival civs don't even seem to get upset about you having an "influence" over their civ's culture; at least not that I've seen.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ghost Stromboli posted:

How many people are playing on Quick? As soon as there was an R&F version I downloaded Historic Speed. That way you have enough time to basically do everything you want, especially concerning military stuff. When I bought the expansion I had been using mods that extended everything, so going back to Standard felt like before I knew it I had shot through to the Industrial Era without getting much done.

I usually play on Epic, but that's single-player. For a multiplayer game you probably want Quick or Online speed. I'm okay with not playing to the victory screen though if I know I've gotten what I wanted out of the game and will eventually win at some point.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

They better add the Celts soon, the religion bonus pays dividends. Getting the british and french to follow my guinness soaked creed never gets old.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I've also decided that Civ V has the best game narrator/voice over. I like the novelty of Leonard Nimoy and Sean Bean, but the other dude's delivery sounded like an old sage who'd actually studied and chronicled the rise and fall of civilizations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Morgan Sheppard's delivery is hella solid, but at least part of the credit should go to the writing team. V felt like a labor of love in a way that VI just doesn't.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Morgan Sheppard's delivery is hella solid, but at least part of the credit should go to the writing team. V felt like a labor of love in a way that VI just doesn't.

I think I understand the nihilist take on Civ VI. If you were developing a game about world civilizations while Donald Trump was running for president and actually got the nomination of his party, you would probably do the same.

karmaconfetti
Dec 22, 2009

Wie vuur eet, schijt vonken.
Speaking of things, are we all still enjoying "Culture Science or Religion Victory" + "A Midsummer Goon's Game"?

I apologize for the slow turns, life got in the way there for a bit.

I feel that I lucked out in the CSRV one, due to having more room to expand, and in the Midsummer one I was kinda a shithead and took over the Computer player...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

After playing some more hotseat I kinda hate the loyalty mechanic. It turns wars into doing nothing or full conquest since you can't just take one city without it turning free barb in three turns. Once you take a city you get 50 loyalty in it so if it all drops in 3 turns you're losing way more than you could ever get from putting in a governor and garrison with the policies to boost loyalty. How the city just magically kicks away your units is bullshit. How it just magically spawns units from nowhere and keeps on doing it with swordsmen and horsemen without any source of iron or horses is also bullshit. How it automatically reverts back to the AI civ for free is bullshit. The simplest way is to burn it to the ground so you can advance to the next city and burn it too. That or just pushing forward and taking ALL their cities so they can't revolt crap everything. :argh:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Just do the guvnor shuffle.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Finally won a game on Immortal with the AI yield fix. I've resisted playing as China because it seemed boring and overpowered, and... yup. It's really boring and overpowered. Got my fastest win so far.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

chaosapiant posted:

I've also decided that Civ V has the best game narrator/voice over. I like the novelty of Leonard Nimoy and Sean Bean, but the other dude's delivery sounded like an old sage who'd actually studied and chronicled the rise and fall of civilizations.

This hot take is so incontestable it's actually cold hard cement.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Thought I'd give this another try now that the expansion is out.

Is the game just designed to start you out with a barbarian invasion now? It's happened the last three games. The second game the scout saw my capital on turn two and I got to spend the first 20+ turns doing nothing but fighting off the endless spawning barbarians 3 tiles away from my capital.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Straight White Shark posted:

Finally won a game on Immortal with the AI yield fix. I've resisted playing as China because it seemed boring and overpowered, and... yup. It's really boring and overpowered. Got my fastest win so far.

Do you just ignore the Great Wall? I always get dunked on when I try to play as China, because most of my city planning and builders are tied up in building a wall that perfectly encapsulates my empire.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Thought I'd give this another try now that the expansion is out.

Is the game just designed to start you out with a barbarian invasion now? It's happened the last three games. The second game the scout saw my capital on turn two and I got to spend the first 20+ turns doing nothing but fighting off the endless spawning barbarians 3 tiles away from my capital.

Yeah, pretty much. Getting three slingers online and upgraded to archers early on is a necessary part of your opening build, and barbarians will harass you until you've filled in your corner of the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's not even some obscure pro-strat, getting early slingers/archers. There is a tech boost right there, asking for 3 archers.