Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
haven't listened yet but i just binged fmab so noice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Sadly, MBMBAM also referenced Rock-a-Doodle so it's clearly time to end it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

having not revisited rock-a-doodle in the past ten or more years, i'll say rock-a-doodle is good

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

dogsicle posted:

having not revisited rock-a-doodle in the past ten or more years, i'll say rock-a-doodle is good

this but don't @ me if it doesn't hold up let me have this one thing drat it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Don Bluth has never made a good movie

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Waffleman_ posted:

you motherfucker

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Waffleman_ posted:

Yes he did, it's called Rock-a-Doodle.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
American Tail and Land Before Time are classics you savage

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Loving Dust so far, I really enjoyed the Banshee reveal. And yeah, the townspeople all making fun of Errol was excellent.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

One thing I’m a little confused about. They are suspicious of Liam becuase his diggers are covered in silver dust, and so were the body’s wounds. However, I could have sworn that the wounds were covered in silver and copper dust. Is my recollection faulty, or did the copper dust get written off as irrelevant for some reason?

I am pleasantly surprised by that rapport that has developed between Gandy and Agustus. Maybe she reminds him of his daughter.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I'm surprised no one mentioned how super suspicious it was that Liam's digger gloves had both been recently cleaned AND were covered in dust. My guess is that he killed the guy, then cleaned the blood off the gloves, then put silver dust on the gloves to hide the fact they had just been cleaned. Pretty sure that was a major clue they didn't pick up on.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'm surprised no one mentioned how super suspicious it was that Liam's digger gloves had both been recently cleaned AND were covered in dust. My guess is that he killed the guy, then cleaned the blood off the gloves, then put silver dust on the gloves to hide the fact they had just been cleaned. Pretty sure that was a major clue they didn't pick up on.

Yeah, I was thinking this as well, but I was also starting to get suspicious of Connor (the Sheriff?) since I think he's said the least about himself, and it doesn't feel like the Banshee would lie about something like that

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
the main trio in dust is my favorite so far, but as a tradeoff the npcs have all been pretty unmemorable except uncle oni and the banshee

actually I don't really remember a lot of the npcs from these mini arcs. the technopath girl and the king of the usa from commitment, mama and minerva from amnesty (beacon too but he's played by justin so that doesn't count)

Raserys fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 21, 2018

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

sexpig by night posted:

American Tail and Land Before Time are classics you savage

Neither of them hold up at all, but that doesn't mean they aren't culturally significant, and I will go to bat for Rock-a-Doodle even though it is, on the whole, total garbage.

The Secret of Nimh and that Scissor Sisters video are legitimately great.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Aside from Secret of Nimh (which I rewatched a few years ago), I have a much clearer memory of 90s Bluth (i.e. what I actually grew up with) than I do 80s Bluth (which was being buried by sequels by the time I was a thing). I need to see American Tail again, at least.

I think I finally figured out why Dust is just not doing it for me: a lot of it feels so much like the Magnus Drama Hours segments from later in Balance, only Travis is doing it here without the buildup those had that made them work.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Ariong posted:

One thing I’m a little confused about. They are suspicious of Liam becuase his diggers are covered in silver dust, and so were the body’s wounds. However, I could have sworn that the wounds were covered in silver and copper dust. Is my recollection faulty, or did the copper dust get written off as irrelevant for some reason?

I am pleasantly surprised by that rapport that has developed between Gandy and Agustus. Maybe she reminds him of his daughter.

It was supposed to be that it was metallic dust that could be copper or silver and they couldn't tell which without further investigation. Uncle Oni confirmed it was silver after Gandy spent a question on it.

Conners seems really off to me. Something was said in episode 1 about him being able to see truths, making him a good sheriff because he always acted on those truths. But he can't see the truth of this murder and is willing to prosecute Dillon for the 'good' of the town? Am I missing something or is that dude straight lying to get away with his own plan?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Thanks for clarifying. I think what Connors is trying to get across is that, when word spreads that Jeremiah has been killed, the townsfolk are going to want someone to hang for it, and currently Dylan is the main candidate. If he doesn’t have someone else to point to then his choices are to either hang Dylan, or to be run out of town on a rail so that the townsfolk can hang him themselves.

However, nobody they’ve met so far has really given off any bloodthirsty vibes. Maybe Connors did the murder, or is in cahoots with the person who did, and wants the main trio to find an even better scapegoat.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I mean I think at this point it's obvious Liam did the murder out of jealousy of Ann marrying a fang, but I think he had a push from 'ol Conners to seal the deal.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Luda!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Conners seems really off to me. Something was said in episode 1 about him being able to see truths, making him a good sheriff because he always acted on those truths. But he can't see the truth of this murder and is willing to prosecute Dillon for the 'good' of the town? Am I missing something or is that dude straight lying to get away with his own plan?

I haven't listened to episode 3 yet, but the explanation in episode 1 was more like he can tell if someone's lying, but he doesn't necessarily know what the truth is.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
Has Travis said who actually owns the mine? I know it’s “the Blackwell’s mine” but was it owned by Jeremiah or did he not specify beyond that?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

New TAZ is out. Final episode of Dust. That was quick!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Good episode. Good series.

RIP Clint. Finally acended after casting a good spell.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

the last episode felt rushed and the final confrontation anti-climactic, but dust is still the best of the mini-arcs

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Well that's that. Still very obviously inferior to amnesty, mostly because I don't think Travis can really put together a strong enough through line, but it did pick up a bit at the end, and it IS still better than the nothing that was commitment.

Curious about what Justin's arc will be.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, it was better than Amnesty in that it was a role playing game.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Dust is easily my favorite of the three arcs, and if they don't choose it I'll be a little disappointed.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, it did feel a lot less rail road-y, though if they go with Amnesty hopefully that's just because Griffin really needed to nail down a lot of plot.

I also like how Dust, unlike Amnesty, doesn't do the "main characters know a secret that they have to keep from everyone else" thing, that both Amnesty AND Balance did.

I think I liked the setting of Commitment the best, I really like superhero stories, though I wish Griffin's character was a little more interesting. I ended up liking Amnesty a lot more at the end, but it felt like it took a while to get there. Dust is also my favorite by far. The main characters are all great and the setting is cool as gently caress. I really like how different and non-combat-oriented it was, as well. Made it really interesting, even though I like a lot of the fights from Balance. Excited to see what they're announcing next week.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Yeah Commitment was alright but it suffered from being the first mini-arc and I didn't find the King of the USA all that compelling. Amnesty split up the party for waaaaaay too long and I just didn't find the plot/premise very interesting. Dust has some neat mechanics and just sorta came together better than the previous arcs. Can't wait to hear Justin's.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah this.

Amnesty had the better storyline, perhaps, but even Commitment was better than Amnesty in that it had actual roleplaying and not just the GM talking by himself for the better part of the whole arc with minimal to no input from the players.

With some tweaking and true life-or-death scenarios, Dust would be the best choice for next campaign for TAZ.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Justin tells his brothers to gently caress off in terms of his turn in the GM seat as he is currently playing "lets raise Baby #2"

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yes what a thrilling role playing game it was too, especially the part where they did nearly nothing interesting for 3 episodes straight and the 4th episode had an NPC finish off the boss.

There were some bright spots like Gandy gambling and everything Augustus did but mostly it was pretty dire.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 23, 2018

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Justin’s arc will be 4 Sherlock Holmes raising a baby who is also Sherlock Holmes.

I like the idea of Amnesty, but don’t like the execution. It felt like Griffin wanted to avoid the “start a game without much planning” that Balance had so much that he swung to the opposite end and started a planned story without much game.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Keeping the party seperated for more than one episode was a really really big mistake IMHO

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Yes what a thrilling role playing game it was too, especially the part where they did nearly nothing interesting for 3 episodes straight and the 4th episode had an NPC finish off the boss.

There were some bright spots like Gandy gambling and everything Augustus did but mostly it was pretty dire.

I haven’t listened to the latest Dust (thanks for the spoilers btw) but I’m curious what exactly you’re looking for in this. What I’m looking for is a story created by four people woth one bringing the setting and the others instigating the action. Dust was great for that, because every event was a direct result of something the players decided to do.

With Amnesty, I don’t think the players’ actions had any effect on the story. That is, I think things would have played out the same way no matter what Justin, Travis, or Clint decided to do. In contrast to Balance, Commitment, and Dust, I can’t think of a single opportunity they had to alter the course of the story. The way I see it, that makes it one fourth as interesting at best.

EDIT: Let me make it clear that I’m not trying to debate you into a different opinion or say yours is wrong or anything. It’s just that I can’t think of anything that Amnesty did best out of all three mini-arcs, but if it is your favorite so far then you can. What is it? Combat?

Ariong fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 23, 2018

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Dust was better than Amnesty or Commitment IMO. I wouldn't be too disappointed if this is what they went with but am also interested in what Justin could bring to the table. If his GMing is half as good as his characters then buckle up.

On the other hand I can see Justin just not having the time or desire to commit to GMing a game.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
If anything I hope his is the most "come up with your own story" type game since he is a great improv comedian and doesn't have time to write a story

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
Got my ticket for the Columbus show, mostly caught up on MBMBAM and TAZ. A few long drives tomorrow and I should be golden.

I'm liking Dust quite a lot, especially that it doesn't feel railroaded like Griffin's arcs.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I also felt like Dust had a few more jokes than Amnesty.

What's everyone's guess at the special announcement next week? Mine is that Justin isn't going to do an arc.

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

Deeters posted:

What's everyone's guess at the special announcement next week? Mine is that Justin isn't going to do an arc.
Justin isn't doing an arc, and they're sticking with Dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
isn't griffin also doing a space game?