Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that's a goddamn phenomenal dad stache

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I think he's only shaved it off like once in my life and it was a very challenging time for us all. :ohdear:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
These most recent dad pics reminded me there's a few in my family album I helped to my dad to scan a decade and a half or so ago, that I always like coming back to. Here, in roughly chronological order.

c. April 1945, my grandparent's wedding photo several months before the war ended. They're the couple on the left and I love how my granddad is happy looking at the camera compared to the other guy.

c. 1951-1953. My grandfather had his picture taken for the paper as he wanted to walk around on the bottom of the water reservoir as people were complaining about the silt levels or somesuch.

c. 1955. My grandmother with my aunt (approx. age 8) and my dad.

c. 1964. My dad at approx. age 10. I find this probably bootleg Donald Duck terrifying.

c. 1966. A portrait of my aunt going into her first year of university.

c. Aug 1969. Great datestamp. My dad at 15, camping in jorts. My uncle is in the background.

c. 1969-1970. I think this is from the same camping trip or maybe one year later. My dad's clearly wearing the same shirt as the previous picture, and my uncle is next to him. I believe that's my grandfather off to the right, in incredibly late 60's dad shorts.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Holyshit these are great.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

those are fantastic, drat

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

This is really cool. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Choicecut posted:

This is really cool. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

He was really happy with how that particular picture came out.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

cool M*A*S*H screen caps

Shrinking Universe
Sep 26, 2010
Muse sucks FYI
Please keep posting all the Koreanwardadpics.jpg.

Great pictures, phenomenal quality and scans. When I imagine what going back in time and using modern gear to shoot historical events would be like, you have bought through in these pictures.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Every time I think I'm done scanning korean war photos I find more and more boxes of slides.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

please keep posting them, they are awesome

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I don't have any really good photos of this vintage (most of it's with my parents, 1500 miles from here, I think I've got a few developed pics of my father and possibly his sister in their barrel-riding days, but even that's the mid-late 80s.)

I really appreciate everything that's been posted, though.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dude on the right fuckin owns

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

DJExile posted:

dude on the right fuckin owns

with the shovel?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh whoops, no the one with the sarcastic expression and cigarette

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He's definitely the free spirit of the group, always coming up with crazy get rich quick schemes.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

He's definitely the free spirit of the group, always coming up with crazy get rich quick schemes.

It's funnier to apply this to the guy on the far right in the background with the shovel.
Losers stand around for photos! Husslers get where it's at! These crazy Korean rocks are gonna be worth a fortune back home!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

My workplace decided I needed more time to scan, so while I'm unemployed I'm catching up. As expected, 1996 and 1997 have a very low signal-to-noise ratio since the negatives are more or less complete.

But this? What the gently caress? 30 photos of a goddamned pile of dirt. Dirt. 30 pictures.

Nothing special about this fire shot, I just like it.

Speaking of fire, Late 2016's "You Tried" Award Winner:

Accidental snap of the corner of the darkroom. It was cluttered, filthy, stinky, you felt like washing your hands when you left it, and yet I miss it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh hell yeah bleech is back :toot:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

DJExile posted:

oh hell yeah bleech is back :toot:

My time contributing is almost done; I have one more box of negatives to go (circa 1997), and maybe 200 more frames of 1996 to go, and that will be all negatives finished (16,000+ scanned so far). The more complete the archive, the less gold there is to be found. Still though, I have 2017 to plow through

But there is still the occasional interesting (at least to me) stuff like this: the last "true" running of Stoneybrook in 1996, which was ostensibly a horse race, but was actually just an excuse for hundreds/thousands of people who couldn't possibly give a poo poo about horse races to go get hammered in a field all day. This was a tradition for 30+ years and considering an Irish immigrant started this yearly race, this may have been a feature and not a bug.

This photo is one cardinal, one UNC cap, and one bottle of Cheerwine from being northcarolina.jpg

From the horrible-yet-accurately-named fenced off area signed as "CLOWNTOWN":

There's a fair chance that these were the only people actually looking at the horses

Other angles reveal this to be Bowman's Virginia Vodka. Man the love/hate relationship with that cheap poo poo I have.

I guess it would be cheating to post my own poo poo here, even though they're technically dadpics :v:

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Despite a few awards this year, pops' home PC doesn't have much on it from 2017 (hoping to get his work computer's stash soon), but here's what I did like.

The "People" file:

The Good Boy File:

(there's 8 or 9 more, which show the ridiculous amount of dried drool running down the door :3)

The Helpless Catte File:

Unseasonably late snows after the Azaleas start blooming are always a hit

Generic wreck photo of an old lady with dementia who was driving around town playing bumper cars IRL part of the day. The reason this photo amuses me is that my dad parked and went back into work and his dashcam hadn't shut down yet (it runs for like 5min when he turns off the engine) when she came up the street and sideswiped him, finally coming to a rest a few cars down. They put the video up on the website, I'll try and see if I can get a copy.

Hi, I'm Rev. Bleech_. You know, we had a lot of fun today...but there's nothing funny...about texting and driving.

Just go to the graveyard and ask this poor fella, dead two weeks before christmas like a mile from his house. Runs the stop sign as he's texting, loses a fight with an 18 wheeler

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

The Good Boy File:

This is the wise old man and his dog that the protagonist of an adventure movie happens across in their darkest hour. He gives some sagely advice and sends the hero along their way.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

DJExile posted:

This is the wise old man and his dog that the protagonist of an adventure movie happens across in their darkest hour. He gives some sagely advice and sends the hero along their way.

"It's dangerous to go alone; take this"
"*woof*"

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that's a tiny iSheep with the yellow shirt and :q: face isn't it

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
My mom wasn't alive at that point. That's grandpa to the left of that kid tho.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

"Dad, put the cake down, it's picture time" "NO. *chews rebelliously* "

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

gram

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Hooray, awards are out.
General news, third place (rather inexplicably since it's from Sept of 2016 rather than 2017)

lol, this one won wound up winning third place for Spot News Photography.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

The Helpless Catte File:

Feature photography, third place

First place, Spot News Photography

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Welp, sorry for another long dump, but here goes.

Cleaning out everything at work, dad brought home a large stack of CD-Rs, some as far back as 1999, containing digital and scanned-from-color-negative shots from 1998-2003 that I thought were lost forever, as well as his personal "favorites of the year galleries" for the end-of-year issues in 2013 and 2014 that I hadn't seen. Those two galleries are linked there, with some crossover with what's posted here:

John Edwards in early 2000, before you could add the phrase "Disgraced former Senator and Vice Presidential Nominee" in front, holding a baby that isn't his nor illegitimate for a change

Edwards being a local boy, my dad and a journalist from the paper got to follow him around in DC in fall of 2000 and tag along with him to a roast of Dan Rather.
Most shots of Edwards in his office have a window washer's legs dangling hilariously by the window.

On said trip, he and the journalist bumped into noted piece of poo poo and home state Senator Jesse Helms (rest in piss). When the journalist, who had built a bit of a left-leaning reputation in Raleigh in the 70s and 80s introduced himself, Jesse scooted away as pieces of poo poo do.

Famous faces at the roast: Arthur BranchFred Thompson

Rather himself, of course

Tim Russert, Alan Greenspan

and a dude I swear I recognize but cannot friggin' name. Any help?

----

Famous for different reasons, Sgt. Carwood Lipton, who had retired to the area. They did a bit on him around the time "Band of Brothers" premiered, not very long before he died. Super-nice unpretentious guy according to dad, who apparently didn't ask him "how are those nuts, Lip?". Trivia: he had a bitchin' screaming eagle mailbox.

From nationally famous to locally famous, this is Red. Red ran a service station that was pretty drat great and pretty drat affordable, and he had been doing it for over 50 years. He was cantankerous. Famously, he once responded to a pair of Japanese tourists in the 70s who asked him "can you tell us how to get to X?" with "You found Pearl Harbor without my help." He was also kind of a dick.

Whatever story is behind this scene, it can't be nearly as good as the story in my head.

trent dead. so what.

Pops was never above a raunchy joke.

The week of 9/11 was a weird time.

Random people dump:

Random horsey/landscape dump:

To close us out, a Good Boy dump :unsmith:

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 21, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Certified cool pics!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

loving pioneers taking this pic, what, 40 years before Instagram?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It goes back even further than that, it started back before color was invented when villains would tie girls to the rails.

So it's good to see some progress on that front.

• Locked thread