Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Meanwhile B/W in Special teaches that a hero’s reward often amounts to little more than getting stoned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Meanwhile B/W in Special teaches that a hero’s reward often amounts to little more than getting stoned

day 1000-something of entrapment :rip:

now that kusaka's actually finally close to getting that resolved, i'm not totally sure if he knows how he's gonna write his way out of it

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 20, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TheKingofSprings posted:

BW Special teaches us that you shouldn't run a million arcs at once and expect to be able to actually finish all of them. B2W2 will end, at the very least, three generations after it should have.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I got Pokemon Crystal VC because I'm a mark and I love Johto. I've got the urge to work on a living Dex, too. I'm very glad breeding is easy in Sun.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
So my connection was interrupted while trying to trade something in the GTS.

Reading some posts that say the trade ban lasts anything between 10 mins to 3 days. Fun.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Okay I managed to get a Dusk Lycanroc to start breeding a new team to rerun UM.

So far I have planned Lycanroc-Dusk, Alolan Raichu and Kommo'o.

Any suggestions for the other 3? I am looking for a well rounded team with 2/3 stage Pokes and not necesarily from the Alolan Dex.

I considered Golisopod but going through the game with a Wimpod for 30 levels is definitely not gonna be fun.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

lezard_valeth posted:

Okay I managed to get a Dusk Lycanroc to start breeding a new team to rerun UM.

So far I have planned Lycanroc-Dusk, Alolan Raichu and Kommo'o.

Any suggestions for the other 3? I am looking for a well rounded team with 2/3 stage Pokes and not necesarily from the Alolan Dex.

I considered Golisopod but going through the game with a Wimpod for 30 levels is definitely not gonna be fun.

Alolan Marowak was pretty fun for my first Sun playthrough. In Ultra Sun i had a fennekin for my fire slot and just completely wrecked face.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Kurieg posted:

Alolan Marowak was pretty fun for my first Sun playthrough. In Ultra Sun i had a fennekin for my fire slot and just completely wrecked face.

Oh drat I totally forgot about it. I used an Alolan Marowak on the Festival Plaza rental and it completely owned.

Now the last 2 mons need to cover the following: Ghost, Ground, Dragon.

I've been tempted to get a Clefable for a while, but looking at it's movepool and the suggested builds it doesn't sound like a fun Poke to use ingame

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 21, 2018

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

Oh drat I totally forgot about it. I used an Alolan Marowak on the Festival Plaza rental and it completely owned.

Sneasel.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

:ssh: Alolan Marowak is Ghost. Though you'll need someone to move-relearner shadow bone onto it.

As for Ground: Moxie/Power Trip Krookodile.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Kurieg posted:

:ssh: Alolan Marowak is Ghost.

My bad, I meant something that resisted those 3 types, specially Ground since so far my team has 3 Pokes weak to it.

Hot drat I wasn't familiar with Weavile's stats. Definitely bringing him along for the ride.

Now for the final slot I think I need something to deal with that +2 Ribombee Totem and Fairies in general. Not Metagross or Aggron since I used them in a recent playthrough.

I think I'll finally give in and get the ever popular Scizor. Why did Alolan Sandslash had to be so bad :(

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

My bad, I meant something that resisted those 3 types, specially Ground since so far my team has 3 Pokes weak to it.

Can I interest you in our lord and savior Pompador Bird?
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Staraptor_(Pok%C3%A9mon)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

lezard_valeth posted:

It's not that bad, actually

Just keep it in your first slot and keep switching it out, which will result in it getting 100% of the experience points from a battle rather than the usual 50% if it never participated (unless the Exp. Share is turned off, in which case it'll split it with other pokémon like it did in older generations)

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

lezard_valeth posted:

Hot drat I wasn't familiar with Weavile's stats. Definitely bringing him along for the ride.

Now for the final slot I think I need something to deal with that +2 Ribombee Totem and Fairies in general. Not Metagross or Aggron since I used them in a recent playthrough.

I think I'll finally give in and get the ever popular Scizor. Why did Alolan Sandslash had to be so bad :(

Weavile doesn’t resist Ground or Dragon, but given its defensive stats, you probably shouldn’t consider it to resist much of anything. It’ll definitely kill those things very hard, though.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The official evil Team tier list is:

1. Team Skull
2. Team Rocket
3. Team Aqua/Magma
4. Team Galactic
5. Team Plasma
6. Team Flare

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Gen 6 is a favorite of mine cause it's the first 3d title and it introduced us to the Grim Reaper death bird :rock:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Aqua and Magma are definitely the dumbest teams. Not only do they fail basic color matching and grab the wrong orbs (thankfully changed in oras) they both, within minutes of executing their plans, realize that even five seconds of thought could have told them that this was a bad idea. Like, at no point do Groundon/Kyogre not do exactly what they planned. It just didn't even occur to them that massive rain/droughts might be bad until it started happening

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
team magma/aqua are my favorite team bc it's just hilarious how it takes like 5 seconds for them to go from "ha my plan worked" to "oh poo poo wait this was a bad idea"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

cheetah7071 posted:

Aqua and Magma are definitely the dumbest teams. Not only do they fail basic color matching and grab the wrong orbs (thankfully changed in oras) they both, within minutes of executing their plans, realize that even five seconds of thought could have told them that this was a bad idea. Like, at no point do Groundon/Kyogre not do exactly what they planned. It just didn't even occur to them that massive rain/droughts might be bad until it started happening

Honestly, that dumbness is part of their appeal to me. They're so stupid it's hilarious.

Like, their whole plan is "Let's flood/burn the earth to make everyone happy!" and then it happens and suddenly they're all "Oh no! Flooding/burning the earth was actually an awful idea! Who could have seen this coming!?"

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Honestly, that dumbness is part of their appeal to me. They're so stupid it's hilarious.

Like, their whole plan is "Let's flood/burn the earth to make everyone happy!" and then it happens and suddenly they're all "Oh no! Flooding/burning the earth was actually an awful idea! Who could have seen this coming!?"

This is so true to his character it almost hurts. Like My God you lovable idiots what were you expecting?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Don't get me started on Gen 4/Platinum's narrative because holy poo poo it's the actual worst. They spend a whole game trying to make the case that Cyrus is bad and wrong but set up their own secondary narrative that thematically mirrors his plans/struggle and ultimately says he's right.
OK, legitmately wondering what you're talking about here, because I didn't get that from its plot at all. I can't even twist my thinking around enough to see anything resembling that.

Also while we're on an evil teams/pokecomics note, have one of my favorites from when Gen 5 came out:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

What's the best moveset/item combo to run an Alolan Marowak with? I'm thinking of running the totem one in the Battle Tree for shits and grins cause it has the Rock Head ability, but lord almighty does this thing have terrible stats. Decent defense though, and I can beef up the Special D with an Assault Vest, but that does limit me with only attacking moves. I got Shadow Bone, Bonemerang, Flare Blitz and Stomping Tantrum for double damage if Bonemerang fails.

Can this thing learn anything from move tutors, or is that a pre-evolution thing only? Would love to find a way to help max out it's attack but Belly Drum is an egg move and it has next to no HP to work with and abysmal speed to work with so that's probably a bad idea. On a side note, can you use any totems for breeding?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Parrotine posted:

On a side note, can you use any totems for breeding?

You can but the offspring will be normal size. And Totem Pokes are a no-no on Poke Bank, so they are stuck forever in USUM :(

Surprisingly Pikachu Cap can be stored in Poke Bank. Weird. And unfair. Give me back my Pikachu Libre from ORAS :mad:

Also I always prefered Groudon over Kyogre, but once the trailers started coming out there was no way I could choose Team Magma over Aqua.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 21, 2018

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Any new totems introduced in Ultra aren't bankable, but anything that was a totem in the first time is, because......reasons?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Haifisch posted:

OK, legitmately wondering what you're talking about here, because I didn't get that from its plot at all. I can't even twist my thinking around enough to see anything resembling that.

Cyrus's whole deal is his internal struggle with what he sees as the chaos of emotion ruining the order and beauty of the world. He uses the beings representative of knowledge, will, and emotions, things he considers to be inherently destructive force, to attempt to remake the world without this chaotic element that will eventually destroy the world. To do this he enslaves the avatars of Space and Time, pure order and creation, to remake to world, but he's stopped at the last moment by the shadow of entropy which easily overpowers him and stops his plan. Here is the thematic link, one that portrays Cyrus as correct. Chaos and the unknowable easily overpower the clean order of existence and will eventually be its downfall, mirroring what Cyrus sees as the eventual fate of society when the human will and spirit run free. In the end he sees that he was in fact correct, but he is too weak to do anything in the face of such chaos, and decides to be left alone in a dead desolate place, making a world succumb to what he saw as the ultimate evil his resting place. By setting up these two thematic groups the game paints a world where eventually, not possibly, we will lose control, everything will breakdown, everything will suffer. According to Pokemon Platinum's narrative the only thing Cyrus was incorrect about was the idea that he could stop this cruel nature of reality. It is a game about the old, the ruined, the withering. Platinum especially. The world itself is growing colder, entering the winter of its life. Death is creeping in, we cannot escape. This is the natural order, we cannot fight it. Revel in the chaos, for it is your life. To do otherwise makes you the villain.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 21, 2018

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I caught chaos in a ball and became friends with it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Same

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

gen 2 has the best story

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Gen 2's plot amounts to a bunch of losers trying, and failing, to make a phone call to an unlisted number, after which they completely give up.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Cyrus's whole deal is his internal struggle with what he sees as the chaos of emotion ruining the order and beauty of the world. He uses the beings representative of knowledge, will, and emotions, things he considers to be inherently destructive force, to attempt to remake the world without this chaotic element that will eventually destroy the world. To do this he enslaves the avatars of Space and Time, pure order and creation, to remake to world, but he's stopped at the last moment by the shadow of entropy which easily overpowers him and stops his plan. Here is the thematic link, one that portrays Cyrus as correct. Chaos and the unknowable easily overpower the clean order of existence and will eventually be its downfall, mirroring what Cyrus sees as the eventual fate of society when the human will and spirit run free. In the end he sees that he was in fact correct, but he is too weak to do anything in the face of such chaos, and decides to be left alone in a dead desolate place, making a world succumb to what he saw as the ultimate evil his resting place. By setting up these two thematic groups the game paints a world where eventually, not possibly, we will lose control, everything will breakdown, everything will suffer. According to Pokemon Platinum's narrative the only thing Cyrus was incorrect about was the idea that he could stop this cruel nature of reality. It is a game about the old, the ruined, the withering. Platinum especially. The world itself is growing colder, entering the winter of its life. Death is creeping in, we cannot escape. This is the natural order, we cannot fight it. Revel in the chaos, for it is your life. To do otherwise makes you the villain.

Okay but here's the thing....

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Chaos isn't inherently bad. That's a huge hole in your theory right there. Cyrus just kind of decides it's bad, along with knowledge, will, and emotions, because he has severe emotional problems stemming from a bad childhood and has decided to deal with those problems by destroying the world instead of seeking therapy. Chaos is a normal and natural part of life. You just have to learn to deal with it, because trying to destroy it will do more harm than good.

Things will change, the world will get colder, the devil may show up, and when that happens you can either put on a cute coat and make friends with the devil or you can pull a Cyrus and run away crying into a world of nothingness like a bitch.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Nodosaur posted:

Gen 2's plot amounts to a bunch of losers trying, and failing, to make a phone call to an unlisted number, after which they completely give up.

Yeah it was written by Thomas Pynchon

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
special having cyrus redeemed after he loses on the spear pillar, and having him realize the error of his ways and working to correct his mistakes during the last volume of the platinum arc, is going to be real awkward for the inevitable DP remake

unless they just have sird be the driving antagonist since she's been a loose plot thread for an entire decade by now

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
So what's the story behind people putting things up on the GTS but requesting gendered versions of ungendered pokemon like ditto? A handful of times I could see it being a mistake, but it happens a lot with shinny pokemon. Is it just a thing done by people who trade using message boards and such to prove they have such and such shinny? Seems weird.

And drat, I had finally decided to make Ultra Moon the game I finally "caught 'em all" but when I'm only 15% away from finishing the Alola dex I find out there's no national dex. What a pain in the rear end.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Free Drinks posted:

So what's the story behind people putting things up on the GTS but requesting gendered versions of ungendered pokemon like ditto? A handful of times I could see it being a mistake, but it happens a lot with shinny pokemon. Is it just a thing done by people who trade using message boards and such to prove they have such and such shinny? Seems weird.

It's because they have extra shins

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

less laughter posted:

It's because they have extra shins

I'd imagine, but why put up something for trade in the GTS looking for a pokemon that doesn't exist? There are no male dittos so no one will ever trade for your shinny :shrug:.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Free Drinks posted:

And drat, I had finally decided to make Ultra Moon the game I finally "caught 'em all" but when I'm only 15% away from finishing the Alola dex I find out there's no national dex. What a pain in the rear end.

It's just kids showing off their shinies. By asking for an impossible pokemon, they can rest easy knowing that the trade wont happen and they'll never actually lose their pokemon. These trades seem ubiquitous on the GTS because all the reasonable deals get snatched up quickly while all the impossible trades linger. For this reason, its generally its a better idea to offer a trade of your own rather than searching for for what you need from someone else's trade.

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 21, 2018

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Free Drinks posted:

I'd imagine, but why put up something for trade in the GTS looking for a pokemon that doesn't exist? There are no male dittos so no one will ever trade for your shinny :shrug:.

they're using it as a trophy case op

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

special having cyrus redeemed after he loses on the spear pillar, and having him realize the error of his ways and working to correct his mistakes during the last volume of the platinum arc, is going to be real awkward for the inevitable DP remake

unless they just have sird be the driving antagonist since she's been a loose plot thread for an entire decade by now

The 3DS remakes are set in an alternate universe (see ORAS and the entire Rainbow Rocket arc) so they can do whatever they want with the characters, which will probably involve a plot rewrite and character redesign.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Hardcordion posted:

It's just kids showing off their shinies. By asking for an impossible pokemon, they can rest easy knowing that the trade wont happen and they'll never actually lose their pokemon. These trades seem ubiquitous on the GTS because all the reasonable deals get snatched up quickly while all the impossible trades linger. For this reason, its generally its a better idea to offer a trade of your own rather than searching for for what you need from someone else's trade.

oddium posted:

they're using it as a trophy case op

Ahh, I figured it was some sort of show off thing, but wasn't sure if there was more too it. would be really nice if they just made it so you couldn't ask for nonexistent pokemon. Also, screw them for not making "pokemon you own" the default choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Okay but here's the thing....

Chaos isn't inherently bad. That's a huge hole in your theory right there. Cyrus just kind of decides it's bad, along with knowledge, will, and emotions, because he has severe emotional problems stemming from a bad childhood and has decided to deal with those problems by destroying the world instead of seeking therapy. Chaos is a normal and natural part of life. You just have to learn to deal with it, because trying to destroy it will do more harm than good.

I mean I know this.and agree but the narrative doesn't really paint this as nuanced as they need it to be since they draw comparison to between it and Giratina who is basically a nightmare devil from double hell as far as the game is concerned about portraying them. Thus why I think the narrative falls apart because of its mishandling of these thematic links. I know and appreciate the moral they're attempting to get across the just gently caress up telling you that moral in places.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 21, 2018