Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koalas March
May 21, 2007

1. Black Panther
2. Ragnarok
3. Guardians 2
4. Homecoming
5. Civil War

edit: lmao just realized what all these movies had in common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm gonna be eternally pissed off if IW doesn't follow up on GET HELP.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I didn't know Shazam! was going to be on the CW.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Arist posted:

Doctor Strange himself is not a terribly interesting character (and some of the more forced attempts at humor just kind of end up making it worse, imo), but the visuals and the really creative poo poo in the fights are worth the price of admission (which as it turns out is zero if you're an active Netflix subscriber). Stuff like the New York chase and a lady getting sucked into a fishtank are awesome, and Dormammu's defeat is just incredibly clever.
I don't know why but Dr. Strange's power come off like a Jojo's character. Which is probably why I like him. He's also kind of an ethically good version of Tony Stark.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Codependent Poster posted:

I didn't know Shazam! was going to be on the CW.

At least if it were Talky Tawny would probably end up on Legends of Tomorrow.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If you bought the BRD, you can listen to a commentary by Taika Waitit. It doesn't have a huge amount of insights, but he's got some good jokes about the movie. He mentioned that Korg was based on the Polynesian bouncers you'd see in NZ, who would be these really massive mountains of men, but they're all the nicest guys in the world.

He does talk about how the Valkryie flashback was lit giving it the unique look.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

He does talk about how the Valkryie flashback was lit giving it the unique look.

I have an educated guess, I wonder how close I am. 😂

Either way, sounds awesome.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Koalas March posted:

1. Black Panther
2. Ragnarok
3. Guardians 2
4. Homecoming
5. Civil War

i feel the same way, even down to the realization you had.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

idgi

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Black people being relevant, meaningful characters.

(Even though Zoe Saldana is painted green, it's the thought that counts)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

And it's all from the last year.

I like how most of the lists so far list GotG 2 and Winter Soldier in the top 3, since I think they're the top Marvel movies objectively, I think Winter Soldier is a stone cold classic outside of the comic movie field.

So my list would be:

1. Winter Soldier
2. GotG 2
3. Thor Ragnarok

Though 2 and 3 might be in flux.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The theory I've heard (with some supposed support from leaks) is Eitri, and he helps forge Thor's new weapon.
Loved that mission in Age of Mythology

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay, instead of favorite flick, what is your #1 favorite moment in the MCU?

I can't lie, mine is GET HELP.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

achillesforever6 posted:

He's also kind of an ethically good version of Tony Stark.

he doesn't work on risky patients to keep his perfect record going

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I’m thinking dying dads/daddy issues

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Rhyno posted:

Oh god, a single one?

This is really loving hard

I'm going to have to defer to "Father and Son" playing in GotG2 because, once again, family stuff just gets me.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

"Do I know you? I feel like I know you?"

But actually "Bury me with my ancestors who jumped from ships knowing that death was better than bondage" or "You're gonna have to Mark Furhman me."

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Samuringa posted:

Black people being relevant, meaningful characters.

(Even though Zoe Saldana is painted green, it's the thought that counts)

Ding! Ding! Ding!

1. Black as gently caress.
2. Valkyrie, who is just a drunk badass that I relate to on a spiritual level.
3. Gamora gets fleshed out more, the absent father thing. Rocket.
4. Liz and MJ
5. Black Panthers first appearance, also the iconic line "Move, or you be moved."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That was my first thought but I somehow shamefully forgot about the black people in GOTG2 and Homecoming, whoops. I remembered Liz, at least, but not Michelle or Gamora.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Koalas March posted:

Daddy issues?

Rhyno posted:

I'm gonna cheat. There's just no way to do this without cheating.

Phase 1: Hawkeye shooting an arrow at Loki who catches it and manages just the hints of a smirk and a "Really?" face before it explodes.
Phase 2: Captain's orders
Phase 3: "Weeks?! I don't need weeks! Whole country ain't gotta be there! I just need him!"

I could wake up tomorrow morning and replace literally all 3 of those I bet. Or at least Phases 1 and 3. Captain's Orders is really good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Any and all scenes with Gary Shandling being a huge dick are also my favorite.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Hulk using Loki like a dog toy.

...also Hulk using Thor like a dog toy. But that only works because of the first.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t know if I’d declare any of these my favorite in the entire MCU, but:
- Lang rolling out of the van in Civil War and doing the “Hey, I know you, you’re great! And so are you!” and then testing Cap’s pecs just kills me.
- Falcon and Bucky in the VW
- Thor’s face when Cap moves the hammer

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rhyno posted:

There are so many great ones, and I love them all for different reasons, but I think the one that really sticks with me is when Steve Rogers jumps on that grenade in TFA.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Klau and Ross in the club in BP.

"Please, don't make me listen to your music."

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
"If you step out that door, you are an Avenger."

I think I have to come to terms with the fact that I really like Hawkguy for inexplicable reasons and nobody else does.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

- Falcon and Bucky in the VW

"Can you move your seat up?"
"No."

I die laughing every single time.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just remembered it and I'd have to say best moment for me probably goes to Surprise Michael Keaton when Peter goes to pick up Liz in Homecoming.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
"Hail Hydra"

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Is this your king?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Arist posted:

I just remembered it and I'd have to say best moment for me probably goes to Surprise Michael Keaton when Peter goes to pick up Liz in Homecoming.

That car ride was a spectacular scene of little moments and subtle acting.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Bruceski posted:

There are so many great ones, and I love them all for different reasons, but I think the one that really sticks with me is when Steve Rogers jumps on that grenade in TFA.

Yes, that film does such a great job of selling the idea that Steve's heroic even before he gets the serum.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howe_sam posted:

Yes, that film does such a great job of selling the idea that Steve's heroic even before he gets the serum.

He's still skinny.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

- Absolute #1: Rocket's drunken breakdown in the first Guardians. When Gamora refers to him as "rodent" earlier in the movie, he has a definite double-take to it that you don't notice the first time. Then later on he's emotionally screaming, "He called me VERMIN! She called me RODENT!" and it hits hard.

But other scenes I really like:

- The Drax/Mantis pond scene where Drax's emotionless stare is shown to be a front for how overwhelmingly devastated he still is over his daughter's death.

- "Dormammu, I've come to bargain!" It's both clever and incredibly badass.

- Since it counts as MCU, I loving love the scene from the first season of Agents of SHIELD with Skye and Ward in the diner. It's from late in the season where we know that Ward is Hydra. Skye figures it out and knows that the moment Ward is aware that she knows, she's dead because he's a highly-trained agent and she's just a hacker. Then she decides to kill time by starting a conversation about his undercover missions, which gradually turns into her vindictively roasting him for being a tremendous piece of poo poo.

- In terms of funny moments, the dance-off from Guardians will always be my #1. Not because of Star-Lord, but because of Ronan, the hammiest of villains, being so taken aback that he has to dial it down to 1 and go, "...What are you doing?"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am also a big fan of the moment in Thor Ragnarok where I realized Kat Dennings wasn't gonna be in the movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bruceski posted:

That car ride was a spectacular scene of little moments and subtle acting.

Right before that, the scene where her mom is taking the homecoming pics but Peter keeps staring at Toomes in full “oh poo poo oh poo poo” mode is just perfect.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't know if it's a favorite, but the moment where old lady Peggy Carter forgets that Steve was alive and finds out all over again, probably for the dozenth time, was a pretty big gut-punch.

The whole highway action sequence later on in that same film is probably the best all-around action scene of the whole MCU.

And then I liked it when the dweeby SHIELD agent wouldn't do what Rumlow wanted.

Yo Winter Soldier was a pretty good movie guys

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Retardog posted:

I’m thinking dying dads/daddy issues

SonicRulez posted:

Daddy issues?

Folks, this is every single comic.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Aphrodite posted:

Dinklage’s last voice over work didn’t go so well.

True, but it was a case of a very pissed off voice director (pissed at the company for good reason that is) and an artist who had to do three times the work that was agreed upon (because he was used as exposition bot instead of just one character of many). Add to this that there was no coherent story or script to gauge tone and mood, but instead a lot of pasting voice samples around and you get a lovely performance out of a good actor.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Moments that I loved in the movies;

Iron Man: Building the suit and making his escape.
Incredible Hulk: Blonsky the Super Soldier fighting Hulk.
Iron Man 2: The party scene where Tony just spirals.
Thor: Thor standing up to The Devastator with humility and apologizing to Loki, and Loki reluctantly shoots him anyway.
Captain America: The grenade scene or the propaganda montage.
Avengers: Where everything just goes to poo poo on the ship and everyone's learning to work as a team.
Iron Man 3: The Mandarin reveal.
Thor 2: Loki showing his true self after learning of his mom's death.
Winter Soldier: Steve and Sam bonding during their runs, or Steve and Peggy spending time together.
Guardians of the Galaxy: The origins of "Star Lord" and opening the new mix tape.
Age of Ultron: The hammer lifting scene.
Ant-Man: The effects in general, which might sound like weak praise but they're really fun.
Civil War: Spider-Man joins the MCU.
Doctor Strange: The confrontation with Dormammu.
GotG2: Drax talking to Mantis about his wife, or Rocket during the funeral.
Spider-Man: The characterization of Vulture.
Thor 3: It's really hard to pick something other than "GET HELP!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
I really like the House party protocol fight in Ironman 3. Since every movie is CGI vs CGI anyway, I really loved how tony was jumping from suit to suit.

• Locked thread