Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Somewhere on the Instant Pot website is a good discussion of water ratios and rice. IP now makes a different recommendation than is in their book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Thermomix is available for the first time in the US, with the launch of their new model, the TM5:

https://shop.thermomix.com/product/...0xoCMZAQAvD_BwE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32z57eS-TZw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGqTjpfkP1I

I got to play with one at a Williams Sonoma. It's very cool and fun and very futuristic, but I feel like maybe it's over-engineered. It has a new feature called the Cook Key which holds your recipes so that you can pull your Cook Key off your Thermomix and take it to the Thermomix at your friend's house, which seems like a solution to a problem nobody cares about. It also has robot arms that will latch onto the food container and keep it safely shut? Seems like there would be simpler ways to do that, but then they wouldn't be able to charge $1450 for it!

Mainly I just want a third season of the Katering Show to use it.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 13, 2018

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Bit late but crépe talk:

Using a regular 10-12" pan with sides this is my method:

Get yourself some small measure like a shot glass (or double shot glass or something of similar size) and experiment with how much mix you need to get the right thickness - just enough so that you get full pan coverage. Make a mental note or an actual mark on your container. Fill the container up to the mark, get your pan nice and hot (but not so hot that oil would smoke). Get a small amount of vegetable oil on a paper towel and wipe it around your pan - you're looking to make a really thin layer of oil, you should barely be able to see it but it makes a difference.

Once the pan is hot and oiled, dump all of the (correct amount of) mix from your container into the pan in one big go, don't try to pour it and cover the pan this way. Get it moving straight away and swirl it around the pan until it is coated.

Wa-la, good crépes. No need for fancy pans and spreaders, though you might be able to get them a little thinner - I've never tried a spreader though, maybe they're amazing, but I'm pretty happy with how my crépes turn out with my method. You can also do this without oil but IMO it doesn't seem to turn out quite as well and you're using such a small amount anyway.

Also fun fact: What you 'Merkins call crépes we just call pancakes in the UK - generally we don't put baking powder in our pancake batter as a standard thing. Your big thick fluffy pancakes are "American style" to us.

(And yes, I know it's "voilà".)

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 14, 2018

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Another note about crepe making, let your batter rest for at least an hour after you mix that poo poo together. Two is even better.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you can, try a test of rested vs. unrested batter. Kenji says you don't gotta, and tbh I'd probably never do crepes if I felt like I had to. https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/how-to-make-crepes-savory-pancakes-food-lab.html

(also it was prob on purpose but it's voilà)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Will any springform (that fits) work in an instant Pot?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Feenix posted:

Will any springform (that fits) work in an instant Pot?

I don't see why not. It might rust though?

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
The random 7" I bought for instant pot cheesecake works perfectly well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KHHFCKS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Nur_Neerg posted:

The random 7" I bought for instant pot cheesecake works perfectly well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KHHFCKS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is instant pot cheesecake better than regular baked cheesecake? I've never tried it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

extravadanza posted:

Is instant pot cheesecake better than regular baked cheesecake? I've never tried it.

Even if it's just alright, instant cheesecake sounds pretty good to me.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
The crust ends up a little looser than you'd normally get, but it's a pretty tasty result. As long as the cheese and eggs are room temperature when it's all mixed and ready to cook, it comes out nicely.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey do those vegetable containers actually keep vegetables good longer? The kind that have a built in collander to keep vegetables aired out and keep them from sitting in their own water?

https://www.oxo.com/products/storage-organization/greensaver

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
BTW friend bought one of those Fake Copper pans and it's true, they start to suck massively after about a month.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Steve Yun posted:

Hey do those vegetable containers actually keep vegetables good longer? The kind that have a built in collander to keep vegetables aired out and keep them from sitting in their own water?

https://www.oxo.com/products/storage-organization/greensaver

Yes. I have 3 week old cilantro in one in my fridge and somehow it is miraculously fine and not browning or slimy at all. I'm astounded. This is my first time using one and I think it's awesome and I will be buying the other sizes.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I bought a Lodge 10" carbon steel skillet the other day when they were on sale. I read the size but not well enough, it is smaller than I imagined. I can barely fit 2 average burgers at once. Just a heads up to anyone considering one.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

VERTiG0 posted:

Yes. I have 3 week old cilantro in one in my fridge and somehow it is miraculously fine and not browning or slimy at all. I'm astounded. This is my first time using one and I think it's awesome and I will be buying the other sizes.

This is loving life changing. I love cilantro but hate the logistics of it.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

VERTiG0 posted:

I'm confused. Is this any better than wrapping your herbs or greens in paper towels before putting them into a ziplock bag?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah what should I be buying here? The insert or the bins? Our veggie drawer is constantly just a graveyard of hosed up poo poo...

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

wormil posted:

I bought a Lodge 10" carbon steel skillet the other day when they were on sale. I read the size but not well enough, it is smaller than I imagined. I can barely fit 2 average burgers at once. Just a heads up to anyone considering one.

I love my 12 (11.7 or whatever) Matfer pans. I have 2 of them and a 10 inch. The 12 two are used for multiple dishes/searing at once and the 10 is used for.. Well eggs and crepes. I had some poo poo non stick pan that wouldn't last, but I'm happier with the nonstick of this seasoning. A woman I brought home made some weird bananas foster French toast for me, and she loves it. Luckily she knew enough to scrub and oil it instead of put it in the dishwasher.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I’m a big fan of extending cilantro by filling a deli quart container with an inch of water, cutting new ends on the cilantro and stashing them there. it’s brought some grungy looking bushels back to life, too.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

The Rubbermaid produce saver containers are markedly cheaper then OXO's, but they have great reviews. Anyone try those?

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
This 4.3 quart / 17.3 cup Rubber maid is right near the all time low at $8.24. Oxo's is $18

https://camelcamelcamel.com/Rubbermaid-FreshWorks-Produce-Storage-Container/product/B01CKM4G3W

Camel-cubed is a pretty cool. Shows you price history and lets you set up price alerts. Here are a couple other good deals I found today.

9 and 11" nonstick stainless skillet combo $25, normally $40+: https://camelcamelcamel.com/Cuisinart-722-911NS-Classic-Stainless-Nonstick/product/B003IKMR96
5.5q sautee pan w/ lid. $30, normally $40+: https://camelcamelcamel.com/Cuisinart-733-30H-Classic-Stainless-2-Quart/product/B00008CM6B?active=price_amazon&context=top_drops

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

The Creature posted:

I love my 12 (11.7 or whatever) Matfer pans. I have 2 of them and a 10 inch. The 12 two are used for multiple dishes/searing at once and the 10 is used for.. Well eggs and crepes. I had some poo poo non stick pan that wouldn't last, but I'm happier with the nonstick of this seasoning. A woman I brought home made some weird bananas foster French toast for me, and she loves it. Luckily she knew enough to scrub and oil it instead of put it in the dishwasher.
A 10" cast iron skillet is too small for searing off a bunch of steaks or whatever, but it's just about perfect for making cornbread or for use as a roasting pan for veg.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Made eggs in the carbon steel skillet today, 2 over easy, and a 2 egg cheese omelet. Total success. Then later some chicken stir fry. I wouldn't mind if it was smoother but will definitely order the 12".

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

wormil posted:

Made eggs in the carbon steel skillet today, 2 over easy, and a 2 egg cheese omelet. Total success. Then later some chicken stir fry. I wouldn't mind if it was smoother but will definitely order the 12".

You can throw that in the oven too right? Should be able to do a really nice roasted chicken with it and not have to bother about an oven rack because of the raised skillet ridges. Or am I thinking of something else?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

VelociBacon posted:

You can throw that in the oven too right? Should be able to do a really nice roasted chicken with it and not have to bother about an oven rack because of the raised skillet ridges. Or am I thinking of something else?

It's steel, so definitely. Also made a delicious cod today, no stickage. Alright, I'll shut up about it now.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The Kitchenaid stand mixer that Costco sells is $100 off right now. So $250 plus tax. I wasn't going to bake any cookies this week but I kind of feel obligated since I grabbed one...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

fknlo posted:

The Kitchenaid stand mixer that Costco sells is $100 off right now. So $250 plus tax. I wasn't going to bake any cookies this week but I kind of feel obligated since I grabbed one...

Where you live??? I like cookies.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Anyone got a stand alone induction cook top they'd recommend?

asking for a toddler.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

Where you live??? I like cookies.

Colorado. They were delicious!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Why buy a $1 squeeze bottle when you can buy an Oxo one for $5

The lids on the Thomas Keller All-Clads are terrible. Because they’re supposed to be universal they’re completely flat on the bottom, which lets them slide around as much as they want instead of staying put. Also the lid handles go off to the side instead of being on top, and clank against the pot handle awkwardly.

Too bad, because everything else about the pans seem great

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 28, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
If you want $1 squeeze bottles I'll trade you 5 for one Oxo, or anything else.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Would you guys recommend a carbon steel skillet over a Teflon one? I'm going to eventually replace the ceramic non-stick skillet my sister bought me as a house warming gift and was looking at my options.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Forgive me father for I have sinned and bought an oyakodon pan

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a Caphulon 'anodized aluminum' pan. What is up with this kind of cookweare? Does it have a nonstick coating like Teflon or is it something else entirely? I like the pot, the lid has a built in strainer so it is my go to pasta pot

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Slack Lagoon posted:

the lid has a built in strainer so it is my go to pasta pot

I’m trying to figure out how that could work. The lid having holes seems wrong.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I’m trying to figure out how that could work. The lid having holes seems wrong.

I don't know if this is the exact pot I have but it's similar

http://www.calphalon.com/en-US/simply-calphalon-easy-system--nonstick-15-qt-sauce-pan---cover-ca-1831401--1

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

horchata posted:

Would you guys recommend a carbon steel skillet over a Teflon one? I'm going to eventually replace the ceramic non-stick skillet my sister bought me as a house warming gift and was looking at my options.

apples and oranges m8. If you don't have cast iron/stainless yes but carbon isn't a 1:1 Teflon replacement even if it's seasoned well.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh, cool. I don’t think I’ve seen that before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

apples and oranges m8. If you don't have cast iron/stainless yes but carbon isn't a 1:1 Teflon replacement even if it's seasoned well.

Agreeing with the last bit. I'd only really bother going cast iron/carbon steel if it's something where the use case is very high temps. For example, I use my cast iron pan for high heat steaks, put the whole thing in the oven for pizzas, etc. I use my carbon steel wok for... wok poo poo at really high heat. I don't find the carbon steel to be anywhere near as slippery as teflon stuff but I don't use them for the same things. I think a (seasoned) carbon steel skillet would still have food sticking to it which would be irritating for me.