Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

fknlo posted:

Round 2!

I totally hosed something up last week. I've only had one test subject, but I'm pretty sure they taste way better too.

e: They're delicious!

They're gorgeous :) I'm so glad they turned out well! I really need to get back into baking... I just haven't had the motivation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I made some tide pod cookies for a super bowl party.
They are purposefully sickeningly sweet.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I have no idea what my problem is but I am Snickerdoodle Defective. I cannot EVER get them to come out right. These are from the same America's Test Kitchen book, but something just seems... off about them. They taste fine, they just look weird.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I haven’t tried the ATK recipe, but this is the recipe I’ve been using the last couple years: https://www.melskitchencafe.com/classic-snickerdoodles/

I had tried 2 others before landing on this one. The prior recipes were either all butter or all shortening. I feel like this recipe being 50/50 is what makes the cookies so good.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sex Hobbit posted:

I have no idea what my problem is but I am Snickerdoodle Defective. I cannot EVER get them to come out right. These are from the same America's Test Kitchen book, but something just seems... off about them. They taste fine, they just look weird.

I think you may be too harsh on yourself. Those look perfectly fine to me.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Boywhiz88 posted:

I haven’t tried the ATK recipe, but this is the recipe I’ve been using the last couple years: https://www.melskitchencafe.com/classic-snickerdoodles/

I had tried 2 others before landing on this one. The prior recipes were either all butter or all shortening. I feel like this recipe being 50/50 is what makes the cookies so good.

That's 100% identical to the ATK recipe.

They spread a lot more for me than the picture in the book seemed to indicate. Probably could have used a couple hours in the fridge.

edit- ATK recipe says to bake for 10-12 minutes, rotating the tray at the halfway point as opposed to 9-11 minutes straight through. That could make a difference for some ovens.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I've capitulated and decided I want cookie scoops. What sizes do I need?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

legendof posted:

I've capitulated and decided I want cookie scoops. What sizes do I need?

I generally use a 32 or a 40. I really like the size of a 32, but 40 is good if you want a little smaller.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Yeah, I have a 40 in the form of OXO's medium cookie scoop and it put my cookies on another level compared to the tsp sized one I had.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
http://www.thedutchbakersdaughter.com/2009/12/speculaas.html?m=1

I made these in an attempt to stop buying them at the store and god drat. They are so good. Dipping them in tea is heaven.
Only problem is that it makes 60-70 ish cookies so my friends and family I handed them out to want more immediately.

That was too high yield for me to bother with cookie cutters so I started by rolling the first dozen into balls and flattening them with the bottom of a glass.
This also proved too much work so I rolled the dough out in large sheets and cut it into squares with a pizza cutter. That worked great.

And I made enough spice mix for 2 more batches, I'm going to try putting it in everything....

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.google.com/amp/www.seriouseats.com/amp/recipes/2016/05/copycat-star-crunch-no-bake-cookie-recipe.html
Made this recipe but smooshed all of it into a heart shaped cake pan because I am a sappy sap.
Star Crunch are my fiancee's favorite Little Debby. This recipe blew them away.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Fun Shoe

Salted peanut butter pretzel chocolate chip cookies. Pretty good, I'd like them a little more if I'd maybe used some slightly sweeter peanut butter?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Scudworth posted:

http://www.thedutchbakersdaughter.com/2009/12/speculaas.html?m=1

I made these in an attempt to stop buying them at the store and god drat. They are so good. Dipping them in tea is heaven.
Only problem is that it makes 60-70 ish cookies so my friends and family I handed them out to want more immediately.

That was too high yield for me to bother with cookie cutters so I started by rolling the first dozen into balls and flattening them with the bottom of a glass.
This also proved too much work so I rolled the dough out in large sheets and cut it into squares with a pizza cutter. That worked great.

And I made enough spice mix for 2 more batches, I'm going to try putting it in everything....

I like the part where it says to preheat the oven and then stick the dough in the fridge overnight :mmmhmm:

(Not that anyone should be making a recipe without reading it through first, of course)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Sex Hobbit posted:

They just look like fluffy snickerdoodles

If you truly care about the looks, the two common fixes would be either switching from shortening to butter, or cutting back on shortening. I'd personally experiment with a 50/50 mix of butter and shortening and see how things turn out taste-wise, just to have a second data point

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Control Volume posted:

They just look like fluffy snickerdoodles

If you truly care about the looks, the two common fixes would be either switching from shortening to butter, or cutting back on shortening. I'd personally experiment with a 50/50 mix of butter and shortening and see how things turn out taste-wise, just to have a second data point

The recipe calls for 50/50 shortening and butter.... they were a hit anyway so gently caress it, they're getting made again!

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 17, 2018

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Today was probably my first big-time Cookie Failure; these are definitely not getting taken in to work...

For comparison, this is the picture in the book (they're the Chocolate Chewies from the ATK book):

The only change I made in the recipe was using peanut butter chips instead of pecans because that's what I had, but that couldn't change the whole cookie that much. The other issue might have been that the egg whites were a day old (left over from a key lime pie I made) but I've made meringues with day old whites and had them come out fine. I put my last two stragglers on parchment instead of a silpat:

... not exactly a massive improvement. So who knows.

(The pie, for what it's worth, came out perfect.)

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 20, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't know the recipe, but pecans are dry and will add bulk/structure, while pb chips will soften and exude oil. You might also have had other issues, but yeah, that'd be a significant swap.

That said, nobody at work wouldn't eat those imo

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't know the recipe, but pecans are dry and will add bulk/structure, while pb chips will soften and exude oil. You might also have had other issues, but yeah, that'd be a significant swap.

That said, nobody at work wouldn't eat those imo

Crap, forgot about the oil situation. Well, that's me told for changing a recipe the first time I make it.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Do they taste good? No one will know/care what they were supposed to look like.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Scudworth posted:

Do they taste good? No one will know/care what they were supposed to look like.

.... kinda? I mean, they're edible. They're basically PB chips encased in a chocolate cracker.

I don't consider them up to even grad students' standards so I'll probably knock out a batch of snickerdoodles tomorrow after Black Panther-ing.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
"PB chips in a chocolate cracker" sounds like you made the current fad of cookie brittle! Also, people's standards for free work food are way lower than you'd think.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

Also, people's standards for free work food are way lower than you'd think.

People where I work will eat literally anything you bring in. We had a guy at my last facility that would literally bring in bags of chip crumbs to clean out his pantry and they'd be gone within an hour.

I got the Sally cookie cookbook yesterday and tried my first recipe.

Peanut butter Nutella Swirl cookies. They're good even though I'm somehow really bad at making the little fork marks on the top.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You can fix that by dipping the fork in water in between cookie forking. It doesn't need to be literally dripping, just wet enough the dough doesn't stick to it.

And yeah I've eaten some terrible work food, notably homemade muffins that were so badly overbeaten that they had the texture of a kitchen sponge. But it was free and it was there

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Sex Hobbit posted:

Today was probably my first big-time Cookie Failure; these are definitely not getting taken in to work...

For comparison, this is the picture in the book (they're the Chocolate Chewies from the ATK book):

The only change I made in the recipe was using peanut butter chips instead of pecans because that's what I had, but that couldn't change the whole cookie that much. The other issue might have been that the egg whites were a day old (left over from a key lime pie I made) but I've made meringues with day old whites and had them come out fine. I put my last two stragglers on parchment instead of a silpat:

... not exactly a massive improvement. So who knows.

(The pie, for what it's worth, came out perfect.)

It's definitely not the egg whites since that has the meringue cookie sheen, the only thing I can think of between yours and the expected result is that they smashed the pecans before putting them in. Maybe add crushed peanuts and/or more flour? idk

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

fknlo posted:

People where I work will eat literally anything you bring in. We had a guy at my last facility that would literally bring in bags of chip crumbs to clean out his pantry and they'd be gone within an hour.

I got the Sally cookie cookbook yesterday and tried my first recipe.

Peanut butter Nutella Swirl cookies. They're good even though I'm somehow really bad at making the little fork marks on the top.

Sally as in Sally’s Baking Addiction? I use her chocolate chip recipe and have been happy w most that I’ve made from her website.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

Sally as in Sally’s Baking Addiction? I use her chocolate chip recipe and have been happy w most that I’ve made from her website.

Sally's Cookie Addiction. I really like these cookies, I'll see what my coworkers think tomorrow. They liked the last batch I made even though I didn't think they were quite sweet enough.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

fknlo posted:

Sally's Cookie Addiction. I really like these cookies, I'll see what my coworkers think tomorrow. They liked the last batch I made even though I didn't think they were quite sweet enough.

Hell yeah. I didn’t realize she had books and now I have 2 on my wishlist. I’ve been really happy w the recipes I’ve tried from the website. Thanks for the info! Are you familiar w her website? The way you responded I’m not sure but if not check it out!

https://www.sallysbakingaddiction.com

My cousin turned me on to her and Mel’s Kitchen Cafe

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 23, 2018

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I did the Borderlands 2 mission "Eat Cookies and Crap Thunder" tonight so guess what happened

It's the Ginger Molasses cookie recipe from (again) the ATK book. They compare very favorably with my old recipe, which called for shortening instead of butter.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

My apartment the last couple weeks was insanely hot due to issues w my thermostat. So the butter I had left out to warm up before using them got a bit melty, and the eggs were affected as well. All the same, I made dough w them 2 nights ago and then baked last night.

They were my PB Cookies so normally p flat and retains the crosshatch pattern. This batch was suuuper puffy and a bit more cracked than normal. You can’t tell I made a cross hatch. Just funny to see how little things can affect the outcome.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

Hell yeah. I didn’t realize she had books and now I have 2 on my wishlist. I’ve been really happy w the recipes I’ve tried from the website. Thanks for the info! Are you familiar w her website? The way you responded I’m not sure but if not check it out!

https://www.sallysbakingaddiction.com

My cousin turned me on to her and Mel’s Kitchen Cafe

I wasn't familiar with that, thanks!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I treated myself to a 4qt stainless sauce pan. I grossly underestimated how big it is. Any tips for making caramel and fruit/sugar stuff (I’m blanking on the term hard.) I need to use a mitt/pot holder for the handles, right? I got some YouTubing ahead of me.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

!!! http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/caramel-sweetened-condensed-milk/9005d4ff-d063-43da-9fc6-509cc50ae771 !!!

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Oh yeah, I've eaten this before. It's very very very sweet, but the fact that you can make it (in bulk) in advance and store it still sealed is a big perk.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I always thought this was closer to dulce de leche than caramel (because the flavor is from maillard reactions versus caramelization). Regardless, the one time I tried it, it had a subtle yet distinct american cheese taste that I just couldn't ignore.

Waiting for subg to tell me why I'm wrong.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I think it really depends on what brand of condensed milk you buy. I like Milkmaid, it's smoother and tastes better than Carnation and the other one I can find on shelves in normal stores. I buy it at the Indian store but they also sell it at the Asian market (which is really just a small international market, they have African and European ingredients too). I suspect it's because condensed milk is used more in some cultures than others, so the consumers are pickier on quality.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I made not exactly a cookie, miniature pie? A pastry? It's a mazarin anyway, traditional swedish dish with roots in turkey I think. Basically a miniature pie filled with almonds (and a few bitter almonds, or extract for the proper taste) and some glaze on top.

TBH they didn't turn out that photogenic compared to real ones, so here's one with a few bites in it:

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Today: the peanut butter oatmeal pretzel sea salt dark chocolate clusterfucks from the ATK book:

I'm.... lowkey underwhelmed by these.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

What are they missing?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

The Midniter posted:

What are they missing?

I was expecting the pretzels to contribute a bit more salt than they did. That's easily fixed for next time by putting more salt on top. Besides that, I don't know. It needs.... something. Maybe different chips, I used the Guittard 63% cocoa ones.

So I made the cranberry-white chocolate-macadamia nut ones right after.

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Some kind of pretzel theme going on here lately. Sorry about my garbage camera as usual.

Pretzel Cookie Sandwiches with Salted Caramel. These are pretty involved to make but they look nice. Middles puffed up more than I hoped so the shapes didn't come out as clean as I hoped, anything I can do about this?

Peanut Butter and Pretzel Buckeyes (with half milk, half white chocolate). I kind of made this up as I was going along but they turned out pretty awesome. Next time I'm going to try and see if I can get the cute swirl pattern to actually stick out more, kind of a pain though.