Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Just got OOTP18 with the Humble Bundle.

Is there a bug with pickoffs? The AI has picked me off three times in my first 2 games, which doesn't seem right...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
The AI has now IBB'd Tulowitzki twice in my game in favor of facing Kevin Pillar. Tulo has an OPS that was under .200 before he got walked.

Needless to say this isn't working out for them.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Some dude on Reddit decided to see what would happen if he attempted to steal literally every time he had a man on first with second base open (with a team built around the idea, obviously)

https://www.reddit.com/r/OOTP/comments/7k3yq2/what_happens_if_try_to_steal_on_every_single/

It's amazing.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
OOTP 18 is ruining me. This 3d game engine poo poo makes playing games out so much fun!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

algebra testes posted:

OOTP 18 is ruining me. This 3d game engine poo poo makes playing games out so much fun infuriating!

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
I started my current league with the 1969 season playing as the Royals.

Heading into the 1995 season this is the Mariners lineup:

:neckbeard:

Good thing their rotation is a disaster or they'd win 150 games.

I'm very thankful for the realignment that put them out in the AL West while my Royals are safely in the AL Central.

:smug:

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
https://twitter.com/ootpbaseball/status/955817401534181377

Looks like OOTP 19 news in 3 days

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Maybe this will be the year the ownership AI understands the cheap/good/fast Venn diagram.

I have no idea how anyone works for the Pohlads.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
OOTP 19 announced

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Honestly, I don't see anything in there worth dropping $40 on unless you're eager to get the latest rosters. :shrug:

They advertise ~DRAMATICALLY IMPROVED AI!~ as a major feature but, well, as a longtime OOTP player I'll believe that when I see it.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Honestly, I don't see anything in there worth dropping $40 on unless you're eager to get the latest rosters. :shrug:

They advertise ~DRAMATICALLY IMPROVED AI!~ as a major feature but, well, as a longtime OOTP player I'll believe that when I see it.

I love the game & want to support it but it's really tough to justify dropping $40 on release when I know it'll be at least 25% off by July, 50% off by October and probably in a Humble Bundle for ~75% off at some point as well.

also I'm just disappointed that the football sim got quasi-cancelled and is now (yet again) over a year away from release

e: and the original developer of that football game, who had to step away for health reasons, just died, so, holy poo poo.
https://twitter.com/OOTPFootball/status/957415878286393345

StupidSexyMothman fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 28, 2018

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't the dude have a heart attack? Or is this a separate football sim delay?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

algebra testes posted:

Didn't the dude have a heart attack? Or is this a separate football sim delay?

He had a stroke in May 2015, somebody else stepped in to try to finish it in early 2016 with a late-2017 release target, but June 2017 they announced that they'd given up on finishing what they had & decided to start over entirely. It's really a weird situation because the game had been in some form of development before OOTP got involved, IIRC, so there must have been one hell of a coding issue to throw away ~4 years of code to start over.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm planning to bring over my current league so the only benefit I'll get is the "improved AI" - which I'm pretty sure has been on the feature list for every OOTP going back to 6.5. Well that and the new 3D mode which they have't finished and aren't ready to share - and would be a lot more appealing if I ever played out my games.

I'm a little salty about them no longer giving out Steam keys with pre-orders so I'll just wait until release day and buy it on Steam so I don't have to gently caress around with eLicense support every time I want to install on a new machine.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah I just started a bizarro-world custom league that I'm really enjoying and will probably keep playing for at least a year. So I'm probably going to wait until it goes half off in the summer or fall sale to grab OOTP19 unless the reviews on this year's ~Improved AI~ are really smashing.

I don't feel like I'm actually asking for much in that regard, I'd just like AI teams to stop spending the offseason signing and then immediately waiving and releasing guys because it still has budget space left and has to spend it.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I don't seem to have any luck with OOTP 18 when I try to do any sort of customization. A while back, I tried to make a league with historical imported players and it imported all the pitchers twice.

My new issue is that I started a new MLB league and immediately deleted all minor leagues except A, A+, AA, and AAA, then reduced the draft to 19 rounds to avoid generating excessive players. The result has been that it broke the draft and the best prospects in the draft are now 2 star 23 year olds who aren't developed very much. Oh well...

My issue with the default OOTP setup is that there are too many players to begin with and the draft list has too many really really good prospects compared to the players already in the league.

I have scouting turned off and the ratings are set to be absolute, so it's not just that I'm seeing the wrong ratings.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah I always had problems with using historical players too, so I just stopped doing that. The custom world I recently started is entirely fictional, started from ground zero with all fictional teams and players. 24 teams split into two leagues/four divisions. After spending a few hours importing logos and tinkering with uniforms to make everything look good, I set myself as unemployed commissioner and ran ten years to get some history before taking over a team. I'm really happy with the results.

One thing I've noticed with all new leagues you start is that the game has an idea of how much talent should be in the league. If it thinks there's not enough then the draft class will be super overpowered for a couple years, and if it thinks there's too much talent in the league then the draft class will suck for a couple years, until it reaches the equilibrium it wants.

When you start a completely fictional league populated with fictional players, the average talent level is always way low, so the first 3-4 years of drafts are always stacked. Your average fourth rounder in Year 1 or 2 would have been a mid-first rounder in Year 10.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

One thing I've noticed with all new leagues you start is that the game has an idea of how much talent should be in the league. If it thinks there's not enough then the draft class will be super overpowered for a couple years, and if it thinks there's too much talent in the league then the draft class will suck for a couple years, until it reaches the equilibrium it wants.

When you start a completely fictional league populated with fictional players, the average talent level is always way low, so the first 3-4 years of drafts are always stacked. Your average fourth rounder in Year 1 or 2 would have been a mid-first rounder in Year 10.

That's good to know. I'll just keep rolling, then, and see how the league shapes up. I also limited amateur IFAs and disabled finding players through scouting and random generation of free agents, so I was getting worried that I was slowly killing Major League Baseball as we know it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Eric the Mauve posted:

I used to always turn on draft pick trading because I thought it was fun but when I noticed this I turned it off, because not only was it super easy for me to take advantage of in trades by giving up first round picks that I knew would be terrible but the computer would make horribly imbalanced trades between itself as well.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

AI teams regularly make horribly imbalanced trades between themselves. You know how the AI likes to spam you with "hey, want to trade your good starting third baseman plus your best prospect for this mediocre relief pitcher" offers? AI teams make those kinds of trades between themselves all the time. The devs seem to think this is a feature because it moves players around without the devs having to go to the trouble of figuring out how to code trade AI that isn't retarded.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Eric the Mauve posted:

AI teams regularly make horribly imbalanced trades between themselves. You know how the AI likes to spam you with "hey, want to trade your good starting third baseman plus your best prospect for this mediocre relief pitcher" offers? AI teams make those kinds of trades between themselves all the time. The devs seem to think this is a feature because it moves players around without the devs having to go to the trouble of figuring out how to code trade AI that isn't retarded.

What's most obnoxious about this is that it never seems to work in my favor. Like I don't know what the system is that decides that the AI will initiate and obviously garbage trade request, but will not accept something that ridiculous in return. Like it constantly tries to get my top 10 org prospects for a hill of beans and some gum. I can't honestly imagine that this is how actual teams operate.

Though at the same time... they kinda do. So maybe we're all the idiots here. :smith:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

What's most obnoxious about this is that it never seems to work in my favor. Like I don't know what the system is that decides that the AI will initiate and obviously garbage trade request, but will not accept something that ridiculous in return. Like it constantly tries to get my top 10 org prospects for a hill of beans and some gum. I can't honestly imagine that this is how actual teams operate.

Though at the same time... they kinda do. So maybe we're all the idiots here. :smith:

The AI is looking for where it perceives you have a weakness, according to however it decides that, and lowballing you. I think it may also factor in position depth into what it asks you for (ie: it asks for your amazing SS prospect because it sees you have an ok MLB level SS now). You can do similar things in reverse if you find a contending team that has a hole in a certain position. AI difficulty and sliders will obviously make it a little harder to pull off any disgusting trades, but that's basically how to do it yourself. I've managed to get good players/prospects without overpaying that way. It takes a lot of due dilligence and experimenting to find the right combinations (if you have scouting on there is also variance in how their GM will view players compared to you), but just assume that your trade offers when doing this are similar to the trash ones they're offering you every so often. Also don't forget if a team keeps offering you the same player you can set a toggle on that player telling them you don't want them.

In an older version I had the Cardinals offer me Carlos Martinez straight up for Josh Willingham once though, which was cool.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I set up a whole promotion/relegation league and just to gently caress around and see how it would play out I simmed and had my Assistant GM have the ability to make trades (this is after editing all of my favourite Mets to be beasts, just for kicks) and mercy me the trades it were making were goddamn terrible

The A.GM traded away a 65 home run Cespedes for like two 2 star prospects TO A TEAM WE WERE ABOUT TO PLAY IN THE PLAYOFFS it was loving absurd

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I swear sometimes trying to sign players to fill out minor league rosters in the offseason can be annoying. Minor league filler with no chance of making the major league roster unless the RNG gets really friendly with the talent change are asking for 1 year major league contracts or minor league deals that grant free agenct after 30 days for an extortionate amount of money.

You're a 1 star backup catcher in A ball, buddy, I can't be handing out a few million dollars when I still have players in arbitration.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Armitage posted:

I swear sometimes trying to sign players to fill out minor league rosters in the offseason can be annoying. Minor league filler with no chance of making the major league roster unless the RNG gets really friendly with the talent change are asking for 1 year major league contracts or minor league deals that grant free agenct after 30 days for an extortionate amount of money.

You're a 1 star backup catcher in A ball, buddy, I can't be handing out a few million dollars when I still have players in arbitration.

I mean it's minor league roster filler, if I'm having trouble finding anyone at all then I'll just sort by Leadership and sign a Captain personality who can't play but will at least make everyone happier. (Not relevant if you turned the Chemistry system off, which is a very reasonable choice since it's so gamey)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's tough because, on one hand real people aren't emotionless stat generation devices. And disunity happens in real life, that Red Sox team that disintegrated and had a player that apparently said "They don't get paid for the playoffs". And also that Nationals Team that imploded spectacularly when they traded for notable fuckhead Papelbon.

But also it feels a bit gamey so Idk.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Team chemistry stuff in games (and stuff like momentum meters and all that) is always weird because that stuff does impact teams/players but it does so in such a volatile and unpredictable way that you can't really simulate. You can't tell who will gel and who won't, and who will play better/worse/the same depending on if they like/hate their teammates or if the team is on a winning/losing streak or whatever. I almost feel like the most realistic way to depict team chemistry would be to make it totally random.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I also hope OOTP19 fixes how badly the OOTP AI likes to hug prospects even if the players are afterthoughts. I may have a glut of prospects at one position, but not enough at another. I go to find a team that has enough minor league players at the needed position, and I can offer a player to fill their positional needs.

Nope. They get offended that I even make the offer, and they always want a top prospect when I want to make the deal work. Their counter offers would be the type of deals where I'd call up the other GM at all hours of the night and laugh at them until they block my phone.

The ability to force trades to go through owns and is one of the best features in the game. Of course, you should only use it for those kinds of deals that will never matter in the long run for either team.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean... human players obsess over prospects. Any long term fantasy keeper league has this problem, that every year half the players tank hard and trade their veterans for prospects. It stands to reason the AI should also be kind of obsessed with prospects.

Hardcore OOTP players insist that Very Hard trade difficulty and Heavily Favor Prospects AI settings are the only way to go, and even then trading is too easy and you have to control yourself lest you break the game over your knee. The difference between those maniacs and us is that they're perfectly willing to spend a solid hour offering a given superfluous outfield prospect around to all 29 other teams, getting a feel from their counteroffers as to which 3 teams' scouts like the guy more than they should, then putting every player in each of those 3 teams' entire system into the trade one by one to find out which ones their team's scouts like less than they should.

For you and me, who are willing to be a little bit gamey but aren't quite that insane, I think the default trade settings are usually pretty reasonable.

I do occasionally use the Shop Player Around function when I want to trade away a veteran, not because it ever provokes a serious offer but because glancing over the list of offers does tend to help me quickly learn which teams, if any, actually want the guy; they'll be the ones offering something besides 25 OVR/25 POT benchwarmers and salary dumps. Often it seems like a given team SHOULD want the veteran third baseman I'm looking to trade, because they're in Win Now! mode and have a gaping hole at third base in their major league lineup... but for whatever reason they don't really want the specific guy I have and aren't willing to trade anything of substance for him. Whereas some mediocre team with an average third baseman in house will for whatever reason be willing to trade a young major leaguer and a decent prospect for him.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 11, 2018

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
More details about OOTP19 today including screenshots of the new in-game screens:

:dance:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

wow that uh sure is a fountain out at The K
:itwaspoo:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Will they accurately model the trop tho.

There are a kot of empty seats is what I am saying

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

algebra testes posted:

Will they accurately model the trop tho.

There are a kot of empty seats is what I am saying

Markus says in that thread

quote:

Yes, we have 6 levels of crowd "density", so when you play out Marlins games you'll likely see a lot of empty seats

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean it seems like the devs are pretty much admitting that there's nothing more they can do to enhance the simulation so they're now spending all their time on making games look pretty. :shrug:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I always thought OOTPs AI trading was weird and inconsistent until I started playing online leagues with real people.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I’m still on OOTP 17. Do the new versions 3D render fictional stadiums based on dimensions and ball markers?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah there are mods so you can play in 3d in the old stadiums.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Have bought OOTP since I was back in high school when it was just Markus doing all the work and a handful of people buying the game. Was one of the guys who helped build the early rosters before they had the MLB license but before they made it too difficult. Stepped away for some years when they tried to turn it into soccer but have been back for awhile now as it's slowly gotten back to it's roots.

I've been playing for a day now. Mostly just testing stuff. The 3D is pretty nice but still has it's rough moments. I know it bothers some but I'm so used to just playing it with text that any kind of visual is nice.

Now I will say the in-game AI is much improved. They handle their bullpens much better. Using their closer more frequently and putting in top relievers in high pressure situations.

Haven't gotten much time to look at GM AI but it does seem like they are valuing pitchers heavier than in previous versions. It's near impossible to snag a good, young starting pitcher without an amazing offer. Even mediocre starters ask for good returns.

If anyone's interested I usually do a bunch of testing to figure out settings such as development and aging speed as well as talent randomness. For instance I found last year that players developed too slow and aged too fast. It wasn't by much but still helped make long term statistics more realistic. I can post if anyone wants.

Unfortunately there isn't enough customization for injuries. The game handles frequency fine but not duration.

IcePhoenix posted:

I used to always turn on draft pick trading because I thought it was fun but when I noticed this I turned it off, because not only was it super easy for me to take advantage of in trades by giving up first round picks that I knew would be terrible but the computer would make horribly imbalanced trades between itself as well.

One issue they had is putting in a "real draft class" for the first year (not sure if it went beyond that). The real class was always stacked because humans were putting it together off draft guides and tend to overate the class (draft guides make everyone seem good). One easy fix is when it generates a draft pool, delete it and then change the draft date to a couple days forward. It'll then generate a new fictional draft class more in line with what the league needs.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Also has an OOTP league ever been attempted here? I remember playing in one back in like 2001 and had a blast. Making trades on AIM was all the rage.

Doesn't seem like enough people here own the game but it'd be really fun if it were possible. The game has added so many good online tools. Plus with Discord and cheap hosting, it'd be pretty easy to communicate. Everyone building a team their own way, voting on awards and HOF, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think we could/should do it with an older copy of the game that everyone has. Like that one that was a buck in the humble bundle? (was that 18?)

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 21, 2018

• Locked thread