Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/976339173341736965

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

bell jar posted:

What is your objection to letting anyone come here

Don't loving bother he's not going to let you pin him down to an actual opinion.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
ACTU boss Sally McManus’ push for gig economy minimum wage doing ‘more harm than good’

UBER drivers and other “gig economy” workers shouldn’t get a minimum wage because it will do the Australian economy “more harm than good,” a government backbencher says.

Liberal MP Craig Kelly has slammed union boss Sally McManus’ push for rights for gig economy workers at her major speech in Canberra today.

“I understand she’s passionate about the workers, but the thing she does not understand, as soon as you take away those incentives, as soon as you get the government involved, setting minimum levels of rates of pay, you discourage employment growth,” he told Sky News today.

“You’re actually causing more harm than you are doing good.”

The Australian Council of Trade Unions’ secretary had called for the gig economy workers’ rights as part of a wider overhaul of Australia’s workplace relations laws, saying: “All working people should have equal rights.”

There have been concerns the union push could see prices “skyrocket” for services such as UberEats, Foodora and Deliveroo.

Uber has also warned it would undermine flexible work arrangements for those who turn to the service because they need extra cash.

“We’re not seeking to take away a lot of flexibility that would come through working in app driven technology,” Ms McManus told the National Press Club today.

“We are not seeking to take away the technology, the technology is great.

“We want to ensure any worker will at least get minimum wage — we can’t be in a situation where technology evolves and workplace laws don’t adapt to make sure all people get basic working rights.”

Under the union proposal, minimum ­hourly wages of $24 for ­drivers would be set.

The Transport Workers Union and the Australian Workers’ Union will take the proposal to the Labor national conference in July.

Under the plan, services would also have to offer superannuation and a minimum numbers of hours per shift.

Ms McManus did not outline how the rights would be implemented across the gig economy.

“Once you agree with the principle it’s a matter of sitting down and working it out,” she said.

In her speech today, Ms McManus also called for a clear definition of casual work in Australian law, along with a major overhaul of labour hire, a shift in Commonwealth procurement rules and an end to the uncapped temporary working visa program.

“Casual employees who have worked on a regular basis for six months, deserve the right to choose to convert to permanent work,” Ms McManus said.

She also said called for a national labour hire licensing system to ensure companies do not cut wages and conditions.

“Labour hire companies simply rent out workers for lower pay and less job security. It’s got to stop,” she said.

On temporary work visas, she said they had to have strong protections against abuse and only be used for genuine shortages.

Ms McManus was more measured in her comments when asked about how far union members should go in their protest action after the controversy over her remarks last year.

She told the ABC in her first week in the ACTU role: “It shouldn’t be so hard for workers in our country to take industrial action.

“I believe in the rule of law where the law is fair and right but when it’s unjust, I don’t think there’s a problem with breaking it.”

Today she said the union would do “everything we can to change the law”.

“We fundamentally believe that working people have a right to withdraw their labour as a last resort and our laws are really out of step for the rest of the world and we want them to align with the rest of the developed world standards.”

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull again criticised her rhetoric, saying she “doesn’t believe in obeying the law”.

“The industrial laws she is complaining about were passed by the previous Labor government, she’s complaining about the Fair Work Act and the Fair Work Commission,” he said.

“She doesn’t want to abide by laws Labor governments have enacted.

“That gives you a very big insight into what a Bill Shorten government would be like.

“He would lead, were he ever to be Prime Minister, the most left-wing, union dominated, militant Labor government we have seen for generations.”

Charles Cameron, chief executive of the Recruitment and Consulting Services Association of Australia and New Zealand, said the ACTU was throwing the labour hire industry under the bus in an attempt to boost its own declining numbers.

He rejected Ms McManus’s claims that labour hire workers did not receive the same entitlements as other workers.

“Labour hire workers are employees and receive the same employment entitlements as traditional employees,” he said. “This includes award pay rates, penalty rates, shift loadings, allowances, superannuation, workers compensation and long service leave.”

He said unions didn’t like labour hire because it made it harder to recruit and organise membership.

“Unions blame labour hire for declining membership levels rather than the fact that most Australians are happy to work flexibly and don’t see union membership as personally relevant or valuable,” he said.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
“He would lead, were he ever to be Prime Minister, the most left-wing, union dominated, militant Labor government we have seen for generations.”

Sounds good.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
'Foodora' jesus loving christ

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Anidav posted:

Sounds good.

You forget how readily people vote against their own interests.

Or how many vote on single issues. Just toss a distraction bone out near election time, true or not.

My scare tactic suggestion for the IPA is "Labor wants to water down the beer to 3% maximum".

*leans back in chair*

I'll take my consultancy fee in used fifties thanks Mr Trumpbull.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
I mean why even pay them at all? You're just reducing the incentive for them to work the more you pay them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

bell jar posted:

What is your objection to letting anyone come here

Absolute free movement is a cappo wet dream and any country going one out on it is a bad idea.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Synthbuttrange posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress if vic gets a lib state gov next term fuuuuuuuck

:same:

They could have had these results out in the public a year or two ago if they didn't fight it in court. It would have been forgotten by now. Yeah what they did was not good but they paid it all back, more than the citizenship7 did.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

anime david, if you can afford a subscription to the australian, you can afford to use the quote tag

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I can't believe the political faction led by an empty suit and a pocket full of hand written notes isn't bringing home the bacon every election.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Absolute free movement is a cappo wet dream and any country going one out on it is a bad idea.

"sorry mate, know you want to come here to our country and we'd love to have you, but we have to arbitrarily restrict our intake of refugees because of reasons"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
They should be subject to the same treatment and status assessment as any refugee.

Actually strictly speaking, we should treat all refugees as we're proposing to treat south african farmer refugees.

I don't want South African Farmers sent to murder island indefinitely. I don't want anyone sent to murder island indefinitely.

Anyone who isn't directly responsible for establishing and continuing murder island anyway, those that are/were can go straight there.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Just found out the union most likely to cover me is the QLD CPSU - before I contact them to join, are they secret Tories or anything?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hooman posted:

They should be subject to the same treatment and status assessment as any refugee.

Actually strictly speaking, we should treat all refugees as we're proposing to treat south african farmer refugees.

I don't want South African Farmers sent to murder island indefinitely. I don't want anyone sent to murder island indefinitely.

Anyone who isn't directly responsible for establishing and continuing murder island anyway, those that are/were can go straight there.

Yeah exactly. The thing is if you lifted the lid entirely on any kind of process I'd be shipping them over in cargo containers to do my clothes washing.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Hollandia posted:

Just found out the union most likely to cover me is the QLD CPSU - before I contact them to join, are they secret Tories or anything?
In general the CPSU is one of the most left progressive of all unions. However individual branches may be totally hosed. I'm looking at you CPSU (TOB).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CPSU has a surprisingly high number of full communists but they sometimes struggle with their members because they're old public servants.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

If the LNP want to avoid responsibility for the coming crash they'd better get their skates on.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ewe2 posted:

If the LNP want to avoid responsibility for the coming crash they'd better get their skates on.

Election... Now?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

I don't think they have any policies that would help avoid it though? The only skating they'd do is directly into the shitshow.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The problem is that the Federal Libs live in a Canberra bubble where the normal laws of physics do not apply. Hence all the MSM dogwhistling to 'clear the air' presumably for some dumb new narrative that the CPG are being instructed on. It feels to me they think there's heaps of time and don't want to push something really specific until they can use the state elections as a base.

hooman posted:

I don't think they have any policies that would help avoid it though? The only skating they'd do is directly into the shitshow.

The year is wearing on fast and the US mid-terms are coming and Trump is running around throwing gasoline on foreign fires, and we are indeed collateral damage. The shitshow might be coming much sooner than we think, that's all. Not that I'm under any illusion that the ALP and Greens have a better handle, if anything they seem too complacent.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hooman posted:

You don't need policies that fix a problem when you can just point fingers and blame other people.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

A BARNABY Joyce adviser was fired after a Christmas party stunt where he “dacked” a young male staffer in front of dozens of people — only to be rehired months later by the former deputy prime minister’s colleague Mark Coulton.

Good

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Malcolm Turnbull is doing his best to punish leftist voters by leading us to disappointment when Shorten wins and he both doesn't implement the most left wing government of all time, and doesn't kill off all the old pensioners.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I would vote Labor over Greens if they promised to severely reduce the pension as a percentage of overall welfare

you don't have to take any money from the oldies, just give everyone else a lot more

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Shorten should offer to lower the retirement age back to whatever it was before

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/patrickkeneally/status/976345752409595905?s=21

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Gentleman Baller posted:

Malcolm Turnbull is doing his best to punish leftist voters by leading us to disappointment when Shorten wins and he both doesn't implement the most left wing government of all time, and doesn't kill off all the old pensioners.

Now imagine the scenario with fixed-term governments instead of the free kick for governments of the day.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bell jar posted:

Shorten should offer to lower the retirement age back to whatever it was before

I counter your appeal to populism with a baseless scare campaign aimed at the greys about "Labor stealing your hard earned retirement to give to lazy bums who didn't earn it".

Remember truth and accuracy is less important than appeals to emotion and base instinct.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Remember how the libs got into SA and immediately said they'd gently caress over the poor by refusing to follow through with a plan to put solar and batteries on housing trust homes?

Well, it seems like the libs are realising South Australians really like their renewables since it was the focus of his first press conference.

http://reneweconomy.com.au/marshall-feels-blow-back-as-tesla-battery-comments-hit-raw-nerve-43839/

From the article:

renew economy posted:

(Marshall’s advisors were also on the phone to RE – not to contest the story, but to say hi, we do get it, and that we should watch this space. Trust us, we are).

Hrm, maybe they'll realise renewables are so popular they should stick with it...

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

froglet posted:

Remember how the libs got into SA and immediately said they'd gently caress over the poor by refusing to follow through with a plan to put solar and batteries on housing trust homes?

Well, it seems like the libs are realising South Australians really like their renewables since it was the focus of his first press conference.

http://reneweconomy.com.au/marshall-feels-blow-back-as-tesla-battery-comments-hit-raw-nerve-43839/

From the article:

Hrm, maybe they'll realise renewables are so popular they should stick with it...

They're doing that strictly to light a fire under the arse of coal. It's their way of saying "your cheque isn't in the mail yet, maybe think about sending it".

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Lol what are they going to do, give government back to Labor or actually adopt a renewable energy policy that works?

You remember what Turnbull tried to do to Jay for doing that? Imagine what he's going to do to his own team, where he actually has the influence and the power to kick off a spill.

I wouldn't pay them a cent.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hundreds of the submarine jobs are about to be going from SA to WA apparently. They kept that nice and quiet until after the election.

https://twitter.com/peterdujean/status/976307211268861952

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Anidav posted:

He would lead, were he ever to be Prime Minister, the most left-wing, union dominated, militant Labor government we have seen for generations.

This is their first election ad, just Turnball saying this over statistics of how much workplace injuries/deaths have risen under LNP government.

drunkill posted:

Hundreds of the submarine jobs are about to be going from SA to WA apparently. They kept that nice and quiet until after the election.

https://twitter.com/peterdujean/status/976307211268861952

Suck poo poo SA, WA best State. Woooooooooo. That's the sound of the wind in my hair because I'm riding the Metro net around the city. Not through it. Around it, Midland to Armadale y'all, Bogans unite.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
So fairfax published this

https://www.smh.com.au/national/south-african-farmers-are-trapped-in-a-brutal-reality-and-my-family-is-a-victim-of-it-20180321-p4z5ft.html

A writing on the oppression of white farmers citibg "AfriForum" repeatedly. What is AfriForum? Why a white nationalist group of course.

AfriForum was established in 2006 as an organisation nominally committed to the preservation of minority rights. It, however, solely focuses on the rights of Afrikaners, particularly language, cultural and safety and regularly conducts campaigns to this end.

4. AfriForum's leader, Kallie Kriel, was a member of the Conservative Party during the early 1990's, but left it because the party under Andries Treurnicht (who refused to take part in the negotiation process) "was not the right vehicle to ensure self-determination [a volkstaat]" for the Afrikaner.

5. AfriForum has tapped into white fears, specifically around affirmative action, transformation and crime, and boast more than 186 000 members (membership is R50 minimum per monthly debit order).

AfriForum has in the past referred to apartheid as a "so-called historical injustice" and a "woolly concept".

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Also the whole "white South African farmers are being persecuted" thing has been an NRA talking point, which is an interesting intersection. The aping of right-wing agendas has evolved towards providing them with ammunition (pun). I wonder what kind of payout the Liberal party are getting for putting that on the agenda.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

Konomex posted:

Suck poo poo SA, WA best State. Woooooooooo. That's the sound of the wind in my hair because I'm riding the Metro net around the city. Not through it. Around it, Midland to Armadale y'all, Bogans unite.

Aww yes come porkbarrel WA.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
SA learning quickly that Liberal government is not good or cool.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Libs federal and local are in Vic trying to make east west link a thing... East west link is never going to be a thing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/melbourne-s-inner-city-child-vaccination-rates-dangerously-low-20180321-p4z5i5.html

For fucks sakes Greens

• Locked thread