Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Gum posted:

I like how the article just casually drops the facts that the car was speeding and "made no attempt to break"

You know you can go approximately 10mph above the posted speed limit and not be considered speeding, right? It's "conditions permitting", sure, but 3mph over the posted limit is nothing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A computer has no excuse to speed. It knows precisely how fast it is going at all times.

It was an empty road so it can’t even be argued that “it was going with the flow of traffic, as is safer”.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Platystemon posted:

A computer has no excuse to speed. It knows precisely how fast it is going at all times.

It was an empty road so it can’t even be argued that “it was going with the flow of traffic, as is safer”.

Exactly. And if they’re allowed to speed and are no safer than a normal car and can still kill a surprise pedestrian, we’re left to ask “what the gently caress is the point other than to make more money for the tech sector?”

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Dewgy posted:

Exactly. And if they’re allowed to speed and are no safer than a normal car and can still kill a surprise pedestrian, we’re left to ask “what the gently caress is the point other than to make more money for the tech sector?”

They'll kill fewer people than human drivers

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Pakled posted:

They'll kill fewer people than human drivers

Pretty sure their record so far is worse though.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
They really should have stopped making airplanes after Thomas Selfridge

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've never heard of this game, might be good if campers automatically lose, get rekt Justin

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

I've never heard of this game, might be good if campers automatically lose, get rekt Justin

It's a 100 man free for all shooter on a giant map that slowly shrinks. It's last man standing so you can actually just hide most of the game and do well.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You know, that premise seems very familiar.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah it came out a bit after playerunknown's battleground, but has now overtaken it. Partly because it's free to play. It's gimmick is that you can also build fortifications on the fly.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Dewgy posted:

Pretty sure their record so far is worse though.

"Pedestrian hit by car after jaywalking at night" doesn't normally make international news.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Fathis Munk posted:

Yeah it came out a bit after playerunknown's battleground, but has now overtaken it. Partly because it's free to play. It's gimmick is that you can also build fortifications on the fly.

Fortnite has also been in development for a while as base defense player vs AI game. The battle royale mode was added after PUBG became popular, and ended up being even more popular than its original mode.

It’s probably Epic’s biggest success since Unreal Tournament 2004.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It's also cross platform

https://twitter.com/TheBigO915/status/971946362865704960

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Jaywalking to trigger the capitalist pigs

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Lol no.

It’s punished because the owners of new fangled automobiles wished to hurtle through town as fast as they pleased and were disgusted that they had to wait for poors to make way.

Yes, because everyone who owns a car is a loving billionaire, not the overworked and underpaid temps or teachers, who has to run between several work sites and jobs, or drive daily to work for 1+ hour commutes.

If you are one of the rear end in a top hat bikers or shithead jaywalkers who think they own the road, get hosed.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Aramoro posted:

Jaywalking shouldn't be punishable, its a dumb loving law and confuses me everytime I hear about it.
This should probably go to the Traffic Engineer thread in A/T if there's much more discussion, but here's my 2 cents. It's like a lot of things in road design, particularly speeding; people will act in a way that they feel safe and if people are routinely breaking the law, the problem is the design. If people are routinely jaywalking, they feel that the safety risk is worth it for the convenience and there should be more crosswalks plus disincentives to jaywalking like raised medians. If people are routinely speeding on local streets, they're driving as fast as they feel comfortable driving and there should be traffic calming measures like narrower lanes, shoulders with bump-outs, and busy roadsides with things like small trees to make the road feel narrower. If people are biking on sidewalks when they're supposed to be driving on the road, it's probably because the road is a deathtrap and there should be proper bike infrastructure; this goes both ways - if cyclists are rampantly running red lights and hopping curbs despite cycle infrastructure, the bike lanes should be physically separated from car lanes and sidewalks.

GWBBQ has a new favorite as of 11:37 on Mar 21, 2018

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Robocar intersection:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes, because everyone who owns a car is a loving billionaire, not the overworked and underpaid temps or teachers, who has to run between several work sites and jobs, or drive daily to work for 1+ hour commutes.

If you are one of the rear end in a top hat bikers or shithead jaywalkers who think they own the road, get hosed.

If you have a time machine, you are well-off.

Hope that helps.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

bitterandtwisted posted:

Robocar intersection:

Beautiful, but tell me you wouldn't be puckering the whole time.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

GWBBQ posted:

This should probably go to the Traffic Engineer thread in A/T if there's much more discussion, but here's my 2 cents.

This is pretty much true. Folks who say "one death is two many" are missing the point. Sure, in an ideal world, there wouldn't be anyone dying on the road. To get that to happen, you'd have to lock everyone in their homes. Many safety improvements are well worth the cost, among them pedestrian safety improvements, and designing roads for the speed you want traffic to go is critical to safety. However, the most people you're ever going to save in the US is <40k/year, which would be much more than outweighed by the delay and health cost of the measures you'd need to take to do so. Self-driving cars won't be common for at least another decade; there is a lot of time to work out the kinks. Don't expect them to have the massive all-around positive impact on society that tech bros say, though. Traffic engineering is a soul-crushing field. I don't post in the thread anymore since I hate everything about my job and find it intensely depressing.

If you speak French, read this to learn more about the detriments of blanket speed reduction in overall economic value: https://www.ecologique-solidaire.gouv.fr/sites/default/files/Th%C3%A9ma%20-%20R%C3%A9duction%20des%20vitesses%20sur%20les%20routes.pdf

But none of this is remotely on-topic and I have no idea why we're discussing it. In a combination headline-Schadenfreude post, we've had four nor'easters in the last three weeks. A local news station, WFSB, has been naming storms against NOAA's recommendations for decades, and this year they decided to name one Elsa. And they didn't get a single good headline out of it. They had so many opportunities, but in the end, decided to go with...

Winter Storm Elsa is done, over --- byeeeee!
http://www.wfsb.com/story/37672834/winter-storm-elsa-is-done-over-byeeeee

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Gun-Toting Russian Who Charged Onto a Soccer Field Just Became a Billionaire

bitterandtwisted posted:

Robocar intersection:

This only works if all of the cars are driven by robots.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

SpacePig posted:

You know you can go approximately 10mph above the posted speed limit and not be considered speeding, right? It's "conditions permitting", sure, but 3mph over the posted limit is nothing.

Find a black person who agrees with this.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Ten miles over a speed limit of twenty is reckless endangerment--a felony here.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

evobatman posted:

Find a black person who agrees with this.

I assumed the post was a joke in order to see how many goons fall for it and get speeding tickets.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
It really varies by the area. I got a warning for six over here in Idaho, but where I grew up in the Chicago suburbs no cop would waste their time or yours for less than eleven over unless you were doing something else on top of speeding.

(My late grandpa was a cop in Elmhurst and my dad tells me his cutoff was seven over.)

PERMACAV 50 has a new favorite as of 05:28 on Mar 22, 2018

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dewgy posted:

so i can go to sleep in the backseat and awaken only when it is time to stride imperiously from the burning wreckage of my gore-spattered murdermobile after it impacts my destination

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
That sounds pretty sweet actually.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

ultrafilter posted:

This only works if all of the cars are driven by robots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlwnOMB2oWA

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/976317504321617920

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/976282261262761984

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Shows how out of touch they are. Everyone knows the donut means 'shut up black people, I speak for you'.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

They've released the footage of the Uber crash now, car doesn't even slow down and the operator isn't looking. But apparently not at a cross walk means Uber is basically in the clear.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Florida: Where a criminal can seem like a better person than their victim
https://twitter.com/BSO/status/976170288743354368?s=19

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

baby would probably be better off it he kept it lol

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

MizPiz posted:

Florida: Where a criminal can seem like a better person than their victim
https://twitter.com/BSO/status/976170288743354368?s=19

Baby looks white, so would have been worth like 3x or 4x as much as the car if it's eyes stayed blue. This guy is a bad business man.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/julianrouth/status/976800481963139072

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

"Hey, I know we've been getting alerts for literally the past week about a noreaster that will basically cut off any and all travel in the state, but I should really still wait until the last possible second to file the paperwork that I definitely have done."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SpacePig posted:

"Hey, I know we've been getting alerts for literally the past week about a noreaster that will basically cut off any and all travel in the state, but I should really still wait until the last possible second to file the paperwork that I definitely have done."

It's this kind of seat-of-the-pants, throwing-caution-to-the-wind attitude that we need in Congress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless