Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

I really like Saladay as well in Taipei. Close to Taipei Arena MRT.

Saladay owns for, as the name would imply, salads.

Also if you're wiling to get a little ways out of town, Bruce's Kitchen is pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Oh man I was just reminded of another restaurant I forgot about that owns: Badasan, an Aboriginal restaurant up in Bali.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Goons, need some kinda urgent help. Anyone have recommendations for a store where I could pick up a dress shirt and blazer/suit jacket in Taipei? Someplace that will have somewhat larger sizes (can’t fit into an XL at Uniqlo or whathave you).

I’m in Hualien for the week but a firm wants to interview me ASAP Thursday morning, so I’m going to their Taipei office for a videocon interview. I need to pick up some formalish clothes and will only have a few hours tomorrow evening to do it, so I can’t waste too much time looking around.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

LimburgLimbo posted:

Goons, need some kinda urgent help. Anyone have recommendations for a store where I could pick up a dress shirt and blazer/suit jacket in Taipei? Someplace that will have somewhat larger sizes (can’t fit into an XL at Uniqlo or whathave you).

I’m in Hualien for the week but a firm wants to interview me ASAP Thursday morning, so I’m going to their Taipei office for a videocon interview. I need to pick up some formalish clothes and will only have a few hours tomorrow evening to do it, so I can’t waste too much time looking around.

Budget?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Nothing hard. Want to keep it within a few hundred USD.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Good luck!

Rush order something in brooks brothers I guess?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Thinking for shirts may hit up Aoyama-no-youfuku because they have a Taiwan store and I’ve had good luck with them in Japan. Tend to fit well off the rack with their large sizes.

Not sure what they have for blazers/jackets though.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The menswear floors at someplace like a Sogo or a Shin Kong Mitsukoshi may be able to sort you out. Brooks Brothers is more likely to have your size but less likely to be within your budget, unless you catch a sale.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My large friend recommended this place for slacks.

https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place...1.5403318?hl=en

"Pants Kingdom"

Apparently buying shirts was less of an issue for him than pants.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It's also possible G2000 will have a jacket that will fit. https://www.google.co.jp/maps/search/g2000/@25.0519948,121.540324,12z/data=!3m1!4b1?hl=en

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Atlas Hugged posted:

My large friend recommended this place for slacks.

https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place...1.5403318?hl=en

"Pants Kingdom"

Apparently buying shirts was less of an issue for him than pants.

"The biggest birds can fit into these jeans"

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I don't know about slacks but Pants Kingdom is OK for jeans, if you want to pay out the loving rear end for them.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

I don't know about slacks but Pants Kingdom is OK for jeans, if you want to pay out the loving rear end for them.

look, it's Pants Kingdom, not Pants Duchy

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Awesome, thanks for the recs all. May pass on the slacks and just go for a shirt and blazer and go business casual. Slacks are always a hassle anyway because I have a massive rear end despite not being too fat so that’s the usual hang up.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Nothing stopping you from wearing a sarong.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Gotta aim for that diversity quota hire

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Dress shirts and blazer got, had a single one that fit my shoulders off the rack and even had time to tailor the sleeves to length. Thanks for the recs dudes.

Coming from basically only spending time in Kaohsiung and Hualien I gotta day Taipei is quite nice. Way cleaner and international, which is know is kinda obvious but I so strongly associate Taiwan with the smaller cities that I almost forget there’s a fair international city here.

Hopefully I can move over in a couple years and maybe not nosedive my career in doing so.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I've seen a lot of warnings in this thread not to drive as a tourist in Taiwan. Is this equally true for urban versus rural driving?

We're going to be spending a few days in Hualien. I've been considering renting a car for a day to drive down the coast just to see sights and explore a bit. Maybe loop back through the East Rift Valley. I get the impression online that the east side of the island is less crazy to drive.

How stupid is this idea?

Bonus follow up: I assume trying to drive into Taroko Gorge instead of taking a tour bus actually is stupid?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

incogneato posted:

I've seen a lot of warnings in this thread not to drive as a tourist in Taiwan. Is this equally true for urban versus rural driving?

We're going to be spending a few days in Hualien. I've been considering renting a car for a day to drive down the coast just to see sights and explore a bit. Maybe loop back through the East Rift Valley. I get the impression online that the east side of the island is less crazy to drive.

How stupid is this idea?

Bonus follow up: I assume trying to drive into Taroko Gorge instead of taking a tour bus actually is stupid?

Driving in Taiwan isn't that bad, but this is relative to the rest of Asia and not to the west. The big issue is that there are going to be swarms of scooters and they'll often hang out in your blind spots. If you've driven in other countries in Asia, you should be fine, but if it's your first time, you're not going to have an appreciation for the flow of traffic or dealing with drivers who just do not give a gently caress about you.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

incogneato posted:

How stupid is this idea?

Driving should be fine there, the thing about driving in cities is you need to drive defensively and be wary of how scooters move in swarms, might want to be careful if you're on mountain roads. Don't assume people will stop at lights or stay in lanes, etc. I literally had no idea why "Asian drivers" was a thing and didn't have a clear idea of what it meant until I came here.

Taking scooters up and down the coast is a good time.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Awesome, thanks for the answers. I'm specifically avoiding larger cities (except getting out of Hualien I suppose) and just driving the coastal highway and possibly Rift Valley (11 and 9, according to Google Maps?). We'd be renting a small car for the day, not scooters. I haven't driven in Asia before, but I was hoping that the more rural east coast highways would be less scooter swarms and crazy traffic situations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

incogneato posted:

Awesome, thanks for the answers. I'm specifically avoiding larger cities (except getting out of Hualien I suppose) and just driving the coastal highway and possibly Rift Valley (11 and 9, according to Google Maps?). We'd be renting a small car for the day, not scooters. I haven't driven in Asia before, but I was hoping that the more rural east coast highways would be less scooter swarms and crazy traffic situations.

You'll avoid the bad traffic and swarms you'd see in Taipei, but you're going to be dealing with roads that are likely worse in maintenance and visibility and drivers that are far more likely to completely ignore traffic rules because no one is bothering to enforce them. At least, this is what southern Taiwan is like.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

incogneato posted:

coastal highway should be easy peasy

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Just posting so I can find my previous posts with the "?"

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

incogneato posted:

Last time I went to Hualien, it was okay. Driving up the gorge is fine, just during the day as tourists flow in, there will be backups where the road narrows and where there is construction going on. The road through most of it is a better quality than most Taiwanese mountain roads, but quickly changes above a certain point, back to atypical Taiwan mountain road, where you'll need to be careful and vigilant. Generally speaking, unless you're going to Hehuanshan (or traveling the cross central highway) there's no reason to be driving at that point. If you want to head up, I'd suggest going up in the early morning, before it gets filled with busses and other tourists.

As it has already been mentioned, enforcement of driving laws is more lax outside of Taipei, and there's more people willing to drive like assholes. Thankfully, there'll be less people on the road in general. Just general advice of don't let assholes pressure you into driving outside of your comfort zone and what is safe.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I'm at the 95% point of taking the plunge and coming to Taiwan at the beginning of September to continue teaching ESL. Thanks for the posts everyone made much earlier, I did in fact read them!

I've got just a few questions:

What's the internet like, and how much is it per month?

Ditto for mobile phone deals.

What's the messenger app(s) of choice and are there goon groups?

As a teacher with 2.5 years experience, what is the ballpark figure I should be expecting per month, and how many hours? I've already been looking on Dave'sESL and TEFL.com.

How likely am I to be able to get overtime hours?

Are there any websites for finding students or side gigs? Here in Russia there are a few websites and you can easily be making 2 or 3 times as much that way per Ac.Hour than working for your school.

What are people's experiences with the 3 big cities? I'm currently leaning towards Taipei as I feel like it has more opportunities in a number of ways.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Xerxes17 posted:

I'm at the 95% point of taking the plunge and coming to Taiwan at the beginning of September to continue teaching ESL. Thanks for the posts everyone made much earlier, I did in fact read them!

My information isn't going to be up to date. But cheap and fast is how I remember it. You should expect unlimited data for your phone if you are on a contract.

quote:

LINE, yes.

quote:

As a teacher with 2.5 years experience, what is the ballpark figure I should be expecting per month, and how many hours? I've already been looking on Dave'sESL and TEFL.com.

50k minimum, though some place will still try to low ball that and others will pay you 70-80k depending on the type of gig it is. A lot of jobs are still hourly, I believe.

quote:

Depending on the job, fairly.

quote:

Are there any websites for finding students or side gigs? Here in Russia there are a few websites and you can easily be making 2 or 3 times as much that way per Ac.Hour than working for your school.

I know Tealit had a tutoring section at one point. I think it's still technically illegal but not (or rarely) enforced in practice.

quote:

What are people's experiences with the 3 big cities? I'm currently leaning towards Taipei as I feel like it has more opportunities in a number of ways.

Taipei is cool. I haven't spent much time in Taichung. Kaohsiung is fine and has a limited if expanding metro. They're all connected by the HSR so you can live wherever you want (or can find a decent job) and travel between them easily enough.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Xerxes17 posted:

In Taichung, good plans (good speed + unlimited 4G) will cost around 100 USD a month. You can find some cheaper of course if you shop around. There apparently was a huge 499 NT sale of unlimited plans by Taiwan Mobile over the weekend that had lines of people trying to save 10 bucks a month on.

quote:

Same as above, everyone uses LINE.

quote:

As a teacher with 2.5 years experience, what is the ballpark figure I should be expecting per month, and how many hours? I've already been looking on Dave'sESL and TEFL.com.How likely am I to be able to get overtime hours?
I'm very far out of the ESL game but this is all dependent on the age range you plan on teaching. Younger kids could mean more morning work, most standard cram school jobs are 4-9. Most places also have Saturday classes and 3/4 times a year Saturdays are made workdays by the government, if you care about that.

quote:

tealit is the most common for starting. Most people start at 1000 NT an hour.
Each city has their plusses and minuses. Taipei feels like twice as expensive as the other cities, especially when it comes to rent in better areas. 50K in Taipei is going to feel bad when your rent is 15K not including utilities.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

GoutPatrol posted:

tealit is the most common for starting. Most people start at 1000 NT an hour.
Each city has their plusses and minuses. Taipei feels like twice as expensive as the other cities, especially when it comes to rent in better areas. 50K in Taipei is going to feel bad when your rent is 15K not including utilities.

Your rent in Taipei can easily be under 10k for a fine apartment, though.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Xerxes17 posted:

net is 400-800NT a month depending on what speeds you want

4G unlimited plans can be had for 600-800/month on a two year contract, sometimes one; there's a lot of deals that keep popping up, though they may not be well advertised at all

LINE owns, join the goon group for local shitposting

Taipei tends to be the place to go, though ymmv depending on where you live and where you teach. your money goes much, much further the farther away you are from main areas. as mentioned, 15k can get you an ok apartment closer to the city, or a really goddamn nice place with on-site facilities in other areas

from what i can poorly remember, taipei tends to be muggy as gently caress due to the lack of air movement and could use a lot more greenery in most places, kaohsiung is nicer but gets pretty blazin in the summer, taichung gets the most air pollution and has no MRT (though it's supposed to be finished by end of this year i think), hualien/taidong are nice nature-y areas but also get hit the hardest by typhoons and earthquakes

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

duckfarts posted:

from what i can poorly remember, taipei tends to be muggy as gently caress due to the lack of air movement and could use a lot more greenery in most places, kaohsiung is nicer but gets pretty blazin in the summer, taichung gets the most air pollution and has no MRT (though it's supposed to be finished by end of this year i think), hualien/taidong are nice nature-y areas but also get hit the hardest by typhoons and earthquakes

I will die before the first Taichung MRT line starts

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
Here is a good break down of available Internet options in Taipei/Taiwan

DSL(not including line rental):
http://adsl.mydosi.com/?yan=mydosiall

Cable:
http://adsl.mydosi.com/?yan=mydosiall2&kdc=&kdc2=

Fiber:
https://www.taipeifiber.com.tw/cityfiber_index.aspx

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks a lot guys!

Also, do they count work by 60min hours or with 45min academic hours?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

if you're considering non-Taipei cities, do it. Taipei is nice and you're right that there are more opportunities, but if you stay here long enough you will almost inevitably end up in Taipei eventually and once you're here you're unlikely to move to another city, so if you want that breadth of experience, don't start in Taipei. Also tbqh Kaohsiung is nice as hell, at least from the times I've visited.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Xerxes17 posted:

Thanks a lot guys!

Also, do they count work by 60min hours or with 45min academic hours?

In my experience, schools count whatever their standard block of time is as the "hour" so it could be 45 minutes or 60 minutes. Tutoring is always by the full hour.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

if you're considering non-Taipei cities, do it. Taipei is nice and you're right that there are more opportunities, but if you stay here long enough you will almost inevitably end up in Taipei eventually and once you're here you're unlikely to move to another city, so if you want that breadth of experience, don't start in Taipei. Also tbqh Kaohsiung is nice as hell, at least from the times I've visited.

Yeah, honestly, I’d be down to live in Kaohsiung but it’s a lot harder to find tech jobs there

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I'll try not to :justpost: too much, but I'll be asking questions as they come to me.

Is the tap-water drinkable? The water in St. Petersburg is infamously bad due to the ancient plumbing all over the place.

Edit: How many goons still around?

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 15, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The tap water isn’t drinkable, nah.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
People, especially locals, have a suspicious view of tap water here since it wasn’t always potable. A lot of them will tell you it’s not safe, but they’re mostly wrong.

However, Taipei City tap water is completely fine to drink. There’s a small chance that older buildings’ plumbing might leach lead so you can test your water if you’re concerned. Most people use a Brita filter, but it’s a superstitious/flavor thing since those filters will have little effect on dangerous contamination. Some older people still boil water before using it, but since there’s no bacteria problem (and boiling doesn’t effect heavy metals) it’s also unnecessary. Public drinking fountains often have water quality test reports on the fountain showing that it’s ok to drink.

Some areas in southern Taiwan naturally have high arsenic in the groundwater. If you move there you should not drink tap water. Buy drinking water in refillable containers from a water station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Yeah in my experience Taipei tap water is mostly fine, I've drunk it from time to time for over a decade and it's never done me any harm. People will think you're a weirdo for it though.